Should I run audy before or after the mini dsp 2x4hd - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By jwskud
  • 2 Post By Xcakez
  • 1 Post By Jimmy2Shoes
  • 1 Post By Xcakez
  • 1 Post By Spidacat

post #1 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Should I run audy before or after the mini dsp 2x4hd

So I got a new receiver denon x3600h with audy xt32 I'm coming from a pioneer vsx-1131 which had basic mcacc and didnt touch the subs I have a mini dsp 2x4hd inline wit a house curve in place my question is should I let xt32 run with the mini dsp filters off than add my house curve or should I run it after I eq in my house curve? Never had audessy before so I'm not exactly sure the right order or should i just hook both sub lines to the receiver and let that set the delays and such and just run dynamic eq?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I'm no expert, but here's what an expert said to do, whether running one sub or multiples:

As per post 36278 of the Rythmik sub owners thread, @enricoclaudio recommends the following process:
“I don't like to use SubEQ HT when using miniDSP as I do prefer to time align the subwoofers on the miniDSP then show the subwoofers as one to Audyssey or Dirac or whatever room correction system your receiver or pre pro comes with.”

Thus, it is recommended that the duals be time-aligned with the miniDSP first, in order to present them as a “single sub” to the room correction system. Another benefit here is that you can conquer the largest peaks and dips using the miniDSP first, then allow your AVR to "fine tune" the final EQ. For more information on this process, ask on the forum or check out the miniDSP thread on AVS.

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; Rythmik FAQ
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 Ultra and Isobar 4; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
post #3 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
I'm no expert, but here's what an expert said to do, whether running one sub or multiples:

As per post 36278 of the Rythmik sub owners thread, @enricoclaudio recommends the following process:
“I don't like to use SubEQ HT when using miniDSP as I do prefer to time align the subwoofers on the miniDSP then show the subwoofers as one to Audyssey or Dirac or whatever room correction system your receiver or pre pro comes with.”

Thus, it is recommended that the duals be time-aligned with the miniDSP first, in order to present them as a “single sub” to the room correction system. Another benefit here is that you can conquer the largest peaks and dips using the miniDSP first, then allow your AVR to "fine tune" the final EQ. For more information on this process, ask on the forum or check out the miniDSP thread on AVS.
That's spot on miniDsp before Audy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post

Ok that makes sense so run 1 sub line from receiver to 2x4hd than 2 out of dsp to subs as of now I have them time aligned pretty good my question to you now is I added a house curve wouldnt audy try to make that curve flat? And negate the house curve I added? Or would it just tighten up the curve more?
post #5 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

This is my response as of now that's with zero smoothing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200326_071527_1585221365646.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2701868  
darthray and badtlc like this.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcakez View Post
Ok that makes sense so run 1 sub line from receiver to 2x4hd than 2 out of dsp to subs as of now I have them time aligned pretty good my question to you now is I added a house curve wouldnt audy try to make that curve flat? And negate the house curve I added? Or would it just tighten up the curve more?
That's correct, if you add a house curve Audy will flatten it out as that's what it does, You can add the house curve after but will loose the ability to DEQ which is Audyssey own house curve
I would try out DEQ if your subs are showing a nice FR and see what you think, if the bass is too overbearing try a thing called Cascading Crossover, i found this with DEQ to work really well in my system but YMMV
post #7 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:23 AM

The thing about adding a house curve to your sub is that the rest of the speakers are still corrected to flat with no house curve, you can use the Curve editor on the App to introduce a House Curve on them too, there is a program called Ratbuddy that can help you with this
post #8 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:25 AM

post #9 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Fantastic FR BTW
post #10 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2Shoes View Post
The thing about adding a house curve to your sub is that the rest of the speakers are still corrected to flat with no house curve, you can use the Curve editor on the App to introduce a House Curve on them too, there is a program called Ratbuddy that can help you with this
ok so basically use the mini dsp to try and get a nice flat response than run audessy after than run dynamic eq and let the receiver put it's own house curve ok I will be installing the receiver soon as I get out of work today I will get back to you if needed appreciate the help
Jimmy2Shoes likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2Shoes View Post
That's correct, if you add a house curve Audy will flatten it out as that's what it does, You can add the house curve after but will loose the ability to DEQ which is Audyssey own house curve
I would try out DEQ if your subs are showing a nice FR and see what you think, if the bass is too overbearing try a thing called Cascading Crossover, i found this with DEQ to work really well in my system but YMMV
The first part is correct (assuming you meant that if you have a house curve entered beforehand, then run Audyssey, it will be flattened by Audyssey) and good advise, but the underlined part is not. There is nothing stopping you from using both a house curve and still enabling DynEQ. You probably wouldn't want to do both but you could if you wanted to. I prefer my house curve (after Audyssey) over DynEQ (boosted surrounds too much for me), but YMMV.
Jimmy2Shoes likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
The first part is correct (assuming you meant that if you have a house curve entered beforehand, then run Audyssey, it will be flattened by Audyssey) and good advise, but the underlined part is not. There is nothing stopping you from using both a house curve and still enabling DynEQ. You probably wouldn't want to do both but you could if you wanted to. I prefer my house curve (after Audyssey) over DynEQ (boosted surrounds too much for me), but YMMV.
I suppose it depends on the boost you give on the sub on the MiniDsp if you can use DEQ with it. A lot of people I talked to prefer the house curve over DEQ, I personally tried both and found DEQ to be too much and than started using the Curve editor to make my own House Curve on all speakers inc sub. Which I did enjoy
When I started reading about Cascading Crossover's and setting it to 80hz it really made sense to me and thought that would make perfect sense for DEQ, I don't so much mind the rise in SPL on the surrounds but more the extra lfe that comes with it which I found took from the main stage, limiting them to 80hz brought the system back into balance for me making dialogue a lot clearer and bass in general a lot tighter.
I may try the house curve again now that I have a bit of time on my hands

Main thing is that the OP has a great FR on the subs and can explore any options he desires because of this
I do recommend purchasing the Multi Eq App straight off the bat as it is very useful
post #13 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3323 Post(s)
Liked: 3122
Forget Dynamic EQ. Geesh, all that work to get your curves just right then completely screw it up running some wack receiver mode?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Quote:

Change the scale to 5 db instead of the 10 it is on now. It will give you a more accurate reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page