Sub recommendation and position for my room for around 600-800$ - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By AR Crom
  • 1 Post By bad1550
  • 1 Post By AR Crom
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-27-2020, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Red face Sub recommendation and position for my room for around 600-800$

Hi there,

I am looking for my first subwoofer for a home theater setup, so the main use will be movies. I will be using a Marantz SR5013 as receiver. The room configuration is as follows:

It would be nice that the price stays below 800$, and I would prefer to just have one subwoofer (I think it is enough for the room size).

The models I have narrowed down are:

SVS-PB2000, a bit too expensive already
SVS-PB1000
SVS-SB2000

but I would be open for other options. Note: I am living in Switzerland, so some American brands are not so available here.

The placement idea would be at the left corner (from the listener perspective).

Thank you!
AR Crom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 03-27-2020, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Is XTZ Sound a company that you can get over there?
GeoJustGeo is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 03-27-2020, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJustGeo View Post
Is XTZ Sound a company that you can get over there?
I just checked and YES! They can be sent from Germany. I have to say they look extremely good.
GeoJustGeo likes this.
AR Crom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 03-27-2020, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
bad1550's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 51
My current setup due to space limitations as shown. Are my main speakers slightly behind large 15" subs positioned properly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200321_122537_1585317838226.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	4.58 MB
ID:	2702298  
bad1550 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 03-27-2020, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
corwiniii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southern CT
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Regarding the OPs sub positioning, each room is different and a sub can perform differently in different locations. So, the optimum solution is to place the sub where it responds best in the room. The practical solution is usually different for most people; in this case, the two full corners you have along the image's right wall (next to the seating position first choice, next to the left speaker second choice) will probably work well and give additional extension.

Klipsch RP-8000F L/R | Klipsch RP-504C C | elemental Designs A6-6T6 MTM surrounds | Rythmik FV18 Rev2 Paper Cone Black Matte + Elemental Designs A5-350 Restored! | Denon AVR-S920W | Vizio P75-C1
corwiniii is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 03-27-2020, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Crom View Post
I just checked and YES! They can be sent from Germany. I have to say they look extremely good.
I have their big boy the 3x12, its a beast! I definitely recommend their products, mainly if you're overseas!
GeoJustGeo is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 03-27-2020, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1550 View Post
My current setup due to space limitations as shown. Are my main speakers slightly behind large 15" subs positioned properly?
The usual recommendation is to pull your speakers away from walls and corners, but when you have limitations there is only so much you can do. Looks good to me.

Dual Monolith 15's must sound awesome in that room!
GeoJustGeo is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 03-27-2020, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
bad1550's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Yes, Very happy with the setup. Received excellent customer service and support from Monoprice
Thanks
GeoJustGeo likes this.
bad1550 is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 03-28-2020, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJustGeo View Post
I have their big boy the 3x12, its a beast! I definitely recommend their products, mainly if you're overseas!
I have been checking them and thought the 12.17 no edge would be ideal. The 700w from the edge version could be too much. Unfortunately I realized yesterday that the non edge versions are discontinued...

So I would have now to decide whether to buy the 10.17 edge (20 - 160 Hz/700W/700e) or the 12.17 edge (19 - 160 Hz/700W/800e).

Do you think the 10" would be enough? Is the 1 Hz difference noticeable? I have the feeling that if I buy the 10" I will be thinking about the sound of the 12".

I can also try to do some search in the second hand market, but those 12.17 seem to be very demanded.

Edit: I am not so sure that the non-edge versions are discontinued. In the international version of XTZ they are just out of stock. I have sent them an email to confirm. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by AR Crom; 03-28-2020 at 12:37 AM.
AR Crom is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 03-28-2020, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by corwiniii View Post
Regarding the OPs sub positioning, each room is different and a sub can perform differently in different locations. So, the optimum solution is to place the sub where it responds best in the room. The practical solution is usually different for most people; in this case, the two full corners you have along the image's right wall (next to the seating position first choice, next to the left speaker second choice) will probably work well and give additional extension.
Yes, those are perfect position candidates. From what I read about subwoofers I will have to do some "crawling" to find the perfect spot for it. I hope I can notice the difference and know how to set it up well (since it's my first SW). In any case I got this from the manual:

Quote:
In most rooms, the optimum location for your subwoofer is in the closest solid front corner or somewhere along the front wall in line with your front speaker.
This location typically offers optimal energy coupling with the room, front-speakers and the deepest low frequency extension, with the best high impact bass.
AR Crom is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 03-28-2020, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
d-rail34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Longville, LA.
Posts: 1,322
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Crom View Post
I have been checking them and thought the 12.17 no edge would be ideal. The 700w from the edge version could be too much. Unfortunately I realized yesterday that the non edge versions are discontinued...

So I would have now to decide whether to buy the 10.17 edge (20 - 160 Hz/700W/700e) or the 12.17 edge (19 - 160 Hz/700W/800e).

Do you think the 10" would be enough? Is the 1 Hz difference noticeable? I have the feeling that if I buy the 10" I will be thinking about the sound of the 12".

I can also try to do some search in the second hand market, but those 12.17 seem to be very demanded.

Edit: I am not so sure that the non-edge versions are discontinued. In the international version of XTZ they are just out of stock. I have sent them an email to confirm. Fingers crossed.
Looking at their website (EUR), and they're showing the 12.17 EDGE in stock and ON SALE!

Also, having that extra bit of power on hand is never a bad idea, because it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.


Here's the link for what I'm seeing:
https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/sub-...ltProd=9841160

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelf (4) w/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S/Rythmik T-Shirt (1)
d-rail34 is online now  
post #12 of 15 Old 03-29-2020, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,397
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked: 3288
The 10.17 Edge is also on sale and 100 euros less expensive, if cost is an issue. The 10.17 non-edge is even less costly.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 03-29-2020 at 03:47 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #13 of 15 Old 04-01-2020, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thank you guys! I didn't realised they were on sale, I was just focused on the german page. I spoke to them and it is possible to order them with the discount, so I will try to order the 12.17 Edge !
d-rail34 likes this.
AR Crom is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 04-02-2020, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,397
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked: 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Crom View Post
Thank you guys! I didn't realised they were on sale, I was just focused on the german page. I spoke to them and it is possible to order them with the discount, so I will try to order the 12.17 Edge !
Please return and give us your assessment of the product when you have it dialed in.
d-rail34 likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
post #15 of 15 Old 04-02-2020, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
d-rail34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Longville, LA.
Posts: 1,322
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
THIS!! ^^^^

And post pics, or it didn't happen!

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelf (4) w/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S/Rythmik T-Shirt (1)
d-rail34 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off