1Likes
  • 1 Post By Balbolito

post #1 of 7 Old 04-01-2020, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Dual Subs minidsp 2x4HD help

All, read the minidsp guide and watched the videos on gain matching with the minidsp and want to make sure I am reading this right on my first sub I should use the actual gain knob on the sub itself to set roughly 72db at the MLP. Then, move the second sub to the exact location of sub 1 and check the db level. My question is, do I manually adjust the gain on the 2nd sub itself to make any volume changes or use the minidsp to adjust the change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-01-2020, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
All, read the minidsp guide and watched the videos on gain matching with the minidsp and want to make sure I am reading this right on my first sub I should use the actual gain knob on the sub itself to set roughly 72db at the MLP. Then, move the second sub to the exact location of sub 1 and check the db level. My question is, do I manually adjust the gain on the 2nd sub itself to make any volume changes or use the minidsp to adjust the change?
Using the sub gain knob or adjusting it from the Minidsp is the same. just make sure you use one of them.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-01-2020, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
Using the sub gain knob or adjusting it from the Minidsp is the same. just make sure you use one of them.
Thanks, I assumed either would be fine but wanted to double check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-01-2020, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 851
When gain matching you want to have the mic close to the sub. I think I did 6-8” in front of my fv18 cones. I used the actual gain on the sub.

I don’t recall but I think I set mine to 85-90db simply due to the loss over the distance to your MLP.

Do the same for sub 2.

Some recommend doing this gain matching in the middle of your room so the room has no effects on it. Others have said you can do it in their locations as the mic is so close to the sub. I did mine in the middle of my room but also verified it in their final spots too. Both locations measured the same in my space.

If you measure at the MLP it’s called level matching. I prefer gain matching.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-01-2020, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 901
most recommendations are doing it about 2 inches in front of your cones. adding more distance would introduce the effects of the room on the measured level which isn't something you would want. the whole point of gain-matching is that you want the raw measured spl of your sub without the sound of the room in it.

each meter(3.3ft) away from your sub you would loose 3db of output. so lets say if your sub are 13ft from your MLP they should each measure around 84-85db, so the total combined response is around 75db for both at your MLP (each would be around 72-73db at your MLP). of course this is just an example and a few tries should be done till you get it right.

This is a very useful 14m video it will answer most of your concerns , also talks about measuring at the sub's cone or moving each sub to the same position.
pixphipau likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-01-2020, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

All, how do I get the REW preferences to see my AVR instead just my laptop? Cannot run sweeps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200401_164437_1585777734926.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	7.47 MB
ID:	2704438  
post #7 of 7 Old 04-02-2020, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
Also, I recommend using the HDMI connection method

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) QSC 2180 - (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune - 2 Devastator Minis B&C21ds115 - 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page