Klipsch SPL-120 - Is it good enough? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By eljaycanuck
  • 2 Post By Kini62
  • 1 Post By Vitus4K

post #1 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Klipsch SPL-120 - Is it good enough?

My system will consist of RP-8000F's, RP-504C, and perhaps two SPL-120's.

I understand that the lower, the better, but I'm thinking these might be good enough?

It's a 20x12' room, an archway leading out to the hallway, otherwise sealed.

Four bass traps in all four corners, diffusers on the rear wall.

Fronts will be positioned directly in front of the bass traps, with the subwoofers on the inside, for increased channel separation.

The SPL-120 is rated to 24hz, SPL-150 comes in at 18hz.

The thing is, the SPL-150's are massive, SPL-120's are more manageable, I could even fit great aftermarket isolation feets.

With the SPL-150 the subwoofer would come close to my screen, maybe with a 2,35" clearance, I think this is too close.

Will the dual SPL-120's be enough for satisfy ones needs for movies?

I have a great deal on these, two for $1000.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitus4K View Post
My system will consist of RP-8000F's, RP-504C, and perhaps two SPL-120's.

I understand that the lower, the better, but I'm thinking these might be good enough?

It's a 20x12' room, an archway leading out to the hallway, otherwise sealed.

Four bass traps in all four corners, diffusers on the rear wall.

Fronts will be positioned directly in front of the bass traps, with the subwoofers on the inside, for increased channel separation.

The SPL-120 is rated to 24hz, SPL-150 comes in at 18hz.

The thing is, the SPL-150's are massive, SPL-120's are more manageable, I could even fit great aftermarket isolation feets.

With the SPL-150 the subwoofer would come close to my screen, maybe with a 2,35" clearance, I think this is too close.

Cheers!
At the far end of any speaker rating (24 or 18 Hz.) that's at the maximum distortion level they wish to divulge. So for me, if I wanted a solid 24 Hz. I get the 15". If I wanted a solid less-than-20 Hz. I'd go for a more expensive brand. The new Klipsch's (SPL line) seem better than the previous models based on reviews and they are a good 'bang for the buck' though.
post #3 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2122 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Assuming an 8' ceiling, your space is just under 2,000 cu.ft. The SPL-120s could work in there, especially if the archway isn't too large and you're on a suspended floor. That said, at $950, shipped, a pair of Monoprice Monolith 10" subs might be a better choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
At the far end of any speaker rating (24 or 18 Hz.) that's at the maximum distortion level they wish to divulge. So for me, if I wanted a solid 24 Hz. I get the 15". If I wanted a solid less-than-20 Hz. I'd go for a more expensive brand. The new Klipsch's (SPL line) seem better than the previous models based on reviews and they are a good 'bang for the buck' though.
This is very much like my thinking as well, 24Hz is the absolute lowest of the SPL-120, not the realistic number one should expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Assuming an 8' ceiling, your space is just under 2,000 cu.ft. The SPL-120s could work in there, especially if the archway isn't too large and you're on a suspended floor. That said, at $950, shipped, a pair of Monoprice Monolith 10" subs might be a better choice.
Spot on, archway is perhaps 4 feet across, 7 feet high, rounded arch.

Suspended wooden floor, planning on adding SVS Soundpath isolation feet, decoupling should be very good.

Those Monolith's looks good, however they don't sell in my country, I live in Sweden.

See these, they're $1200 a pair, scroll down for specifications, translated from Swedish to English through Google.

https://translate.google.com/transla...edge-mattsvart

18 - 180 Hz (+/- 3 dB)
1045 W Peak / 700 W RMS, Class-D, ICEpower
0-180 Degree Variable Phase
3x EQ, PEQ
57lbs
5 Year Warranty

They seem like a steal to me, however they won't match the Klipsch.

Thoughts?
post #5 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitus4K
… Those Monolith's looks good, however they don't sell in my country, I live in Sweden.

See these, they're $1200 a pair, scroll down for specifications, translated from Swedish to English through Google.

Thoughts?
Those subs will easily outperform the Klipsch subs. IMO they're worth the extra money if you can afford it.
drh3b and d-rail34 like this.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Those subs will easily outperform the Klipsch subs. IMO they're worth the extra money if you can afford it.

If you had to choose, those or dual SPL-150's?

Movies only.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 08:08 AM

I'd probably go with the XTZ. They're well-rated, a bit more powerful (500W vs 400W) and offer tuning flexibility.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I bought a pair of the SPL-120s a little while back, mostly bc it had good enough reviews and i wanted everything matching. I had the same speakers as you.

I had no issue with them, but i kept reading about other subs, and bought a pair from HSU to see what the deal was. And the HSU definitely out performs the Klipsch for movies. That being said i wasnt disappointed with the Klipsch and had i not tried something else out id still be fine with them. I even prefer them for music. So now running all 4 subs which is really great but if i was choosing a pair all over again i would go another route than the klipsch if i wanted the best for my money. So if good enough is fine with you, and you like the look and size then youll be plenty happy with them. If all thats important is bang for your buck then you may want to look elsewhere.

Emotiva XMC-2 | Monoprice 7X | Outlaw 5000 | Arendal 1723S Towers-Center-Surrounds-Monitors | Klipsch CDT 5650 | Polk V60 | Klipsch SPL-120 (2)|
HSU VTF3 MK5 (2) | Crown XLS 1002 | Buttkicker LFE Mini (4) | Eaton 5PX 1500|
JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16x9| Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450 | Logitech Harmony Hub
post #9 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
Quote:

Cheers!
What will satisfy one person may not satisfy the next person. Are you able to stretch your budget beyond $1000?

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) QSC 2180 - (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune - 2 Devastator Minis B&C21ds115 - 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #10 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
What will satisfy one person may not satisfy the next person. Are you able to stretch your budget beyond $1000?
Yes, but I don't see Klipsch as very high-end, I would much rather go Arendal's but then I would pick sealed Rythmik's.

Arendal's would require me to change amplifier, they go as low as 3,2 ohm's, mine is rated 6-16 ohm.

I have the Sony STR-DN1080, would change to Pioneer SC-LX801 if going with Arendal's, but that's a completely different league.

I'll see, I have a rather nice contact which give me good prices, if I can get dual SPL-150's for not much more than dual SPL-120's, I'm game.

I can stretch, no issues, but not with Klipsch, if that answers your question, thanks by the way.
post #11 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
This is very much like my thinking as well, 24Hz is the absolute lowest of the SPL-120, not the realistic number one should expect.

Spot on, archway is perhaps 4 feet across, 7 feet high, rounded arch.

Suspended wooden floor, planning on adding SVS Soundpath isolation feet, decoupling should be very good.

Those Monolith's looks good, however they don't sell in my country, I live in Sweden.

18 - 180 Hz (+/- 3 dB)
1045 W Peak / 700 W RMS, Class-D, ICEpower
0-180 Degree Variable Phase
3x EQ, PEQ
57lbs
5 Year Warranty

Thoughts?

Curious. What do you mean by match? The finish, or the sound.
post #12 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrythm1k View Post
Curious. What do you mean by match? The finish, or the sound.
Finish, in case I decide to go clothes off.

Subwoofers don't matter in terms of sound, though, I'd much rather take a sealed Rythmik over pretty much anything.

They're twice the price, though, if not more.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 2790
Quote:

Movies only.
Get the Xtz subs. They're based in Europe so service if needed should be better. Plus they're an all around better sub.
drh3b and d-rail34 like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #14 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Finish, in case I decide to go clothes off.

Subwoofers don't matter in terms of sound, though, I'd much rather take a sealed Rythmik over pretty much anything.

They're twice the price, though, if not more.

Ok. Just wondering. Some people think there’s some kind of synergistic thing with subs from their respective speaker manufacturers.
I definitely agree with the Rythmik thing, but I’m a ported guy.
I would go with the XTZ as well.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok. Just wondering. Some people think there’s some kind of synergistic thing with subs from their respective speaker manufacturers.
I definitely agree with the Rythmik thing, but I’m a ported guy.
I would go with the XTZ as well.
Cheers for the input!

I have never liked a vented subwoofer to be fully honest, I always prefered sealed ones.

But due to the transition of strictly watching movies I have started to listen to what most people think and prefer.

A good sealed will cost much more than a decent vented, if vented gets my smile during those low-down-far reached sequences, I'm sold.

I see a greater use of a sealed construction when a constant rhythm and fast response is critical, like in music.

I think that almost anything can sound good for movies, it's not as precise as music, at least that's my take on it.

A setup made for music can be condemned really quick.

A setup made for movies just need some dynamics to be enjoyed, can sound great and made justice in any price range, really.

I'm quite clever, I store all my music library in DSD, because my A/V receiver don't feed the LFE channel with that format.

So no problem sporting massive vented subwoofers as they'll be completely ignored when listening to music.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Cheers for the input!

I have never liked a vented subwoofer to be fully honest, I always prefered sealed ones.

But due to the transition of strictly watching movies I have started to listen to what most people think and prefer.

A good sealed will cost much more than a decent vented, if vented gets my smile during those low-down-far reached sequences, I'm sold.

I see a greater use of a sealed construction when a constant rhythm and fast response is critical, like in music.

I think that almost anything can sound good for movies, it's not as precise as music, at least that's my take on it.

A setup made for music can be condemned really quick.

A setup made for movies just need some dynamics to be enjoyed, can sound great and made justice in any price range, really.

I'm quite clever, I store all my music library in DSD, because my A/V receiver don't feed the LFE channel with that format.

So no problem sporting massive vented subwoofers as they'll be completely ignored when listening to music.

While we definitely don’t share the same philosophies on subwoofers lol, I can say with honesty I’m glad you are considering the XTZ. In the long run it will be better.
FWIW, I’m not sure what music would send an LFE channel since that’s only in films. Unless you mean multichannel music?

Anyway, congrats.
post #17 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
While we definitely don’t share the same philosophies on subwoofers lol, I can say with honesty I’m glad you are considering the XTZ. In the long run it will be better.
FWIW, I’m not sure what music would send an LFE channel since that’s only in films. Unless you mean multichannel music?

Anyway, congrats.
By LFE I meant a subwoofer signal, it's sent by FLAC/WAV/PCM most all common music formats.

DSD is seen as a pure format where nothing should be altered or tampered with, much like Dolby Vision for video.

At least my amplifier does not send subwoofer signals with DSD, multichannel or not.
Polyrythm1k likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 03:55 PM

Ok. I follow you now.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 2790
Quote:
By LFE I meant a subwoofer signal, it's sent by FLAC/WAV/PCM most all common music formats.

DSD is seen as a pure format where nothing should be altered or tampered with, much like Dolby Vision for video.

At least my amplifier does not send subwoofer signals with DSD, multichannel or not.
DSD seems to be just a storage device/container- https://www.blisshq.com/music-librar...dio-libraries/

Also, if you have an amp/AVR that has a sub-out and bass management and have not set your main speakers as large or full range and are using a sub, the sub will get the bass from the crossover and under regardless of the incoming audio format. My AVR has 2 modes that don't use the sub, one is called pure direct and I can't remember the other. That's the only way for the subs to not be used.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #20 of 21 Old 04-07-2020, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Also, if you have an amp/AVR that has a sub-out and bass management and have not set your main speakers as large or full range and are using a sub, the sub will get the bass from the crossover and under regardless of the incoming audio format. My AVR has 2 modes that don't use the sub, one is called pure direct and I can't remember the other. That's the only way for the subs to not be used.
I need to enable 'DSD Native' for this to work, see below:

You can set the receiver to process
DSD (Direct Streaming Digital) signals directly without any signal conversion and derive intrinsic sound quality of DSD signals. When [DSD Native] is set to [On] and DSD signals are being played back, the settings of [Equalizer], [Sound Optimizer] and [Subwoofer Low Pass Filter], etc., are invalid, and the sound field does not work.

I haven't seen a DAC that allows for bass management in other formats than PCM.

I can't recall from memory if the subwoofer channel is active without enabling 'DSD Native'.

Sure sounds better with it enabled, no fuss having it enabled either, I see this whole story as a win win situation.

'Pure Direct' in my case just shuts down unused circuits and front display for less noise, if your display is an OLED it won't matter.
post #21 of 21 Old 04-07-2020, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Quote:

Movies only.
The XTZ's ALL DAY LONG! And with them on sale right now, I'd take advantage and get 2 of them.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and I look forward to your impressions.

Darrell

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelf (4) w/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S/Rythmik T-Shirt (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page