AVS Forum banner

Do I need to run REW if I have Anthem ARC?

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Philips752 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I took delivery of my SB16 Ultra yesterday, which I'll be running as a single sub for now.

Do I need to get REW involved or can I just rely on Anthem ARC to EQ it?

I think I've read elsewhere, if you have 2 subs, it's worth using REW as well?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
My opinion is that it is a must have anyway, specially when it is so affordable when you have spent all that money for equipment.
It will confirm the results with accurate data.
REW is free (but donation welcome) + a calibrated USB UMIK-1 for approx $100 from Cross Spectrum or Minidsp (might be less) + computer.
REW has a learning curve depending on how far you want to take it. But has great support from the programmer and forums AVS, Avnivana and Hometheatreshack. He has done a absolute fantastic job and continues to do so with updates.
Keep in mind that as good as AVR automated setups are and how far they have come they all have their faults. REW will help you to analyse with detailed information.
You can use REW to help find the best place for your speakers/sub so ARC can do a better job.
We all want the best with what we have and have just purchased.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Thanks, @Philips752, very useful.

I assume the Anthem calibrated mic should do the job? I've got an AVM60.

So use REW to find the best location for the sub first? But then, should I run ARC then REW? Or REW first and then ARC?

Thanks,

#4 ·
Reactions: DannyBoy73
#6 ·
REW + the Umik-1 will always be helpful, even with one sub, it will help you find the best position in the room for the sub, help you adjust your seating distance for the smoothest response and help you dial in the sub+speaker crossover transition with the SDT (sub distance tweek)

You can find good sub/seating position and adjust phase using Anthem's Quick Measure feature, though (IMHO) it will not be as good as REW, but definitely helpful

skip to 2minutes

#7 · (Edited)
All AVR/EQ processors have their limitations. Hey Dirac live has its limitations. So you have to give them a head start by setting up speakers, subs listening position/s as a solid starting point, the results will pay dividends.
To give you a example, rare but does happen, my speakers cost a fare bit and always thought it never sounded that great on HT, its set up more for 2 channel, so never really worried about too much. But hey I paid all that money. The AVR (which cost alot and was the flagship model) didn't pickup on it. The expensive center (weighs 16kg) was internally wired incorrectly, out of phase. Picked this up via REW. People tend to think they can let the AVR do everything, and they do a reasonable job but never perfect. Some are better than others. As much as technology has grown it is still far from perfect.

Acousticans, professional installers use REW. Manufacturers of acoustic paneling use REW.

At the end of the day it is up to you, you like the sound then sit back and enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.