Terrible idea.. or totally fine? Placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RayGuy

post #1 of 4 Old 05-20-2020, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Terrible idea.. or totally fine? Placement

Hey there, I'm in the process of building my home theater, and I went with 2 of the Monolith Monoprice 15" subs, and boy are these things massive. While a lot of my room is fairly ideal, placing the subs in a way that they are unobtrusive is - not so much. I understand the go to is doing a sub crawl, but in my research it also seems that with 2 of these subs, I should be pretty ok placing them anywhere as long as I put them on opposite sides of the room (the room is about 21'x18' with 11 foot ceiling). Feel free to correct me if I'm wildly wrong! In my idea the subs would be at the front left, and back right corners of the room.

My idea, that would look amazing and solve my space issue if its not terribly dumb, would be to remove the bottom section of a diagonal fireplace wall to create a cubby for one of the subs to slot into. We are redoing this fireplace already, so I know its physically possible, but I'm not sure if I would be ruining the ability of the sub to do its job in some way?

My thought is to lay the sub on its side (something that everything I can find online says shouldn't be a problem) and slot it into this niche tightly, with the front of the sub, and its 3 ports, even with the front of the wall.

Is this a "Go for it!" idea, or a "*sigh* what the hell are you thinking?" kind of idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireplace.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	2730010  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-20-2020, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 3274
Try it before you buy it, so to speak. See what kind of performance you will get from the sub in this position before committing. If that corner and the opposite corner work out, then you are fine, if not, you'll want to reconsider placement.

There are no guarantees. Try it and see.

One caveat, be sure there is a way for the heat to be removed from behind the sub. Vents, fans, whatever airflow is necessary to keep it cool.
eljaycanuck likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-20-2020 at 08:37 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-20-2020, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Try it before you buy it, so to speak. See what kind of performance you will get from the sub in this position before committing. If that corner and the opposite corner work out, then you are fine, if not, you'll want to reconsider placement.

There are no guarantees. Try it and see.

One caveat, be sure there is a way for the heat to be removed from behind the sub. Vents, fans, whatever airflow is necessary to keep it cool.
Hmmm, I didn't even consider that it might get hot. I can't say that I ever noticed my old sub generate heat, but these are a whole different beast to what I'm used to. Wouldn't any heat have to escape out the front ports? I'm thinking its a big sealed box by design, but I guess it does have a plate on the back, just didn't cross my mind it might need cooling.

As for trying it out... that's the hard part due to construction. There is no furniture, no AV equipment at all set up currently, and I can't really test it without removing drywall and removing the frame of the existing fireplace. I suppose I could set them up as close as possible to what I have in mind, but would that even accomplish anything considering the state of the existing room?

I guess my question wasn't so much "Is this going to be the best place in the room acoustically to place this sub" as it is "Will the sub still perform if the back and 4 sides are all encased in box?"

I think my biggest confusion is that I have read you need to place your sub 1 or 2 feet from any walls, or that it works best tucked in a corner, or right up against a wall... but I can't find much for physically inserting it into an alcove in a wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-21-2020, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Terrible idea.. or totally fine? Placement

There’s nothing wrong with placing a subwoofer in a corner like you are planning. According to the Harmon white paper, the most optimal placement would be centered on the front wall and one centered on the rear wall. Next would be centered on the side walls. After that opposite corners would be next. Of course this is for only using two subwoofers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page