Crossover Frequency for Subwoofer question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By badtlc
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainSensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Crossover Frequency for Subwoofer question

Recently moved so:

Most modern receivers are equipped with Audyssey software and hardware (mic) to calibrate your system.
I'm sure this has been asked before, but do some of you still do it the old fashion way where you spend like an hour or two trying to get the right crossover frequency for your sub and match it with your speakers for the best optimum sound?

How accurate do you find this method?

Also, do any of you still do the subwoofer crawl? (I'm thinking yes since Audyssey can't physically place the subwoofer where you want)
CaptainSensible is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
badtlc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSensible View Post
Recently moved so:

Most modern receivers are equipped with Audyssey software and hardware (mic) to calibrate your system.
I'm sure this has been asked before, but do some of you still do it the old fashion way where you spend like an hour or two trying to get the right crossover frequency for your sub and match it with your speakers for the best optimum sound?

How accurate do you find this method?

Also, do any of you still do the subwoofer crawl? (I'm thinking yes since Audyssey can't physically place the subwoofer where you want)

Each crossover setting will impact the response of your system. I think most on here probably use REW and a calibrated USB mic to test the different crossover settings and choose the one that integrates the speakers the best. This is probably the most accurate method.


As for the sub crawl there are many different version of it this days. Some will put the sub in the MLP and carry their USB mic around to different locations to find the best starting point. Some will put the mic at the MLP and move the sub around taking REW sweep measurements at each location to compare the response curves and then pick the best location based on that. Yes, you should do some version of this if you can.

Front: Polk S55
Center: Polk S30
Rear: Polk S10
Sub: P̶L̶-̶2̶0̶0̶I̶I̶ (̶2̶)̶ ̶F̶V̶X̶1̶2̶ V1812
badtlc is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 5,682
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2825 Post(s)
Liked: 2029
Maybe this is overly precise, but the only current AVRs (audio video receivers) with Audyssey are Denon and Marantz. The other mass-market makers have software for the same purpose, but proprietary. (No licensing fees to Audyysey.)

I haven't done a sub crawl, mainly because the placement options for my subs are rather limited. I have two subs, and experimented with all the placements thare are available. (None were very good.)

The crossovers (probably actually adjustable low pass filters) in my subs are switched out. I let the AVR handle the crossover function.

Your mileage may vary.
bobknavs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainSensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looks like I'm in for quite an adventure. I just moved into a house so I no longer have to limit my subwoofer's bass. I can now play Eminem's Killshot really loud if I want to! (just to test the bass)
CaptainSensible is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainSensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Maybe this is overly precise, but the only current AVRs (audio video receivers) with Audyssey are Denon and Marantz. The other mass-market makers have software for the same purpose, but proprietary. (No licensing fees to Audyysey.)

I haven't done a sub crawl, mainly because the placement options for my subs are rather limited. I have two subs, and experimented with all the placements thare are available. (None were very good.)

The crossovers (probably actually adjustable low pass filters) in my subs are switched out. I let the AVR handle the crossover function.


Your mileage may vary.
I have a Denon. It's neither a top of the line, nor low end, just middle of the pack
Denon AVR-S930H but it handles really well.
CaptainSensible is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8,392
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked: 2530
if you spend the time to setup your system with rew and speaker/sub placement...you might find audyssey doesnt do anything/much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aud on vs off.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	2730308  

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
torii is online now  
post #7 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainSensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok, so I had no idea what the hell REW was until I found this: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/
Is this what you mean?
CaptainSensible is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8,392
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked: 2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSensible View Post
Ok, so I had no idea what the hell REW was until I found this: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/
Is this what you mean?



yes

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
torii is online now  
post #9 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainSensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Alright. Thanks. I'll see which of these is better. Independent nerds vs commercial nerds.
CaptainSensible is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 06:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you set your crossover on your receiver, I was told you should bypass it on your sub. If you cant bypass it, you crank it all the way to the right. I am not a professional by any means, but my subs sound a whole lot better this way.
RonnieBlack2nd is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainSensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah, no. I don't think it is a good idea to crank the subwoofer all the way up in case the settings don't lock. It could damage the subwoofer.
CaptainSensible is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
badtlc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSensible View Post
Yeah, no. I don't think it is a good idea to crank the subwoofer all the way up in case the settings don't lock. It could damage the subwoofer.

They were talking about the crossover setting being maxed out, not the gain/volume. The crossover being set as high as possible is the correct setting for most people/installations.
smcmillan2 likes this.

Front: Polk S55
Center: Polk S30
Rear: Polk S10
Sub: P̶L̶-̶2̶0̶0̶I̶I̶ (̶2̶)̶ ̶F̶V̶X̶1̶2̶ V1812
badtlc is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI, USA
Posts: 2,505
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 942
As badtlc stated, crossover on the sub itself as high as it will go or if there's a bypass option, use that. Without knowing the specific make/model that's all we can give you.

Then let Audyssey do it's thing.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
smcmillan2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off