1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnson636

post #1 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Polk PSW505 Very Quiet

I have a Polk PSW505 that's around 6.5 years old. It seems to have failed. Sound levels are very, very low, even with the volume turned up to max. I'm using speaker outputs. Amp works and powers my bookshelf speakers just fine. I connected a phone to the line level inputs, and same thing: really low audio.

I opened it up and I don't see any obvious problems. I have one with the BASH amp.

Are there common issues with the BASH amp in these units that are fixable? A new amp is about what I paid for the sub, so that's out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
This one is easy...New Subwoofer
rhelliott2 likes this.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) QSC 2180 - (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune - 2 Devastator Minis B&C21ds115 - 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #3 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 513
This was actually the first sub I owned. The amp went out on mine also. It would turn on but not output any power. They are not very reliable. Unfortunately for this one I would say it is likely dead. But good thing there is plenty of offerings on the site to help you get back to banging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always destroying exergy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

I am looking at new subs.

I'm likely going to take the Klipsch rw-12d from the family room and put it in my (much smaller) office. I'm looking at subs that are more suitable for a large space. Lots of good options, but they tend to be much more expensive. We'll see what the budget allows. Hopefully they will last. (I'm looking to maybe spend < $1500.)

I was hoping for somewhat of a fix for the Polk to get by, but such is life. It was working Tuesday I know, and then by Thursday it was mostly dead. I think I moved it to install my new speaker stands for the bookshelf speakers. Who knows what happened. I think I got about 2.5 usable years out of it. Really quite pathetic. This will definitely be my last Polk product.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked: 2306
Brother @Bethzur , there are a lot of subs out there. I went from dual PSW 505 to dual PSA XV15...for $1500 you can get great dual subs! Need to check ID subs companies, as some will offer discounts for duals.
This would be an incredible upgrade and within your budget:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...-psa-xv30.html
post #6 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Brother @Bethzur , there are a lot of subs out there. I went from dual PSW 505 to dual PSA XV15...for $1500 you can get great dual subs! Need to check ID subs companies, as some will offer discounts for duals.
This would be an incredible upgrade and within your budget:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...-psa-xv30.html
Thanks for the reply. I'm exploring the usual brands recommended here. Again, this is to replace the working Klipsch rw-12d. I figure it will be totally fine for my office since the Polk was totally fine.

For the family room, I'm currently leaning toward a SVS PB-3000. It seems expensive compared to the HSU and Rythmik, but I do like the longer warranty, free returns and the DSP functions. My family room is large and open on one side, plus it has a vaulted ceiling. Getting things to sound good is difficult. Plus the web site for Rythmik is an embarrassment and pseudo-sciencey. HSU use BASH amps which my limited experience says aren't very durable. I'm hoping that the SVS amps are better.

It seems like many subs fail after 2-3 years, and I'm not aware of another company offering a 5 year warranty on the amp. I just need to save a bit and hope for a sale.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-23-2020, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethzur View Post
For the family room, I'm currently leaning toward a SVS PB-3000. It seems expensive compared to the HSU and Rythmik, but I do like the longer warranty, free returns and the DSP functions. My family room is large and open on one side, plus it has a vaulted ceiling. Getting things to sound good is difficult. Plus the web site for Rythmik is an embarrassment and pseudo-sciencey. HSU use BASH amps which my limited experience says aren't very durable. I'm hoping that the SVS amps are better.

It seems like many subs fail after 2-3 years, and I'm not aware of another company offering a 5 year warranty on the amp. I just need to save a bit and hope for a sale.
I think you have a great budget to work with for either a great single or dual subs. All the companies you listed have great offerings in that range, along with PSA (look at the new TV models).

As you're finding, it comes down to what's most important to you. What you'll get from Rythmik and Hsu is less fluff and more sheer output for the dollar. SVS subs are great, but you're paying more for add-ons and conveniences; which is fine. SVS is more expensive because of that fancy website, apps, digital interfaces, and the "free" returns (you understand it's built into the sub cost).

Rythmik might not have the fanciest web site (I'll leave the pseudo-sciencey comment alone), but their subs are among the best in the industry and value for the dollar. Skim through the forums, you wont find many complaints of their amps failing after 2-3 years.

Klipsch RP-8000F L/R | Klipsch RP-504C C | elemental Designs A6-6T6 MTM surrounds | Rythmik FV18 Rev2 Paper Cone Black Matte + Elemental Designs A5-350 Restored! | Denon AVR-S920W | Vizio P75-C1
post #8 of 9 Old 05-23-2020, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked: 2306
@Bethzur , I have PSA subs, and pretty sure they have 5 year warranty. have had my XV15se for 7 years now, and still working great. Def see which ID company has a great deal, and possibly free shipping on returns, in case you did not like that particular sub....
post #9 of 9 Old 06-04-2020, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I still have my PSW505 which I bought from Circuit City about 15 years ago and mine is still working great. If you have another speaker on hand you could probably try connecting it to the amp to determine if your amp went bad or if your sub did.

Personally, I would go DIY with the sub. You'll get a lot for your money and it doesn't take much wood working skills to build one. If you are afraid to try it yourself you can buy flat packs where the wood is already cut and it's basically just a matter of glueing some boards together and finishing the sub to your liking (a bit more expensive but still cheaper than a store bought sub). If you haven't purchased one yet I would at least look at the DIY Speakers and Sub forum for more information before writing that option off. If you are not opposed to a very large sub for $1500 you could build a couple devastators, or a couple full martys for that price which would outperform the subs mentioned significantly. There are other cheaper options and smaller subs too.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page