Low-budget “music only” sub for small room - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 06-20-2020, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevansmusic View Post
Well just keep an eye out. You might be able to find something if you keep looking.

Another sub to consider is the RSL Speedwoofer 10S. No metal grill but perhaps you can set it under a desk or end table or something like that. Only retails for $400 shipped and has pretty great performance as well.

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...peedwoofer-10s

None of these cheaper subs will do quite what the RSL and SVS can do in terms of even frequency response and clarity but they might suit your needs. Bonus is if they get banged up, its not a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
You mentioned closet ... what if you got the RSL and put it in the closet? No wires to run cause you get wireless for an extra $50 and you have an outlet there already (I guess maybe you'd need an extension cord to run to the floor). $450 all told and great return policy. Sub seems quite well-regarded for it's price. I don't think he'd hear a huge sound difference in a closet vs. under bed as you were thinking
Update - the Monoprice slim sub SSW-10 arrived damaged. 5 of 8 9/16" long screws holding the woofer in place were ripped out of the MDF cabinet during shipping. One of the wall mounting brackets was also bent. When I went to RMA the sub, there were 5 other shipping labels on the box indicating they are reusing the boxes and the inside packing looked very tired. I realize I can't judge the sub on what I heard since the woofer was only held in by the remaining 3 screws but I opted just to return it.

With that behind me, I'm ready to set my sights on something better. The RSL Speedwoofer keeps coming up in several threads so I'm taking a long look at that. Bonus is the wireless for $50 so I don't have to run a cable to the opposite side of the room.

I've been monitoring CL and the AVS classified for a SVS SB12NSD without any luck. Just before I checked in to AVS today, I took one more look on CL and found a pair of "like new" Rythmik LV12R subs that were listed for $500 for the pair or $300 each but now they have dropped the pair down to $450. For music only, where does the LV12R fall in regards to the RSL Speedwoofer?

I saw another thread where several folks recommended the Rythmik L12 for a similar music only application as mine. At $559, I should add that to my list as well.

Thanks
mevansmusic likes this.

Last edited by marko44; 06-20-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 06-22-2020, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Update #2 - I sent two emails over the weekend to the CL seller of the Rythmik LV12R subs that were listed for $450 and never received a response. I then called RSL today and spoke with Joe about the reliability of the wireless, but after a brief discussion with him, I placed an order for the RSL Speedwoofer 10 with wireless option @$449. I think this will be the perfect solution for my son, and if not, they have the 30-day free trial with free return shipping. I doubt I'll need to return it but it does give me piece of mind. Thank you everyone for your input. Much appreciated!!

Last edited by marko44; 06-22-2020 at 01:33 PM.
post #33 of 39 Old 06-22-2020, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko44 View Post
Update - the Monoprice slim sub SSW-10 arrived damaged. 5 of 8 9/16" long screws holding the woofer in place were ripped out of the MDF cabinet during shipping. One of the wall mounting brackets was also bent. When I went to RMA the sub, there were 5 other shipping labels on the box indicating they are reusing the boxes and the inside packing looked very tired. I realize I can't judge the sub on what I heard since the woofer was only held in by the remaining 3 screws but I opted just to return it.

With that behind me, I'm ready to set my sights on something better. The RSL Speedwoofer keeps coming up in several threads so I'm taking a long look at that. Bonus is the wireless for $50 so I don't have to run a cable to the opposite side of the room.

I've been monitoring CL and the AVS classified for a SVS SB12NSD without any luck. Just before I checked in to AVS today, I took one more look on CL and found a pair of "like new" Rythmik LV12R subs that were listed for $500 for the pair or $300 each but now they have dropped the pair down to $450. For music only, where does the LV12R fall in regards to the RSL Speedwoofer?

I saw another thread where several folks recommended the Rythmik L12 for a similar music only application as mine. At $559, I should add that to my list as well.

Thanks
Either Rythmik sub would be outstanding. A pair of LV12Rs for $450 is a great deal. It would be tough for me to pass on that. The servo driver of the LV12R probably makes it better for music than the RSL Speedwoofer 10s.

TV: TCL 6 Series 75"
Speakers: Hsu Research HB-1 and HC-1
Sub: SVS SB-3000
AVR: Yamaha HTR-4065
Previously Owned Equipment: Elac B5 and C5, SVS PB10-NSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 06-23-2020, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Either Rythmik sub would be outstanding. A pair of LV12Rs for $450 is a great deal. It would be tough for me to pass on that. The servo driver of the LV12R probably makes it better for music than the RSL Speedwoofer 10s.
The CL seller of the Rythmik LV12R subs wouldn't return an email so I ordered the RSL which is expected to arrive this Thursday!!! As luck would have it, I noticed a 2 year old piano black SVS SB2000 for $550 on CL today but it's in the bay area which is a couple hours away. What to do???
post #35 of 39 Old 06-25-2020, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3396
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko44 View Post
The CL seller of the Rythmik LV12R subs wouldn't return an email so I ordered the RSL which is expected to arrive this Thursday!!! As luck would have it, I noticed a 2 year old piano black SVS SB2000 for $550 on CL today but it's in the bay area which is a couple hours away. What to do???
In da house?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #36 of 39 Old 06-25-2020, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have the SW10 from RSL, it will do anything you ask from it outside of being used in a huge room. The wireless has performed flawlessly so far for me. For $449, its a no brainer!!
marko44 likes this.
post #37 of 39 Old 06-25-2020, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
In da house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo666 View Post
I have the SW10 from RSL, it will do anything you ask from it outside of being used in a huge room. The wireless has performed flawlessly so far for me. For $449, its a no brainer!!
The RSL with wireless is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I think I'll (er . .. my son ) will be happy with this. I'll report back after the initial test drive.
post #38 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I think you guys will be very happy with the RSL. You could always go buy the SVS and put them head to head but given your needs, I think your son will love either. Hard to go wrong with RSL or SVS in general.

TV: TCL 6 Series 75"
Speakers: Hsu Research HB-1 and HC-1
Sub: SVS SB-3000
AVR: Yamaha HTR-4065
Previously Owned Equipment: Elac B5 and C5, SVS PB10-NSD
post #39 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think you guys will be very happy with the RSL. You could always go buy the SVS and put them head to head but given your needs, I think your son will love either. Hard to go wrong with RSL or SVS in general.
The RSL arrived on Friday in the late afternoon so on Saturday morning, I unboxed it, placed it, and paired it with the wireless transmitter. The extra $50 for the wireless was well worth it since I didn't have a run a cable to the opposite corner of the room from the Sonos Connect amp located in the closet. The auto-on feature works flawlessly and I couldn't be happier with the sound that comes out of that small cabinet. This is definitely a keeper and I appreciate all the input from everyone on this. For my son's application, this is a home run and he is very happy, which in turn, makes me happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page