AVS Forum banner

I'm planning to upgrade from PB1000 to PB2000pro

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Kini62 
#1 ·
Hello.

I'm thinking a lot about this, I have a small room (3x4meters=12m2) and the PB1000 fill the room (totally sealed) just fine, but... on the really low frequencies (below 20hz) I really think that is lacking, even on my small room.

Also, with the peq app I will be able to control the sub modes without an external dac just the my mic and rew.

Do you guys think it will be a good upgrade? or it will be overkill for my small space? I'm 99% convinced it will be an amazing upgrade, but I need to hear other people say it ;). Btw, I have no room for a second sub, in case someone is going to suggest that.

Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
Alberto Hernández said:
... I have a small room (3x4meters=12m2) and the PB1000 fill the room (totally sealed) just fine, but... on the really low frequencies (below 20hz) I really think that is lacking, even on my small room.
. . .
Do you guys think it will be a good upgrade? or it will be overkill for my small space? ...
IMO:
- It will be a good upgrade as it will provide stronger output down to and below 20Hz.
- It will not be overkill for your space.

#4 ·
I'd vote for a Rythmik FVX12 or a FV15HP (if your budget allows it). When comparing the PB200 Pro to FVX12 it looked very open shut case. I think the PB2000 pro is very close to cost to FVX12 but you may compare the results to pb3000 in terms of SPL and lower frequency extension than (even) Pb3000.
If budget is not a criteria, FV18HP is the way to go. It might break your house, but the sound is awesome.

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I'd vote for a Rythmik FVX12 or a FV15HP (if your budget allows it). When comparing the PB200 Pro to FVX12 it looked very open shut case. I think the PB2000 pro is very close to cost to FVX12 but you may compare the results to pb3000 in terms of SPL and lower frequency extension than (even) Pb3000.
If budget is not a criteria, FV18HP is the way to go. It might break your house, but the sound is awesome.

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk
Based on what? There are no independent tests of the PB2000 Pro or the FVX12.

Besides the OP is not in the U.S.

#7 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the help.

I have the PB2000pro since yesterday:

I want to share these with you all, this is a REW graph (with an umik-1) of the response in my small room (12m2). Single sub.

Green=PB1000

Red=PB2000pro

As you can see below 20hz the improvement is... wow, now I can feel things on some scenes inside my body lol.

This is after some EQ, with my receiver (yamaha 860) and the PB2000pro also with the PEQ. I'm amazed. Also, I was able to get that amazing response below 20hz with the PB200pro after plugging one port.

Sorry for my bad english, if you want to ask something I'm here.

#9 ·
Thank you all for the help.

I have the PB2000pro since yesterday:

I want to share these with you all, this is a REW graph (with an umik-1) of the response in my small room (12m2). Single sub.

Green=PB1000

Red=PB2000pro

As you can see below 20hz the improvement is... wow, now I can feel things on some scenes inside my body lol.

This is after some EQ, with my receiver (yamaha 860) and the PB2000pro also with the PEQ. I'm amazed. Also, I was able to get that amazing response below 20hz with the PB200pro after plugging one port.

Sorry for my bad english, if you want to ask something I'm here.
Glad you are enjoying it. PB-1000 to PB-2000 Pro is a substantial upgrade. However the PB-2000 pro is not designed to run with 1 port plugged and I would not recommend that. It’s either both ports open or sealed.

Reactions: Alberto Hernández
#11 ·
The "why" is irrelevant after the manufacturer says no ;) Because you're putting the speaker in a condition its not designed for is my best guess. Its voiding the warranty most likely, especially since you just told them. Is it worth burning the speaker up and not having a warranty?

#12 ·
The why is important because is the only way to learn.

Reply from SVS:

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the quick reply!

It probably won't physically damage anything, the amp is flashed to run in either open or sealed, if the response is better in your room using the sub with one port sealed and it sounds better to you, that should be fine.

#13 · (Edited)
Ok guys after watching some movies I didn't like the way it sounded, it was a boomy mess, in scenes with music mostly, also, it makes my head hurt....

So, I tried to calibrate from scratch and this time with the sub totally sealed, my god what a change for the better, stronger response without any distortion, I really like the sound it makes this way...

(Red: old config with one port plugged, Blue: new config totally sealed)

Edit: btw, this smells fishy... why with the sub sealed I get more db response below 20hz? doesn't feels right... is not the other way around?

#14 ·
Ok guys after watching some movies I didn't like the way it sounded, it was a boomy mess, in scenes with music mostly, also, it makes my head hurt....

So, I tried to calibrate from scratch and this time with the sub totally sealed, my god what a change for the better, stronger response without any distortion, I really like the sound it makes this way...

(Red: old config with one port plugged, Blue: new config totally sealed)

Edit: btw, this smells fishy... why with the sub sealed I get more db response below 20hz? doesn't feels right... is not the other way around?
Most likely due to 2 things. A shallower (slower) roll off of the low frequencies below the tuning of the sub and increased room gain of low frequencies due to the shallower roll off. AKAIK in ported mode the sub rolls off at 24db per octave and in sealed it's 12db per octave.

I run my PC12+ in sealed most of the time because I think it sounds better in my smallish room and I seem, like you, to actually get better ULF out of it. I don't measure anything so I just go by ears and seat of my pants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.