Subwoofer Advice for New Home Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-25-2020, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Subwoofer Advice for New Home Theater

I’m looking for anyone’s advice to help guide me on a new subwoofer. The room size will be 15x25 setup and 8ft ceilings with Klipsch InWall speakers, capable of a 7.2.4.

I’m struggling in determining how much subwoofer I need on a limited budget ($700) Initially, I was looking at the SPL 120 with possibly 2, which I know will bring me slightly over budget. As I’ve been going through the forums I see a lot of good reviews for the PB 1000 and PB 2000. At last initially if I went with SVS I would likely be only to get 1 sub.

Please provide any recommendations, as I don’t want to underdeliver in subs for the size of room, but at the same time have to respect the budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2020, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Unless you can do it yourself, $700 is not enough budget for good bass in that size room. 3000 cu ft isn't huge, but it's big enough to warrant some proper subs.

Just above $700 gets you the best bass for the buck sub; a HSU VTF-3 Mk5.

I'd still recommend a pair, but if you've got a $700 budget right now, save some pennies and get the best sub you can get in that price range (VTF-3 Mk5), and then start saving for it's twin.

Multiple subs have numerous benefits. More output, much less distortion, more even bass response at multiple seating locations... More truly is better if you set them up properly (and that means external EQ in 99.9% of cases with something like a MiniDSP 2x4HD, REW, and a Umik-1).

MiniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK-1, REW... The holy trinity for running multiple subs.

Espon 5050UB, 120" screen, AppleTV4k, Harmony Elite, Sony UBP-X700, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX504, Outlaw 7000x, MiniDSP 2x4HD, 2x HSU TN1220HO subs, 2x HSU VTF-15H Mk2 subs, Defintive Technology speakers: CLR2002 x3 for FR, C, FL; BP2x SR & SL; BP1.2x SBL & SBR; ProMonitor 800 x4 height speakers.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-25-2020, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 1578
I agree that in that price range, the HSU VTF-3 Mk5 is the best option.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: Rythmik FV18-PC x 2
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, DIYSG Volt-6 Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-26-2020, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

That might be a bit out of my budget. Am I underpowered if I were to go with Pb 2000 or VTF2-MK5 with eventually adding another of the same. One thing that I forgot to mention is that I will have a drop down ceiling around the perimeter of the room (7’6”). That will slightly decrease the cubic feet.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-26-2020, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacitems4sale View Post
That might be a bit out of my budget. Am I underpowered if I were to go with Pb 2000 or VTF2-MK5 with eventually adding another of the same. One thing that I forgot to mention is that I will have a drop down ceiling around the perimeter of the room (7’6”). That will slightly decrease the cubic feet.

Two of those level of subs might work for you. It will all be about personal taste in volume levels. I think the VTF2 might have more lower extension but I'm not sure on that.

If you don't listen very loud and you don't run the subs hot, you will probably be fine with those. I will warn you though that I personally feel the $500-$700 range of subwoofers are what I would call "gateway subs." They are nice, high end subs that give you a taste of something and for many that initial taste leads to a craving for a LOT more. All of a sudden you don't enjoy watching movies or listening to music at the same volumes. Now you want to turn the knob up way past anything you would have considered previously. THIS is the biggest problem with subwoofer buying. You are really not going to know for sure what is enough for you until after you get started. This is why a lot of people suggest stretching the budget as much as possible to get the biggest baddest single sub you can to start with (like 15", 18" or even 21" subs) to help prevent going through several subs until you find the right one.

Front: Polk S55
Center: Polk S30
Rear: Polk S10
Sub: P̶L̶-̶2̶0̶0̶I̶I̶ | (̶2̶)̶ ̶F̶V̶X̶1̶2̶ | V1812
AVR: Denon AVR-X3500H
post #6 of 9 Old 06-26-2020, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
The VTF-2 Mk5 is a fine sub; but it is worth it to get the VTF-3 instead.

A VTF-2 and a VTF-3 will both dig plenty deep. The difference is output at those low frequencies. The VTF-3 is just a crazy intersection of sound quality, sound output, and low price. It's unmatched, really.

MiniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK-1, REW... The holy trinity for running multiple subs.

Espon 5050UB, 120" screen, AppleTV4k, Harmony Elite, Sony UBP-X700, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX504, Outlaw 7000x, MiniDSP 2x4HD, 2x HSU TN1220HO subs, 2x HSU VTF-15H Mk2 subs, Defintive Technology speakers: CLR2002 x3 for FR, C, FL; BP2x SR & SL; BP1.2x SBL & SBR; ProMonitor 800 x4 height speakers.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-26-2020, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

You all are really convincing me to go with the VTF 3 and appreciate your feedback. Any concerns with Denon 3600h pushing the sub in a 7.1.4 set up? I believe the Klipsch in wall are pretty efficient.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-26-2020, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
You all are really convincing me to go with the VTF 3 and appreciate your feedback. Any concerns with Denon 3600h pushing the sub in a 7.1.4 set up? I believe the Klipsch in wall are pretty efficient.
the sub is p0wered you just hook lfe out to sub and u good to go- denon doesnt provide any power
post #9 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
VTF 3
Hsu is a long time master of subwoofers. On a different note (ha ha) I just placed an SVS SB-3000 in a 5.1 Focal Aria system. Oooh such nice sound now, really gives something to the low end. Super classy even the packaging, you can tell a LOT of thought is put into every aspect. And EQ functions for those systems that don't have it. I'd think most of the goodness would be in the less expensive model. I also think speakers last SOOOOOOOOOOOOO long it is worth it to wait and save up (and troll used stuff for sure).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page