Do I need a second Sub? If so can someone recommend? Home Theater/Cinema - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Do I need a second Sub? If so can someone recommend? Home Theater/Cinema

Hello,



I previously asked on the Klipsch thread seeing as how my setup is all Klipsch, but I wanted to get a second opinion on if adding a second sub to my setup would really make a huge difference and provide a better cinematic experience. I use my TV/Sound system for 90% movies and around 10% TV shows (including netflix / amazon / comcast etc..).

Current Setup is as follows:

Center Speaker : Klipsch RC-62 II
Fronts : Klipsch R-625FA
Side Surrounds : Klipsch RP-502S
Rear Surrounds : Klipsch R-51M
Subwoofer : Klipsch R-120SW
AV Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503


The room in question is about 25 Ft x 14 Ft

Budget wise : Around 700, and if it would be extremely worth it (providing a more immersive experience) I'd be willing to go up to 800 or so.

With all of that in mind, If I do end up adding another sub, would it need to be matched to my current sub?


Thank you in advance!
darkshadoku is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 10,537
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked: 3163
If you don't feel that your current one-sub setup is lacking, you don't need a second sub. If you do feel it is lacking, add a second one. Ideally you want two of the same sub, neither of which needs to match your speakers. Given the size of your room, I'd consider getting rid of your current sub, upgrading to something significantly more powerful (like, say, an HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP) and doubling up on that when additional funds become available.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Well, you would probably replace your current sub. At that price point your looking at HSU. Go 15" and don't look back. The HSU will make your Klipsch look like a toy.
VTF-3 MK5 HP



And no, don't use them both together. Not worth it most likely.
darkshadoku, darthray and Sorny like this.

AVR: Yamaha TSR-7850, Fronts: DCM TP260, Center: DCM TP160C, Sub: Premier Acoustic PA-150 (2-FV18/PC on the way!!)
Deaf-Forever is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 07:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
If you don't feel that your current one-sub setup is lacking, you don't need a second sub. If you do feel it is lacking, add a second one. Ideally you want two of the same sub, neither of which needs to match your speakers. Given the size of your room, I'd consider getting rid of your current sub, upgrading to something significantly more powerful (like, say, an HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP) and doubling up on that when additional funds become available.



I was typing before you got in, but you hit "post" first! LOL
eljaycanuck and darkshadoku like this.

AVR: Yamaha TSR-7850, Fronts: DCM TP260, Center: DCM TP160C, Sub: Premier Acoustic PA-150 (2-FV18/PC on the way!!)
Deaf-Forever is online now  
post #5 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thank you all for the quick responses. I just looked up the HSU sub and all the videos/reviews seem to praise it over SVS and other subs in the same price range and below. Seeing as the HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP has a huge power increase over my current sub, does that somehow lessen the strain on the woofers on my fronts? I am not exactly sure how that works so just wondering if it directs most or all of the bass to the sub.

Also, in regards to the "my current sub lacking" well, to be honest I am not sure as I dont have anything to compare it to other than the sub from my previous onkyo home theater which... well the klipsch basically wrecks it in movies/sound tests such as the Dolby Atmos demo (with the lightning) which made my previous onkyo sub sound distorted. And the other note is that I have not tried going past the -9 sound level on my receiver, i try to keep within the -10 to -17 volume level as I am afraid if i go above that and into the positives, it might damage my speakers... Any thoughts about that?
darkshadoku is online now  
post #6 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
jwskud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: southeastern PA
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadoku View Post
Thank you all for the quick responses. I just looked up the HSU sub and all the videos/reviews seem to praise it over SVS and other subs in the same price range and below. Seeing as the HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP has a huge power increase over my current sub, does that somehow lessen the strain on the woofers on my fronts? I am not exactly sure how that works so just wondering if it directs most or all of the bass to the sub.

Also, in regards to the "my current sub lacking" well, to be honest I am not sure as I dont have anything to compare it to other than the sub from my previous onkyo home theater which... well the klipsch basically wrecks it in movies/sound tests such as the Dolby Atmos demo (with the lightning) which made my previous onkyo sub sound distorted. And the other note is that I have not tried going past the -9 sound level on my receiver, i try to keep within the -10 to -17 volume level as I am afraid if i go above that and into the positives, it might damage my speakers... Any thoughts about that?
The subwoofer (Hsu or Klipsch or whatever) is "active," not passive, meaning it has its own amplifier and gets its juice directly from a wall outlet. As such, it doesn't require any power from your AVR, which your fronts do. So assuming a decent crossover (say the standard 80 Hz), you're relieving your fronts of ULF duty and thereby relieving the AVR of the amount of juice it is sending there. So yes, in an indirect way, any subwoofer will lessen the strain on your L/R woofers.

The power issue (RMS wattage) can be deceiving. It is recommended to look at output in dBs. Having the same Klipsch R120SW, I know it's 200 watts (400 peak) and capable of achieving 116 dB, but with an F3 of only 29 Hz. The Hsu uses more power (600/2000 watts), but it does so to enable its F3 of 17 Hz (1 port open), and that's what's important. I don't remember its max SPL in dB, but suffice it to say, it will destroy the Klipsch on all levels. It's a bona fide beast of a sub, and levels beyond the Best Buy level stuff like the Klipsch.

As far as current output, I am with you there! The R120SW is certainly NO SLOUCH when it comes to BOOM. For HT purposes, a single 120 in my 2300 cubic feet (open to another 2600 cubic feet in the kitchen!) shakes pictures and items on shelves, and that's with the gain set at ~1/3 and the AVR trim set at -8 dB! It's not a bad sub, especially on sale! But it can't compete with the low-tuned Hsu. You'll definitely benefit from that upgrade. I recommend starting with a single Hsu and buying a second once you've tried it out. I doubt you'll need the extra output (unless you're a bona fide AVS bass-hound), but the biggest benefit of dual subs is evening out the response between listening positions (assuming you're willing to invest in REW/UMIK-1).

One final note: the 120SW is fine for HT, I suppose, but it is boomy for music, lacking tightness. This also has an effect on HT, of course, but it's not as noticeable.
darkshadoku likes this.

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; Rythmik FAQ
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 and 4 Ultra; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA

Last edited by jwskud; 06-26-2020 at 08:53 PM.
jwskud is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
rhelliott2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NorCal
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadoku View Post

The room in question is about 25 Ft x 14 Ft



Budget wise : Around 700, and if it would be extremely worth it (providing a more immersive experience) I'd be willing to go up to 800 or so.

That's a huge room. My living room is half your size and I currently have a Power Sound Audio TV1812 and will be adding a 2nd one later to get rid of some nasty nulls I have ( I have a horrible room)

With your budget I would strongly suggest a HSU VTF15H-MK2 and add 2nd one later when your budget permits.

Or if you can, wait and save more $$ and stretch your budget for a Rythmik FV15HP and add 2nd one later.


You can always turn down a big sub, you can't turn up a small one.
rhelliott2 is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 09:02 PM
Senior Member
 
jwskud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: southeastern PA
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelliott2 View Post
That's a huge room. My living room is half your size and I currently have a Power Sound Audio TV1812 and will be adding a 2nd one later to get rid of some nasty nulls I have ( I have a horrible room)

With your budget I would strongly suggest a HSU VTF15H-MK2 and add 2nd one later when your budget permits.

Or if you can, wait and save more $$ and stretch your budget for a Rythmik FV15HP and add 2nd one later.


You can always turn down a big sub, you can't turn up a small one.
Did I mention AVS bass-hounds in my previous post? haha Here is one I know fairly well!

AVS guidance: if your current single sub is enough to destroy your room, upgrade to something twice as powerful and get at least two of them. haha Just messing with you, @rhelliot2;!

I'm surprised no one has recommended the JTR 4000ULF or triple Rythmik FV25HPs yet!
rhelliott2 and darkshadoku like this.

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; Rythmik FAQ
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 and 4 Ultra; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
jwskud is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
The subwoofer (Hsu or Klipsch or whatever) is "active," not passive, meaning it has its own amplifier and gets its juice directly from a wall outlet. As such, it doesn't require any power from your AVR, which your fronts do. So assuming a decent crossover (say the standard 80 Hz), you're relieving your fronts of ULF duty and thereby relieving the AVR of the amount of juice it is sending there. So yes, in an indirect way, any subwoofer will lessen the strain on your L/R woofers.

The power issue (RMS wattage) can be deceiving. It is recommended to look at output in dBs. Having the same Klipsch R120SW, I know it's 200 watts (400 peak) and capable of achieving 116 dB, but with an F3 of only 29 Hz. The Hsu uses more power (600/2000 watts), but it does so to enable its F3 of 17 Hz (1 port open), and that's what's important. I don't remember its max SPL in dB, but suffice it to say, it will destroy the Klipsch on all levels. It's a bona fide beast of a sub, and levels beyond the Best Buy level stuff like the Klipsch.

As far as current output, I am with you there! The R120SW is certainly NO SLOUCH when it comes to BOOM. For HT purposes, a single 120 in my 2300 cubic feet (open to another 2600 cubic feet in the kitchen!) shakes pictures and items on shelves, and that's with the gain set at ~1/3 and the AVR trim set at -8 dB! It's not a bad sub, especially on sale! But it can't compete with the low-tuned Hsu. You'll definitely benefit from that upgrade. I recommend starting with a single Hsu and buying a second once you've tried it out. I doubt you'll need the extra output (unless you're a bona fide AVS bass-hound), but the biggest benefit of dual subs is evening out the response between listening positions (assuming you're willing to invest in REW/UMIK-1).

One final note: the 120SW is fine for HT, I suppose, but it is boomy for music, lacking tightness. This also has an effect on HT, of course, but it's not as noticeable.


Ah okay that explains it a bit better than what i understood. And I believe i have my setup at 80 hz (its what was recommended online). Speaking of power from the outlet, do you know how much more power it draws from the outlet as opposed to the 120SW?

Also thank you for clearing that up in comparison to the 120SW, hearing it will destroy it reminds me of the comparison i did with the onkyo, which made it look like one of those cheap computer speakers.. lol. I do get what you mean about it shaking the stuff in the house, it does the same for me but it dissipates once i go downstairs. The only reason I upgraded to this one when I did was i was tight on money and the sub was on sale for half the price, so I couldn't pass it up.
darkshadoku is online now  
post #10 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
rhelliott2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NorCal
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post



i'm surprised no one has recommended the jtr 4000ulf or triple rythmik fv25hps yet!
rofl
jwskud likes this.
rhelliott2 is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for the input @rhelliott2 , now theres another sub to debate against the MK3 lol. Is the MK2 better than the 3 that was recommended? And are the Rythmik / HSU only available online? I am in the Bay Area but I have not heard of these brands so I am not sure if they are available in stores here to purchase / demo.
darkshadoku is online now  
post #12 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
rhelliott2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NorCal
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadoku View Post
Thanks for the input @rhelliott2 , now theres another sub to debate against the MK3 lol. Is the MK2 better than the 3 that was recommended? And are the Rythmik / HSU only available online? I am in the Bay Area but I have not heard of these brands so I am not sure if they are available in stores here to purchase / demo.
Yeah the VTF15H-MK2 can dig deeper than the smaller HSU. The Rythmik FV15HP is on a whole other level...it will blow the HSU away IMO.

I'm pretty close to you, I'm up in East Sacramento near Sac State University, once this whole Covid thing dies down you're more than welcome to check demo my Sub and get a taste of Low tuned Sub.


You can also check for any other member closer to you here.

The "I'll demo my subwoofer for other enthusiasts" thread. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1354149-i-ll-demo-my-subwoofer-other-enthusiasts-thread.html
rhelliott2 is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 09:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Internet direct only except HSU if you're close enough to drive. Make sure they are open to. If you want to spend more go ahead. Its a little better. Its basically 2 Hz and some output. Once again, barely audible. Is 2 Hz worth the added cost to you?
darkshadoku likes this.

AVR: Yamaha TSR-7850, Fronts: DCM TP260, Center: DCM TP160C, Sub: Premier Acoustic PA-150 (2-FV18/PC on the way!!)
Deaf-Forever is online now  
post #14 of 31 Old 06-27-2020, 06:49 AM
Senior Member
 
jwskud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: southeastern PA
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadoku View Post
And are the Rythmik / HSU only available online? I am in the Bay Area but I have not heard of these brands so I am not sure if they are available in stores here to purchase / demo.
ID, or Internet Direct, is the only way to go if you want to maximize your investment (unless you go DIY, Do-It-Yourself, i.e. build your own cabinet and order the driver and amp, etc.). But that does mean you'll likely not get to hear it unless you order it. This is good and bad. Bad b/c if you order it and get it in your home and don't like it, most ID companies will accept returns within 30 days or so at no charge, but you do have to pay return-shipping costs. But it's also good, b/c the only way to know how any sub/speaker will perform in your space, with your equipment, and your content, is to actually audition it in your home.

If you go with either Hsu, or a smaller (or bigger) Rythmik, I'm convinced (based on the 1000s of posts I've read here on AVS, as I've never heard either in person!) that it will provide deeper extension with more output and cleaner bass than the Klipsch. So it all comes down to what you want to spend and how much output you seek.
darkshadoku likes this.

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; Rythmik FAQ
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 and 4 Ultra; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
jwskud is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 06-27-2020, 06:57 AM
Senior Member
 
jwskud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: southeastern PA
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadoku View Post
Ah okay that explains it a bit better than what i understood. And I believe i have my setup at 80 hz (its what was recommended online). Speaking of power from the outlet, do you know how much more power it draws from the outlet as opposed to the 120SW?

The only reason I upgraded to this one when I did was i was tight on money and the sub was on sale for half the price, so I couldn't pass it up.
I, too, grabbed the 120SW when it went on super-sale at Crutchfield (I had a gift card). And it was a major step up from my 8" Kenwood HTiB subwoofer. Still glad I made that purchase - it has provided a lot of bang (and boom) for the buck. But these days I'm looking for similar output, just tighter, with lower extension.

What you should look for in any sub purchase is a good F3 value. The 120SW has an F3 of only 29 Hz, which means it's 3 dB down from peak output at 29 Hz. This means by the time you hit 20 Hz, it's probably down at F9 (or very likely much, much worse, as ported subs "drop off" very rapidly), meaning very little/no useful output. With room gain, you might hear a bit at 20 Hz, but it won't be great, as any other frequencies would dominate.

As far as power draw, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The difference between 600 and 200 watts sounds like a lot, but it's nothing your standard wall outlet can't supply. I've been told high-amperage hair dryers draw a lot more juice than a big sub. And the 2000 watt peaks will be few and far between, so again, it shouldn't be a problem. Most refrigerators these days have starting wattages in excess of 1500 watts, so it's similar to that.
darkshadoku likes this.

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; Rythmik FAQ
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 and 4 Ultra; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA

Last edited by jwskud; 06-27-2020 at 07:10 AM.
jwskud is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 06-27-2020, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for the input @rhelliot2, I am in San Jose and looked at the thread you listed and the only one i see in the same city is someone with a HSU VTF-15H MK1, but as you said corona and all, it is probably not the best time to ask for a friendly demo.

@jwskud thats good to know that it won't have more of a draw than my current sub on the outlet.



Also, i have been looking at both subs VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer and the Rhytmik FV15HP and it looks like the MK2 comes to about 1110$$ (taxes+shipping) and the Rhymik comes out to around 1435 (does not say tax for some reason?)..

Now its getting a little expensive lol with someone in that range I would definitely want to see a demo to experience the difference in person to see if it would be worth it to spend that much on either Sub, which i'm sure it is but I'd still like to see in person, ya know? I mean I can definitely spend the money if it makes sense to do the upgrade, as it will probably last me in the long run and I wouldn't have to upgrade for a long while, which is also what I am looking at.
darkshadoku is online now  
post #17 of 31 Old 06-27-2020, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
jwskud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: southeastern PA
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadoku View Post
Now its getting a little expensive lol with someone in that range I would definitely want to see a demo to experience the difference in person to see if it would be worth it to spend that much on either Sub, which i'm sure it is but I'd still like to see in person, ya know? I mean I can definitely spend the money if it makes sense to do the upgrade, as it will probably last me in the long run and I wouldn't have to upgrade for a long while, which is also what I am looking at.
Most of the wise folks here on AVS will say (based on their own experience) that you should buy the absolute best subwoofer you possibly can (even if it means saving your $$ for a while)...and then immediately start saving for a second. This is wise b/c most people get a taste for deep extension and big output and want more and more. Of course, I firmly believe this can be (and is) overdone, to the point where you've got way more output than you could ever use. But again, I don't qualify as an AVS bass-hound.


For example, I'm watching the show Dark on Netflix, and every time there's one of those big bass-drops I'm squirming in my seat a bit b/c my 6-year-old daughter is asleep upstairs. So I trim the sub from -8 dB all the way to -12 dB. Do I need more bass? I say no. So for folks like me, who listen at 70-75 dB tops, I'd argue I don't need anything even as powerful as the Hsu or Rythmik F15HP. Do I occasionally let the bass blast during the day, especially with action flicks or music? Yes! But not enough to warrant massive output.


This is why my current plans have changed. Instead of pursuing a massive Rythmik FV18PC for my family room, I'm waiting on Chane's new Snell-based subs to release. These are supposed to be super-tight, clean subs with an F3 well below the Klipsch (I'm expecting the most powerful offering to have an F3 of 23 Hz or less). I'm planning to get two of them, going duals for the first time, to even out response in-room. I don't have specs yet for the final builds, but I've been told a single 10" will be a lot cleaner and tighter (and have more extension at similar output) than the Klipsch, so two will be more than I need in my current space.


If I move on to building a basement system (which I plan to do after this final dual sub purchase), then I will definitely pursue the FV18PC (duals), b/c it's a huge space, more isolated, and I'll want to blast movies down there.
darkshadoku likes this.

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; Rythmik FAQ
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 and 4 Ultra; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
jwskud is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 06-27-2020, 09:46 PM
Member
 
redstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
Most of the wise folks here on AVS will say (based on their own experience) that you should buy the absolute best subwoofer you possibly can (even if it means saving your $$ for a while)...and then immediately start saving for a second. This is wise b/c most people get a taste for deep extension and big output and want more and more. Of course, I firmly believe this can be (and is) overdone, to the point where you've got way more output than you could ever use. But again, I don't qualify as an AVS bass-hound.


For example, I'm watching the show Dark on Netflix, and every time there's one of those big bass-drops I'm squirming in my seat a bit b/c my 6-year-old daughter is asleep upstairs. So I trim the sub from -8 dB all the way to -12 dB. Do I need more bass? I say no. So for folks like me, who listen at 70-75 dB tops, I'd argue I don't need anything even as powerful as the Hsu or Rythmik F15HP. Do I occasionally let the bass blast during the day, especially with action flicks or music? Yes! But not enough to warrant massive output.
This exactly. Unless you have a sound proofed room or you live alone, good luck. I have dual HSU VTF-2 MK5s (ones with just the 12" woofers) and even they can vibrate my entire house (I can't even imagine what having a JTR captivator 4000 would do). Even with the smallest HSUs right now, playing movies in my basement at loud, but below reference volumes can be heard in my daughters rooms, which are on the 2nd story and on the other side of my ~5000 sq ft house. I basically have to have them off when watching anything if my wife is in bed, which is also on the 2nd story but directly above my theater. Man it would be awesome to have a concrete house.
darkshadoku and jwskud like this.

Yamaha TSR-7790
Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5
Panasonic AE8000U
Polk SDA SRS 3.1TL, Polk center & surrounds, HSU VTF-2 MK5 subs
...and a bunch of other stuff
redstang is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 06-27-2020, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
Most of the wise folks here on AVS will say (based on their own experience) that you should buy the absolute best subwoofer you possibly can (even if it means saving your $$ for a while)...and then immediately start saving for a second. This is wise b/c most people get a taste for deep extension and big output and want more and more. Of course, I firmly believe this can be (and is) overdone, to the point where you've got way more output than you could ever use. But again, I don't qualify as an AVS bass-hound.


For example, I'm watching the show Dark on Netflix, and every time there's one of those big bass-drops I'm squirming in my seat a bit b/c my 6-year-old daughter is asleep upstairs. So I trim the sub from -8 dB all the way to -12 dB. Do I need more bass? I say no. So for folks like me, who listen at 70-75 dB tops, I'd argue I don't need anything even as powerful as the Hsu or Rythmik F15HP. Do I occasionally let the bass blast during the day, especially with action flicks or music? Yes! But not enough to warrant massive output.


This is why my current plans have changed. Instead of pursuing a massive Rythmik FV18PC for my family room, I'm waiting on Chane's new Snell-based subs to release. These are supposed to be super-tight, clean subs with an F3 well below the Klipsch (I'm expecting the most powerful offering to have an F3 of 23 Hz or less). I'm planning to get two of them, going duals for the first time, to even out response in-room. I don't have specs yet for the final builds, but I've been told a single 10" will be a lot cleaner and tighter (and have more extension at similar output) than the Klipsch, so two will be more than I need in my current space.


If I move on to building a basement system (which I plan to do after this final dual sub purchase), then I will definitely pursue the FV18PC (duals), b/c it's a huge space, more isolated, and I'll want to blast movies down there.


I know exactly what you mean about Dark on Netflix... when i watched it i noticed it had extreme bass lol, i thought it was just my other speakers not output enough vocal's but now I see its just how the show is, mostly bass lol. As far as adjusting the bass / settings on the sub.. when i first got it i set it to the recommended settings I found online and just left it there, only thing i pretty much adjust while viewing is just the total volume of the system lol.

And well now you both have me thinking, my room has not been sound proofed, and I live in this house with my brother, whos room is down the hall but the living room and kitchen are downstairs and i can definitely hear the bass down there with my klipsch, so now im worried about that as i have not thought about it haha.... I mean its not absolutely a problem unless it does shake the whole house violently haha ,and when i do my viewing its mostly in the morning or during the day for movies, and at night (if that) is just netflix or Cable viewing.

Edit: the bass can currently barely be felt to my brothers room, not an issue and we won't have problems haha
darkshadoku is online now  
post #20 of 31 Old 06-28-2020, 08:37 AM
Senior Member
 
jwskud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: southeastern PA
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadoku View Post
Edit: the bass can currently barely be felt to my brothers room, not an issue and we won't have problems haha
Well, just wait till you bring in a Hsu or Rythmik or PSA sub, or anything with big output down low! The lower the frequency, the farther it travels (or so I've heard). I know a guy over on the Rythmik owners thread who ran 2 of their larger subs and the ULF could be heard across the street!

Well, the good thing is, with powerful subs that dig deep, you've got it if you want it (i.e. for daytime viewing). And at night you can just trim the bass/sub levels. Or get a pair of wireless headphones and cry listening to them, as you see your mighty (and expensive) subs sitting unused. ha
darkshadoku likes this.

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; Rythmik FAQ
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 and 4 Ultra; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
jwskud is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 06-30-2020, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
Well, just wait till you bring in a Hsu or Rythmik or PSA sub, or anything with big output down low! The lower the frequency, the farther it travels (or so I've heard). I know a guy over on the Rythmik owners thread who ran 2 of their larger subs and the ULF could be heard across the street!

Well, the good thing is, with powerful subs that dig deep, you've got it if you want it (i.e. for daytime viewing). And at night you can just trim the bass/sub levels. Or get a pair of wireless headphones and cry listening to them, as you see your mighty (and expensive) subs sitting unused. ha

Haha I believe you on that.


Also quick question(s):

Would the Rhythmik just connect to my Receiver using RCA? I ask because I saw a picture of the back panel and it shows 4 knobs (2 red 2 black) which look like they are for speaker wire (hi input) as well as an RCA and XLR options.. I am not savvy and My current one uses RCA so I am just curious if It would just work fine with my receiver or if something else is required..

Also, any idea what the max output is for the sub? It says 600 RMS watts but I am unable to find a total output (like the HSU says 600/2000). Would this be an issue or would it be plenty more watts/stable power?

Also, do these ever go on sale like on holidays or something? Just wondering if i should order now or wait for say - 4th of July / some other day to see if sales happen or price drops, probably not but worth a shot asking.

Final question : Would it help to get some rubber isolation feet? I saw some online that look like circles, for SVS subs but it says they should fit / work with the Rhythmik and I am wondering if it would help at all
darkshadoku is online now  
post #22 of 31 Old 06-30-2020, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 10,537
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked: 3163
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadoku
... Would the Rhythmik just connect to my Receiver using RCA? I ask because I saw a picture of the back panel and it shows ... RCA ...
Yup.
darkshadoku likes this.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 06-30-2020, 09:54 AM
Member
 
stinkyonion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You will just use the RCA output from your receiver. The feet are only necessary if tou place sub on hardwood or tile floor and listen loud enough for cabinet movement. Mine is on carpet so i dont use the rubber feet. Everyone has sales, even if just scratch and dent, but they certainly are rare with rhythmk and hsu, i havent seen anything last 6 months. Those brands are considered the most for the money.

I think better subs (dual pb3000s) had more of a effect on my home theater than when i upgraded my projector from 1k to 4k. Its hard to go wrong here. Its kind of like saying your smart car goes 70mph so why get a better car? Well, your movies will have a whole new vibe and will leave you with big grin.
stinkyonion is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 06-30-2020, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyonion View Post
You will just use the RCA output from your receiver. The feet are only necessary if tou place sub on hardwood or tile floor and listen loud enough for cabinet movement. Mine is on carpet so i dont use the rubber feet. Everyone has sales, even if just scratch and dent, but they certainly are rare with rhythmk and hsu, i havent seen anything last 6 months. Those brands are considered the most for the money.

I think better subs (dual pb3000s) had more of a effect on my home theater than when i upgraded my projector from 1k to 4k. Its hard to go wrong here. Its kind of like saying your smart car goes 70mph so why get a better car? Well, your movies will have a whole new vibe and will leave you with big grin.

Ah okay that at least makes me feel a little more at ease haha, was wondering if i was going to need anything additional. And yes, my room floor is hardwood so would the rubber feet help in my case? And as for sales well at least it makes me feel at ease that it wont have a big price cut once i purchase haha.

I was actually looking at the SVS subs but i was recommended the HSU and the Rhythmik over both, would you say that is a great choice for me? And I believe you about the effect of subs/HT, when I did the upgrade from Onkyo HT Atmos to my current Klipsch Atmos the jump was Significant and I was completely blown away. Even more so when i added the Klipsch over the onkyo sub to finish it. So I am definitely hoping its a similar experience and i know the new sub is a HUGE upgrade over my current so i am looking forward to that!


Also on a side note, what projector do you have?
darkshadoku is online now  
post #25 of 31 Old 06-30-2020, 10:50 AM
Senior Member
 
jwskud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: southeastern PA
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadoku View Post
Would the Rhythmik just connect to my Receiver using RCA?

Also, any idea what the max output is for the sub? It says 600 RMS watts but I am unable to find a total output (like the HSU says 600/2000). Would this be an issue or would it be plenty more watts/stable power?

Also, do these ever go on sale like on holidays or something? Just wondering if i should order now or wait for say - 4th of July / some other day to see if sales happen or price drops, probably not but worth a shot asking.

Final question : Would it help to get some rubber isolation feet? I saw some online that look like circles, for SVS subs but it says they should fit / work with the Rhythmik and I am wondering if it would help at all
As stated above, standard RCA cables to the LFE In are (usually) the way to go. Some of the better ID subs offer many options for hooking up via different methods, just for added flexibility. And some have advantages over RCA (e.g. on Rythmiks, the Line In option only extends to 90 Hz or so, which can help with ringing or something like that).

Regarding output, you're talking input. In other words, the RMS and peak wattages are the power the sub requires in order to reach max output. These numbers are important, to be sure, but what is more important is actual output (in dB) across the ULF spectrum. For an idea of what I'm talking about, go HERE and look at the various dB outputs for the different subs at different Hz. You're ideally looking for big dB at low Hz if you want the ultimate HT sub (although other factors play in as well, such as distortion).

Sales? Rare with ID, but not unprecedented. Also, tariffs are increasing, so prices are increasing. I wouldn't wait for an ID sale, ever. But you could pick out what you want and contact the company and ask if there are any upcoming sales OR price increases.

Isolation feet? They can't hurt if you're on hard floors, as stated above. They do very little (so I've heard) to reduce transmission of ULF through floors/structures, however, so don't expect much in that regard (or even from a SubDude platform).

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; Rythmik FAQ
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 and 4 Ultra; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
jwskud is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 06-30-2020, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
jwskud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: southeastern PA
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadoku View Post
I was actually looking at the SVS subs but i was recommended the HSU and the Rhythmik over both, would you say that is a great choice for me?
All three brands are solid, solid options. But I'd say you get the most from your money from Hsu or Rythmik, easily. I'd put the Hsu as the greatest bargain, but you get better SQ from a Rythmik, so pick your poison. SVS is great, just overpriced (IMO).

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; Rythmik FAQ
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 and 4 Ultra; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
jwskud is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 06-30-2020, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
As stated above, standard RCA cables to the LFE In are (usually) the way to go. Some of the better ID subs offer many options for hooking up via different methods, just for added flexibility. And some have advantages over RCA (e.g. on Rythmiks, the Line In option only extends to 90 Hz or so, which can help with ringing or something like that).

Regarding output, you're talking input. In other words, the RMS and peak wattages are the power the sub requires in order to reach max output. These numbers are important, to be sure, but what is more important is actual output (in dB) across the ULF spectrum. For an idea of what I'm talking about, go HERE and look at the various dB outputs for the different subs at different Hz. You're ideally looking for big dB at low Hz if you want the ultimate HT sub (although other factors play in as well, such as distortion).

Sales? Rare with ID, but not unprecedented. Also, tariffs are increasing, so prices are increasing. I wouldn't wait for an ID sale, ever. But you could pick out what you want and contact the company and ask if there are any upcoming sales OR price increases.

Isolation feet? They can't hurt if you're on hard floors, as stated above. They do very little (so I've heard) to reduce transmission of ULF through floors/structures, however, so don't expect much in that regard (or even from a SubDude platform).
Thanks once again for the explanation! Really appreciate it.


And you're right, i totally forgot about tariffs and what not.. no wonder the sub seems about 100-150 more expensive that other posts i saw from a few months / year ago.. basically thinking about pulling the trigger and ordering my Rhythmik poison once i get home from work haha. Looks like the sub is on backorder till mid July but thats fine.

As far as for the feet, well i think i might just get them even if they help just a little bit, theyre inexpensive so it wouldn't hurt i guess.


And you + the others have convinced me to just go for the best I could get and forget about it, Its usually what i do when i build my computers so might as well do the same for my HT lol
jwskud likes this.
darkshadoku is online now  
post #28 of 31 Old 06-30-2020, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
jwskud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: southeastern PA
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadoku View Post
basically thinking about pulling the trigger and ordering my Rhythmik poison once i get home from work haha. Looks like the sub is on backorder till mid July but thats fine.

And you + the others have convinced me to just go for the best I could get and forget about it, Its usually what i do when i build my computers so might as well do the same for my HT lol
You've already surpassed me! Those Rythmiks (and Hsu) are incredible subs, but out of reach for me price-wise for now. So you're going to have (very soon) what I hope to have some day... Once you get your new sub in, come back and tell us how it stacks up against the Klipsch!

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; Rythmik FAQ
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 and 4 Ultra; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
jwskud is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 06-30-2020, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quick question, I don't need to purchase any additional things from the Rhythmik page, correct? What i mean is the H600PEQ3 is listed on there and a silver cone (not the color options, but the ones below). Would not getting either of these impact my performance?
darkshadoku is online now  
post #30 of 31 Old 07-01-2020, 07:45 AM
Senior Member
 
jwskud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: southeastern PA
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadoku View Post
Quick question, I don't need to purchase any additional things from the Rhythmik page, correct? What i mean is the H600PEQ3 is listed on there and a silver cone (not the color options, but the ones below). Would not getting either of these impact my performance?
Yeah, you don't need those. The silver cone is simply aesthetic, for looks only (looks cool, but not sure it's worth $40). The standard amp is all you need, as well.

If you have ANY questions, reach out to @enricoclaudio either by IM here on AVS, or better yet, via the contact page/phone at the Rythmik site. He's a great resource and will advise you regarding your purchase and answer any questions you have. If he thinks you need a bigger sub(s), he'll tell you that, too...although you may not want to know!

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; Rythmik FAQ
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 and 4 Ultra; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
jwskud is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off