PSB Subseries 450 Wireless Connection - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-27-2020, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question PSB Subseries 450 Wireless Connection

Been having a problem getting my new PSB 450 to talk to the rest of my system via a wireless connection and wondered if anyone here has experience or advice in this area. My system is this:

Auralic Aries G1 streamer
Mytek Manhattan II preamp/DAC
Parasound JC5 amp
PSB T3 Imagine Speakers

I also have a second system that has an IOTA integrated amp and Blue Sound Node 2, connected to a pair of Snell E5 Mk.2 speakers. I use this mainly for audio for my TV but it plays a role here.

The Subseries 450 is across but in the same room as the Mytek system. It's about 15 to 18 feet away. It is not possible to run a direct connection to the Subseries because of placement in the room. So I bought the SVS Soundpath wireless audio connectors after reading favorable reviews. Out of the box, the SVS has no problem with the transmitter and receiver pairing - solid blue light on each within a few seconds. I first tried connecting the transmitter to the RCA analog out ports on the back of the Mytek and the Low Level (not LFE) inputs on the Subseries. (I use the balanced outs to connect the Mytek to the Parasound amp onto the T3 speakers.)

There was absolutely no sound from the Subseries when I stream (Roon). The T3s play fine as always - subwoofer, nothing. All I get is a blinking red indicator light that changed from solid red when nothing was playing, to blinking red. Interestingly, there is zero guidance in the PSB troubleshooting guide as to what a blinking red light means but it is obvious there is some problem with the signal. Here is a list of other things I have tried, none of which worked:

1) Called SVS (great customer support BTW) - sent a replacement unit. Any tech I talked with there was puzzled by this as they never encountered a situation where the units were paired (solid blue lights) and yet no sound. I hooked up the replacement SVS yesterday, exact same behavior, blinking red light.

2) Tried the LFE port on the back of the subwoofer. I moved the SVS to the IOTA, which has a dedicated subwoofer out. I then put the receiver in the Subseries LFE in port. - Same behavior, blinking red light.

3) Thought maybe something was wrong with the Subwoofer. So I jerryrigged the connectors to my iphone, connected it to the Low level inputs on the Subseries and fired up Itunes - voila - the Subseries kicked in with an audible click, the red light turned to green, and there was plenty of bass coming out of the Subseries. So it does not seem to be the problem.

I could not think of anything else to try except maybe a different wireless transmitter. PSB tech support is not the greatest and they might point back at the SVS. So I thought I would ask around here, hoping someone has had this issue or has successfully hooked up a PSB Subseries via a wireless connection.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-28-2020, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Sounds like the PSB isn’t getting a hot enough signal to activate it. I say this because the iPhone most likely has a hotter output than the other devices, especially it’s the headphone jack.

Whether the low output is from your pre-amp or the SVS, I’d suspect the former. An easy way to check whould be to disconnect the Parasound amplifier from the system, and playing program material, crank up the volume on the pre-amp. If the sub kicks in at some point, then you’ve found the problem.

If that’s the case, you’ll need a signal booster in the sub signal chain. The Aphex Model 124-A is a good one.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #3 of 4 Old 06-28-2020, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
Sounds like the PSB isn’t getting a hot enough signal to activate it. I say this because the iPhone most likely has a hotter output than the other devices, especially it’s the headphone jack.

Whether the low output is from your pre-amp or the SVS, I’d suspect the former. An easy way to check whould be to disconnect the Parasound amplifier from the system, and playing program material, crank up the volume on the pre-amp. If the sub kicks in at some point, then you’ve found the problem.

If that’s the case, you’ll need a signal booster in the sub signal chain. The Aphex Model 124-A is a good one.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks Wayne,

I will share this with the dealer who sold me the PSB Subseries. He is going to reach out to PSB to get their opinion.

I had thought that the signal was likely too weak and made the observation that when I directly hooked up the iPhone (part of the jerryrig required I use a Dragonfly DAC to make the connectors work - that amplifies the signal as well) to the PSB, it did seem like a bigger "jolt" when the PSB clicked over from red to green. Current behavior is that it goes from solid red to blinking red, and it does seem like this means it is getting a signal, just not a strong enough one.

The only reason this theory gives me pause is that in one of my experiments, I did hook the SVS up to an IOTA integrated amp using the dedicated subwoofer out. I did that specifically to see if the Mytek was the issue and that I was trying to use both the balanced and the unbalanced ports. But the PSB behavior with the IOTA was exactly the same - blink to red..

Still, I will pass your thoughts along to the dealer as we work through this and keep your suggestion in mind. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Best,
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-28-2020, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 446
As I mentioned, it's easy to do a test to see if signal level is the issue.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
mytek manhattan ii , psb subseries 450 , svs soundpath

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page