• 1 Post By Deaf-Forever
  • 1 Post By SuperFist

post #1 of 19 Old 06-28-2020, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sub rattling entire house

I just started building my first ever HT system and have really enjoyed it so far. I bought an HSU VTF-3 MK5 and it's a BEAST. It has a very big room (27X28.5) to fill and It sounds pretty good. I am still trying to figure out the best settings for my large room.

My wife has been complaining that the bass shakes the entire upstairs. I went to investigate and sure enough everything was shaking. Appliances, china cabinet, ect. What can I do to reduce the bass in the upstairs of the house outside turning it down? Sub is currently sitting on a carpeted concrete basement floor, so I am not sure if an isolation mat would help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-28-2020, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You can try moving it around to see if it transmits less at another location in the room. Otherwise, without major reconstruction, negotiating loud bass time or turning it down are the only solutions.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-28-2020, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 658 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4314 Post(s)
Liked: 4142
The lowest frequencies are typically what make things vibrate around, but they are also the most fun. You could turn on nightmode, or Audyssey LFC, but it neuters the deep bass.

If you are on the basement slab a subwoofer isolation mat will do nothing -- because the concrete slab is not transmitting any vibration to the rest of the house. The isolation mats are really made to help dampen acoustic energy transferred to a wooden/suspended floor.

Just show her this, and tell her it could be worse.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 06-29-2020, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the awesome video. That is insane. Filling an entire room with 151db? Wow. I use to be in car audio and getting that small cabin to 150db was always an achievement.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-29-2020, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 129
"I bought a Porsche and it goes too fast!" Lmao
SuperFist likes this.

AVR: Yamaha TSR-7850, Fronts: DCM TP260, Center: DCM TP160C, Sub: Premier Acoustic PA-150
post #6 of 19 Old 06-29-2020, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked: 7529
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickflair View Post
My wife has been complaining that the bass shakes the entire upstairs. I went to investigate and sure enough everything was shaking. Appliances, china cabinet, etc.
Congratulations... you have achieved Bass Success!! There is no problem.

But seriously, though... maybe you were expecting less from that subwoofer but it's actually doing its job.
Sorny likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-29-2020, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Sounds like a good start!

Front: Polk S55
Center: Polk S30
Rear: Polk S10
Sub: P̶L̶-̶2̶0̶0̶I̶I̶ | (̶2̶)̶ ̶F̶V̶X̶1̶2̶ | V1812
AVR: Denon AVR-X3500H
post #8 of 19 Old 06-29-2020, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 194
And if only everyone had the same "Problem"..
post #9 of 19 Old 06-29-2020, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Oh it's not a problem to me. I was in car audio for years and rattle was a good thing lol. Just wasn't sure if there was anything to help keep the sound in the basement. Didn't assume so, but wanted to see what people suggested if anything.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-29-2020, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 86
You can try several things without spending much money. First off try some different placement. Putting the sub in corner will boost bass response over some frequencies but that can result in what you are describing. Try putting the sub nearfield to the main listening position. Maybe even putting it directly behind the couch or something like that. Test and see if there is any difference.

As far as isolation goes, you can test that without any fancy pads. Just fold up a few beach towels and out the sub on them. This will essentially isolate the sub from the floor. Test and see if there is any difference.

You have a VFT, so use the VTF part of it. Try plugging all the ports. This will cause the bass to roll off more on the low end which might help with the rattle.

Finally find what is rattling the most and figure out what you can dampen. For us, wall mounted things tend to rattle more than others. Using some felt furniture pads on the picture frame backs can help with this. If your cabinet doors do not have rubber stoppers on them, install some. Consider putting down some shelf liner where the dishes are rattling (again, a towel will work fine to test).

TV: TCL 6 Series 75"
Speakers: Hsu Research HB-1 and HC-1
Sub: SVS SB-3000
AVR: Yamaha HTR-4065
Previously Owned Equipment: Elac B5 and C5, SVS PB10-NSD
post #11 of 19 Old 06-30-2020, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 10948
A good set of headphones is the only solution.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-30-2020, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh it's not a problem to me. I was in car audio for years and rattle was a good thing lol. Just wasn't sure if there was anything to help keep the sound in the basement. Didn't assume so, but wanted to see what people suggested if anything.

Maybe try getting the door to the basement sealed air-tight.

post #13 of 19 Old 06-30-2020, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I recently upgraded from a Bic F12 to the Hsu VTF3-MK5 and had the same rattling/vibrating problem.

I purchased a few packs of Blu Tack and played some heavy low bass songs while my wife and I walked around the house "tacking" anything down that made noise.

It made a huge improvement!
post #14 of 19 Old 06-30-2020, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 10948
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
Maybe try getting the door to the basement sealed air-tight.
The problem is that Low frequency wavelengths are very long(often longer then the room) and that makes them hard to contain... which is why when you place multiple subs in a room they almost always mutually couple below 40hz. Higher frequencies can be somewhat contained, lower frequencies below 40hz or so is almost impossible. Prime example, turn on some bassy music at high levels and walk around the house. You will notice that most of the upper frequency chest thump bass stays in the room, but as you move around the house you will notice those frequencies diminish and all you will hear or feel is the deep stuff.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-30-2020, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I have 4 subs in the HT room, and now since everyone is working from home, it's too much low end. A few things I tried which seemed to help:

1). Moved the subs out of the corners (also changed from down firing to front firing).

2). Changed the settings in my SR Marantz to light compression and manage bass option. There is also a night setting.

3). Pulled out my old ButtKicker kit, and put that in the mix. I can still have bass w/o a bunch of complaints.

4). Recalibrated audio using Radio Shack analog meter @ 75db (Old School).

Now I don't get the chest pounding bass I use to, but it's a good sacrifice in order to maintain peace. One day when everyone is out of the house, I step it up for a few hours, but until then.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR
post #16 of 19 Old 06-30-2020, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 6770 Post(s)
Liked: 4879
Quote:
I just started building my first ever HT system and have really enjoyed it so far. I bought an HSU VTF-3 MK5 and it's a BEAST. It has a very big room (27X28.5) to fill and It sounds pretty good. I am still trying to figure out the best settings for my large room.

My wife has been complaining that the bass shakes the entire upstairs. I went to investigate and sure enough everything was shaking. Appliances, china cabinet, ect. What can I do to reduce the bass in the upstairs of the house outside turning it down? Sub is currently sitting on a carpeted concrete basement floor, so I am not sure if an isolation mat would help?
Short of a major sound proofing, there's nothing you can do to fix the bass shaking the rest of the house short of turning the bass down.

To that end, you can substitute a lot of your bass with shaker systems. A properly integrated shaker system will still shake you giving you the feeling of loud bass even when you turn the bass down. And since these shaker systems don't actually play any bass, there's no vibration in the house.

There are many solutions. The one I'm currently using is having an infinite baffle sub mounted open air in my main chair. This provides both sound and feeling. I can hear the subwoofer while sitting in the chair. I cannot hear it *at all* once I stand up.

Another option is to mount something like an earthquake MQB-1 to your chair. This won't provide any sound but will provide vibration. It will allow you to turn your sub down some while not feeling like you lost out - in fact you may even feel like you've gained.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H3SV1E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChairSpeakers-3.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	2751156  

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #17 of 19 Old 06-30-2020, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
The problem is that Low frequency wavelengths are very long(often longer then the room) and that makes them hard to contain... which is why when you place multiple subs in a room they almost always mutually couple below 40hz. Higher frequencies can be somewhat contained, lower frequencies below 40hz or so is almost impossible. Prime example, turn on some bassy music at high levels and walk around the house. You will notice that most of the upper frequency chest thump bass stays in the room, but as you move around the house you will notice those frequencies diminish and all you will hear or feel is the deep stuff.

in my testing, getting the basement door sealed air tight drastically reduced the vibrations of items on upper floors not directly connected to the ceiling structure of the basement.

post #18 of 19 Old 06-30-2020, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 3067
You could build a wooden riser to put under you MLP make it large enough to place your sub nearfield (behind couch). Download a tone generator app on your phone and pick a reasonable volume so you dont blow your sub. Go upstairs and manually start at 100/80Hz going down a Hz at at time until u hear your first rattle. You can hold that frequency and try and find the rattle source and hopefully fix. Repeat for the rest of the bandwidth down to port tune. This should help and be cost effective.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-01-2020, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The lowest frequencies are typically what make things vibrate around, but they are also the most fun. You could turn on nightmode, or Audyssey LFC, but it neuters the deep bass.

If you are on the basement slab a subwoofer isolation mat will do nothing -- because the concrete slab is not transmitting any vibration to the rest of the house. The isolation mats are really made to help dampen acoustic energy transferred to a wooden/suspended floor.

Just show her this, and tell her it could be worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vatf5UNqZkk
Everytime I feel I've reached the point I've built enough subs, a video like this surfaces

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) QSC 2180 - (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune - 2 Devastator Minis B&C21ds115 - 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page