Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 01-07-2004, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
SRR
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am so confused which to get, box vs cylinder, Hsu VS SVS, passive + Partsexpress Amp VS powered. Can ya'all chime in with what you would do with $800-950?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-07-2004, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
SRR
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh ya fergot...I have a 12'x19'x7'10" room, and I have an Atlantic Tech system 350 set of speakers with one of the system 350 subs.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Powered is easier to work with since you usually get a crossover and frequency filters and auto-on features that you would have to buy separate for a non-powered sub. If you want great accuracy and the most SPL for your dollar, and SVS PB2-ISD would fit the budget. Or if you really like the cylinder, get a 20-39PC+. If you want something really pretty get the new Hsu VTF3-MKII, not sure if it's shipping yet though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-07-2004, 12:35 PM

pb2-isd
pretty hard to beat at that price
post #5 of 22 Old 01-07-2004, 02:07 PM

Wow...think of the DIY sub that could be had for $900...................

Jim
post #6 of 22 Old 01-07-2004, 02:17 PM
MRL
AVS Forum Special Member

My hat is off to you DIY guys. Used to be one myself but in the position now that the money isn't as important as the time to spend with the family and also work. I can make up the difference in price in less than a couple hours work so why not let someone that does it for a living do it for me.
I am sure I could do a good job given several weeks of everthing pulled out from the dust in the garage but there are many of us out here that prefer not to DIY anymore. BTW my SVS PC2+ is awsome.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-07-2004, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
SRR
AVS Forum Special Member

I think I am down to three sub choices, a PC+ 20-39, a TN-1220 with Bass Optimizer with a parts express 500Watt sub amp, and the VTF-3 MKII.

I like the idea of a cylinder sub but a box sub would be fine too. The parts express amp has the bonus of having a one band parametric EQ. But then I have two 80 pound dogs so the HSU cylinder sub might not be the best option since it is top heavy. Then there is always the possiblity of getting a SVS unpowered cylinder and matching that with the partsexpress amp.

I doubt I would be unhappy with any of them just which one am I going to pull the trigger on? Or more to the point which one should I pull the trigger on?

Oh and DYI is not out of the question just not sure I am up to the challenge.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-07-2004, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
DYI - is that "Do Yourself In"? :D (Just kidding. Been reading here WAY too much.)

Dawn
Thanks guys!
post #9 of 22 Old 01-07-2004, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
SRR
AVS Forum Special Member

LOL
post #10 of 22 Old 01-07-2004, 04:14 PM

If you read all the threads on these forums, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who has much negative to say about any of the Hsu or SVS subs. I think you will probably be happy with either.

The obvious sub missing from your list is the SVS PB2-ISD which I would put in the same category as the VTF-3 MK2 (good box sub in the under $1000 category).

I've been trying to decide on a sub in this price category for several months now and have been oscillating between the various SVS and Hsu subs.

Another sub you might want to consider (if you can wait) is the UFW-12 from av123. Right now, on paper at least, this is probably the closest to what I am looking for in a sub (since I missed my Christmas deadline, I'm willing to wait a little longer).
post #11 of 22 Old 01-08-2004, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
SRR
AVS Forum Special Member

Yah I left out the SVS PB2-ISD because it was a $1000 shipped, I was really hoping to keep this under $800 or so do to the WAF. But she is now on board with the $1000 idea, which puts the SVS PB2-ISD back on the table, I am still confused on what to get but the SVS PB2-ISD is looking better and better.
post #12 of 22 Old 01-08-2004, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
SRR
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh and to think I told my wife at the begging stages of ugrade-titus that I wanted a new sub and was thinking I could get something in the $600 range...now we are at $1000 ;-) . I love my wife she is so supporting!
post #13 of 22 Old 01-08-2004, 08:43 PM

My non-expert opinions on the subs are (based on a lot of reading and filtering of some of the hype):

o The SVS subs will give you a few more SPLs (but not a lot)
o The Hsu subs will be a little more "musical" (but not a lot)
o The SVS subs are a little more physically intrusive (might be important if WAF is a factor)

If you want maximum impact (house-shaking) for HT, then SVS is probably what you're looking for. If you still want major impact for HT but also want a little more musical sub, then Hsu might be a good compromise.

The UFW-12 (12") has some features (e.g., an equalizer) that the SVS and Hsu subs (at least the ones mentioned) lack. Based on its specs, it seems like it ought to match up pretty well with the SVS subs in terms of SPL and may even be more musical than the Hsu subs. This, plus the equalization, has it currently at the top of my list.

The UFW-10 (10") has gotten a lot of positive feedback although it is not really competitive with the aforementioned subs (in terms of SPL and extension).
post #14 of 22 Old 01-08-2004, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
SRR
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks of the sub doesn't matter, becuase the only level that the WAF wieghs in on is the budget, she doesn't care on looks. And since this is going into a dedicated theater with a black cieling and 18% grey walls the only thing that matters is that the sub is black if at all possible.

Thanks to eveyone who wheighed in; my finale deceision will come next week as that is when I will have my spending money all together.
post #15 of 22 Old 01-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

"musical" the most overated term in sub comparison. It either sounds clean or doesn't............
post #16 of 22 Old 01-08-2004, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally posted by tuskenraider
"musical" the most overated term in sub comparison. It either sounds clean or doesn't............
In this sense, it sounds cleanER. One can definitely sound cleaner or tighter than the other.

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!
post #17 of 22 Old 01-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Agreed, if that's the case......say cleaner.....if I say a sub is better for HT do I use the term "dirtier"?
post #18 of 22 Old 01-09-2004, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by tuskenraider
What are you talking about? Its like all the audio rags should not use any of the terms they use, and should only use the term cleaner for bass, midrange and treble. Why describe them as "silky highs" or "transparent midrange" when you could say clean treble/clean midrange, or even better, 5-20khz or 800-3k +/-2dB with <3% THD.

Musical is just another term to describe how the sub sound in certain audio range. What does cleaner mean? Musical means it has more pitch definition to it, instruments sound more like instruments. What is the alternative? clean low bass, clean mid bass and clean mid-upper bass?

Remember, this is "AV" forum, there is still a quest for the audio aspect. If you want to talk about roof collapsing bass on the galaxy exploding scene, there are "HT" forums where people only care about those things.
post #19 of 22 Old 01-09-2004, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Why describe them as "silky highs" or "transparent midrange" when you could say clean treble/clean midrange
So you have something to mastuerbate to?
Quote:
Remember, this is "AV" forum, there is still a quest for the audio aspect. If you want to talk about roof collapsing bass on the galaxy exploding scene, there are "HT" forums where people only care about those things.
You were almost worth a long rebuttal, but your head is to high in the clouds to hear me............
post #20 of 22 Old 01-09-2004, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
One key word that is missing here is "Subjective"!!!!!! We all will not agree on what we hear from every sub, and speaker. If someone feels that a sub is musical, faster, cleaner, and tighter etc. Another person will hear it totally different or they just might hate it all together. We all have our flavors we love and flavors we don't. I notice on a lot of boards that if someone is passionate about their view, they want everyone to have the same point view for the sake of being right. There might not be a right or wrong point of view giving a review of a product, and experiences. Just different views. We can only disagree by being agreeable. :)

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
post #21 of 22 Old 01-09-2004, 05:42 AM
MRL
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the guy got enough information which he was looking for then why does the nagging have to come after it every thread about these subs. You guys are going to get this closed.
post #22 of 22 Old 01-09-2004, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page