HSU VTF-2 vs. Phase Tech Power 12? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-2004, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently in the market for a subwoofer, and I'm on a pretty tight budget. I have an all-Phase Technology system (7T mains, PC3 center, 3T rears), so to "complete" the system I was looking to purchase a Phase Power 10 or Power 12 subwoofer. I then read a bunch of glowing reviews for the HSU Research VTF-2 and I am very intrigued, even though it costs a bit more than I want to spend (I was looking to purchase a used Power 10 or 12). How does the Power 12 (or 10) compare to the VTF-2? Can anyone recommend any other decent subs, new or used, preferably servo-controlled, for around the price of a used Power 12? Would it be in my best interest to just save up a bit more and go for the VTF-2? Any information will help--I have not researched subs in a very long time. Thanks.

-Kyril Cvetkov
Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-09-2004, 03:09 PM

Liked: 11
I have not heard a HSU, but I own a Phase Tech Power 12. I am very happy with mine and for the price I paid, I don't think I could have done any better.

If you are interested in a used Power 12, onecall.com has refurbs available last time I checked their site.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-09-2004, 03:53 PM

I have not used or heard the Phase Tech sub so can not speak highly or badly about it. But I have owned a VTF-2 since late 1997 and absolutely swear by it as one of the best buys I ever made. In fact my whole system in which I use the VTF-2 has changed several times in that period (except for the cabling).

Even though I am always changing things in my system I have just never been able to find anything that sounds and performs better for even close to the VTF-2's value. In that period I ended up buying a VTF-3 for my big room which obviously performs better than my VTF-2, but I have to say ...... as far as value for money .... the buck stops right at the feet of my little VTF-2. It's amazing what that sub can do for both music and movies. Simply the best subwoofer available for under $500 IMO.

Ddavidson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-09-2004, 06:06 PM

I can't comment on the power 10 or 12 subs. I also had a tight budget at under $500 and preferably less so I finally jumped on the HSU bandwagon and picked up the STF-2 which is $75 less than the VTF-2 right now after shipping costs and is nearly identical from what I have read. It also has a larger amp at 200 watts:)

It's not the size of your subwoofer.....ok, yeah it is:)
post #5 of 5 Old 01-10-2004, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can also back the VTF-2. Had mine a few weeks and its getting better every day (break in period). Its even better now i have a nice big recliner and the sub directly behind me :).

(Images of homer simpson on his massage chair come to mind) haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page