AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/)
-   -   Bah! overblown mixes, sub adjustment... (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/349140-bah-overblown-mixes-sub-adjustment.html)

fatbottom 01-09-2004 06:29 AM

I'm trying to get my SVS integrating into my hi-fi system. SVS xover enabled at 50hz (Ruark Etudes), using pre-out low level.

SVS integrated easily into my AV system (MC-1 crossed at 80hz) SVS xover bypassed, Kef Reference 2.2 & Kef 200 centre, all set to 80hz.

Play well recorded CD and it sound great, not boomy- can't tell the sub is on- I then play a overblown CD like Madonna's Erotica (first two tracks) and BOOM BOOM, bass is way too loud (can tell the sub is on, and outputting loads)

If I keep it like this it means switching the sub off for every badly mixed CD- which is a pain, I would like the systems to be fairly simple to operate (despite lots of power switches) ;-)

Shall I not bother with the sub in the hifi system?

[edit] I should mention the Hi-Fi system comprises of a Audiolab 8000S (the MC-1 is purely for AV)

fatbottom 01-09-2004 07:23 AM

Just tried high level- correct levels is REALLY low; around 1/9. Is this "bad" in a sense of the sub's amp stage?

Tried the first three tracks on "Erotica" with the AV setup, that's overblown too. Getting the levels of bass for them two tracks requires -6dB adjustment of Music Logic (separate to test tone channel adjustment) calibrated 85 to all, 82dB to sub.

rudib 01-09-2004 07:53 AM

Yeah, high level inputs are VERY sensitive.

I guess that Paradigm's X-20 should do the level adjustment trick.

Spoonfed 01-10-2004 03:42 AM

I don't know i'd be chasing your setup. I have found since integrating my VTF-2 with my Quad 12L's (previously i never used a sub due to having a crap one) that CD's are all over the place in terms of low frequency output.

BruceD 01-10-2004 07:40 AM

I have found it necessary to limit the low frequency response of my mains to get the correct sub blend. I do this with an external active XO (Marchand) that has 24dB/octave slopes, Linkwitz-Riley configuration, and use a XO frequency that is close to an octave above my main speakers f3 (low frequency -3dB point). My mains f3=32Hz my XO=60Hz.

This helps eliminate some of the boomy bass reinforcement (both mains and subs playing the same frequencies) and I use a digital Parametric EQ (BFD 1100P) on the sub to reduce the remaining boomy modal room peaks (every HT room has them) caused by the room's dimensions.

So I end up with a very low and very smooth bass blend with the mains (floorstanders by the way) for both 2-channel and HT.

bpape 01-10-2004 09:03 PM

One option is to try a small DSP unit acting as a parametric EQ inline after the xover. Most of them allow more than one 'profile' to be stored. That would be easy enough to put on a button in a remote.