Bottoming out a sub...h - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-2004, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Due to poor bass management / sub-gain settings I believe I caused my HSU STF3 to "bottom out". I did a search and the noise people described is a "clack" or liek the sound of slapping a tabletop.

My question is this. If this happens once or twice as I was trying to get things setup....did I cause any permanent damage?

MAN, its a nasty sound to be sure.

After turning down the receiver's DD LFE setting to -10db level and turning the sub gain up to about 10o'clock, the bass is thunderous and clean. Before i had the DD LFE setting at "0db" and the sub at about 9o'clock and I had the nasty "thwwwack" sound at a bass intense scene.

BTW: No issues with the STF3 and the darla scene as a few others reported with the STF2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-09-2004, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How does changing the settings on you sub make a difference? Did you test your change with an SPL meter? Are you getting the same output?

If you turn down the output on the receiver, but up the gain dial on the sub, isn't the net result the same?

What volume were you listening to when you bottomed out? What movie/scene was it?

Thanks,

Karl
post #3 of 4 Old 01-09-2004, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Get a calibration disc and RS SPL meter. If not for you, do it for your sub. ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-09-2004, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by univibe88
How does changing the settings on you sub make a difference? Did you test your change with an SPL meter? Are you getting the same output?

If you turn down the output on the receiver, but up the gain dial on the sub, isn't the net result the same?

What volume were you listening to when you bottomed out? What movie/scene was it?

Thanks,

Karl
I'm going to be getting an SPL meter -- don't have one now. I don't feel like I was listening to the scenes at an overly-loud volume, but, it was during both of the opening starship scenes on the star wars pre-quels.

i was just surprised that with the volume & gain set so low i was able to even find this point. I know components aren't "invincible" but, all the messages and hype were how low these could go cleanly and loudly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page