SVS PB1+ or HSU VTF-3R??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-11-2004, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can spend a little over a grand for a sub, and I've narrowed the field down to these subs, and I'd like a little help choosing. I listen to about 50/50 movies-music, but I'm much more critical of my music than movies. Now the hard part-I'm in the military, so I'm moving every couple of years, so I can't exactly go for the system that sounds best for my room now, I need something that's flexible in terms of placement, as I move every couple of years, so I want something that will generally sound good in any type of room, from 250-450 sq feet. The rest of my system: Integra Research RDC-7 pre/pro, Bryston 7BST monoblocks on the speakers, I'm currently auditioning/debating what speakers I'm going to upgrade this summer, so I'll leave those off of the list. So, the sub also needs to blend well with a variety of speakers. I listen to a lot of rock, but also quite a bit of jazz and a little classical. Musical quality is #1 priority, but I like my music loud from time to time, so overall output is also important. Obviously, visuals are important, the wife has already blessed off on these two models, so no tube models.

Any recommendations which one I should go with? Sorry, I know I haven't given an easy scenario to pick a sub for...After reading some other posts on this forum about these brands, would this choice fall into the "win-win" category, whichever I chose?

- Jehr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-11-2004, 08:46 AM

Liked: 10
well, if your budget is $1,000 then your seriously undercutting yourself with the pb1, go for a pb2 plus or dual CS cylinders. considering that you'll be moving maybe the cylinders would be highly advantages as they are much lighter than average. and of course, way nice souding :)
post #3 of 12 Old 01-11-2004, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I have the older version of the VTF-3. I have not heard the SVS models mentioned, but I have compared my VTF-3 to a 20-39PC+.

The VTF-3 is great and very detailed for music, while still hitting hard and low for HT work.

If you haven't seen it, here is the latest review of the VTF-3R:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-1-2004.html

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-11-2004, 12:08 PM
MRL
AVS Forum Special Member

I recently replaced my dual NHT subs with a SVS PB2+ sub and could not be more happy.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-11-2004, 12:13 PM

Last I saw the VTF-3R was $849 with avs coupon discount, free shipping. When MKII VTF-3 is released, there will be new VTF-3 Rosewood MKII version with the amp upgrade. Figure $899, and maybe free ship on preorder.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd say win-win. Noone's heard a PB1+ so sound comparison's are non-existant. There of course have been postitive reviews of the Hsu and I'm sure there will be positive reveiws for the PB1+ too. In a sense it'll be a gut decision for you. I'm gonna follow the line here and state some general opinions I've seen here, though I don't completely agree with them. Hsu for musical accuracy? :) and SVS for SPL. How much each advantage has or is worth to you can't be quantified. Only a couple people I've seen who post here have heard both together to compare fairly and give the nod to Hsu. Seems no SVS owner has heard both around here, but they are all very satisfied with performance none the less.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-11-2004, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
PB1-+ is the same subwoofer as the PC+ cylindrical series, except for the enclosure. And there are numerous reviews for PC+ subs. :)
post #8 of 12 Old 01-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had a box and cylinder and they do sound different, a PC+ is not a PB1+.........
post #9 of 12 Old 01-11-2004, 01:31 PM

A well-built cylinder generally can play louder and cleaner than box sub as frequency lowers, all else equal. If you compare a single driver cylinder to dual driver box, then the situation is more incomparable. Granted, not everyone will prefer cylinder.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-11-2004, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Enclosure's _shape_ has nothing to do with the overall sound of a subwoofer. However, its rigidity and total internal volume of it is something else.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-11-2004, 01:46 PM

Enclosure shape and design characteristic can affect how much coloration of sound there is. A box requires extra wall thickness and internal bracing to become more structurally strong, something that is not required on a cylinder. Also, it is much easier and more practical to use very long port lengths in a cylinder than a box subwoofer, which is what helps generally give the well-built cylinder an advantage as frequency becomes very low.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-12-2004, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by tuskenraider
I'd say win-win. Noone's heard a PB1+ so sound comparison's are non-existant. There of course have been postitive reviews of the Hsu and I'm sure there will be positive reveiws for the PB1+ too. In a sense it'll be a gut decision for you. I'm gonna follow the line here and state some general opinions I've seen here, though I don't completely agree with them. Hsu for musical accuracy? :) and SVS for SPL. How much each advantage has or is worth to you can't be quantified. Only a couple people I've seen who post here have heard both together to compare fairly and give the nod to Hsu. Seems no SVS owner has heard both around here, but they are all very satisfied with performance none the less.
Thanks for the info. I saw so much praise on here for SVS and HSU, I went to their websites and picked the models that appealed to me most. I didn't even realize they were that new that no one had heard the pb1+. I don't see anyone objecting to the "Hsu for musical accuracy? :) and SVS for SPL" part, so it must be on the mark. Thanks again.

- Jehr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page