$ What is a Contrabass going for? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-11-2004, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have emailed ServoDrive and have not gotten a response yet, I am about to build a subwoofer but before I started I wanted to inquire about a Contrabass as I almost feel obligated as a bass enthusiast to try one out.
I know they are pricey but I am not sure how much they are. I'd be interested in a black carpeted one or even a raw one if they offer them.

I do know that quite awhile ago one could buy a kit and build his own Contra Bass and it would run about $1000 for the materials. After looking over the plans for one I don't feel I am qualifed to build one properly so a DIY one is out of the question anyways.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-11-2004, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via AIM to bpape
Retail is around $3500.

You have a PM.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2004, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 1549
I believe it is closer to $5500.

Mark Seaton will have o chinme in on this one.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-2004, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$5500? :eek: Maybe you are thinking of a Basstech 7?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2004, 09:26 AM

I think I am right.....I'll check

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-11-2004, 09:33 AM

Found an old post from Mark Seaton. As of 8/22/03 the retail price was $5000.

Here is an excerpt from thhe post:

The ContraBass retails for $5,000, the B-DEAP 32 for $3450.

I have not yet been able to do a direct comparison, but did have each in the very first HT where I installed the one with the grill I posted in the monster thread on Jeff's system. It was hardly an A/B, and I was still figuring out what the B-DEAP could do, but once properly set up, the B-DEAP has the headroom and capability to modulate the air in the room like nothing I have ever experienced short of a concert size setup of BassTech7s, except the B-DEAP has an even smoother response. The ContraBass still should offer more output below 25Hz, where it is useful to ~14Hz. With the B-DEAP, and as evidence in Jeff's room, there is a better coupling to an enclosed space where the sealed box nature of the low end offers great possibilities in extension. It should be noted that in an open space the available output at 10Hz would likely be much less than what was observed in Jeff's system. The sheer impact and lack of strain from the B-DEAP due to the rediculous headroom above 30Hz and very constant group delay are an interesting contrast to the ContraBass. The ContraBass will provide very significant 16-100Hz output in just about any space, where larger spaces should be using a pair. It does not "need" an enclosed space to produce significant output below 25Hz. In a solidly designed and constructed room like Jeff's, the pair of B-DEAPs *can* be made to sound more impressive than a ContraBass with proper EQ(not difficult, but not a trivial task). In tougher spaces I would expect the ContraBass to provide more low frequency pant-flapping and hair shaking. So far as very low frequency, it would be best to compare a pair of B-DEAPs at $6900 vs. a single ContraBass at $5000, but the B-DEAPs will have 20dB of headroom above 25-30Hz. They are also much larger. A single B-DEAP is again hugely impressive, with a different set of benefits.

A ContraBass is designed to maximize efficiency and performance in a given package while providing its lowest distortion at its limits, where the B-DEAP is intended to never see its limits above 30Hz. As you can likely decipher, I like what both offer, although when it is possible to work in the room, the B-DEAP does some special things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page