Best Performance Subwoofer Driver Positioning? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2004, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone ever figured out based on the subwoofer type what is the best positioning? What I mean is the driver/woofer.

1)Should the driver face the back wall or towards the audience or should the back ports face the back wall.

2) How close to the back wall ini inches should the subwoofer be?

3) When they say corner positioning, do they mean at a 45 degree angle on both walls like a triangle?

4) Any preferred material to put under the subwoofer? I am currently using the spikes, but wondering if anything would be better....

I ran a test myself on the Definitive Tech PF15TL+ and I believe that the woofer should face the back wall and the back ports should face the audience. I was just curious what everyone else is doing.... Mine is right now just a couple inches from the back wall. I am wondering if it should be more back or not....

I know for a downfiring sub that is circle shaped or box shaped, it doesn't matter. This only applies to non-down firing box subwoofers.

Thanks in advance. Just trying to figure all this stuff out thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2004, 01:33 PM

If I recall correctly, one of the ways (it worked for me) to do this is to place your subwoofer in the listening position and go around the room to find the place with the most even response. Place the woofer there.

As for directionality, just listen to it for yourself and decide which sounds the most even.

I hope this helps.

(By the way, what I mean by "even" is that it sounds like it's at the same volume regardless of what note/tone is being played)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2004, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

There has got to be some physics/logic involved in all this. I was just wondering before I go through hours of trying to figure it out and getting nowhere.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2004, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Try the corner of the room. That is where I get the best response and I got the idea from M&K sub manual. I tried it on Creative S750 computer speaker sub.

http://www.mksound.com/pdf/user_manu...5000_mx350.pdf

A simple rule to remember is that you get more bass when you move the subwoofer towards any wall or corner. Moving it away from a wall or corner gives you less bass. Remember that the floor also loads the subwoofer, and that maximum bass is found with the woofer on the floor in a corner.
We recommend starting with the woofer in a corner (or very close to one), and proceeding from there. Extensive MLSSA measurements have shown corner locations to be most likely to give the best overall bass response. A corner location will give you maximum bass output and sonic excitement,
as well as a standard to compare with if you move the subwoofer around.
In some rooms, corner locations excite resonance modes, producing a "muddy" or "boomy" sound. In these rooms, a location along a wall, away from the corner, may give the best results. Find a spot where no single bass note overpowers the others and the overall sound is powerful and clean. You want to achieve a smooth sound quality, with the entire bass spectrum equally prominent. Usually, this will be along one wall, close to or directly in a corner, not in the center of the room.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-2004, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for replying and the article. I did read it. They never mentioned what they mean by corner positioning. Do they mean as a Triangle or as a Square? What direction is the driver facing and what opposite direction the venting ports facing? How close to the wall is too close? Is there a minimum?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-12-2004, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Usually the room corners are 90 degrees and probably does not matter.
Driver direction may depend on the sub. I think the driver should face the wall. On the creative sub the driver is facing the wall.
M&K back firing sub has the driver facing the back wall.

Leave a minimum of 1" from the wall.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-12-2004, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Xavier for responding... My driver is currently facing the wall and is about 2" from the wall so it sounds I am starting with something right... Thanks for your help.

What are you supporting the subwoofer with? Are you just using the spikes or are you using the studio material found at pro audio stores? Is there any improvement with the stuff found at pro audio stores?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page