JL Audio Fathom 13" Sub - Page 241 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101Likes

post #7201 of 7225 Old 08-28-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Thanks for your input. I’m running 802d3 which I believe are 8” woofers so the f112 will probably blend better musically but I also know that the larger driver of the f113 sounds great already.

Just not convinced yet if moving to f112 v2 are worth it over the f113 v1, especially since I will be coming from the larger subs. Another option I am thinking about is getting dual F112 v2 and running them as stereo subs, and keeping one F113 as dedicated LFE. This option would be the best overall. Hmmm decisions decisions....
From everything I've read, mixing different types of subs can be done but hard to calibrate into a system. I know (because I keep reading) that having two subs don't make the bass louder, it just helps distribute the bass so it's more even in a larger listening area. Still I don't know if that's really true or not (as far as the louder part) since I have also read that having two subs working together don't have to work as hard (in other words they can be more efficient together) to provide more headroom if necessary. I know I'm contradicting myself by saying that, but maybe someone else could ring in who knows more about using two or more subs at the same time.

I agree, since you have a smaller main speaker sub, I think the f112v2 will blend better with your current main speakers. The f112v2 has just slightly less wattage than the f113v1, but if you're using the f113v1 in addition to the stereo f112v2 that will certainly help with those LFE signals coming from movies.

At this point I think I've reached my technical know how of what to suggest. Like I suggested to the other poster, I would call JL Audio (954-443-1111) and ask them for some advise on what they suggest would work well for your system. I'd like to know the answer myself of what they think about using the f113v1 in addition with two f112v2 subs.

I'm almost certain they will probably suggest hooking up your "stereo" subs as mono. From everything I've read and have heard, it's easier to set up and most everything bass related is all mixed to mono anyway. The direction of where bass is coming from such as a kick drum gets it que from higher frequencies such as from your main speakers.

The f113v1 has 2,500 Watts, f113v2 has 3000 Watts and the f112v2 has 1.8 kW which I think means 1800 Watts. Since you have the v1 of the f113 sub, the wattage difference between what you already have and the f112v2 is probably not all that significant anyway. I think the biggest difference is your f113v1 is capable of delivering slightly lower bass response with slightly more headroom and the f112v2 is capable of being slightly more musical...but you'd probably have to have them side by side to be able to really hear the difference.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 7225 Old 08-29-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Thanks for your input. I’m running 802d3 which I believe are 8” woofers so the f112 will probably blend better musically but I also know that the larger driver of the f113 sounds great already.

Just not convinced yet if moving to f112 v2 are worth it over the f113 v1, especially since I will be coming from the larger subs. Another option I am thinking about is getting dual F112 v2 and running them as stereo subs, and keeping one F113 as dedicated LFE. This option would be the best overall. Hmmm decisions decisions....
I haven't been in this thread for years, glad to see it's still alive and well. Hello to a fellow Toronto burbs AVSer

There's no truth to a smaller woofer being more "musical". Otherwise we'd all use 1 inch subs.

The v2 of the subs have better room correction and that's probably the main difference. I don't use the room correction in the subs anyway (I have Dirac in my Datasat prepro) so I wouldn't consider replacing my 4 F113s with v2.

I assume you get smoother bass with the pair of F113s in your room than with 1. My suggestion would be to run the pair of subs in mono, crossed over where you want to cross over your 802d3 (nice speakers!). I tried using the subs as stereo subs and to be honest, the measured response is better with the dual subs running as mono vs stereo subs. Doesn't hurt to try it both ways. Room eq wizard and a calibrated mic are your friends.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #7203 of 7225 Old 08-30-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
I haven't been in this thread for years, glad to see it's still alive and well. Hello to a fellow Toronto burbs AVSer

There's no truth to a smaller woofer being more "musical". Otherwise we'd all use 1 inch subs.

The v2 of the subs have better room correction and that's probably the main difference. I don't use the room correction in the subs anyway (I have Dirac in my Datasat prepro) so I wouldn't consider replacing my 4 F113s with v2.

I assume you get smoother bass with the pair of F113s in your room than with 1. My suggestion would be to run the pair of subs in mono, crossed over where you want to cross over your 802d3 (nice speakers!). I tried using the subs as stereo subs and to be honest, the measured response is better with the dual subs running as mono vs stereo subs. Doesn't hurt to try it both ways. Room eq wizard and a calibrated mic are your friends.
Yeah, I'm surprised this thread and FAthom following is still going strong. I haven't been on here for awhile as well and got curious on the newer 'v2's.

Hmmm, that's a great point about foregoing the Sub's Room EQ if your processor already has a suitable one. In this case the only main difference is the addtional power which the F113 i feel already has spades of. I will try to tune my F113s as you suggested in mono/stereo and see whether i can extract more from them.

thanks for your input....

See Profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7204 of 7225 Old 08-30-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm surprised this thread and FAthom following is still going strong. I haven't been on here for awhile as well and got curious on the newer 'v2's.
Having bought a couple of Fathom V2s, I figured there'd be a flurry of discussion about it. Even so, I'm still very excited I have them and they've been working well. I think the main thing is, those V2s have been out for at least a few years now, so all the excitement about them are all but gone. I think the biggest reason however that there is not much talk about them to today is because of the cost (which has always been a factor) and the fact there are many other subs for much less with much bigger drivers. At the same time however, I don't believe there are many other subs that can perform as well with the headroom these latest V2s can provide. Even the footprint of the Fathoms are not as demanding when compared to subs with the same size drivers.

Lots of reasons to like the Fathoms with cost being the one huge exception!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #7205 of 7225 Old 08-31-2019, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

JL audio says to run the subs built in room correction before your prepro room correction. So they both should be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7206 of 7225 Old 08-31-2019, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
JL audio says to run the subs built in room correction before your prepro room correction. So they both should be used.

V1 has a single band parametric equalizer. Current prepro room correction systems like Dirac and Trinnov are significantly more advanced and they correct both phase and amplitude. You can do multiposition eq with Dirac and Trinnov to get the best response over a broad area which you can't with V1 or V2. V2 is much better than V1 but if you have an advanced room correction system available then that would be the best option. You can always try it both ways with multiposition measurements and see what works best but I always try to avoid introducing unnecessary complexity into a process unless I can't get the desired result any other way.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #7207 of 7225 Old 08-31-2019, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
V1 has a single band parametric equalizer. Current prepro room correction systems like Dirac and Trinnov are significantly more advanced and they correct both phase and amplitude. You can do multiposition eq with Dirac and Trinnov to get the best response over a broad area which you can't with V1 or V2. V2 is much better than V1 but if you have an advanced room correction system available then that would be the best option. You can always try it both ways with multiposition measurements and see what works best but I always try to avoid introducing unnecessary complexity into a process unless I can't get the desired result any other way.
Good advise. I had mine professionally calibrated and was told the result was much better than what the auto system did with my f113v2s.

post #7208 of 7225 Old 10-13-2019, 05:26 PM

Do you think my two Fathom 113v2 subs are adequate for a 3400 cubic foot home theater we are building ?

I will have to position them at the front corners. Obviously 4 subs would be better , but I am hoping 2 would provide enough tangible bass you can feel.

Acoustically treated room and hopefully a Dirac Live 2.0 pre pro.
post #7209 of 7225 Old 10-17-2019, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you think my two Fathom 113v2 subs are adequate for a 3400 cubic foot home theater we are building ?

I will have to position them at the front corners. Obviously 4 subs would be better , but I am hoping 2 would provide enough tangible bass you can feel.

Acoustically treated room and hopefully a Dirac Live 2.0 pre pro.
I only have a 2200 cubic foot dedicated room and find two fathoms adequte but not thrilling. I am looking for a third for more tactile response.

You probably need to step up to dual F212 or better yet Gotham subs, or try to find a way to accomodate at least three F112/F113 subs.

See Profile
post #7210 of 7225 Old 10-17-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I only have a 2200 cubic foot dedicated room and find two fathoms adequte but not thrilling. I am looking for a third for more tactile response.

You probably need to step up to dual F212 or better yet Gotham subs, or try to find a way to accomodate at least three F112/F113 subs.

What are the two Fathom models in your space, and where do you have them positioned in your room ?

I wonder how much more “bank for your buck” you would get by adding a sub like the SVS SB-4000 (or ported PB-4000) or M&K X12? Would these blend with the fathoms well?
post #7211 of 7225 Old 10-17-2019, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What are the two Fathom models in your space, and where do you have them positioned in your room ?

I wonder how much more “bank for your buck” you would get by adding a sub like the SVS SB-4000 (or ported PB-4000) or M&K X12? Would these blend with the fathoms well?
I've got the original v1's. Each one is close to mid way on the side wall. I prefer to keep the same brand/model line up to keep things aestheically and sonically similar.

See Profile
post #7212 of 7225 Old 10-18-2019, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hows durability on these... any issues with the amps?
post #7213 of 7225 Old 11-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

There have been some folks with issues with prematurely failing caps on v1 models but in all cases JL has come through and replaced those amp modules. Even owners post-warranty can send their sub or amp into JL and get it brought up to spec. I just hope JL is now using better caps in their current electronics.

For us Canadians, Gemsen in Toronto (JL canadian distributor) will typically do the repairs. I have an original F113 driver that failed and JL authorized a full amp and driver replacement. Hope my repair goes well at Gemsen
post #7214 of 7225 Old 11-03-2019, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith_JL View Post
Gentlemen,

Foam surrounds have come a long way in the last ten years and we use them extensively in much tougher automotive environments. The newer foam materials have much longer lifespans than older materials that tended to dry-rot after a few years. While I cannot give you a specific prediction of how long it will last in your specific environment, we feel confident the materials used in our subwoofers will last longer than a decade.

Mink oil is not recommended... only the pure distilled essence of hummingbird wings should be used.... I'm kidding, of course: THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO TREAT THE SURROUNDS WITH OIL or any other substance. This could do more harm than good.

As for the service parts support for our products:
We strive to provide service parts for our products for as long as possible, but we commit to providing parts for at least seven years from the date of discontinuation of a product. Being that Fathoms will probably be built for a few more years as they are presently constituted, this will add up to a decade or more. There have been some isolated cases where parts became impossible to source due to suppliers that went under, but we have contingency plans in place now that should prevent these scenarios from occurring.

Hope that answers your questions.

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
Came across this old discussion of mine on Foam surround longevity back from 2007.... and after +12years or so of owning Fathom subs, I can confidently say that the foam surrounds indeed held up very well with even many years left of service. The W7 drivers are built like tanks!!

Unfortunately though I cant say the same on the electronics reliability, however those are some of the parts that still can be serviced thankfully.

See Profile

Last edited by scanido; 11-03-2019 at 07:05 AM.
post #7215 of 7225 Old 11-17-2019, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

F113v1 vs F113v2

Really late to the party but I have now had the pleasure of comparing the F113v2 and F113v1. Simply, the updated v2 seems more refined and articulate. At close to the limits of the F113v1, the v2 sub is cleaner sounding. There is just less driver mechanical noise, seems more effortless. When idle, the v2 amp noise is very faint as well, compared to my F113v1 which has a more decernible hum from the transformer - I've had many v1 subs and this was always an issue with them. I tested both subs over the course of a week and on tracks including the infamous Edge of Tomorrow intro scene, and Ready Player One last battle scene... the v2 was the better sonic sub. This is at loud reference levels with only one sub and not something i will be playing regularly so with at least dual subs i dont seen an issue in my room with the F113v1.

See Profile

Last edited by scanido; 12-13-2019 at 07:18 AM.
post #7216 of 7225 Old 12-30-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My F113 v1 has appeared to have died (again). About 5 years ago during a move the amp or something gave out, and I had JL service it and it was working fine. Now I hear a faint 'cat purring' hum, and I don't get any bass. A local JL dealer can come out for $149 to look at it, and take it into the shop for service. I don't know if the amp died, or something else. If I change the 'phase' settings the purring cat sound changes a bit. I should mention the purring sound is with NO audio cables hooked up, so it's not a grounding loop issue.

I know I don't have a repair estimate yet, but should I get it fixed or just throw in the towel and get a whole new sub? I'm NOT impressed with the reliability of the electronics, as this will be the second $$ repair. I don't want yet another repair in xx years that will burn a hole in my pocket.

Does the 'cat purring' hum sound like a bad amp? The dealer said they could replace the amp, but probably nothing else electronic within the sub. This was not a cheap sub so I'm VERY disappointed in these costly repairs.
post #7217 of 7225 Old 12-30-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2796 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post
My F113 v1 has appeared to have died (again). About 5 years ago during a move the amp or something gave out, and I had JL service it and it was working fine. Now I hear a faint 'cat purring' hum, and I don't get any bass. A local JL dealer can come out for $149 to look at it, and take it into the shop for service. I don't know if the amp died, or something else. If I change the 'phase' settings the purring cat sound changes a bit. I should mention the purring sound is with NO audio cables hooked up, so it's not a grounding loop issue.

I know I don't have a repair estimate yet, but should I get it fixed or just throw in the towel and get a whole new sub? I'm NOT impressed with the reliability of the electronics, as this will be the second $$ repair. I don't want yet another repair in xx years that will burn a hole in my pocket.

Does the 'cat purring' hum sound like a bad amp? The dealer said they could replace the amp, but probably nothing else electronic within the sub. This was not a cheap sub so I'm VERY disappointed in these costly repairs.
One of the drawbacks to brick and mortar "boutique" manufacturers.

If you were satisfied with the output and are looking to replace it with something just as good or in most cases better try one of these-
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/G25HP.html
muscles likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #7218 of 7225 Old 12-30-2019, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

The F113 are still renowned for their performance/size so if you still value that I would just get it repaired and your sub will be just as new. I heard JL typically brings the sub up to current specs if you send it to them. This means the known cap issues are updated with more reliable ones and if needed your sub driver also brought up to spec I.e very similar to V2 drivers.

It seems very common now there are electronic issues with the V1 fathoms. JL should really step up and recall these components in my opinion.

See Profile
post #7219 of 7225 Old 12-30-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
The F113 are still renowned for their performance/size so if you still value that I would just get it repaired and your sub will be just as new. I heard JL typically brings the sub up to current specs if you send it to them. This means the known cap issues are updated with more reliable ones and if needed your sub driver also brought up to spec I.e very similar to V2 drivers.

It seems very common now there are electronic issues with the V1 fathoms. JL should really step up and recall these components in my opinion.

Thanks for the input. Since this is my second encounter with a dead F113, I'm not inclined to keep it only to have it die again. I'll see what the repair quote comes back at, but I might just repair and then turn around and sell so I can wash my hands of it.
post #7220 of 7225 Old 12-30-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 7355 Post(s)
Liked: 16737
I have two f113's. One of them gets wonky on occasion. Like some mysterious bass gremlin jacked the gain to 11. I unplug it for a few minutes, plug it back in and it's good to go. For awhile at least. This happens sporadically. Sometimes once a month, sometimes it goes longer. Any idea why this is happening? Should I be concerned?

post #7221 of 7225 Old 12-30-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
One of the drawbacks to brick and mortar "boutique" manufacturers.

If you were satisfied with the output and are looking to replace it with something just as good or in most cases better try one of these-
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/G25HP.html

Wouldn’t this me a much better alternative to f113 than the Rythmic sub:

https://seatonsound.net/product/f18-subwoofer/

post #7222 of 7225 Old 12-30-2019, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2796 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
Wouldn’t this me a much better alternative to f113 than the Rythmic sub:

https://seatonsound.net/product/f18-subwoofer/

No.plus seaton is really hit or miss with CS. Mostly miss these days.
post #7223 of 7225 Old 01-15-2020, 02:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I have a pair of F112's, about 8 years old. I only use them about 2 hours a month, and even then just for normal music listening. Let me first say that these are badass subs and I am very happy with the sound they produce.

One of them suddenly developed a loud hum and doesn't respond to anything else. Capacitor failure for sure. It is NOT a ground loop. Not a terribly hard repair, but most people can't do it at home. These are high end subs and JL should step up to the plate and take care of their customers. Just set up a dealer in each major city who can replace the caps, come clean and own up to a design flaw and you will actually boost sales because people will trust you. It's mind boggling how hard some of these companies are trying to alienate a loyal customer base.

Last edited by ddgtr; 01-15-2020 at 02:13 AM.
post #7224 of 7225 Old 01-15-2020, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 7355 Post(s)
Liked: 16737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post
I have a pair of F112's, about 8 years old. I only use them about 2 hours a month, and even then just for normal music listening. Let me first say that these are badass subs and I am very happy with the sound they produce.

One of them suddenly developed a loud hum and doesn't respond to anything else. Capacitor failure for sure. It is NOT a ground loop. Not a terribly hard repair, but most people can't do it at home. These are high end subs and JL should step up to the plate and take care of their customers. Just set up a dealer in each major city who can replace the caps, come clean and own up to a design flaw and you will actually boost sales because people will trust you. It's mind boggling how hard some of these companies are trying to alienate a loyal customer base.
Your room still drops my jaw. Outstanding, double D.

post #7225 of 7225 Old 01-16-2020, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks Wabo!! Good to see you around the forum again, I've been away for a while
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page