Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 1040 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44485Likes

post #31171 of 31371 Old 05-26-2019, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Not all AVRs have separate LFE low-pass filter control - it's set on 120 Hz and that's it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31172 of 31371 Old 05-26-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Why does the subwoofer matching tool on the SVS website show different crossover recommendations for a stereo system versus a surround/AV processor system?

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #31173 of 31371 Old 05-26-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 3423
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Why does the subwoofer matching tool on the SVS website show different crossover recommendations for a stereo system versus a surround/AV processor system?
Is it lower for the stereo? My guess is with the stereo system, they are assuming you have no bass management, and the crossover suggested is probably where the bass rolls off on the speakers. Just guessing, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31174 of 31371 Old 05-26-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Is it lower for the stereo? My guess is with the stereo system, they are assuming you have no bass management, and the crossover suggested is probably where the bass rolls off on the speakers. Just guessing, though.
Yes, the crossover is lower for stereo, and there is also a recommended degree of slope for the low-pass filter, which leads me to think they are expecting some kind of adjustable crossover, either in the 2-channel equipment or as an external crossover.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #31175 of 31371 Old 05-26-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by abba1 View Post
I hate to betray my ignorance, but goes. I was reading with interest ''cascading crossovers'' in mthomas' ''Guide to Subwoofer Calibration.'' In the Setting Procedure'' there are listed three steps. For the life of me I cannot see a difference between step one (setting speaker crossovers in the AVR) and step two (implementing an LPF of LFE to match speaker crossovers). As a side note I have a pair of SVS SB1000's and a Yamaha 1080. Thanks in advance.
Yamaha AVRs typically do not have a user adjustment for adjusting the low pass on the LFE .1 channel.

This setting (if the AVR has it - and typically that is limited to Denon, Marantz and Onkyo) only affects the low pass for the LFE .1 channel on the soundtrack and should not be conflated with the speaker/subwoofer crossover for each speaker channel - they are two different settings.

In your case, just set the speaker/subwoofer crossover in your AVR to the appropriate value for each speaker channel. The LFE .1 channel will be handled automatically by the Yamaha.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #31176 of 31371 Old 05-26-2019, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hi Guys,
Yet another user with some sub decision advice request

My room is L shaped with 4900 FT^3. The MLP will be around 12 feet. Polk RTIa7 on the front on a 5.4.x setup. Currently with a Polk DSW660 which for obvious reason cannot handle the bass.

What should I go ? One PB3000 or one PB4000 ? For this size should I necessarily go to 2 PB3000 ?

I am in Canada which makes things more difficulty . No try out as I doubt that I would get free shipping return . What would you say ? I am considering other ID brands as well but if I stay at SVS, which configuration would you suggest ?

My budget ( which has been reviewed twice and will not be reviewed again ) could take me to two PB3000 but honestly I would not like to spend that money now unless strictly necessary.

By the way, someone had experience with using the bill of rights in Canada ? Can we upgrade in one year ? How would work , do we ship back to the retailer or to SVS ?

BR,
Leandro
post #31177 of 31371 Old 05-27-2019, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
The wireless connection will introduce about 25 ms of latency. So you'll need to adjust the phase control on the rear sub to get optimal blending/integration with the front wired subwoofer. While this can be done by ear, using something like REW and a UMIK-1 to measure the combined FR is very helpful.
Ed,

Can you use two of your wireless devices simultaneously (for those of us who need a "REW for Dummies" book?)
post #31178 of 31371 Old 05-27-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post
Ed,

Can you use two of your wireless devices simultaneously (for those of us who need a "REW for Dummies" book?)
Yes - the SoundPath Wireless Audio Adapter supports one transmitter with two receivers (for a dual mono sub application) or two transmitters with two receivers (for a dual discrete sub application like XT32).

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #31179 of 31371 Old 05-27-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5382 Post(s)
Liked: 10070
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmendes View Post
Hi Guys,
Yet another user with some sub decision advice request

My room is L shaped with 4900 FT^3. The MLP will be around 12 feet. Polk RTIa7 on the front on a 5.4.x setup. Currently with a Polk DSW660 which for obvious reason cannot handle the bass.

What should I go ? One PB3000 or one PB4000 ? For this size should I necessarily go to 2 PB3000 ?

I am in Canada which makes things more difficulty . No try out as I doubt that I would get free shipping return . What would you say ? I am considering other ID brands as well but if I stay at SVS, which configuration would you suggest ?

My budget ( which has been reviewed twice and will not be reviewed again ) could take me to two PB3000 but honestly I would not like to spend that money now unless strictly necessary.

By the way, someone had experience with using the bill of rights in Canada ? Can we upgrade in one year ? How would work , do we ship back to the retailer or to SVS ?

BR,
Leandro

Hi Leandro,

I remember that we communicated a bit on the PSA thread. Others, who actually live in Canada, can answer your last questions better than I can. But, I believe that you may be able to get a short free-trial period, but I don't believe that you will have access to the one-year upgrade plan in Canada.

If you have increased your budget now to be able to afford dual PB3000's (even if you would rather not spend quite that much ) then that is what I would recommend. As you know, I recommended dual subs for you on the other thread, as well. The PB3000 is actually a little closer in capability to the PB4000, in the mid-bass, than I think the designers were expecting it to be, although the PB4000 would still have about a 3db advantage <35Hz or so.

But, that is for a single PB4000 compared to a single PB3000. With dual PB3000's, the +3db advantage <35Hz would shift in the other direction. The dual PB3000's would be much stronger in the mid-bass and also ~3db stronger in the low-bass frequencies, where room gain would start to help, even in a 4900^3 room.

Given your budget, and your belief that you won't be able to upgrade again any time soon, if you want to buy SVS subwoofers, and if you can stretch to buy dual PB3000's, then that is what I would do. The last two or three pages are full of posts, by multiple sub owners, advising people to go even bigger than they think they will need. You see the same advice, for the same reasons, on the PSA thread.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #31180 of 31371 Old 05-27-2019, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

BR,
Leandro
No one year upgrade option here in Canada. Even in States that plan is available only to subs bought directly from SVS not other retailers, I think.
In canada, EFLC one of the authorized retailer in Ontario has a "45-day in-home audition" during which time you can exchange/upgrade with shipping covered. I don't know about the other retailers.

As recommended by the other user I wouldn't hesitate to go for dual PB 3000. Good luck!

Samsung UN65JS8500, Onkyo TX-NR747, Oppo UDP-203, Samsung UBD-K8500, Focal speakers, SVS dual subs.
post #31181 of 31371 Old 05-27-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi Leandro,

I remember that we communicated a bit on the PSA thread. Others, who actually live in Canada, can answer your last questions better than I can. But, I believe that you may be able to get a short free-trial period, but I don't believe that you will have access to the one-year upgrade plan in Canada.

If you have increased your budget now to be able to afford dual PB3000's (even if you would rather not spend quite that much ) then that is what I would recommend. As you know, I recommended dual subs for you on the other thread, as well. The PB3000 is actually a little closer in capability to the PB4000, in the mid-bass, than I think the designers were expecting it to be, although the PB4000 would still have about a 3db advantage <35Hz or so.

But, that is for a single PB4000 compared to a single PB3000. With dual PB3000's, the +3db advantage <35Hz would shift in the other direction. The dual PB3000's would be much stronger in the mid-bass and also ~3db stronger in the low-bass frequencies, where room gain would start to help, even in a 4900^3 room.

Given your budget, and your belief that you won't be able to upgrade again any time soon, if you want to buy SVS subwoofers, and if you can stretch to buy dual PB3000's, then that is what I would do. The last two or three pages are full of posts, by multiple sub owners, advising people to go even bigger than they think they will need. You see the same advice, for the same reasons, on the PSA thread.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your response. It is not easy to buy a new sub with so many good options.I don't think actually that is hard to buy with so many good options on the market but definitely overwhelming to the kind of people that likes to research before doing their decision. Yes, I increased my budget but now I am stuck with it. If I go to just one sub, there will be many options available. If I going to double sub now my only two options at the moment are the PB3000 and the V1510. It seem that will be between those two as they have a very similar price shipped to Canada and amazing CS.

Leandro
mthomas47 likes this.
post #31182 of 31371 Old 05-27-2019, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I saw a post somewhat recently which of course, I can't find anymore, could have been another thread even...

Anyway, with multiple subs, I read it was recommended to use a Y-splitter from a single Sub-out instead of using both outputs (I have a reciever with SubEQ, and also a MiniDSP 2x4 HD). Treating them as a single sub while Audyssey calibrates and does its stuff.

I'm fairly happy with my current setup (using both sub-outs) except that I can't seem to fix some dips in the frequency response.

I guess my question is, is that good advice? After Audyssey comes back with it's results treating them as a single sub, set some PEQ, delays from the minidsp instead? This is with dual PB-2000's.
post #31183 of 31371 Old 05-27-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ed Mullen, can you answer my question (posted 2 days ago) about why the subwoofer matching tool on the SVS website suggests different crossover pointes for a surround processor and a 2-channel system?

Thanks!

post #31184 of 31371 Old 05-27-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauncer View Post
I saw a post somewhat recently which of course, I can't find anymore, could have been another thread even...

Anyway, with multiple subs, I read it was recommended to use a Y-splitter from a single Sub-out instead of using both outputs (I have a reciever with SubEQ, and also a MiniDSP 2x4 HD). Treating them as a single sub while Audyssey calibrates and does its stuff.

I'm fairly happy with my current setup (using both sub-outs) except that I can't seem to fix some dips in the frequency response.

I guess my question is, is that good advice? After Audyssey comes back with it's results treating them as a single sub, set some PEQ, delays from the minidsp instead? This is with dual PB-2000's.
It doesn't make sense to me to use a Y-splitter if you have two separate sub outputs on your AVR (mine does). Audyssey sets the level and delay ("distance") for each sub separately at the beginning of calibration (mic position #1 ) and then calibrates the frequency response correct for both of them together. If you use a Y-splitter, there will only be a single setting for volume level and delay for both subs. In my system, one sub is located at the front of the room and the other is in the back (much closer to the main listening position); setting the same level for both of them would be silly. Audyssey set the level for the closer sub 3 dB lower than the farther sub.

post #31185 of 31371 Old 05-27-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Hi Mike,
It is not easy to buy a new sub with so many good options. (...) If I go to just one sub, there will be many options available.
Well in Canada, everything is more expensive and harder to get in the subwoofer business. I have no experience trying with other brands than SVS and PSA, but they look more complicated to deal with in case of a problem.

I have dual PC12-Plus (which are the 3000's previous generation) in my main setup, and I can confirm they can go deep and hit hard (although my living room is much smaller). I assume this will be the same and even more so with the PB-3000s. There was one dud (stuck/frozen driver) when I got them back in 2012 or so, but SVS/SonicBoomAudio/EFLC quickly fixed this.

I also have a XS15se, which was the sealed precursor to the V1510df. I can't compare it with the Pluses though because 1) they're not in the same room, 2) the PSA is sealed and 3) there's only one. But I have no complain there either.

I've never tried running just one Plus in the main room. I like to think that bass is more uniform (both spatially and spectrally) because I run dual but it takes time to test if you can get comparably good results with a single sub vs two. And it's not like bass is absolutely identical everywhere with two subs either: bass is always stronger close to a wall, and the first room mode will always produce a null at the center if the room is rectangular. One thing is for sure, having a single sub is simpler to configure as there are less parameters and gotchas to worry about (e.g. out-of-phase subs cancelling each other).

Good luck with the purchase!

post #31186 of 31371 Old 05-27-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5382 Post(s)
Liked: 10070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauncer View Post

Quote:
It doesn't make sense to me to use a Y-splitter if you have two separate sub outputs on your AVR (mine does). Audyssey sets the level and delay ("distance") for each sub separately at the beginning of calibration (mic position #1 ) and then calibrates the frequency response correct for both of them together. If you use a Y-splitter, there will only be a single setting for volume level and delay for both subs. In my system, one sub is located at the front of the room and the other is in the back (much closer to the main listening position); setting the same level for both of them would be silly. Audyssey set the level for the closer sub 3 dB lower than the farther sub.

In my semi-educated opinion, this question of how best to set distances, phase, and either pre or post-calibration EQ tweaks with a combination of automated room EQ and a miniDSP is too complicated for generalizations. I know that where subs are on the same wall, and equidistant, Mark Seaton recommends using a Y-connector into a single sub out, even with XT-32 with SubEQ. In his experience, there is a greater likelihood of more uniform results that way, if Audyssey has one less variable to address.

When subs are not reasonably equidistant, and/or are on different walls, how someone can best employ a miniDSP, in conjunction with XT-32 (or another similar kind of room EQ) is more complicated. For instance, I don't believe that Dirac sets distances for subs at all. A rule of thumb which may be helpful is to make major changes in the frequency response before running Audyssey, and to make minor changes, such as lifting a couple of dips, reducing a couple of peaks, or implementing some sort of house curve, after running Audyssey.

Here is a quote from Ed Mullen on this subject, from the previous page:

"If the distances set by XT32 result in phase cancellation, then he can tweak the distance settings for the subwoofers and re-measure to see if the phase cancellation can be minimized. The only issue here is that XT32 can't be re-run at this point to optimize the EQ filters which were already built for the combined subwoofer response.

The other option is to specify a single subwoofer in the AVR, run both subwoofers off the same feed, measure the combined FR of both subwoofers, adjust the phase as needed to obtain the smoothest combined FR, and then running XT32 and allowing it to select a single subwoofer distance and then re-assessing the combined FR again to see if the single distance setting introduced any additional phase anomalies."

If I were @Bauncer I would contact Ed Mullen, of SVS, directly to get some personalized tech support. He will be much better able to assist you with some in-depth advice than what you are able to get, piecemeal, by posting on a thread. That kind of tech support is part of the advantage of having SVS subs, and Ed deals with multi-sub calibration issues all the time.

Regards,
Mike
darthray and Matt2026 like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 05-27-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Clarification
post #31187 of 31371 Old 05-27-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
Well in Canada, everything is more expensive and harder to get in the subwoofer business. I have no experience trying with other brands than SVS and PSA, but they look more complicated to deal with in case of a problem.

I have dual PC12-Plus (which are the 3000's previous generation) in my main setup, and I can confirm they can go deep and hit hard (although my living room is much smaller). I assume this will be the same and even more so with the PB-3000s. There was one dud (stuck/frozen driver) when I got them back in 2012 or so, but SVS/SonicBoomAudio/EFLC quickly fixed this.

I also have a XS15se, which was the sealed precursor to the V1510df. I can't compare it with the Pluses though because 1) they're not in the same room, 2) the PSA is sealed and 3) there's only one. But I have no complain there either.

I've never tried running just one Plus in the main room. I like to think that bass is more uniform (both spatially and spectrally) because I run dual but it takes time to test if you can get comparably good results with a single sub vs two. And it's not like bass is absolutely identical everywhere with two subs either: bass is always stronger close to a wall, and the first room mode will always produce a null at the center if the room is rectangular. One thing is for sure, having a single sub is simpler to configure as there are less parameters and gotchas to worry about (e.g. out-of-phase subs cancelling each other).

Good luck with the purchase!

Thanks Neutro. Yes it seems that I cannot go wrong with those two configurations that I short listed . It will be a kind of subjective choice and as I cannot test them before hand, I will have to pick one choice and move on.

How big is your room ? Do you think that 2 PB3k would pressurize my room ?

BR,
Leandro
post #31188 of 31371 Old 05-27-2019, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks both for your replies.

@mthomas47 That line from Mark Seaton sounds like what I was thinking of, and now I am re-reading it I think I must have missed the part about the subs being equidistant. That does make some sense if the subs were placed like that.

Mine are in opposite corners of my room (rectangular basement area), with the MLP not quite in the mid point between them and close to the back wall. This placement seems to give the best results of the options I've tried, using both sub-outs as I mentioned before. So with that said, I think i'll continue with the way I have it set for now. I'll see about talking to Ed if I run into any roadblocks.

The miniDSP is a recent addition so I've been reading, researching, tweaking and testing lots of configurations. It's always fun seeing numbers go up, and sometimes go down. :P
darthray and mthomas47 like this.
post #31189 of 31371 Old 05-27-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 2992
Quote:
Ed Mullen, can you answer my question (posted 2 days ago) about why the subwoofer matching tool on the SVS website suggests different crossover pointes for a surround processor and a 2-channel system?

Thanks!

If I were You.
I would contact the SVS Customer Service directly, through there web page. And Ed often reply personally.
While Ed do monitor this thread and others. Sometime a post can be miss.
After all, a thread like this one can move very fast. And easy to miss a single post.

Darth
mthomas47 likes this.
post #31190 of 31371 Old 05-28-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
How big is your room ? Do you think that 2 PB3k would pressurize my room ?
My room is about 11x16x8 ft so a tad above 1408 cu ft. However there is a doorway that is always open to the kitchen area. In any case, the dual Pluses are, I'd say, almost grossly overpowered for the task, although it is nice to know that I have ample headroom.

I have no idea what the dual PB3k will do to your room honestly. But as @mthomas47 said, that would beat a single PB4k.
darthray, mthomas47 and lmendes like this.

post #31191 of 31371 Old 05-28-2019, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
PB 3000 or PB 2000

Newbie here--I too live in Canada and I would love to add a PB 3000 to my HT setup which already houses a PB 2000 and older Energy S10. However, my budget would be restricted to another PB 2000 (but maybe not) and call it a night. I've been texting back and forth with Aamir from HiFi Summit in Ontario--I've found him very helpful to his clients. I hope that adding a second PB2 will be able to satisfy my need for more SPL and smooth out the FR in my room which is roughly 55' X 14' X 8'. My HT sits in about 1/3 of this room and my PB2 is corner loaded while the S10 sits to the side of my seating area. My only hesitation is that if I don't jump up to the PB3, will it give me any regrets and questions of 'what if' I had the PB3 instead of the PB2. I'm sorta stuck b/n getting the PB3 VS another PB2--will I have any issues with those 2 different subs? I don't seem to notice now w/ my current set up. I have no intentions of upgrading at a later time. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
post #31192 of 31371 Old 05-28-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadcru View Post
Newbie here--I too live in Canada and I would love to add a PB 3000 to my HT setup which already houses a PB 2000 and older Energy S10. However, my budget would be restricted to another PB 2000 (but maybe not) and call it a night. I've been texting back and forth with Aamir from HiFi Summit in Ontario--I've found him very helpful to his clients. I hope that adding a second PB2 will be able to satisfy my need for more SPL and smooth out the FR in my room which is roughly 55' X 14' X 8'. My HT sits in about 1/3 of this room and my PB2 is corner loaded while the S10 sits to the side of my seating area. My only hesitation is that if I don't jump up to the PB3, will it give me any regrets and questions of 'what if' I had the PB3 instead of the PB2. I'm sorta stuck b/n getting the PB3 VS another PB2--will I have any issues with those 2 different subs? I don't seem to notice now w/ my current set up. I have no intentions of upgrading at a later time. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
You obviously understand the benefits in upgrading to the PB3000. If these are truly your two objectives and you don't foresee a further upgrade in the near future, I would recommend a PB3000 now and add a second PB3000 after later selling your PB2000. This should satisfy your objectives...particularly for your large space.

BTW....I've owned dual PB2000's in a 40'x15'x8' space with excellent results/performance...loved the extension, output, and especially their "sound signature." Although I've not heard them, dual PB3000's should give you more of the same...but MUCH more. Good luck with your decision!
darthray and drh3b like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 05-28-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #31193 of 31371 Old 05-28-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Just looking for a little guidance. Currently I have an emotiva xref 12, a sealed sub that i think sounds good, but im no expert. I have an open floor plan with kitchen attached to viewing area. The viewing area is about 3000 cubic feet with kitchen about 6000, these are not exact but I believe close. I sit about 10-12 ft away from front sound stage, My question is in you guys opinion should I get 2 pb1000 or 2 sb2000. The small form factor is appealing from the sb2000 but i keep reading i will be missing low freq. with the sealed, i never noticed or just didnt know i was missing it when listening with my current sub. I also need WAF, but i think i can manage that. They will be paired with motion 40 and motion 50xt. It's about 50/50 movies, TV and music. I would love to get pb2000 , but I think they will be to big for that area. Just looking for an upgrade over the emotiva. I do not listen to music at reference levels. The loudest I will probably turn up system is -20 for movies and music. I have a denon x4500 receiver. Also is the sb3000 that much of an upgrade over sb2000 and pb1000. Thanks in advance, looking to purchase soon just need help deciding

Last edited by cdjocp; 05-28-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #31194 of 31371 Old 05-28-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadcru View Post
Just a few words of wisdom

Look at the bright side, two PB2000 will be much easier to integrate together. Than two different subs.
Also with two different subs, the superior one will be restricted during calibration. To match the weaker one.

As a fellow Canadian, I know they cost much higher due to our weak dollar.
That said, if I were you. I would utilize your present PB2000, and start saving for dual PB3000.
A year or so, can go by very fast. And then no regret.
If this option is not possible, buy a second PB2000 without regret to match your current one.
And ditch your older Energy S10. This one restrain your current sub, and would do the same for your future setup.

Darth
gene4ht likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 05-28-2019 at 04:56 PM.
post #31195 of 31371 Old 05-28-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjocp View Post
Just looking for a little guidance. Currently I have an emotiva xref 12, a sealed sub that i think sounds good, but im no expert. I have an open floor plan with kitchen attached to viewing area. The viewing area is about 3000 cubic feet with kitchen about 6000, these are not exact but I believe close. I sit about 10-12 ft away from front sound stage, My question is in you guys opinion should I get 2 pb1000 or 2 sb2000. The small form factor is appealing from the sb2000 but i keep reading i will be missing low freq. with the sealed, i never noticed or just didnt know i was missing it when listening with my current sub. I also need WAF, but i think i can manage that. They will be paired with motion 40 and motion 50xt. It's about 50/50 movies, TV and music. I would love to get pb2000 , but I think they will be to big for that area. Just looking for an upgrade over the emotiva. I do not listen to music at reference levels. The loudest I will probably turn up system is -20 for movies and music. I have a denon x4500 receiver. Also is the sb3000 that much of an upgrade over sb2000 and pb1000. Thanks in advance, looking to purchase soon just need help deciding
So your total area is 6000^ft, as far are the subs are concern. Speakers wise, you are just fine
Speakers only care about there physical location, to your MLP. Unlike subs that tried to fill all open spaces.

Subs wise, if I were you. I would get dual PB2000 (and not dual PB1000), since it is a big area. Size wise, your Missy will get use very fast to the bigger size (and don't forget to get her some flowers, or something nice). Really not that much difference, between the PB2000 and the SB2000. Very serious music lover swear by a seal design. But a well integrated port design, can also sound excellent and have an advantage. When it come movies and bigger space to fill.

Darth
gene4ht and cdjocp like this.

Last edited by darthray; 05-28-2019 at 05:17 PM.
post #31196 of 31371 Old 05-28-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abba1 View Post
I hate to betray my ignorance, but goes. I was reading with interest ''cascading crossovers'' in mthomas' ''Guide to Subwoofer Calibration.'' In the Setting Procedure'' there are listed three steps. For the life of me I cannot see a difference between step one (setting speaker crossovers in the AVR) and step two (implementing an LPF of LFE to match speaker crossovers). As a side note I have a pair of SVS SB1000's and a Yamaha 1080. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Here's the dirty and easy way.
While you say you cannot find the crossover section, it is in available in all AVR now a day. You might be looking into the wrong place

Once there set your speakers at 80Hz for now, you can experiment later with lower/higher crossover settings.
Since cascading crossovers only involve the sub/s. try this;
-Set your LFE on your AVR to either 80 or 90Hz, instead of the default 120 Hz.
-Set your sub/s on back controls, at the same value (80 or 90Hz).

And your are done, other than experimenting what sound best to you.

Darth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
Not all AVRs have separate LFE low-pass filter control - it's set on 120 Hz and that's it.

And you are correct
My post was more for most AVR now a day, and did assume that Yamaha would add this option.

Darth
post #31197 of 31371 Old 05-29-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The 2-channel stereo setting is for the on-board low pass filter of the subwoofer when the subwoofer is receiving a full-range signal from the 2-channel pre-amp and the speakers are running on full-range.

The AV processor setting is for the digital speaker/subwoofer crossover in the AVR for that speaker channel.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #31198 of 31371 Old 05-29-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!
I posted a reply to your original question. The two recommendations are not both 'crossover points'. One is a digital crossover in the AV processor for AV applications, and the other is a low pass filter setting at the subwoofer for dedicated 2-channel applications.
pbarach likes this.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #31199 of 31371 Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So I’ve decided on a second PB2 w/o regret. Should be shipped today—thanks for the affirmation Darth—I just needed that reassurance.
One more: would it be wiser to connect the 2 subs from a single sub out or use each sub out (I have 2 sub outs) and run them separately? I have them on their own output now but would like to see if corner loading both PB2’s would yield good results and that would mean y connecting the PB’s since my wiring is fixed in wall.
darthray likes this.
post #31200 of 31371 Old 05-29-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
The 2-channel stereo setting is for the on-board low pass filter of the subwoofer when the subwoofer is receiving a full-range signal from the 2-channel pre-amp and the speakers are running on full-range.

The AV processor setting is for the digital speaker/subwoofer crossover in the AVR for that speaker channel.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page