Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 1043 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44459Likes

post #31261 of 31356 Old 06-23-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1966 View Post
Would you consider the PB1000 to be a "larger sub"? And I'm not talking about the dimensions I'm talking about overall size in general. I can see the dimensions on the web site but need to know if the size will be overkill for my smaller room before I make the order. I have some room for it but I don't want a large sub in small area, that would look kinda out of place. If I'm going to get this I'll place my order Monday sometime.
While it is certainly not "small" compared to the majority of sealed subs (like the SB1000), I wouldn't consider it big either especially in the world of ported subs. Overall, it is going to be bigger than most subs from "common" brands like Infinity, Klipsch, Yamaha, etc so if you considered those big, then it might be on the large side for you. I know this probably doesn't help much, but here is a picture of my current front setup. Note that the TV is 65" which should give you a good idea of how big everything else is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	957.8 KB
ID:	2583468  
Matt2026 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31262 of 31356 Old 06-23-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1966 View Post
Would you consider the PB1000 to be a "larger sub"? And I'm not talking about the dimensions I'm talking about overall size in general. I can see the dimensions on the web site but need to know if the size will be overkill for my smaller room before I make the order. I have some room for it but I don't want a large sub in small area, that would look kinda out of place. If I'm going to get this I'll place my order Monday sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

I guess a lot depends on our own perceptions and expectations. To the owner of a Mini Cooper, a mid-size Toyota might seem like a very large car. To put "larger" in perspective, the PB1000 is the smallest ported subwoofer that SVS makes. Above that, in order of size, are the PB2000, the PB3000, the PB4000, and the PB16. And, even the largest SVS sub, the PB16, is not large compared to some of the subwoofers which people put in their home theaters or mixed-use rooms.

Most of us who are starting to get serious about subwoofers probably tend to be a little too concerned initially about whether subwoofers will be too big. Over time, most of us begin to understand the essential correlation between subwoofer size and bass performance, and we may move to even bigger models than the ones we started with. That is a pretty common pattern.

All of this is to say that from most owners' perspectives, the PB1000 will not be too big for even a 10' by 10' by 8' (800^3) room. But, your perspective is the only one that really counts, and you will need to try one to find out. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy a PB1000. And, don't be surprised if you find yourself wanting to go even bigger after a while. That's where the free-trial period, and SVS's upgrade program, will be helpful for you.

Regards,
Mike
Mike's comments are 100% on point! Bottom line in the world of quality performing "ported" subwoofers, the PB1000 would actually be considered a "small" subwoofer...even in your space.
darthray, mthomas47 and Matt2026 like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #31263 of 31356 Old 06-23-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
One of my SB13-Ultra's just died on me recently, no power, no lights, no nothing. As I purchased both of them from Magnolia who has a full purchase credit exchange for a failed unit I'm thinking of selling off the other SB13-Ultra and getting a pair of newer models.

My question is, what current model is comparable to the SB13-Ultra? And I'm also thinking of going with ported boxes this time as well as I'm 90% video and about 10% music. That is if the cost works out right of course.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31264 of 31356 Old 06-23-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 24235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
One of my SB13-Ultra's just died on me recently, no power, no lights, no nothing. As I purchased both of them from Magnolia who has a full purchase credit exchange for a failed unit I'm thinking of selling off the other SB13-Ultra and getting a pair of newer models.

My question is, what current model is comparable to the SB13-Ultra? And I'm also thinking of going with ported boxes this time as well as I'm 90% video and about 10% music. That is if the cost works out right of course.

Thanks for your input.
Did you check the fuse?
darthray likes this.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
9.1.) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Aircom T-8, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #31265 of 31356 Old 06-23-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
Did you check the fuse?
That's the first thing I thought of but there doesn't appear to be any fuse on the unit, at least not where I can see which is basically the amplifier/control panel on the back of the box.
post #31266 of 31356 Old 06-23-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 24235
Quote:
That's the first thing I thought of but there doesn't appear to be any fuse on the unit, at least not where I can see which is basically the amplifier/control panel on the back of the box.
I could be wrong but I think it's inside. You may have to pull the amp out.

I'd give SVS a call for instructions. If you're lucky Ed Mullen might visit the thread today...
mthomas47 likes this.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
9.1.) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Aircom T-8, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #31267 of 31356 Old 06-23-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
I could be wrong but I think it's inside. You may have to pull the amp out.

I'd give SVS a call for instructions. If you're lucky Ed Mullen might visit the thread today...
I found it, it's in a pullout section of the AC socket though I'm still trying to figure out if the pullout comes all the way out or do I just push the fuses down through the bottom.

I figured it out, it comes with a spare in fact. But, I put the spare in, plugged in the AC and the unit powered up, but then died again. There must be something amiss in the amplifier/PS unit.
post #31268 of 31356 Old 06-23-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:
I found it, it's in a pullout section of the AC socket though I'm still trying to figure out if the pullout comes all the way out or do I just push the fuses down through the bottom.

I figured it out, it comes with a spare in fact. But, I put the spare in, plugged in the AC and the unit powered up, but then died again. There must be something amiss in the amplifier/PS unit.
I was about to tell you that there is a fuse, just like my PB13Ultra.
Since you did found-it and try a new fuse, and die again. Perhaps a simple resistor/capacitator or some other part, that would be easy to replace. By an Electronic Repair Shop.
It should be fairly cheap to replace. If more serious like a board, the amp is totally dead.
On the bright side, SVS do sell a matching amp. Just need to contact @Ed Mullen for a quote.

Quote:

Thanks for your input.

I believe the SB4000 is the replacement model, for the SB13Ultra.

Darth
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 06-23-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #31269 of 31356 Old 06-23-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
While it is your room, and your choice.

Like many around here, we are just trying steer you in the right direction. From past experience that lead us to many regrets, and try to save you from that same mistake. Looking at your picture, you have plenty of room. To move your towers a few inches, to accommodate them.
The SB is 13.5" (H) 13" (W) 14" (D)
The PB is 18.9" (H) 15" (W) 19.4" (D)
Only 2" wider and 5.4" deeper. The height and deepness, are very easy to manage. And would disappear very fast, to get use to.

That said, and my apology in advance to sound blunt. Most of us with some experiences about subs, would not consider the brands you mention as a real subwoofer.
More like a woofer in a box, that cut off very quickly. When played too loud/or frequencies that are too low, and return to momma by shutting down to protect it-self.

Darth
I think you are getting something mixed up here. I already have my PB-1000's. A different poster was looking for advice between the 2 subs.
darthray likes this.
post #31270 of 31356 Old 06-23-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
I think you are getting something mixed up here. I already have my PB-1000's. A different poster was looking for advice between the 2 subs.

I did
I now see, that I preaching to the choir
Thanks for pointing this out!!!

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 06-24-2019 at 05:56 PM.
post #31271 of 31356 Old 06-23-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
i did
thanks for pointing this out!!!

Darth
np!
darthray likes this.
post #31272 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:

Contact SVS Customer Service at [email protected]. We'll need a copy of your purchase receipt and the SN from the amp label - and then we'll get you set-up with a replacement amplifier. Then you will be able to sell a fully functioning unit if you want to upgrade to the ported PB-4000s.
Jim Kiler likes this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #31273 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to cappy24
some advice would be appreciated...i have a pair of snell a75 towers that have 10 inch sub woofers built in...they do a decent job with music....wondering if a sb3000 would be an improvement...my room is on the large side with cathedral wooden ceilings ...room is approx 20x28....
post #31274 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 10:05 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 3235
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy24 View Post
some advice would be appreciated...i have a pair of snell a75 towers that have 10 inch sub woofers built in...they do a decent job with music....wondering if a sb3000 would be an improvement...my room is on the large side with cathedral wooden ceilings ...room is approx 20x28....
Subs built into speakers are generally a compromise that can't easily (or ever) be overcome. Typically what you'll find is the best placement for the speakers is not the best placement for a sub so one of them is often not ideally located. In this case it sounds like the sub portion is suffering. Of course, it could also be your room is simply too big for them...

If your ceiling height was the standard 8' you would be looking at approximately 4500 ft^3, too large for a single SB-3000 let alone integrated 10" subs. Since there are cathedral ceiling it's likely to be far more space than that so you should be looking more along the lines of the SB16 Ultra instead. That's even more true for someone with Snell speakers and is looking for music performance. I suspect even the SB16 will struggle with a room that size, but it will fare much better than the SB-3000.
darthray, mthomas47 and cappy24 like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #31275 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5371 Post(s)
Liked: 10027
Quote:

Hi,

I believe that an SB3000, or even better a PB3000, would be a big improvement in your very large room. According to what I read before responding to your question, the Snell Acoustics Type A towers were generally intended to be used with an 18" Snell subwoofer. In the Stereophile review I am linking, the Snell towers were tested with a pair of 18" Snell reflex (ported) subwoofers.

The Type A towers were apparently offered in several versions over the years. The speakers tested in this review had two 6.5" woofers per speaker, rather than a single 10" woofer, but the performance would be very similar. Here is a quote from the measurements page of that review which refers to the towers' bass performance:

"The peak at 46Hz indicates the sealed-box's tuning; this is high for the size of the enclosure, but remember that the tower is intended to be used with a matching subwoofer."

In my opinion, you are missing a good deal of lower bass, even for normal acoustic music, much less for any kind of bass-enhanced music. I would try at least a PB3000, if I were you, as it can be operated in either ported or sealed mode. All of the larger ported SVS models can be operated as either ported or sealed subs. A PB4000 or a PB16 would also be a good option to consider and the 45-day free-trial period will be helpful to you.

Trying one of the ported models will give you a good idea of the sonic and output differences between sealed and ported subs. (A ported subwoofer will have much more SPL output below 35Hz.) I wouldn't be surprised if, in a room that large, you wanted two of whatever subs you choose. And, of course, there will be advantages in frequency response with multiple subs. Here is a link to the review:

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...ker/index.html

Regards,
Mike
darthray, cappy24 and Matt2026 like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 06-24-2019 at 10:26 AM.
post #31276 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I believe that an SB3000, or even better a PB3000, would be a big improvement in your very large room. According to what I read before responding to your question, the Snell Acoustics Type A towers were generally intended to be used with an 18" Snell subwoofer. In the Stereophile review I am linking, the Snell towers were tested with a pair of 18" Snell reflex (ported) subwoofers.

The Type A towers were apparently offered in several versions over the years. The speakers tested in this review had two 6.5" woofers per speaker, rather than a single 10" woofer, but the performance would be very similar. Here is a quote from the measurements page of that review which refers to the towers' bass performance:

"The peak at 46Hz indicates the sealed-box's tuning; this is high for the size of the enclosure, but remember that the tower is intended to be used with a matching subwoofer."

In my opinion, you are missing a good deal of lower bass, even for normal acoustic music, much less for any kind of bass-enhanced music. I would try at least a PB3000, if I were you, as it can be operated in either ported or sealed mode. All of the larger ported SVS models can be operated as either ported or sealed subs. A PB4000 or a PB16 would also be a good option to consider and the 45-day free-trial period will be helpful to you.

Trying one of the ported models will give you a good idea of the sonic and output differences between sealed and ported subs. (A ported subwoofer will have much more SPL output below 35Hz.) I wouldn't be surprised if, in a room that large, you wanted two of whatever subs you choose. And, of course, there will be advantages in frequency response with multiple subs. Here is a link to the review:

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...ker/index.html

Regards,
Mike
thank you for that link....the ONLY reason i chose the sb3000 over the pb3000 is the size and weight difference...the sb3000 would allow me to move it around more easily and not hopefully NOT annoy the wife.. then down the road get a second one....but if there is a big difference between the two , then i would go for the pb3000....i am also thinking that the built in woofers in the snells should then be disengaged?...
mthomas47 likes this.
post #31277 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
thank you for that link....the ONLY reason i chose the sb3000 over the pb3000 is the size and weight difference...the sb3000 would allow me to move it around more easily and not hopefully NOT annoy the wife.. then down the road get a second one....but if there is a big difference between the two , then i would go for the pb3000....i am also thinking that the built in woofers in the snells should then be disengaged?...

You are very welcome! There will be a big difference in the lower frequencies. And, those are the frequencies that will be lacking in a large room, because you won't be getting much room gain to help you. I would not get less than a PB3000, if I were you. You can use furniture sliders (available at Lowe's or Home Depot) to help you move the subwoofer around more easily.

I don't think you should disengage the built-in woofers, but you just want them operating as normal speaker woofers. Self-powered or not, that is really what they are after all. You will still want them handling frequencies down to about 80 or 100Hz, and then you will want to crossover to your subs via your AVR. The subs will use the subwoofer output(s) on the AVR. If you need more specific advice on this aspect of things, you could talk directly with someone at SVS.

Regards,
Mike
darthray likes this.

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #31278 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
You are very welcome! There will be a big difference in the lower frequencies. And, those are the frequencies that will be lacking in a large room, because you won't be getting much room gain to help you. I would not get less than a PB3000, if I were you. You can use furniture sliders (available at Lowe's or Home Depot) to help you move the subwoofer around more easily.

I don't think you should disengage the built-in woofers, but you just want them operating as normal speaker woofers. Self-powered or not, that is really what they are after all. You will still want them handling frequencies down to about 80 or 100Hz, and then you will want to crossover to your subs via your AVR. The subs will use the subwoofer output(s) on the AVR. If you need more specific advice on this aspect of things, you could talk directly with someone at SVS.

Regards,
Mike
i appreciate your help...pb3000 it is....i am sure that i will hear a significant improvement over my current setup...as i said before ...for music the snell woofers work decent, but lacking in movies...thanks again...if budget (and wife), weren't an issue i would go with the sb16 ultra..
darthray and mthomas47 like this.
post #31279 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Contact SVS Customer Service at [email protected]. We'll need a copy of your purchase receipt and the SN from the amp label - and then we'll get you set-up with a replacement amplifier. Then you will be able to sell a fully functioning unit if you want to upgrade to the ported PB-4000s.
Thank you, Ed!
darthray likes this.
post #31280 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For the size difference;
Only 2" wider and 5.4" deeper. The height and deepness, are very easy to manage. And would disappear very fast, to get use to

Quote:
i appreciate your help...pb3000 it is....i am sure that i will hear a significant improvement over my current setup...as i said before ...for music the snell woofers work decent, but lacking in movies...thanks again...if budget (and wife), weren't an issue i would go with the sb16 ultra..
A wise decision, so is getting a second one down the road. Due to the size of your room. For the 16 SB/PB Ultra models, with your big area. I would also go with the port version, a few inches bigger. Are very easy to get use to.

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 06-24-2019 at 05:54 PM.
post #31281 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
For the size difference;
Only 2" wider and 5.4" deeper. The height and deepness, are very easy to manage. And would disappear very fast, to get use to

A wise decision, so is getting a second one down the road. Due to the size of your room. For the 16 SB/PB Ultra models, with your big area. I would also go with the port version, a few inches bigger. Are very easy to get use to.

Darth
yes a second one is def down the road....not sure how to connect two more subs if i have the snells connected to sub 1 and sub 2 via rca ...
post #31282 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yes a second one is def down the road....not sure how to connect two more subs if i have the snells connected to sub 1 and sub 2 via rca ...

Can you provide a picture of the back of your speakers. A picture of your choice of connection, would speak a thousand words.
Normally, speakers with built in subs. Have a by-pass, to be connected with speaker wire only.
This would leave your AVR Subs output, available for your new subs. Also knowing what AVR you use, would help greatly.

Darth
post #31283 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Can you provide a picture of the back of your speakers. A picture of your choice of connection, would speak a thousand words.
Normally, speakers with built in subs. Have a by-pass, to be connected with speaker wire only.
This would leave your AVR Subs output, available for your new subs. Also knowing what AVR you use, would help greatly.

Darth
i will have to take a pic in the morning...room is too dark now....speakers have a LFE input(rca)...that i connected to sub 1 and sub 2....i have the marantz av8805....i just got it about a week ago
post #31284 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i will have to take a pic in the morning...room is too dark now....speakers have a LFE input(rca)...that i connected to sub 1 and sub 2....i have the marantz av8805....i just got it about a week ago
Congratulation for such a nice AVP. I use to have a AV8801, and loved-it
This help a lot, since it tell me you have Audyssey XT32 for calibration!!!

Looking forward to this picture!
Hopefully your speakers can be connected, with speakers wire only. If so, your are Golden.
Since during the calibration, having a real two subs output AVP (some AVR/AVP have an internal y-splitter, and the phase/volume. Have to be done manually for each subs).
Not the case with XT32. On the first sweep, your AV8805 will figure out. Each sub volume and phase correction. Then do a full calibration, as one sub since there is only a .1 in any recording (music and movies). I use to say, I have a 7.2.4 system. When in reality, I got 7.1.4 (two subs) system. Like many, saying 7.2.4 was a bragging right. To say you got two sub, but is wrong due to fact. There is only one Bass channel.

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 06-25-2019 at 07:29 PM.
post #31285 of 31356 Old 06-24-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Feel free to fault my decision process:

I've been researching which sealed subs I wanted for LR 2-channel system.

Initially was going to DIY, as I've done that for various audio projects & subs are the easiest, most widely published plans.

Then decided that Rythmik was it.
They absolutely favor the 15" driver size.
I've questioned some their power choices but a ton of people swear by them.
The servo-control method is certainly valid.

All the while I'm checking SVS.
At 1st a pair of SB-4000s was more than I wanted to spend.
The SB-3000s seemed the perfect compromise in performance\price.
FWIW, the SVS matching tool said I needed the 16 Ultra.
I'm positive that would be killer but too big & $$$ for a pair.

After doing spec searches on the 3 drivers with Rythmik having the least specific,
all things considered, I'm going with a pair of SB-4000s.
I know that it is overkill, but I think they're the best price\performance in the line.
The driver is insane.
Honestly, I think the reason why Rythmik is the last that I know of, servo-sub builders is that the materials, tolerances & design parms plus EQ\RC software make that method moot.
No knock at all on Rythmik or other brands, there are a literal ton of awesome subwoofer designers & builders.
That's what makes me take 14 months online of research & live experience to feel comfortable in my choice.
Right wrong or indifferent.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #31286 of 31356 Old 06-25-2019, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Feel free to fault my decision process:

I've been researching which sealed subs I wanted for LR 2-channel system.

Initially was going to DIY, as I've done that for various audio projects & subs are the easiest, most widely published plans.

Then decided that Rythmik was it.
They absolutely favor the 15" driver size.
I've questioned some their power choices but a ton of people swear by them.
The servo-control method is certainly valid.

All the while I'm checking SVS.
At 1st a pair of SB-4000s was more than I wanted to spend.
The SB-3000s seemed the perfect compromise in performance\price.
FWIW, the SVS matching tool said I needed the 16 Ultra.
I'm positive that would be killer but too big & $$$ for a pair.

After doing spec searches on the 3 drivers with Rythmik having the least specific,
all things considered, I'm going with a pair of SB-4000s.
I know that it is overkill, but I think they're the best price\performance in the line.
The driver is insane.
Honestly, I think the reason why Rythmik is the last that I know of, servo-sub builders is that the materials, tolerances & design parms plus EQ\RC software make that method moot.
No knock at all on Rythmik or other brands, there are a literal ton of awesome subwoofer designers & builders.
That's what makes me take 14 months online of research & live experience to feel comfortable in my choice.
Right wrong or indifferent.
I've had Rythmik for 8 years and an SVS for going on 9 months, I prefer the SVS and I listen to a lot of music. Your going to be fine, best of luck with your new subs.
post #31287 of 31356 Old 06-25-2019, 07:03 AM

[QUOTE=darthray;58223278]Congratulation for such a nice AVP. I use to have a AV8801, and loved-it
This help a lot, since it tell me you have Audyssey XT32 for calibration!!!

Looking forward to this picture!
Hopefully your speakers can be connected, with speakers wire only. If so, your are Golden.
Since during the calibration, having a real two subs output AVP (some AVR/AVP have an internal y-splitter, and the phase/volume. Have to be done manually for each subs).
Not the case with XT32. On the first sweep, your AV8805 will figure out. Each sub volume and phase correction. Then do a full calibration, as one sub since there is only a .1 in any recording (music and movies). I use to say, I have a 7.2.4 system. When in reality, I got 7.1.4 (two subs) system. Like many, saying 7.2.4 was a bragging right. To say you got two sub, but is wrong due to fact. There is only Bass channel.

sent you a pm....didn't want to bore the forum with a pic of the back of my speakers...thanks
post #31288 of 31356 Old 06-27-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Hi Ed,

I asked this question earlier but did not get a response from you or someone else from SVS.

I am am currently using one SVS NSD SB 12 and wondering if I should upgrade to another SB 1000 or SV2000. I don't listen loud and so volume is not a problem for me.

I have been wondering about this. NSD is frequently in sale at $399.

What is missing in SB 12 NSD that makes is so much less expensive than SB1000 or SB2000?

Is it the DSP quality or the power rating or the finish or is it something else?

What do we lose in sound quality in 12 NSD compared to these other more expensing SVS subs?

Should I upgrade to another SVS sub?
post #31289 of 31356 Old 06-28-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Hi Ed,

I asked this question earlier but did not get a response from you or someone else from SVS.

I am am currently using one SVS NSD SB 12 and wondering if I should upgrade to another SB 1000 or SV2000. I don't listen loud and so volume is not a problem for me.

What is missing in SB 12 NSD that makes is so much less expensive than SB1000 or SB2000?

Is it the DSP quality or the power rating or the finish or is it something else?

What do we lose in sound quality in 12 NSD compared to these other more expensing SVS subs?

The SB12-NSD is the predecessor to the SB-2000. This model (like its ported brethren the PB12-NSD) has been discontinued. With that said, the NSDs were so popular, for the last few years we have brought them back for a Black Friday promotional special with rock-bottom pricing - a real steal for the asking price. Like many Black Friday promotions across the entire retail consumer landscape, the NSD promotions are a fun way to market our brand and introduce SVS to new audiences.

Compared to the SB12-NSD, the SB-2000 has an upgraded driver, a more powerful amp and a shallower roll-off slope with deeper extension. On average, the SB-2000 has about 3-3.5 dB (about 50%) higher dynamic output - so it's definitely a nice bump in performance.

They SB12-NSD and SB-2000 do have considerably different phase responses - so they will not perfectly match/blend at all frequencies across the passband. So if you already have an SB12-NSD and are looking for more performance/headroom, I recommend that you purchase another SB12-NSD for a perfect match.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #31290 of 31356 Old 06-28-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Hi Ed,

Hi,

Ed was the right person to answer the question about the performance difference between the SB12-NSD and the SB2000. But, I thought it might be worth adding something to the discussion. I bolded a key sentence in your post for emphasis. If you only listen at very conservative volume levels, and if you only listen to music played by acoustic instruments, you might not notice much difference from a more powerful subwoofer, or from a pair of subwoofers.

As you know, multiple subwoofers not only add more SPL, they can also help to smooth the overall frequency response. Most people notice audibly better bass SQ when they go from single to dual subs, but placement is still important, and so is matching the subs as closely as possible.

If your sound system is used for other things than just listening to music played by acoustic instruments (which typically don't go very low in frequency) or if you just find yourself wanting more bass, then an upgrade could be helpful irrespective of your listening levels. That is because we don't hear low-frequencies as well as we hear those in our normal hearing range, so we may want to increase our bass volumes even when we are listening at very moderate volume levels.

In fact, we may need to increase our bass volumes even more than we might if we weren't listening at very moderate volume levels, since bass frequencies fall-out of our hearing range proportionately faster as overall volume levels drop. That is demonstrated by the Equal Loudness Contours. I know that you already know most, or all, of this. But, it is worth re-emphasizing because adding another sealed sub, to match the one you have, or moving-up to a better model, will give you more low-frequency extension. And, that will enable you to add more bass weight to your music if you want to (especially for electronic music) or to add more low-bass special effects for movies.

I think it is important to distinguish between listening at moderate volume levels, and having sufficient bass, because I think that they are entirely different things due to the way our hearing works. Adding a second SB12-NSD would give you slightly more low-frequency extension, if you increased the volume of your subwoofers. And, moving to a single subwoofer with a shallower roll-off, such as the SB2000, or even better, the SB3000, would do the same thing.

Just something to think about.

Regards,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page