Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 1061 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44938Likes

post #31801 of 31933 Old 11-21-2019, 02:27 AM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post
Greetings all.... Just to update... Have had 2 PB-4000's in my 4500CF open living room for almost a year. I love my subs. They go well with my JBL Studio L series 9 speaker set up. Anyways, my AVR is a Denon 7200 WA and I ran Audyssey and it set the subs trims to -14, which for the most part is fine. I usually bump them up and run hot when listening to music or when I want to show off to friends

I have been thinking about trying the variable port tuning options and possibly changing to extended mode. I've read as much as I could from SVS's website and this forum but there isn't that much I can find, and perhaps it is just me not looking hard enough. My questions is that my room is big, but not huge. It opens up to the kitchen though and I have travertine tile floors. I wonder if running in extended mode will benefit my setup?

I read that extended mode gives you that tactile base thump at the lower end, even though you lose a few DB's overall. I guess I will just plug the middle port on each PB4000 and try it out for myself. I just wanted some feedback from you guys and if any of you had good outcomes changing the port tuning on your sub/subs? Thanks!
I run my dual PB4Ks in Extended Mode in a room that's a little smaller than yours and I can't go back to the Normal Mode. It really makes a difference on the low end and expands the soundstage that much more. I also have the isolation feet on all four of my subs as well. They hit hard and rumble crazy deep. Earthquake deep. I have wooden floors so I'm sure you can only benefit from Extended Mode with travertine floors. Try it out with your favorite material. Worst case, you can always go back to normal.
mthomas47 likes this.

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | 4K: Oppo UDP-203 | Media: Ryzen 1800X 32GB DDR4 HCPC, Synology DS3615xs 172TB | Gaming: PS4 Pro/PSVR 10TB, PS3 | Speakers: Polk LSiM: 1x706c, 2x707, 4x900LS, 4x702F/X | Subs: 2xSVS PB4000, 2xSVS PC12+, 5xButtkicker BK-LFE | Vid: Sony VPL-VW885ES | Amp: Emotiva XPA7 Gen 3, Parasound 2125, 2xQSC GX3 | Power: 3xFurman Elite 20 PFi | UPS: APC SMT3000, 2xSMT2200 | Screen/Misc: 138" 2.35:1 Stewart CIMA Neve, Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31802 of 31933 Old 11-21-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
Thanks Ed for your response. I have switched them both to Normal. Is there anything I need to do to the system now after making the switch? Recalibration or anything? I did notice however that the bass coming from those two subs now sounds cleaner and more detailed using Normal.
Switching from Hi-Level to Normal will increase the subwoofer output by 6 dB (which is literally a doubling of the sound pressure level). So you would need to lower the sub channel level by 6 dB in the AV processor if you want to maintain the same calibration level.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #31803 of 31933 Old 11-21-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles dodgen View Post
Hello, I currently have a SB-2000 and an SB12-NSD in my 1485 cubic feet room (11x15x9). I have the SB-2000 between my center and front right and the SB12 in the back right corner. This gives me a fairly good frequency response between 25Hz and 120Hz before I run Audyssey and just about flat after. One small issue is a dip at 25Hz in the combined subs' response. When testing the two subs separately in the same location, I get nearly identical frequency response measurements (REW) but a phase response difference, as you mentioned. I'm wondering if it's this phase difference causing the dip at 25Hz and if two SB2000's (or two SB12's) might solve the issue. I attached some screenshots from REW, one sweep of each sub and two sweeps with both subs, one with Audyssey, one without. Thanks!
If you want to see how the two subs interact with each other while minimizing other room acoustic influences, then place them side-by-side and then place the mic on the ground about 2 feet in front of each sub and then sweep each sub individually (level matched of course) and then sweep both subs together (place the mic between them).

Currently because the subs are not co-located and because you are measuring at the MLP - it's hard to isolate phase differences vs. standing wave modal issues.
mthomas47 and charles dodgen like this.

Ed Mullen
SVS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31804 of 31933 Old 11-21-2019, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Reach out to SVS Customer Service by clicking the Support widget on any page of the website. Get us all of your contact information and we'll cover that amp. If you're inside the contiguous USA it won't cost you anything. If you're outside of the USA all we ask is that you cover shipping. Reference this AVS thread and my name and we'll take it from there. Thx.

Ok, this is fricking cool. I've been planning on upgrading from my tiny klipsch sub to a better subwoofer(s). I've been debating between SVS, HSU, Monoprice, etc, but this kind of customer service sold me on SVS. Hopefully they'll have some good deals on Black Friday.
jamiebosco and joxr like this.
post #31805 of 31933 Old 11-21-2019, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How long do you guys think the pb16ultra will be around before it gets replaced by a pb5000 /6000 ? It came out 3 years ago ?

5.2.4 | Marantz SR7012 | SVS Ultra Towers | SVS Ultra Bookshelves | SVS Ultra Center | 4 x Monoprice 8" alpha for atmos | LG OLED 65" C8 | AppleTV 4K | Nvidia Shield
post #31806 of 31933 Old 11-21-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I run my dual PB4Ks in Extended Mode in a room that's a little smaller than yours and I can't go back to the Normal Mode. It really makes a difference on the low end and expands the soundstage that much more. I also have the isolation feet on all four of my subs as well. They hit hard and rumble crazy deep. Earthquake deep. I have wooden floors so I'm sure you can only benefit from Extended Mode with travertine floors. Try it out with your favorite material. Worst case, you can always go back to normal.
Thanks for the reply bud.... Reading your post got me excited. Can't wait to try extended mode on my setup and hopefully I can produce the same results u got! Do u feel that there is a definite drop in Db's switching to extended mode vs standard though? Are there any cons to running extended mode that u have run into?
post #31807 of 31933 Old 11-21-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6601 Post(s)
Liked: 6013
Quote:
Yes, XT32. After which, I just played with the avr's (Denon 3300) subs(2) distances to get the smoothest crossover between my fronts and center. For some reason, at the time I decided to just work with the distances/delay and left the subs' phase alone for the most part. So, I got some improvement just now from your suggestion! I reversed the phase (180 degrees) of the back sub (SB12). That gave me a peak where the dip was at 24Hz, but it cratered the response right below my 80Hz crossover with my center speaker (the purple trace). I then tried 90 degrees on the SB12. That kept my crossover pretty much the same but reduced the 22Hz dip by about 9dB(green trace)! I said the dip was 25Hz before, but it's actually around 22Hz. The response stays flat to around 25Hz, so I really don't have too much to complain about. Just trying to justify getting another SB2000 to replace the SB12 so I can use it with my nearfield desktop setup.

Many thanks!
I'm glad you are seeing improvements! The important question is; does the new response actually sound better than the old response?

A couple of comments/questions;

When you say you "played with" the sub distances, were you performing the Sub Distance Tweak? If so, did you make sure to adjust each sub distance by the same amount? The sub distances, once set by Audyssey, need to be kept the same relative to each other.

Did you try the SDT with the "SB12 flip" response? There's a good chance that you could keep that higher output at 25hz and flatten out the 55-75hz area. Worth a shot!

Your current response is very flat (+/-3dB from 23hz-85hz). However, us humans prefer a rising response in the bass since our ears are less sensitive the lower the frequency goes. A razor flat response doesn't usually sound very good to us. Dynamic EQ (if you like using it) will mostly take care of that, but you still may want to bump up your final sub trims 3-6dB. If you don't use DEQ, you would want to bump up the trims a few dB more than that.

No need to take a screenshot with REW, just use the "Capture" button (camera icon) in the upper left corner of the screen.

REW subwoofer graphs should be posted with 5dB increments on the left hand side. This makes it easier to see problem areas (not that you really have any) and easier to compare to others' graphs.

You seem to be measuring at a fairly low SPL (~65-70dB). Is there a reason for that (e.g. wife/kids sleeping )? Typically, it is recommended to measure at least +30dB over the noise floor of the room (which is typically in the 45dB-55dB range).
charles dodgen likes this.
post #31808 of 31933 Old 11-21-2019, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Hi all! Currently I have a PB-1000 and I love it. I've gotten OK from the Design Committee at the home to upgrade. My media room is a bit of an odd shape but in general is around 13' by 19' feet. Would you recommend I upgrade to one PB-2000 or go for another PB-1000 and run dual subs?

Thanks in advance!

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #31809 of 31933 Old 11-21-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6601 Post(s)
Liked: 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
Hi all! Currently I have a PB-1000 and I love it. I've gotten OK from the Design Committee at the home to upgrade. My media room is a bit of an odd shape but in general is around 13' by 19' feet. Would you recommend I upgrade to one PB-2000 or go for another PB-1000 and run dual subs?

Thanks in advance!
Completely depends on what your goal is.

If you are looking for a better frequency response across a wider area, dual (well placed) subwoofers...if you are looking for deeper extension, PB-2000.
post #31810 of 31933 Old 11-21-2019, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I'm glad you are seeing improvements! The important question is; does the new response actually sound better than the old response?
Thanks, but it looks like I spoke too soon. For some reason, the 22Hz dip was more extreme than usual in the baseline sweep I did just before adjusting the phase on the SB12. Looking back at previous measurements and with a subsequent sweep (see the attached capture) it looks like the degree of cancellation is about the same as with the 90 degree phase adjustment on the SB12. The dip shifted down very slightly and there is a bit more output right above the dip at 25Hz, but there is a drop in overall output starting at about 50Hz. From the nearfield measurements I made directly comparing the phase response and combined frequency response of the SB2000 and SB12 side-by-side as Ed Mullen suggested, it looks like it might be an inherent phase response difference between the two subs causing the issue.

Quote:
A couple of comments/questions;

When you say you "played with" the sub distances, were you performing the Sub Distance Tweak? If so, did you make sure to adjust each sub distance by the same amount? The sub distances, once set by Audyssey, need to be kept the same relative to each other.
Yes, Sub Distance Tweak. It looks like I kept the adjustments the same. It's been a while since the last calibration. I use the multeq app. I did wonder about that, though, whether you should keep the distance adjustments the same or keep the relation between the two distances the same.

Quote:
Did you try the SDT with the "SB12 flip" response? There's a good chance that you could keep that higher output at 25hz and flatten out the 55-75hz area. Worth a shot!
No, I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Your current response is very flat (+/-3dB from 23hz-85hz). However, us humans prefer a rising response in the bass since our ears are less sensitive the lower the frequency goes. A razor flat response doesn't usually sound very good to us. Dynamic EQ (if you like using it) will mostly take care of that, but you still may want to bump up your final sub trims 3-6dB. If you don't use DEQ, you would want to bump up the trims a few dB more than that. No need to take a screenshot with REW, just use the "Capture" button (camera icon) in the upper left corner of the screen.
Yeah, I use Dynamic EQ, usually 10dB offset, I like to have the flat option when Dyn EQ isn''t engaged. Actually I do get an elevated bass response when doing a sweep of both fronts together crossing over to the subs.

Quote:
REW subwoofer graphs should be posted with 5dB increments on the left hand side. This makes it easier to see problem areas (not that you really have any) and easier to compare to others' graphs.
Thanks, yes, I should have posted using 5dB increments. Thanks also for mentioning the "capture" function in REW. I knew there was a better way than how I was doing it.

Quote:
You seem to be measuring at a fairly low SPL (~65-70dB). Is there a reason for that (e.g. wife/kids sleeping )? Typically, it is recommended to measure at least +30dB over the noise floor of the room (which is typically in the 45dB-55dB range).
I do have to be careful, but those last sweeps were of the center channel crossed over to the subs. Before, I was using the sub output (4), which is boosted 10dB in the AVR, and I just didn't readjust the levels.

Thanks for the help! It's much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phase compare.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	2643894  
Alan P likes this.

Last edited by charles dodgen; 11-21-2019 at 07:03 PM.
post #31811 of 31933 Old 11-21-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
If you want to see how the two subs interact with each other while minimizing other room acoustic influences, then place them side-by-side and then place the mic on the ground about 2 feet in front of each sub and then sweep each sub individually (level matched of course) and then sweep both subs together (place the mic between them).

Currently because the subs are not co-located and because you are measuring at the MLP - it's hard to isolate phase differences vs. standing wave modal issues.

Thanks, Ed
Here are 3 REW sweeps; 1. SB2000 2. SB12 3. combined. The measurements were done as you suggested, with the subs side by side and the mic 2ft. away on the floor. The combined response was measured with the avr's distance settings matched. Subs were level matched, set to zero phase.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SB2000 phase.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	2643952   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB12 phase.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	2643954   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB2000 SB12.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	2643956  
post #31812 of 31933 Old 11-22-2019, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post

Thanks in advance!
I'm not a fortune teller, but with the space you're working with, I see Dual Extended Mode SVS PB-4000 subs in your future. You know you're going to get there eventually, so why wait and miss out on all that LFE? Remember, it's always better to ask for forgiveness than permission...(YMMV)

GO BIG OR GO HOME
JudgeSmails likes this.

Media Room: Sony VPL-VW675ES, Anthem MRX-1120, Oppo UDP-205, Atlantic Technology THX Ultra2 371LR, 373C, 374LRSSR, 454LRBSR, Dual SVS PB-4000 Subs, (4) AT IC-6-OBA Atmos Ceiling Speakers, DirecTV c61K, Roku Ultra, Sony PS4, Sonos Connect | Living Room: LG OLED65C8PUA, Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV c61K, Sonos Playbar & Wireless Sub, Sonos PLAY:1 Surrounds, Sonos Connect | Patio: Onkyo TX-DS989v2, PSB CS1000 Outdoor Speakers, Sonos Connect | Control4 Home Automation
post #31813 of 31933 Old 11-22-2019, 01:10 AM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Quote:
Switching from Hi-Level to Normal will increase the subwoofer output by 6 dB (which is literally a doubling of the sound pressure level). So you would need to lower the sub channel level by 6 dB in the AV processor if you want to maintain the same calibration level.
Understood. Thanks for the info.

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | 4K: Oppo UDP-203 | Media: Ryzen 1800X 32GB DDR4 HCPC, Synology DS3615xs 172TB | Gaming: PS4 Pro/PSVR 10TB, PS3 | Speakers: Polk LSiM: 1x706c, 2x707, 4x900LS, 4x702F/X | Subs: 2xSVS PB4000, 2xSVS PC12+, 5xButtkicker BK-LFE | Vid: Sony VPL-VW885ES | Amp: Emotiva XPA7 Gen 3, Parasound 2125, 2xQSC GX3 | Power: 3xFurman Elite 20 PFi | UPS: APC SMT3000, 2xSMT2200 | Screen/Misc: 138" 2.35:1 Stewart CIMA Neve, Harmony Elite
post #31814 of 31933 Old 11-22-2019, 01:20 AM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Quote:
Thanks for the reply bud.... Reading your post got me excited. Can't wait to try extended mode on my setup and hopefully I can produce the same results u got! Do u feel that there is a definite drop in Db's switching to extended mode vs standard though? Are there any cons to running extended mode that u have run into?
To be honest, I can't remember any. I know there should be something missing based on what's on paper, but it must be minimal because I don't miss it. It's all upside as far as I'm concerned. But hey, you can always crank the subs and/or AVR up a few notches to get where you're trying to be .

post #31815 of 31933 Old 11-22-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, Ed
Here are 3 REW sweeps; 1. SB2000 2. SB12 3. combined. The measurements were done as you suggested, with the subs side by side and the mic 2ft. away on the floor. The combined response was measured with the avr's distance settings matched. Subs were level matched, set to zero phase.
As anticipated, there is phase cancellation between the two subs over two bandwidths. It's not terrible - but it's not as optimal/ideal as two SB12-NSDs or two SB-2000s, which would show no cancellation at all and a uniform 6 dB increase across the entire bandwidth.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #31816 of 31933 Old 11-22-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker84 View Post
Hello SVS enthusiasts. I just picked up a returned SB-2000 in like-new condition for a fantastic price at a local store, and I plan on replacing the entry level Polk PSW125 we've had in our small living room with this sub. Seeing as this sale was for the item and power cord only, no documentation, I was curious what most of you used as a starting point for the sub volume/gain knob? I know that the entry level Polk's (which I've owned several of in the past) would need to be brought up to about 3/4 of full volume just to get anything at all out of them. In my theater room I run my HSU VTF-15H MK2 around the 9 o'clock level, or about 1/3 of the way to full. Guessing the SB-2000 would likely lie right in between these somewhere... maybe halfway?
What you are describing is the gain sensitivity of the amplifier - all amp platforms are different in this regard.

If you are connecting the SB-2000 to an AVR in a moderate size room - I would start at 1-2 o'clock and then run auto-set-up and see where the AVR trims out the sub channel for a level match with the speaker channels.

If the sub channel level comes back bottomed out at the minimum value - then reduce the gain by 1 hour. If it comes back somewhere in the middle of the negative region - you're good.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #31817 of 31933 Old 11-22-2019, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Greetings all.... Just to update... Have had 2 PB-4000's in my 4500CF open living room for almost a year. I love my subs. They go well with my JBL Studio L series 9 speaker set up. Anyways, my AVR is a Denon 7200 WA and I ran Audyssey and it set the subs trims to -14, which for the most part is fine. I usually bump them up and run hot when listening to music or when I want to show off to friends

I have been thinking about trying the variable port tuning options and possibly changing to extended mode. I've read as much as I could from SVS's website and this forum but there isn't that much I can find, and perhaps it is just me not looking hard enough. My questions is that my room is big, but not huge. It opens up to the kitchen though and I have travertine tile floors. I wonder if running in extended mode will benefit my setup?

I read that extended mode gives you that tactile base thump at the lower end, even though you lose a few DB's overall. I guess I will just plug the middle port on each PB4000 and try it out for myself. I just wanted some feedback from you guys and if any of you had good outcomes changing the port tuning on your sub/subs? Thanks!
Quote:
I also run my dual PB4Ks in Extended Mode and will never go back. My 14 yo granddaughter that lives with us came in with 5 of her friends and asked if I would play a little demo for them as her one friend showed off his father's speakers. They all sat down and I played a Dub drop and we watched the reactions of the kids which was priceless. They all jumped off their seats with astonished looks and laughed for the next 10 minutes. I did not even have it up that high. Too funny!!
dmillionz likes this.
post #31818 of 31933 Old 11-22-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
As anticipated, there is phase cancellation between the two subs over two bandwidths. It's not terrible - but it's not as optimal/ideal as two SB12-NSDs or two SB-2000s, which would show no cancellation at all and a uniform 6 dB increase across the entire bandwidth.
Thanks for the reply, Ed
Obviously, there's only one logical thing to do in this case...

The different phase response of the two subs is interesting.
post #31819 of 31933 Old 11-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmiller View Post
I also run my dual PB4Ks in Extended Mode and will never go back. My 14 yo granddaughter that lives with us came in with 5 of her friends and asked if I would play a little demo for them as her one friend showed off his father's speakers. They all sat down and I played a Dub drop and we watched the reactions of the kids which was priceless. They all jumped off their seats with astonished looks and laughed for the next 10 minutes. I did not even have it up that high. Too funny!!
Great stuff. What dub track did you play?

post #31820 of 31933 Old 11-23-2019, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Great stuff. What dub track did you play?
Heartbreak by M'black it's a killer drop!!

P.S. I also have the same Denon as you!
dmillionz likes this.

Last edited by wfmiller; 11-23-2019 at 04:38 AM.
post #31821 of 31933 Old 11-23-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
WFmiller-Thanks for the feedback. Still on my work stretch so I can't wait to try extended mode out on my next day off.... I'm hoping exteneded mode will get me feeling that bass in my chest and skin vibration that I like!! I have felt it a few times in standard mode, but I really got to crank the trim up to get that feeling... I'll post back my findings!

Quote:
Heartbreak by M'black it's a killer drop!!

P.S. I also have the same Denon as you!
I am the one with a Denon 7200....Unless DM has one too?? Great AVR btw!!!

EDIT-Just read Dmillionz Sig with gear specs... Denon as well.....Guess we some smart dudes!!!
wfmiller and dmillionz like this.
post #31822 of 31933 Old 11-24-2019, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Different dual subs

Has anyone used a pb 4000 and a pc 4000 in a dual set up ? Pb in the front pc in the back because of space restrictions in a 13 x 18 room that opens up in the side rear.

Last edited by tlb48; 11-24-2019 at 09:12 PM.
post #31823 of 31933 Old 11-25-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 356 Post(s)
Quoted: 5557 Post(s)
Liked: 10788
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post
Has anyone used a pb 4000 and a pc 4000 in a dual set up ? Pb in the front pc in the back because of space restrictions in a 13 x 18 room that opens up in the side rear.

Hi,

The PB4000 and the PC4000 are essentially identical subwoofers, in different shaped cabinets. A number of people, including myself, have mixed the cylinder models, with the box models of the same subs, with no adverse consequences whatsoever.

In my case, it was the earlier PB13 Ultra's mixed with the PC13 Ultra's. Those are the subwoofers that the 4000's replaced, but the principle is exactly the same: same sub, with virtually identical frequency responses, in a different cabinet shape. Other SVS owners have also mixed PB4000's with PC4000's. As expected, they work just fine together.

Regards,
Mike
darthray likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #31824 of 31933 Old 11-25-2019, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Going from 2 SB12-NSD diagonally opposed in the front left corner amd rear right corner, to 4 SB12-NSD (one in each corner). Aside from a smoother response across a broader seating area, what other gain should I anticipate?
post #31825 of 31933 Old 11-25-2019, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hello everyone,

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with this sub? I have 2 PB13 Ultras and one is making a clicking sound doesn't matter if the XLR plug is in or not. Is there a way to fix this? I attached videos for a sample of what I am hearing. Thanks

- Without content

- With content
post #31826 of 31933 Old 11-26-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminkid View Post
Hello everyone,

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with this sub? I have 2 PB13 Ultras and one is making a clicking sound doesn't matter if the XLR plug is in or not. Is there a way to fix this? I attached videos for a sample of what I am hearing. Thanks
Are you using a wireless setup? I was getting some sub woofer popping and feedback noise with my wireless receiver on one of my 4000's. Swapping channels and moving the receiver away from the electrical outlet solved the noise.

Have you tried a different RCA cable with better shielding? Move the cable away from the power cord. A lot of noise and feedback usually is from interference unless there is an issue with the amp
post #31827 of 31933 Old 11-26-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:

So I tried extended mode and for me with my setup and room size, extended mode didn't provide a better experience

Music and movie content although more tactile was a lot more boomy/muddy sounding down low, and in the upper range I lost a lot of the base that I like when playing at the volume I like to listen at.

Oh well, still sounds great either way, I am just a perfectionist and want the sound to be perfect, although perfection is hard to achieve when your dealing with room acoustics, gear, etc.....

Last edited by Islandborn; 11-26-2019 at 12:10 PM.
post #31828 of 31933 Old 11-26-2019, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
So I tried extended mode and for me with my setup and room size, extended mode didn't provide a better experience

Music and movie content although more tactile was a lot more boomy/muddy sounding down low, and in the upper range I lost a lot of the base that I like when playing at the volume I like to listen at.

Oh well, still sounds great either way, I am just a perfectionist and want the sound to be perfect, although perfection is hard to achieve when your dealing with room acoustics, gear, etc.....
I love the extended mode but you are right, if your room isn't setup to deal with those low frequencies it doesn't matter how good the sub is. Before I added bass traps boomy and muddy was what I got now it's just smooth and powerful just the way I like it.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180, Dual SVS PB-4000 subs, ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
post #31829 of 31933 Old 11-26-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
I love the extended mode but you are right, if your room isn't setup to deal with those low frequencies it doesn't matter how good the sub is. Before I added bass traps boomy and muddy was what I got now it's just smooth and powerful just the way I like it.
Thanks for the reply. Would love to add bass traps, but my theater is my main living room and even though my wife loves me and I can do whatever I want, I don't want to push it

Still the sound is great in standard mode, and the bass is crisp and tight and blends well with my JBL speakers running standard vs. Extended. It helps having 2 PB4k's as well in my large living room. One of these days, I will have that dedicated theater! Might need a new house though haha
microwiz likes this.
post #31830 of 31933 Old 11-26-2019, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Are you using a wireless setup? I was getting some sub woofer popping and feedback noise with my wireless receiver on one of my 4000's. Swapping channels and moving the receiver away from the electrical outlet solved the noise.

Have you tried a different RCA cable with better shielding? Move the cable away from the power cord. A lot of noise and feedback usually is from interference unless there is an issue with the amp
No. I'm not using a wireless setup. And the clicking sound is present whether there is a XLR/RCA cable connected or not. The woofer is producing no sound/bass when playing music, movie, etc., other than the clicking sound heard in the video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page