Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 1062 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44888Likes

post #31831 of 31869 Old 11-27-2019, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
I run my dual PB4Ks in Extended Mode in a room that's a little smaller than yours and I can't go back to the Normal Mode. It really makes a difference on the low end and expands the soundstage that much more. I also have the isolation feet on all four of my subs as well. They hit hard and rumble crazy deep. Earthquake deep. I have wooden floors so I'm sure you can only benefit from Extended Mode with travertine floors. Try it out with your favorite material. Worst case, you can always go back to normal.
I usually agree here and in clips like the force awakens interrogation scene the extra 16~17hz output is extremely noticeable. But man, I just watched Godzilla:KOTM in standard mode and it delivered a much better experience than extended.

I don't get that ear/body pressurization effect in the 16hz mode at all that I used to get with my PB13s in standard mode. I thought upgrading to the 16s would do the trick and let me have the best of both worlds, but even though the 16s in extended mode match the 13s SPL in standard they still don't give me that pressurization effect that the standard mode does.

5.2.2 | Samsung KS8500 | Sony UBP-X800 | Yamaha RX-A1060 | SVS Ultra Center | SVS Ultra Towers | SVS Ultra Bookshelves | SVS Prime Elevations | 2x PB16-Ultra | Emotiva XPA-3 Gen3 | Emotiva BasX A-300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31832 of 31869 Old 11-28-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminkid View Post
Hello everyone,

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with this sub? I have 2 PB13 Ultras and one is making a clicking sound doesn't matter if the XLR plug is in or not. Is there a way to fix this? I attached videos for a sample of what I am hearing. Thanks
Let's get that amp replaced - reach out to SVS CS by clicking the Support widget on the website and then you can call, chat or email us. Reference this AVS thread and my name and we'll take it from there. Thanks.
Craig Peer and Magellan55 like this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #31833 of 31869 Old 11-28-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldun View Post
Going from 2 SB12-NSD diagonally opposed in the front left corner amd rear right corner, to 4 SB12-NSD (one in each corner). Aside from a smoother response across a broader seating area, what other gain should I anticipate?
Depending on the modal standing wave pattern and how you phase the subs - expect 3-3.5 dB more output in the modal bandwidth of the room and closer to 6 dB in the pressure bandwidth of the room (i.e., where it no longer supports standing waves). REW is helpful for setting up dual/quad subs.

Ed Mullen
SVS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31834 of 31869 Old 11-28-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 356 Post(s)
Quoted: 5554 Post(s)
Liked: 10772
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmiller View Post
I also run my dual PB4Ks in Extended Mode and will never go back. My 14 yo granddaughter that lives with us came in with 5 of her friends and asked if I would play a little demo for them as her one friend showed off his father's speakers. They all sat down and I played a Dub drop and we watched the reactions of the kids which was priceless. They all jumped off their seats with astonished looks and laughed for the next 10 minutes. I did not even have it up that high. Too funny!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post
WFmiller-Thanks for the feedback. Still on my work stretch so I can't wait to try extended mode out on my next day off.... I'm hoping exteneded mode will get me feeling that bass in my chest and skin vibration that I like!! I have felt it a few times in standard mode, but I really got to crank the trim up to get that feeling... I'll post back my findings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post
So I tried extended mode and for me with my setup and room size, extended mode didn't provide a better experience

Music and movie content although more tactile was a lot more boomy/muddy sounding down low, and in the upper range I lost a lot of the base that I like when playing at the volume I like to listen at.

Oh well, still sounds great either way, I am just a perfectionist and want the sound to be perfect, although perfection is hard to achieve when your dealing with room acoustics, gear, etc.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
I love the extended mode but you are right, if your room isn't setup to deal with those low frequencies it doesn't matter how good the sub is. Before I added bass traps boomy and muddy was what I got now it's just smooth and powerful just the way I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEnigma View Post
I usually agree here and in clips like the force awakens interrogation scene the extra 16~17hz output is extremely noticeable. But man, I just watched Godzilla:KOTM in standard mode and it delivered a much better experience than extended.

I don't get that ear/body pressurization effect in the 16hz mode at all that I used to get with my PB13s in standard mode. I thought upgrading to the 16s would do the trick and let me have the best of both worlds, but even though the 16s in extended mode match the 13s SPL in standard they still don't give me that pressurization effect that the standard mode does.

This topic is interesting to me, so I thought I might offer some random thoughts on the issue of using Standard versus Extended mode on the PB/PC4000 or on the PB16. First, although most of us would like to find some sort of certainty with respect to issues like this, our rooms, listening material, and personal preferences vary so much that it's hard to do. Some of us are inevitably going to differ with respect to which setting works better for us.

The actual differences between the two port tunes are pretty subtle from about 20Hz to 120Hz. Looking at the PB16, from 20Hz to 40Hz, the Standard mode has approximately 1.5db more SPL of max output. Above 40Hz and up to 50Hz, there is a 1.0db difference. Above 50Hz and up to 100Hz, there is a 0.5db difference. And, the two modes are equal at 120Hz.

The real difference is in frequencies below 20Hz. Starting just below 20Hz, the Extended mode pulls strongly away from the Standard mode. At 16Hz, there is a whopping 9db difference between the two. At those frequencies, a single PB16 in Extended mode is equivalent to having 3 PB16's in Standard mode. You can compare SPL capabilities of the PB16 modes, in the following link. PB/PC13 and PB/PC4000 comparisons would be very similar.

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...r/measurements

To a large extent, the room dictates whether frequencies below 20Hz will sound boomy or not. Subwoofer placement and the type of room EQ employed can have a strong impact on that. Below 20Hz, it is very difficult to distinguish what we are hearing from the tactile sensations we are feeling, so how much low-bass TR (tactile response) we like can also be a factor in what we prefer.

The floor surface and overall room construction can also be very important in determining what we like. Very low-frequencies, in a strongly built brick house on a concrete floor, can sound/feel very different from the same frequencies in a frame house on a suspended wood floor. Room and floor resonances can strongly influence what we hear below 20Hz. Those factors can definitely influence our preferences for lower versus higher tuned subwoofers (or even for the preference for ported versus sealed subs).

There are a few other things that I thought might be helpful to mention as people discuss their preferences. First, room treatments are only effective down to about 60Hz or so. Even very large bass traps won't really make any difference at all below 20Hz. Room construction, room EQ, and our own preferences for low-bass TR--deep rumbling/thudding sensations are probably the most important factors there.

Second, chest punch is a mid-bass phenomenon. Most people feel those sensations from sudden percussive sounds in a frequency range from about 50Hz to 100Hz (where the Standard mode is about .5db stronger than the Extended mode). There is some evidence that most people feel the strongest chest punch sensations at about 63Hz, and SVS has built-in PEQ at that frequency in the models we are discussing.

Owners with PB/PC4000's or PB16's, who want more chest punch, can set their subs to Music mode. That mode applies about a 3db boost, centered on 63Hz. That is the only difference between the Movie mode and the Music mode. Since chest punch is primarily volume-related, that can work well in some cases. More SPL equals more chest punch. But, of course, there still has to be sudden percussive mid-bass content in the listening material.

Third, the skin crawling, ear tingling, compression feeling that has been mentioned is literally related to the air compressing inside a room. The more tightly sealed the room is, the more that sensation can be felt. That sensation is similar to what we feel when an airplane pressurizes, but on a more subtle scale. As with chest punch, and low-bass TR, some people like that sensation more than others. Simply increasing the overall volume of the subs, in a tightly sealed room, should increase that pressurization sensation, for people who want more of that.

Personally, I think it is very difficult to find a single setting which works well for everything (much less for everyone). Speaking only for myself, I don't like nearly as much low-bass for music as I do for movies. And even for movies, my subwoofer volume can sometimes vary quite a bit, depending on the movie, and on my moods. Some movies have more ULF content, recorded at louder volumes than others. And sometimes, I'm really looking for more excitement in the bass special effects, and sometimes I'm really not.

If, however, I wanted to combine low-bass excitement with more mid-bass chest punch and overall room compression, I would use a combination of Extended mode, Music mode, and subwoofer boost to get it. Since there is only about a .5db average difference in the mid-bass frequencies, between the two modes, most people could probably obtain as much additional mid-bass as they wanted with another decibel or two of sub boost, in Extended mode.

Unfortunately, there is one caveat to that. If you really don't find the low-bass TR appealing, then turning-up your subwoofer volume in Extended mode, to get more chest punch or more room compression, will also increase those low-bass frequencies that you might not have wanted. (And, it will also use up your total subwoofer headroom a little faster, if you are already near the edge.)

When you increase your subwoofer volume in either the Extended or Standard mode, the relative proportion of low-bass to mid-bass will, to some extent, remain the same unless you have a way to tailor your frequency response a bit. Deciding what proportion of low-bass to mid-bass we like, for a particular type of listening material, is part of the challenge in my opinion. Depending on room construction and personal preference, the Standard mode may still offer the best overall compromise in some cases.

[I decided to add an edit to clarify something about the preceding paragraph, but it may actually make things more confusing. We don't perceive loudness increases for all of the bass frequencies in exactly the same way. Due to an idiosyncrasy in the way our hearing works, an increase in SPL below 30Hz sounds louder to us than the same increase in SPL at 60-80Hz. There isn't a night-and-day difference, but turning-up the volume on a low-tuned sub would actually emphasize the very low-bass frequencies just a little more, to our perception of loudness, than it would the mid-bass frequencies.]

FWIW, the more expensive SVS models do offer us a good deal of user adjustability that we can experiment with in order to best serve our own preferences. I think it also helps if we are willing to tinker just a little bit, depending on the particular listening material, and depending on our own moods.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 11-28-2019 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Clarity
post #31835 of 31869 Old 11-28-2019, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Depending on the modal standing wave pattern and how you phase the subs - expect 3-3.5 dB more output in the modal bandwidth of the room and closer to 6 dB in the pressure bandwidth of the room (i.e., where it no longer supports standing waves). REW is helpful for setting up dual/quad subs.
Thanks for the feedback Ed, much appreciated. I plan on using REW along with a MiniDSP to set them up. Currently there is a great video and post (among the many others that are found on this forum), that walks us through the process of setting up multiple subs, with the end goal beeing a positive submission of all subs, and then eventually adding a 10dB house curve after EQ ing out the peaks with REW. This way the AVR receives one signal from the subs as if they are 1 giant virtual sub in the room. I'm hoping this will achieve better response across all seats and more output as you stated. Feel free to share any of your own tips on how to best use REW and the MiniDSP to achieve this. 👍🏾
post #31836 of 31869 Old 11-29-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Ed, much appreciated. I plan on using REW along with a MiniDSP to set them up. Currently there is a great video and post (among the many others that are found on this forum), that walks us through the process of setting up multiple subs, with the end goal beeing a positive submission of all subs, and then eventually adding a 10dB house curve after EQ ing out the peaks with REW. This way the AVR receives one signal from the subs as if they are 1 giant virtual sub in the room. I'm hoping this will achieve better response across all seats and more output as you stated. Feel free to share any of your own tips on how to best use REW and the MiniDSP to achieve this. 👍🏾
We can connect via a phone consultation and you can email me the REW data. Agree with the above approach, except for the 10 dB house curve.

We can discuss the goals for the final FR, the calibration level of the subwoofer, and whether (or not) you are using something like Audyssey DEQ. DEQ is essentially a house curve which varies with the playback level. This would be preferred over a static house curve which typically will only sound right at one playback level relative to the equal loudness curves.
Craig Peer and darthray like this.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #31837 of 31869 Old 11-29-2019, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
We can connect via a phone consultation and you can email me the REW data. Agree with the above approach, except for the 10 dB house curve.

We can discuss the goals for the final FR, the calibration level of the subwoofer, and whether (or not) you are using something like Audyssey DEQ. DEQ is essentially a house curve which varies with the playback level. This would be preferred over a static house curve which typically will only sound right at one playback level relative to the equal loudness curves.
That sounds great Ed, I'll definitely reach out to you once everything is installed. I received the 2 subs this morning via FedEx, and I'm now in the process of moving the AVR and other sources to a different location in ths room in order to accommodate 1 sub in each corner. Im working through this now but will have to wait for additional speaker wire to come in since some of the runs need to be extended. 🏾.
As for integration and the house curve, here is a link to the video walkthrough that followed:

https://youtu.be/_A6gPCczhuU
post #31838 of 31869 Old 11-29-2019, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 68
i'm really excited today i brought my second SVS sub, i got the SVS PB16-Ultra great xmas present for me , i also have the SVS PB13-Ultra so this will be my first time using 2 Subs, now i only have to learn how to get the best sound possible of this 2 monsters, love my SVS PB13-Ultra i have for 5 years so i know the SVS PB16-Ultra will be amazing, can't wait to arrive

Sony XBR-75X940E | Yamaha CX-A5100 | Anthem MCA 50| Sunfire TGA-7201 | SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofer, SVS PB13-Ultra, Antimode 8033S-II | 7.1.4 Klipsch RP-450C - RP-260F - RP-240S - RP-160M - 4 In-Ceiling MartinLogan | Nvidia Shield TV | Xbox One | AppleTV 4K

English Is Not My First Language
post #31839 of 31869 Old 11-30-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi, I currently have the NSD PB12, would getting the SB4000 be an upgrade ? I use it more for movies than music.

Thanks
post #31840 of 31869 Old 11-30-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1994 Post(s)
Liked: 2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post
Hi, I currently have the NSD PB12, would getting the SB4000 be an upgrade ? I use it more for movies than music.

Thanks
If your use case is primarily/truly movies, continue upgrading to the PB (ported) series. As you upgrade progressively to the PB3000, PB4000, and PB16, you will gain both greater extension (low end) and SPL (loudness). Upgrading from the NSD PB12 to the PB3000 is a significant upgrade.
darthray and mthomas47 like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #31841 of 31869 Old 11-30-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi, just received my svs SB16 sub. I will be running this with my Arcam AVR. Is it recommended to adjust phase/PEQ etc before running DIRAC? Or is best to find the best position and Just let DIRAC do it’s thing? Thanks
darthray likes this.
post #31842 of 31869 Old 11-30-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernored View Post
Hi, just received my svs SB16 sub. I will be running this with my Arcam AVR. Is it recommended to adjust phase/PEQ etc before running DIRAC? Or is best to find the best position and Just let DIRAC do it’s thing? Thanks

Hi,

Congratulations on the new sub! With a single subwoofer, I would just experiment to find the best position, and then let Dirac do its thing. Afterwards, if you suspect that more is needed, you can always make PEQ adjustments. With a single sub, I wouldn't expect you to need to adjust the phase unless you were dealing with a crossover issue to your CC or your front speakers. In that case, you would also want to make the adjustment after running Dirac.

Regards,
Mike
darthray likes this.

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #31843 of 31869 Old 12-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

I was so excited to getting my 2nd SVS subwoofer after sweet talking my wife and all that excitement went down the drain. I need some help from SVS support. Just today I was hearing a ticking sound and walked behind the coach to hear where it was coming from and realized it was coming from the subwoofer. I shut it down for a bit and when I turned it on it began ticking again. I did some testing and also realized No vibration from the sub driver. I attached 2 videos to give you an idea.

Just for your information I bought it in 2013 and in 2015 I had a problem with it and Jack from SVS replaced it with a brand new one.

Does anybody have any idea what it could be the problem and what needs to be done?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Videos sample

Sony XBR-75X940E | Yamaha CX-A5100 | Anthem MCA 50| Sunfire TGA-7201 | SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofer, SVS PB13-Ultra, Antimode 8033S-II | 7.1.4 Klipsch RP-450C - RP-260F - RP-240S - RP-160M - 4 In-Ceiling MartinLogan | Nvidia Shield TV | Xbox One | AppleTV 4K

Last edited by MATA7; 12-02-2019 at 10:08 AM.
post #31844 of 31869 Old 12-01-2019, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello again, Ed, et al,

I finally got the subs placed and wired. I went ahead and summed them together per the video that I linked in my last response (minus the 10dB house curve), and they sound very good at the MLP. However, now that they are up and running, I'd like your input on how to "best" set them so that they give a better seat to seat consistency, after all, that was the driving reason for getting 4 subs for my room.
My AVR is a Pioneer SC-99 so there is no Audyssey, it has MCACC PRO instead.

So right of the bat, I have these questions for you:

1. What is YOUR procedure for integrating multiple subs in a room with multi-row seating? I ask this because it seems like the bulk of the calibration instructions I've found mainly focus on a primary seat. Like I stated above, the main reason for getting 4 subs in this room was so that all 5 seats could get good bass.

2. What is the main difference (pro or con) of using Polarity Invert vs adjusting Phase with the knob?
Since I'm using REW to measure and the MiniDSP 2x4 to make adjustments (before running the MCACC PRO in the AVR), I left the Phase knob on the subs set to zero and started by taking a measurement of the furthest sub from the MLP, then I measured the second furthest sub. After that, I measured sub1 and sub2 combined and found that the resulting summation looked better when I clicked on the Polarity Invert button for Sub2 in the MiniDSP software. I say it looked better because it was not a positive summation across the entire FR, but it was at least a better positive summation for a larger part of the FR then when I didn't Invert the polarity of Sub2 via the MiniDSP.
Since I plan on setting the AVR crossover to 80Hz, I focused on getting positive summation at least through 80Hz. I repeated this process of measuring sub3 alone then adding it to the combined FR of subs1&2. Again when adding subs 1,2 and 3, the summation was better when I Inverted the polarity of Sub3. Sub 4 did not need to have the polarity Inverted. I also played around with adding a little delay to Subs 2,3 and 4, but the results didn't improve as much, so I left the delay setting in the MiniDSP set to Zero. The subs are all place in or near the corners of the room (6 inches from the nearest wall), with Sub1 in the Front Left corner, Sub2 Front Right corner, Sub3 Rear Right corner, and Sub4 Rear Left Corner.

3. If not as stated above, how should I go about integration the subs?

I'm all ears
Let me know what other info and or measurements you need from me to help you help me.
post #31845 of 31869 Old 12-02-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
For several years now the black friday PB12-NSD deal has been amongst the best sub deals and they usually go super quickly. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought by this point they are typically gone. Glad they are still selling them. Don't know if they made more this year or the demand is lower. Of course my memory of prior years could just be faulty.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #31846 of 31869 Old 12-02-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATA7 View Post
I was so excited to getting my 2nd SVS subwoofer after sweet talking my wife and all that excitement went down the drain. I need some help from SVS support. Just today I was hearing a ticking sound and walked behind the coach to hear where it was coming from and realized it was coming from the subwoofer. I shut it down for a bit and when I turned it on it began ticking again. I did some testing and also realized No vibration from the sub driver. I attached 2 videos to give you an idea.

Just for your information I bought it in 2013 and in 2015 I had a problem with it and Jack from SVS replaced it with a brand new one.

Does anybody have any idea what it could be the problem and what needs to be done?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Videos sample

https://fb.luishs.com/share/GNgLLSvx

https://fb.luishs.com/share/-sOjjTKw

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem! I know that you were excited to get your second subwoofer, and the timing of this is unfortunate.

I'm not able to access your videos right now, but I think you probably have an amplifier issue. You need to contact Customer Service at SVS and they will help you. If you received a new subwoofer in 2015, then I believe that the amp should still be under warranty. In any event, I am confident that SVS will help you with this.

Regards,
Mike
darthray likes this.

post #31847 of 31869 Old 12-02-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
For several years now the black friday PB12-NSD deal has been amongst the best sub deals and they usually go super quickly. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought by this point they are typically gone. Glad they are still selling them. Don't know if they made more this year or the demand is lower. Of course my memory of prior years could just be faulty.
An excellent promotion for consumers and SVS on multiple levels...likely will continue for the foreseeable future.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #31848 of 31869 Old 12-02-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem! I know that you were excited to get your second subwoofer, and the timing of this is unfortunate.

I'm not able to access your videos right now, but I think you probably have an amplifier issue. You need to contact Customer Service at SVS and they will help you. If you received a new subwoofer in 2015, then I believe that the amp should still be under warranty. In any event, I am confident that SVS will help you with this.

Regards,
Mike
thanks for you kind words, i will call then today just waiting for the wife cause my english is no good, i hope you are right and is just amp problem and they replace, i ben waiting so long to be able to own 2 subs, again thanks
darthray, mthomas47 and Matt2026 like this.

post #31849 of 31869 Old 12-02-2019, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

I've recently bought an Anthem HT Processor with Emotiva XPA amplification. If possible i'd like to use the XLR connectors on both device. But my problem is, i have 2 SVS subwoofer units with only RCA connectors. So my question is, knowing that balanced XLR has double the voltage compared to unbalanced RCA is it a bad idea to connect subwoofers with an XLR to RCA adapter? Did anybody use SB/PB 12/2000 in a similar way?
post #31850 of 31869 Old 12-02-2019, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

i just called SVS Today and talked to the support team, he said the ticking sound might be the amp. He said he is going to have to talk to his director I believe, i have my fingers crossed that everything is going to be ok.

post #31851 of 31869 Old 12-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

After a couple of hours of speaking to svs, they just sent me an email that my replacement amp is on the way...really exacted again. Last Friday when I bought my new subwoofer there was another brand (which I won’t mention) and it was a good 15’’ subwoofer that was $1500 less than what I paid for my new SVS 16 Ultra but this kind of customer service that you get from SVS is what makes it worth it to me to pay for the extra money!

thanks svs for your great support

post #31852 of 31869 Old 12-03-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i have been upgrading from a SB1000 to a SB2000 , but i´m a bit disappointed can´t hear much difference , i goes a bit lower , but i dont get any wow effect , is the difference from the SB1000 to SB2000 that small or am i missing some thing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sb1000_sb2000.PNG
Views:	30
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	2648834  

Kef R500,R200C, Q100, SVS SB-1000, Onkyo TX-NR818,BlueSound Node2 , Sony 65XE90, Xbox One S. ,Apple Tv4
post #31853 of 31869 Old 12-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2253 Post(s)
Liked: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelund View Post
i have been upgrading from a SB1000 to a SB2000 , but i´m a bit disappointed can´t hear much difference , i goes a bit lower , but i dont get any wow effect , is the difference from the SB1000 to SB2000 that small or am i missing some thing
The graph suggests a rather substantial increase between the two, more than I would have anticipated you getting honestly. Perhaps the "wow effect" you're looking for would be in the form of a ported subwoofer instead?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #31854 of 31869 Old 12-03-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well I just pulled the trigger on a SB16 Ultra Black Friday no-damage outlet deal. What an amazing brand new sub for just $1500! I was comparing this sub closely to the PSA S1812. They have very similar output and performance range, and both great companies with awesome customer service. I saw graphs showing the PSA output a little higher at super low HZ levels, but I was won over by the cool SVS app that allows you to tune the sub from your phone. The amp plate on this sub won't be accessible because it will be in a recessed area, so that ability to dial in the settings without moving around a huge heavy sub is a big deal.
post #31855 of 31869 Old 12-03-2019, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I need some advice on Bass Traps.

I'm using a PC-4000 for the smaller footprint, as well as being able to fit it towards a corner of my room. I love the sub so far for the year or so I've used it. Now I decided its time to tackle room acoustics and bass traps a little.

Im assuming the most crucial first location be the corner by where the sub currently is? Sadly a lot of my room is very open concept, so the amount of "corners" I have to PUT bass traps is limited. I'm guessing any little bit will help though, especially since I'm currently not running duals.

Has anyone with a PC-4000 done bass trapping? Anything different you would need to address from say a PB-4000?
post #31856 of 31869 Old 12-03-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelund View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
The graph suggests a rather substantial increase between the two, more than I would have anticipated you getting honestly. Perhaps the "wow effect" you're looking for would be in the form of a ported subwoofer instead?
You didn’t mention what your use case is...music or movies. If you primarily watch movies, I would agree with Jim in that a ported sub will provide the “wow” factor you’re looking for. The PB2000 will provide a substantial improvement over the SB1000/SB2000 for those blockbuster action movies...the PB3000 even more so. Too often novice buyers purchase sealed (SB) subs for their smaller size and lesser cost...not realizing the performance trade offs.

post #31857 of 31869 Old 12-04-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

well look how decide to show up on my door today, i have to share with you guys because i'm exciting and the wife dont care

post #31858 of 31869 Old 12-04-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post
I need some advice on Bass Traps.

I'm using a PC-4000 for the smaller footprint, as well as being able to fit it towards a corner of my room. I love the sub so far for the year or so I've used it. Now I decided its time to tackle room acoustics and bass traps a little.

Im assuming the most crucial first location be the corner by where the sub currently is? Sadly a lot of my room is very open concept, so the amount of "corners" I have to PUT bass traps is limited. I'm guessing any little bit will help though, especially since I'm currently not running duals.

Has anyone with a PC-4000 done bass trapping? Anything different you would need to address from say a PB-4000?

Hi,

I applaud your interest in adding bass traps to your room. Doing that should definitely improve the clarity, and therefore the quality, of your bass, as good thick bass traps can absorb excess bass frequencies, which are pooling (they are often referred to as standing waves) down to about 60 or 70Hz. I will just offer a couple of quick comments on bass traps, and if you like, you can read more about them in Section I-A of the Guide, linked below.

First, bass frequencies tend to collect wherever two or more of the six surfaces come together in a room. Corners are always a good place to start with bass traps because three surfaces come together there, and it's also an easy place to locate traps which are deep enough to affect the lowest frequencies mentioned above. But, as you stated, you can benefit from bass traps anywhere in a room.

There is no special reason to treat a corner, closer to where the subwoofer is located (in preference to other corners in a room), and the bass trap won't care whether the low-frequencies are coming from a PB4000, a PC4000, or any other subwoofer. They will just absorb whatever bass frequencies slow down enough to come in contact with the trap. That absorption will reduce bass (and other) distortion in the room, especially if you use full-range traps.

Good luck! I think that the reading I suggested will help, and as noted in that article, you can also get somewhat personalized (free) advice from several of the acoustic panel companies that are listed there.

Regards,
Mike
darthray and Theheadsn like this.

Last edited by mthomas47; 12-04-2019 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Clarity
post #31859 of 31869 Old 12-05-2019, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Hi all. I am a new owner of SVS subs. I bought 2 - PC-2000s. I purchased them right after I moved so I didn't have them up and running right away. I did unbox them and test them. One sub was good and one had a bad driver. The SVS team was very quick and professional and got me taken care of. They sent me a new driver within a couple days and this one was good to go. I have been using these subs for 3 to 4 weeks now. I am very impressed with them. They are very clean, accurate and punchy, but also have plenty of power to shake things up a bit. I also love the cylinder form factor, my wife thinks they are huge and ridiculous. She is even the one that chose these subs out of the ones I had selected. She just could care less about home theater.

I will say one thing to new owners of at least the 2000 series subs: DO NOT judge the subs on what they sound like for the first few days of using them. These things definitely have a break in period. I honestly felt that they were weak at first, but not anymore. They really came to life after I had several hours at home without the wife and kids here. I played music at -12 db for a while and also ran through a bunch of my go to movie scenes at -18 db. I didn't go higher than that, but at that level they sounded very composed and didn't make any bad noises and also no hint of port noise (even with the intro scene of Edge of Tomorrow). I have one sub up front on the left side of the TV and the other one is in a little corner on the right side of the room where the 2 couches form an L.

Shawn
post #31860 of 31869 Old 12-05-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
What you are describing is the gain sensitivity of the amplifier - all amp platforms are different in this regard.

If you are connecting the SB-2000 to an AVR in a moderate size room - I would start at 1-2 o'clock and then run auto-set-up and see where the AVR trims out the sub channel for a level match with the speaker channels.

If the sub channel level comes back bottomed out at the minimum value - then reduce the gain by 1 hour. If it comes back somewhere in the middle of the negative region - you're good.
Thank you, Ed, for this useful information. I got this sub the day before we went out of town on vacation, so I've only had about a week with it now, but it's been impressive! We were watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation the other day (not a bass heavy movie at all) and I forgot about the sub altogether in that film until the scene where the lights on the house come on and creates a blackout for the whole city. That quickly reminded me that it was there, lol. So it's nice to have a good sub even during subtle movie viewing.

We randomly chose to watch a mini-series on Netflix called The I-Land. It's not bad but not great either... but I chose it because it had Dolby Vision which is my favorite for viewing material. The bass in that show really showed off what this sub can do. I'm extremely pleased with the SB-2000. When we eventually move I'll be getting a second one to go with it. I've never had dual subs before but I have a feeling two of these in a smaller sized living room would be incredible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page