Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 1084 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45469Likes

post #32491 of 32592 Old 02-14-2020, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Yes, that is what I said.

"Y-split" each of the 2 sub outs on the AVR. After adding the y-spitters, you will then have 4 sub outs from the AVR.

-OR- are you talking about "daisy chaining" the subs? I don't even know if that is possible and/or recommended with the SB16s....sorry.
Yup Daisy chaining, spoke to SVS support they said it's fine just now.

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x4 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32492 of 32592 Old 02-14-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 6889 Post(s)
Liked: 6562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
Yup Daisy chaining, spoke to SVS support they said it's fine just now.
Cool! No need to mess with y-splitters, that's a bonus.
post #32493 of 32592 Old 02-14-2020, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
yup! also it's nice to save a little on cables. just need one long XLR for one of the rear subs. i have a shorter one to use for daisy chaining the rear.

Thank you

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x4 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32494 of 32592 Old 02-15-2020, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Currently have my two SB16's for like three years, they are flanking my center channel speaker, 1/4 placement. i have an opportunity at the moment to get another pair of SB16's and place them in the same location but behind my MLP. the total would be 4 subs in this scenario.

The rear subs would be like 3-4 ft from my MLP. so much closer than my front subs if that matters.

For the front two the space is limited so they can't really move around much and i would like to keep them behind my screen. room is sealed and treated. room is around 3200 cu ft. i use my room for 100% movies (no music), it looks exactly like the below pic, i have one row of 3 seats only. my main concern is that i want better sound for my MLP, not really for the other seats.

This is a pic i found online which is very close to my room and i have edited it quickly (with dimensions and a few little details to give you a better idea)

Currently i would like to calibrate the four using Audyssey XT32(down the road will use a minidsp or a better processor) if i decide to add two more, some questions:

1- what benefits would i gain if i add two more subs? i am planning for this now as in a year or two i am going to go to a bigger room (max 4000 cu ft by then) so want to be a bit more future-proof.
2-i listen loud most of the time (at or close to reference)and usually run my subs 3-4db each hot after Audyssey.
3-Since i can calibrate two subs in my processor, should i run subs 1+2 as one and 3+4 as two? subs 1 and 2 are about 5ft apart, same for the rear subs if i decide to place them there. (in this case connect sub 1 to 2 and 3 to 4)
4-could the two new subs make things worse (sound-wise) if i decide to not move them to a better position?

Any help would be appreciated.
Quote:
1) When properly time-aligned, you will gain 3-6dB of headroom across the subwoofer bandwidth. It will also seem that the bass is now coming from "everywhere" instead of just the front stage.

2) Was there a question here?

3) Yes, you would y-split the two outputs from the AVR. Since the front and rear sub pairs will be relatively close to each other, this should work out well. Of course, if you had individual control of all 4 subs (MiniDSP), you might see some slight gains in performance but XT32 should work out well in this scenario.

4) With the distance setting in the AVR and the phase control on the subs, it is doubtful that this could result in "worse" sound.

IMO, once you get to the level of 4 subs, you really should have the ability to measure your response with REW.
Quote:
Thanks for the answers appreciate it Alan.

No question in #2

I will measure for sure using Rew after a while but for now i would let Audyssey do its thing.

Regarding your #3 answer, can't i just connect sub 1+2 together, then use sub output 1 on the AVR , then connect 3+4 together and use sub output 2 on the AVR? seems like the same thing if i am not mistaken.
Quote:
Yes, that is what I said.

"Y-split" each of the 2 sub outs on the AVR. After adding the y-spitters, you will then have 4 sub outs from the AVR.

-OR- are you talking about "daisy chaining" the subs? I don't even know if that is possible and/or recommended with the SB16s....sorry.
Quote:
Quote:
yup! also it's nice to save a little on cables. just need one long XLR for one of the rear subs. i have a shorter one to use for daisy chaining the rear.

Thank you
When XT32 time aligns the front/rear set of subs - that may not necessarily result in the smoothest combined FR.

If an obvious null is created when XT32 time aligns - then an alternate solution is to set the AVR for one (1) subwoofer and then connect all four subs to the sub 1 pre-out on the AVR and manually phase the front/rear sets using REW to steer the results.
Alan P, jamiebosco and Balbolito like this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #32495 of 32592 Old 02-15-2020, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Currently have my two SB16's for like three years, they are flanking my center channel speaker, 1/4 placement. i have an opportunity at the moment to get another pair of SB16's and place them in the same location but behind my MLP. the total would be 4 subs in this scenario.

The rear subs would be like 3-4 ft from my MLP. so much closer than my front subs if that matters.

For the front two the space is limited so they can't really move around much and i would like to keep them behind my screen. room is sealed and treated. room is around 3200 cu ft. i use my room for 100% movies (no music), it looks exactly like the below pic, i have one row of 3 seats only. my main concern is that i want better sound for my MLP, not really for the other seats.

This is a pic i found online which is very close to my room and i have edited it quickly (with dimensions and a few little details to give you a better idea)

Currently i would like to calibrate the four using Audyssey XT32(down the road will use a minidsp or a better processor) if i decide to add two more, some questions:

1- what benefits would i gain if i add two more subs? i am planning for this now as in a year or two i am going to go to a bigger room (max 4000 cu ft by then) so want to be a bit more future-proof.

2-i listen loud most of the time (at or close to reference)and usually run my subs 3-4db each hot after Audyssey.

3-Since i can calibrate two subs in my processor, should i run subs 1+2 as one and 3+4 as two? subs 1 and 2 are about 5ft apart, same for the rear subs if i decide to place them there. (in this case connect sub 1 to 2 and 3 to 4)

4-could the two new subs make things worse (sound-wise) if i decide to not move them to a better position?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a similar room and had 4 subs set up like you are asking about, however mine were 2000 pros and 2 12” klipsch subs. Sounded great however i’m not really sure how much the Klipsch subs added to the room, they were in the front. I had the front 2 hooked up with a y splitter and the same with the rears, only with the soundpath wireless. I upgraded to dual pb 4000s this week and am still working on the tuning. Currently have them both behind the mlp and the seem to sound best there.
I can’t imagine adding 2 more would make it worse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Balbolito likes this.
post #32496 of 32592 Old 02-15-2020, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've had an sb-1000 for a while and just bought an sb-2000 pro. If I run dual subs with xt32 will my receiver effectively cap the 2000's performance at the 1000 level? Would it be better to run just the single 2000?
post #32497 of 32592 Old 02-15-2020, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was wondering is there any direction on how the presets work in the app when using it with the SVS pb2000 pro, I don't see how you save the different presets, or does that not work with the pro series?

From the website, Custom presets can be saved for movies, music and more so you have one-touch tuning optimized for your listening preferences.

Last edited by mikejl43; 02-15-2020 at 01:42 PM.
post #32498 of 32592 Old 02-15-2020, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Wow. Just wow. Opened my email this week to find a nice surprise from SVS. An item I recently purchased just went on sale and they immediately credited my card the difference as it was within 60 days of the initial purchase. Such fantastic customer service. This is literally the fourth or so interaction I have had with SVS and each time has been stellar. This is a great company. A complete 180 from my prior Polk interactions. Now on to saving more money to replace the rest of these speakers with all new SVS!!!!
Magellan55 and SaskCanesFan like this.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #32499 of 32592 Old 02-15-2020, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Never mind I found a good video here, tutorial for the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejl43 View Post
I was wondering is there any direction on how the presets work in the app when using it with the SVS pb2000 pro, I don't see how you save the different presets, or does that not work with the pro series?

From the website, Custom presets can be saved for movies, music and more so you have one-touch tuning optimized for your listening preferences.
post #32500 of 32592 Old 02-15-2020, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Starting framing on my basement next week which will include a 14’x29’x9’ dedicated theater room. I’m planning a 140” wide AT screen and two rows of seating. I’m going with GoldenEar Invisa SPS as my LCR and was originally going to put a couple of PB3000s along the front wall, under the screen. The more I think about it though I would like to hide the subs if possible and as the room is very long I could build a 2-3’ false fall, do a cutout for the two PB3000s and cover the front wall with AT material. Has anyone done something similar?

I assume I should also add OC703 or Safe-n-Sound or similar insulation in the false wall to avoid that cavity making the bass too boomy?
post #32501 of 32592 Old 02-16-2020, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
You should use the camera icon in the upper left corner of the REW screen to capture your graph images. The resulting pic is much smaller in file size (easier for folks to download) and much easier to read.

Does this measurement include a speaker? If so; 1) when using REW to determine sub placement, you want to measure the sub only, and 2) that dip around 80Hz will likely be brought up by the sub distance tweak.

Thanks for the info regarding the camera icon.

1) Yes, sub only measurement.

2) Yes, been messing with distances and plan on more tweaking the next several days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-203, Bluesound Node 2i
Focal Aria 936/CC900, SVS SB-3000
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
APC H-15
post #32502 of 32592 Old 02-16-2020, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi, I had made a post a couple days ago about going with dual subs and that I was thinking about buying a PC4000 to go with my PB3000 because of a space issue. Ed responded and said it was best to stay with the PB3000. I am posting a picture of where the sub would go and would like some opinions. Do you think it being this close to the fireplace could be a problem. My other sub is on the other side, they would be about 10 feet apart.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01491.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	529.4 KB
ID:	2685644  
post #32503 of 32592 Old 02-16-2020, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 170
My little SB2000's apparently freak our new dog out when playing action movies, and she's downstairs while we watch movies upstairs in the "bonus room" over the garage. So sound is traveling pretty far, and I have to turn the volume down. The room is carpeted / floor is suspended / room is sealed (walls even have sound insulation). How much would isolation feet help, given the subs are already on carpet / pads? I know they work well on hardwood floors, but has anyone used them on carpet and noticed a difference? Would they also kill the room gain I'm enjoying, which gets my system fairly flat down to single digit frequencies?

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #32504 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I received the SB-1000 this past Saturday. After Audyssey, the results are:
Distance 13.1' (it sit 9' away)
Level –6.0dB
Crossover 90Hz

First movie I watched was Ford v Ferrari. It won the Oscar for best sound editing and was nominated for best sound mix. I enjoyed the movie (I give it an A) but something was lacking. I then started googling to see what tweaks I can do (I'm not doing the crawl...LOL). SVS has a Subwoofer Matching Tool. I entered my info and the recommended setting is to change my speakers to 120Hz. I changed it and it made a difference for the better.

My question is, if 90Hz is what Audyssey set, why is 120Hz better? I'm still a little confused about crossover settings. Does 120Hz sends more bass information to the sub? Or is it 90Hz? Either way, the SB-1000 is a sounding better now. Also, is a break-in period a factor?

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System

Last edited by gossamer88; 02-17-2020 at 10:16 AM.
post #32505 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2060 Post(s)
Liked: 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Distance 31.1' (it sit 9' away)
Level –6.0dB
Crossover 90Hz

First movie I watched was Ford v Ferrari. It won the Oscar for best sound editing and was nominated for best sound mix. I enjoyed the movie (I give it an A) but something was lacking. I then started googling to see what tweaks I can do (I'm not doing the crawl...LOL). SVS has a Subwoofer Matching Tool. I entered my info and the recommended setting is to change my speakers to 120Hz. I changed it and it made a difference for the better.

My question is, if 90Hz is what Audyssey set, why is 120Hz better? I'm still a little confused about crossover settings. Does 120Hz sends more bass information to the sub? Or is it 90Hz? Either way, the SB-1000 is a sounding better now. Also, is a break-in period a factor?
Your results and experience was predictable with the SB1000 with your use case of 75% movies and in your room. You should continue to experiment with the various settings/parameters with the SB1000 but ultimately you will want to exchange it for a “ported” sub as was recommended in the previous postings. The ported sub will meet and/or exceed your expectations as they say.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post59244096

Note: A sub’s location is the most important aspect of optimizing performance. The sub crawl is a basic tool/procedure that most enthusiasts employ and embrace for this purpose. Also, a break in period is not a necessity.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-17-2020 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Typo
post #32506 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 08:18 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Quoted: 5778 Post(s)
Liked: 11665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
My little SB2000's apparently freak our new dog out when playing action movies, and she's downstairs while we watch movies upstairs in the "bonus room" over the garage. So sound is traveling pretty far, and I have to turn the volume down. The room is carpeted / floor is suspended / room is sealed (walls even have sound insulation). How much would isolation feet help, given the subs are already on carpet / pads? I know they work well on hardwood floors, but has anyone used them on carpet and noticed a difference? Would they also kill the room gain I'm enjoying, which gets my system fairly flat down to single digit frequencies?

Hi,

Carpet on top of a suspended wood floor has relatively little effect on floor resonance, or on low-frequency transmission to the room below. Isolation feet might help somewhat, although lower bass frequencies aren't just going to go straight down from the subwoofer cabinet. They are going to travel up through the entire ceiling surface, down through the entire floor surface, and out through all four walls.

Think of bass frequencies behaving somewhat like fast-moving balls in a handball court, ricocheting off (and passing through in the case of long wave lengths) all six surfaces in the room. I don't see any harm in trying the isolation feet though, or something like this, if you needed to save some money.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Z36UDX1I&psc=1

Regards,
Mike

Edit: I missed your last question. The Isolation Feet won't affect the room gain that you are getting. That is a function of the room's geometry and it's construction.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 02-17-2020 at 08:34 AM.
post #32507 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 08:28 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Distance 31.1' (it sit 9' away)
Level –6.0dB
Crossover 90Hz

Hi,

I agree with Gene that you might like a ported sub even better. But, I do want to address some things from your post.

First, yes, a 120Hz crossover allows the subwoofer to play higher frequencies. The 90Hz crossover set by your AVR (based on Audyssey's measurements) wasn't a recommendation. It was just a preliminary setting, which corresponded to your speakers' roll-off in your room. If 120Hz sounds better to you, then that's what you should use.

Something else you can do is to try increasing the volume of your subwoofer a little bit. Just leave the AVR trim setting at -6, and increase the gain (Volume) control on the back of the subwoofer by a detent or so. Just adjust the dial to your preference, exactly as you are doing with your crossover.

If you want to understand more about basic HT/Audyssey concepts, such as adjusting subwoofer volume, DEQ, and crossovers, you may find the Guide, linked in my signature, to be helpful.

Regards,
Mike
gene4ht and gossamer88 like this.

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #32508 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks @gene4ht and @mthomas47 . I transposed the distance. Should read 13.1'. I did up the gain two notches and that was too much. So I dialed it back by one.

I'm going to consider the PB-1000 as it fits my budget. Just want to wait a couple of weeks and see if things improve.
gene4ht and mthomas47 like this.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
post #32509 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Posted this in my thread but might get some better traction over here...I’m in the owners club now!

Well I just pulled the trigger on the SB-1000 worst case I can send it back since SVS has that great bill of rights. Anyone use or recommend the isolation feet? The condo is a newer building with tile floors...thoughts?
post #32510 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Thanks @gene4ht and @mthomas47 . I transposed the distance. Should read 13.1'. I did up the gain two notches and that was too much. So I dialed it back by one.

I'm going to consider the PB-1000 as it fits my budget. Just want to wait a couple of weeks and see if things improve.

Here’s. Little visual to help see the XO. As said above, raising the XO basically let’s in more bass, but can be at the expense of clarity. The reason you like it better is probably the added bass is kinda(not really) like a house curve. Most enthusiasts raise the sub trims post audyssey since flat just sounds flat. Lol.
Also, I definitely recommend looking at ported. The added efficiency and extension just can’t be beat. If you didn’t like what raising the gain did, keep the gain higher, but lower the XO. Chances are you didn’t like the midbass bump. And what’s wrong with the crawl? Lol. It is crude but can definitely point you in the right direction.
gene4ht likes this.
post #32511 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I may have a chance to get an SVS PC-2000. My current setup has two SVS PB-1000's. One is located in the front of the room and the other is behind the couch which is the MLP. The size of the room is 14x14x9. The sub up front takes up a bit too much room and I could use the extra space afforded with the switch to the PC-2000. I spoke with an SVS representative and he said that the output from a PC-2000 is roughly equivalent to two PB-1000's. He said that I may get better "coverage" from the two PB-1000's but the PC-2000 should be enough for the size of my room. I am considering replacing the front sub with the PC-2000 and keeping the rear PB-1000 or replace both of them and just keep the PC-2000. Right now I am happy with the sound from the two PB-1000's but the space they take up is a bit much.

Any thoughts or advice on this potential change would be appreciated.

Bob

Spoiler!
post #32512 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sounds (no pun intended) like a good plan! Be sure to post your progress and good luck with your decisions!

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #32513 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrythm1k View Post

Here’s. Little visual to help see the XO. As said above, raising the XO basically let’s in more bass, but can be at the expense of clarity. The reason you like it better is probably the added bass is kinda(not really) like a house curve. Most enthusiasts raise the sub trims post audyssey since flat just sounds flat. Lol.
Also, I definitely recommend looking at ported. The added efficiency and extension just can’t be beat. If you didn’t like what raising the gain did, keep the gain higher, but lower the XO. Chances are you didn’t like the midbass bump. And what’s wrong with the crawl? Lol. It is crude but can definitely point you in the right direction.
Thanks but what happens when the crawl tells me it's at a spot the mrs hates. She already hates any subwoofer

post #32514 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Thanks but what happens when the crawl tells me it's at a spot the mrs hates. She already hates any subwoofer

Lol. Happens here too. I just remind her I pay the mortgage too!!! Lol
Depends on what you guys have previously worked out or negotiated in the past. I guess, if you can talk to her and show her it’s important to you, she should support that. Or not! Lol
How important for you to place it in the best spot is obviously up to you.
post #32515 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Room EQ Wizard, Room Correction Software and prayer.

Alan P likes this.

APC H-15
post #32516 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleroll View Post
Posted this in my thread but might get some better traction over here...I’m in the owners club now!

Well I just pulled the trigger on the SB-1000 worst case I can send it back since SVS has that great bill of rights. Anyone use or recommend the isolation feet? The condo is a newer building with tile floors...thoughts?

Yes, you’ll want the isolation feet. They make a huge difference.

doubleroll likes this.

APC H-15
post #32517 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 12:40 PM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtOne View Post
I may have a chance to get an SVS PC-2000. My current setup has two SVS PB-1000's. One is located in the front of the room and the other is behind the couch which is the MLP. The size of the room is 14x14x9. The sub up front takes up a bit too much room and I could use the extra space afforded with the switch to the PC-2000. I spoke with an SVS representative and he said that the output from a PC-2000 is roughly equivalent to two PB-1000's. He said that I may get better "coverage" from the two PB-1000's but the PC-2000 should be enough for the size of my room. I am considering replacing the front sub with the PC-2000 and keeping the rear PB-1000 or replace both of them and just keep the PC-2000. Right now I am happy with the sound from the two PB-1000's but the space they take up is a bit much.

Any thoughts or advice on this potential change would be appreciated.

Bob

Hi Bob,

There is no way I know to accurately predict what you will like best, but I'll try to talk about the options a little. First, the PC2000 will extend lower in frequency than a PB1000 will, so you might like that. On the other hand, dual PB1000's could be giving you a better frequency response than a single sub will.

When you have a better frequency response, that means that all of the bass frequencies are playing at more-or-less the same volume level, despite room modes which are introducing random peaks and dips in volume. Audyssey can help with that, but only to a certain extent. I think you are just going to have to experiment here.

What I would probably not do is to mix a PC2000 and a PB1000. As Ed points out pretty regularly on this thread, the phase response of the two ported subs will be different, and they may cancel each other starting in about the mid-20Hz range. Integrating two identical subs can be a bit of a challenge. Integrating two different ported subs just makes things even more difficult.

I think that your best bet is to order a PC2000 without sending back your PB1000's. Once you have tried the PC2000, you will be in a better position to decide what to do. Try it by itself, and see if you like it, or try it with one of the PB1000's, and see what happens. Then, you can decide what you are keeping, and what you are sending back to SVS.

Although the room size is small, it's conceivable that you would want to keep the PC2000 and add another one later. That could be either a PB2000 or a PC2000. Their frequency responses would be virtually identical. And, given the room size, it is also possible that dual SB2000's would work well for you. Ported subs produce much more low-frequency SPL and tactile sensations than comparable sealed subs do. But, you will be getting pretty good room gain in that room, so two sealed SB2000's might work well in your room.

Regards,
Mike
gene4ht and ColtOne like this.

Last edited by mthomas47; 02-17-2020 at 12:45 PM.
post #32518 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

I think that your best bet is to order a PC2000 without sending back your PB1000's. Once you have tried the PC2000, you will be in a better position to decide what to do. Try it by itself, and see if you like it, or try it with one of the PB1000's, and see what happens. Then, you can decide what you are keeping, and what you are sending back to SVS.
@ColtOne

+1

Solid plan, strategy, and advice...only way to determine what works best and what you like in your environment.
mthomas47 and ColtOne like this.

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-17-2020 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Typo
post #32519 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Post Does anyone run four (4) of the SVS PB-3000 Subs ???

Greetings guys,

Currently I have four (4) Mirage BPS-400 subs.
See Specs below,
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...page=11#manual

They don't lack for bass content but I have had those for 20-years.

My dedicated (Pitch-Black) H/T is approximately 4,000 plus Cubic-Feet.

I really think, hopefully, from all I have seen (Videos) and read (Magazine-Reviews & Customer-Comments) that four (4) of the PB-3000 subs will greatly enhance my overall listening pleasure versus the current 4-Mirage BPS-400s.

I do Plus 90% Movies and from what I have seen & read the SVS PB-3000 excel with those !!!

So, do any of you run four (4) of the SVS PB-3000 Subs

As I read through the comments I didn't really see all that many that run Dual-PB-3000 Subs ???

I would really-really like seeing further comments from owners on the SVS PB-3000 Subs.
Especially Dual or quad applications guys ..........

Thanks,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-18-2020 at 06:02 AM. Reason: I typed 400 for cubic instead of 4,000 Plus Cubic Feet !!!
post #32520 of 32592 Old 02-17-2020, 03:23 PM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Greetings guys,

Currently I have four (4) Mirage BPS-400 subs.
See Specs below,
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...page=11#manual

They don't lack for bass content but I have had those for 20-years.

My dedicated (Pitch-Black) H/T is approximately 4,00 plus Cubic-Feet.

I really think, hopefully, from all I have seen (Videos) and read (Magazine-Reviews & Customer-Comments) that four (4) of the PB-3000 subs will greatly enhance my overall listening pleasure versus the current 4-Mirage BPS-400s.

I do Plus 90% Movies and from what I have seen & read the SVS PB-3000 excel with those !!!

So, do any of you run four (3) of the SVS PB-3000 Subs

As I read through the comments I didn't really see all that many that run Dual-PB-3000 Subs ???

I would really-really like seeing further comments from owners on the SVS PB-3000 Subs.
Especially Dual or quad applications guys ..........

Thanks,
Terry

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the thread! As you know, I have seen your posts on a couple of threads now, and I am curious how you settled on having four PB3000's? I know that you currently have four subs, so I understand your desire to repeat that. But, I'm also curious about what you are really looking for with your new subwoofers?

Are you looking for more mid-bass chest punch, or for more low-bass excitement and special effects? They aren't mutually exclusive, but it would be helpful to know what your priorities are. It would also be helpful to know your typical listening volume. I looked at your theater photos (nice theater and equipment) and I assume that it is in fact a little more than 4,000^3.

The reason that I am asking these questions is because I can't help thinking that you might be happier starting with two PB4000's, rather than four PB3000's. The PB4000 has a lower tuning point than the PB3000 (16Hz as opposed to about 20Hz). Surprisingly, the PB3000's are even stronger in the mid-bass than the PB4000's are, but the PB4000's are much stronger below 20Hz.

In a small room, where there is a lot of room gain, that won't matter as much, but in a 4000^3 room it might. You can make-up some of the <20Hz disparity in performance by having enough of the PB3000's, but it will be hard to equal two PB4000's below 20Hz. For instance, it would take all four PB3000's to equal just one PB4000 at 16Hz. And, most people in that size room would want dual PB4000's, which would add another +6dB at that frequency.

(Just to make this point even more emphatically, it would take eight PB3000's to equal dual PB4000's at 16Hz. Each doubling of subwoofers nets +6dB of SPL, averaged across the subwoofers' passband. Typically, the full +6dB is achieved for the very low frequencies.)

If you are primarily after more mid-bass SPL, then four PB3000's will be a terrific choice! In fact, they will run you completely out of the room where mid-bass frequencies are concerned. But, if you are also interested in very low-frequency effects, as most people who are 90% movies are, then dual PB4000's might be a better bet.

My advice with respect to ported subs is to pick your desired port tune, and then to add multiples of that; rather than just trying to use numbers of subs to compensate for a higher port tune than you really should have started with. Lower port tunes are a big help in larger rooms, where there is less room gain to amplify the lowest frequencies. And, on concrete floors, lower-tuned subs also have a tactile ULF advantage.

You know, nothing says that you couldn't also add two more PB4000's somewhere down the road if you wanted to. As long as you are strategic, and perhaps a little bit patient, if cost is a factor right now, it really is possible to have your cake and eat it too.

Regards,
Mike
tigerhonaker and Matt2026 like this.

Last edited by mthomas47; 02-17-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page