Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 1117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 46145Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #33481 of 33578 Old 06-27-2020, 07:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
Man that looks like a really open floor plan. Good for design, not so good for acoustics, especially LFE :-) Sound waves don't care about where arbitrary lines are drawn on a floorplan for where rooms end - they care about where the walls are. If I'm reading this right, your "room" is actually the great room, kitchen, cafe, dining room, foyer, heck even the stairs. That's maybe 7500 cu ft. Are the arches to the DR down to the floor, or just "windows" to the great room? The more wall there the better for acoustics. I'm just not sure any sealed sub can really pressurize that space. They will sound OK, but I don't think you'll feel much unless it's near field, sitting next to your couch. I don't think you'll be wowed by the experience. Just don't buy it until after you move in, so you can try it out and have the 45 day return policy.

Thank you for the reply. I was concerned when we visited the build site again and this was probably the first time I visited after doing some research/looking around for a sub, which is what lead me to posting the floor plan. I was originally planning on sticking the sub in the bottom right corner of the great room so it appears some what "hidden" when you walk into the area, so it would not be considered near field. Those are indeed archways to the dining room. It seems like I might just be better off going with a PB vs SB. I could potentially do dual SB but it goes against my "smaller" footprint focus.
beyondm3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #33482 of 33578 Old 06-27-2020, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Thanks Mike.

Terry - email SVS CS at [email protected] and indicate you would like to communicate with me. My team will flag the ticket for me in our system and I'll reach out. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Morning Ed,

Thank-You kind Sir the E-Mail has been sent.
Please let me know you received it ???

It should come to you as I did use your Full Name, Ed Mullen ..............

Terry Honaker
Ed,

Just checking in buddy to confirm you did receive the E-Mail I sent you ???

Thanks,
Terry Honaker

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-27-2020 at 07:56 AM.
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #33483 of 33578 Old 06-27-2020, 07:39 AM
Senior Member
 
AllanMarcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg8 View Post
Pb13 ultra....received the email today about the amp upgrade with app support. Decided to order as it is supposed to make it similar to the pb4000. Figured I would give it a try as I had contemplated going dual at some point. Pleased they are providing a path forward.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I got my upgrade notice too. While I'm seriously thinking about it, I wonder how much I will actually change the settings. Once eq is dialed in, how much do people use the App to change settings? Sure, changing eq settings on the SB Ultra 13 is a major pain, but measure, set, forget. right? What am I really getting for $400 is I'm not changing settings?

Plus my receiver has a 4 band eq for subs between 15Hz and 250Hz

---
Yamaha RX-A3080 | LG OLED77C8PUA | Monitor Audio Gold GX100 mains
Monitor Audio Gold C350 | Orb ModX surrounds and Atmos overheads | SVS SB13Ultra sub | 7.1.4
Plus a bunch of high-end headphones (Utopia, TH-900mk2, Audio Zenith, and more)

Last edited by AllanMarcus; 06-27-2020 at 07:46 AM.
AllanMarcus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #33484 of 33578 Old 06-27-2020, 07:44 AM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,867
Mentioned: 433 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6032 Post(s)
Liked: 12405
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondm3 View Post
Thank you for the reply. I was concerned when we visited the build site again and this was probably the first time I visited after doing some research/looking around for a sub, which is what lead me to posting the floor plan. I was originally planning on sticking the sub in the bottom right corner of the great room so it appears some what "hidden" when you walk into the area, so it would not be considered near field. Those are indeed archways to the dining room. It seems like I might just be better off going with a PB vs SB. I could potentially do dual SB but it goes against my "smaller" footprint focus.

Hi,

FWIW, this is what I advised in the first response to your question. I believe that you will prefer a ported sub for the type of listening that you will be doing. Porting greatly increases a subwoofer's ability to produce <35Hz sounds and tactile sensations. And, in larger rooms, on concrete, and for movie/TV watching, ported subs are a much safer bet, unless you can have several equivalent sealed subs for each ported sub. So, I would definitely start with a good ported subwoofer if I were in your position.

The footprint of the subwoofer won't matter nearly as much as you think it will. After a very short while, the subwoofer will just become another piece of furniture in the room, and you won't really notice that it is a few inches longer, wider, or taller than you had originally imagined it as being. There is a lot of empirical evidence on AVS to support that conclusion.

But, it isn't just the greater capability of the ported sub which makes it a better choice for your first really good sub, and for the SVS free-trial period. It is also the ability to test the subwoofer in both ported and sealed mode that I think makes it a better choice for you. You have a relatively inexpensive ported sub now. Moving to a good SVS sealed sub will immediately give you an increase in mid-bass SPL, and an increase in overall sound quality. The subwoofer will play mid-bass frequencies both louder, and with less distortion, than what you have now.

But, it is not going to give you a lot more low-bass SPL and TR (tactile response), compared to what you already have. And, if you are like most people, you are going to start to wonder whether you would have been better-off in going with a ported model after all. If you start with something like a PB3000, you can try it in both sealed and ported mode, without ever moving it from your selected position in the room. And, that will give you a very legitimate head-to-head comparison, that you would be hard-pressed to achieve in any other way.

I predict that you will prefer the ported mode. And, then you will be all set. If you find that you prefer sealed, you can exchange it for the smaller SB3000 or SB4000. But, either way it goes, you will be taking the guesswork out of the question of whether you need/prefer ported or sealed. And, the longer you hang around on AVS, and on subwoofer threads, the more you will appreciate how important it is to be able to identify your own bass goals and preferences, in your own room.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is offline  
post #33485 of 33578 Old 06-27-2020, 08:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondm3 View Post
Thank you for the reply. I was concerned when we visited the build site again and this was probably the first time I visited after doing some research/looking around for a sub, which is what lead me to posting the floor plan. I was originally planning on sticking the sub in the bottom right corner of the great room so it appears some what "hidden" when you walk into the area, so it would not be considered near field. Those are indeed archways to the dining room. It seems like I might just be better off going with a PB vs SB. I could potentially do dual SB but it goes against my "smaller" footprint focus.
Mike always has great advice, so the only thing I'll add is if "footprint" is really an issue, rather than visual size, then a PC may be a better option than PB. Given your situation, I'm not sure one PC2000 will be enough of an upgrade, and they don't make a PC3000, so you'd be looking at a PC4000 or dual PC2000's. Yeah that's getting up there in cost though.

While I don't think sealed would be a good idea in your room, if you have to go that route for some reason the one advantage is they are easy to tuck away under end tables or whatever, so hiding several of them isn't that bad. But do plan on at least 2, and probably the SB3000 or 4000.

One other thought - if the walls aren't in yet, I would recommend pre-wiring for 7.1.4. If you've never experienced 7.1, it really is a step up from 5.1. It is so cool to have things come from directly behind you, or bullets whiz by your ear in a shooter game, that 5.1 can't replicate (even phantom rears). And background music / sounds envelop you and put you in the center of the scene, rather than a forward half-dome. A movie like "Gravity" is just a different experience in 7.1. You don't have a rear wall in your room, so go pretty far back along the side walls, I'd say at least 6 feet behind your MLP. Dolby guide: https://www.dolby.com/about/support/...r-setup-guide/ . Even if your current AVR can't handle it, your next one probably will, so think of it as future proofing. My AVR can do either 5.2.2 with phantom rears or 7.2, and I tried both, and actually prefer 7.2 over 5.2.2.
mthomas47 likes this.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Triple SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600

Last edited by Magellan55; 06-28-2020 at 06:06 AM.
Magellan55 is offline  
post #33486 of 33578 Old 06-27-2020, 12:35 PM
Member
 
saw2814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
I didn't mean to sound ungrateful as I do appreciate that you replied

personally I like the display but I do agree instead of a black display when turned Off a small discrete led with red for standby green for active would let users know the sub was powered and working

as for the display I tried what you suggested but I thought you meant toggle it on and off with the app and then the timer will work when you probably meant what @jl8 2 shows in his post
I have now done that and it works

going back to the question of both subs not being on Auto from the factory well I was sure that's what I read it should be but when setting the display I now notice that the app says ON is default
whether its brain freeze or old age its all good now

certainly trivial compared to a dead sub after just 10 days so good luck
I didn’t do a very good job of explaining the process for the timeout feature. Should have included a screenshot like the other poster did.

I had to toggle the power off for a minute then back on for timeout to work constantly for some reason. Technology is great when it’s working. Helps me work on my profanity skills when it isn’t.

Folks at SVS have been absolutely awesome throughout my my buying experience. I can’t think of another company that has been more helpful over my 60+ years on earth.
Lesmor likes this.
saw2814 is online now  
post #33487 of 33578 Old 06-28-2020, 04:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
Mike always has great advice, so the only thing I'll add is if "footprint" is really an issue, rather than visual size, then a PC may be a better option than PB. Given your situation, I'm not sure one PC2000 will be enough of an upgrade, and they don't make a PC3000, so you'd be looking at a PC4000 or dual PC2000's. Yeah that's getting up there in cost though.

While I don't think sealed would be a good idea in your room, if you have to go that route for some reason the one advantage is they are easy to tuck away under end tables or whatever, so hiding several of them isn't that bad. But do plan on at least 2, and probably the SB3000 or 4000.

One other thought - if the walls aren't in yet, I would recommend pre-wiring for 7.1.4. If you've never experienced 7.1, it really is a step up from 5.1. It is so cool to have things come from directly behind you, or bullets whiz by your ear in a shooter game, that 5.1 can't replicate (even phantom rears). And background music / sounds envelop you and put you in the center of the scene, rather than a forward half-dome. A movie like "Gravity" is just a different experience in 7.1. You don't have a rear wall in your room, so go pretty far back along the side walls, I'd say at least 6 feet behind your MLP. Dolby guide: https://www.dolby.com/about/support/...r-setup-guide/ . Even if your current AVR can't handle it, your next one probably will, so think of it as future proofing. My AVR can do either 5.2.2 with phantom rears or 7.2.1, and I tried both, and actually prefer 7.2.1 over 5.2.2.

Looks like I really need to start considering a PB, seems to be the advice of everyone here albeit dual SB....In which I'll probably lean towards a PB 4000 as if I go PB it will certainly only be one.

It is too late to wire up 7.1.x, I was considering it at first but like you said there is no rear wall and would be difficult for me to persuade for more speakers (WAF). I was originally going to put surrounds in the walls however one side was the archway post which didn't have enough space in it and the other was the perimeter wall, again not enough depth. So I've got my surrounds mounted there.

Again, thanks for the info.

Last edited by beyondm3; 06-28-2020 at 04:15 AM.
beyondm3 is offline  
post #33488 of 33578 Old 06-28-2020, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Ed Mullen,

I need to contact you via E-Mail or PM on this site or even a quick cellphone call.
I don't see anyway to do that when I looked at your profile.

Terry Honaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
@Ed Mullen may work a little faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Thanks Mike.

Terry - email SVS CS at [email protected] and indicate you would like to communicate with me. My team will flag the ticket for me in our system and I'll reach out. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Morning Ed,

Thank-You kind Sir the E-Mail has been sent.
Please let me know you receive it ???

It should come to you as I did use your Full Name, Ed Mullen ..............

Terry Honaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Ed,

Just checking in buddy to confirm you did receive the E-Mail I sent you ???

Thanks,
Terry Honaker
Ed Mullen,

I have now officially made the change from the current 4 SVS PB-4000 Subs to the now (Ordered) 4 SVS PB-16 ULTRA Subwoofers.
If interested Left Click on the Link below.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59873576


Looking forward to hearing from you ........ Kind-Sir.

Terry Honaker
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #33489 of 33578 Old 06-28-2020, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mkerdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 3,205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I am debating whether to save $200 a copy and get two of the Closeout SVS PC-2000 (Non-Pro, i.e. No App Control) Subwoofers, or go with the New SVS PC-2000 Pros.

Have the Pros improved beyond the App?

https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-...ant=9559987395

What do you think?

Murray Kerdman
mkerdman is offline  
post #33490 of 33578 Old 06-28-2020, 07:22 PM
Member
 
BeeAVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post
I am debating whether to save $200 a copy and get two of the Closeout SVS PC-2000 (Non-Pro, i.e. No App Control) Subwoofers, or go with the New SVS PC-2000 Pros.

Have the Pros improved beyond the App?

https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-...ant=9559987395

What do you think?

Check out my last posting below....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post59815806






.

Projector: EPSON Home Cinema 1060 | Screen: 100" Silver Ticket (fixed/white) | Receiver: DENON X3600h (5.2.4) | Receiver fan: AC Infinity Aircom T8 | Blu-ray: Panasonic DP-UB420 | Logitech Harmony Hub | Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Gen. | Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2+ | Front L/R: JBL Studio 530 & Klipsch RP-600M | Surrounds: Klipsch R-51M | Atmos: N/A | Sub: SVS PB-2000 Pro (dual) | Other: ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 & Polk Audio S20
BeeAVision is offline  
post #33491 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Ed,

Just checking in buddy to confirm you did receive the E-Mail I sent you ???

Thanks,
Terry Honaker
Hi Terry -

Sorry - I don't see anything in our CS inbox under your last name. I checked in our Shopping Cart and don't see anything under Honaker.

What email address did you send it from - I can search for that. Also, make sure you sent it to [email protected]. Thanks.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #33492 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Ed Mullen,

I have now officially made the change from the current 4 SVS PB-4000 Subs to the now (Ordered) 4 SVS PB-16 ULTRA Subwoofers.
If interested Left Click on the Link below.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59873576


Looking forward to hearing from you ........ Kind-Sir.

Terry Honaker
Hi Terry -

Congrats on the upgrade! We can assist you with set-up and calibration as needed - the process will be very similar to your PB-4000s.
tigerhonaker likes this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #33493 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Hi Terry -

Sorry - I don't see anything in our CS inbox under your last name. I checked in our Shopping Cart and don't see anything under Honaker.

What email address did you send it from - I can search for that. Also, make sure you sent it to [email protected]. Thanks.
I'll send again .........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Hi Terry -

Congrats on the upgrade! We can assist you with set-up and calibration as needed - the process will be very similar to your PB-4000s.
Thank-You Ed M.

Terry

Ed, below is the actual content of the E-Mail I just now sent you:

Quote:
Attention Ed Mullen, I need your Help I'm tigerhonaker over on the AVS Internet site.

Ed,

I need all the little feet that come under the SVS PB-4000 Subwoofer.
I have 4 of the PB-4000 Subs so I need 24 Feet.
When I purchased the 4 PB-4000 Subs I also purchased the SVS Isolation Packs for them.
The techs installed the SVS Isolation Soft Feet they did NOT save the Feet that came under the 4-PB-4000 subs.
I just Up-Dated Saturday from the 4 PB-4000 to 4 SVS PB-16 ULTRA’s.

Your assistance would be Greatly Appreciated as I don’t really know how to get the Stock-Feet that come under the SVS PB-4000 Subs.
I need those 24 Stock-Feet ASAP …………..

Terry Honaker
Address here is Not Shown:
The above is the Exact E-Mail I'm now sending you Ed M.

Terry Honaker

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-29-2020 at 09:17 AM.
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #33494 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Hi Terry -

Sorry - I don't see anything in our CS inbox under your last name. I checked in our Shopping Cart and don't see anything under Honaker.

What email address did you send it from - I can search for that. Also, make sure you sent it to [email protected]. Thanks.
Ed,

I just received "Confirmation" that they did receive the last E-Mail.
I also Replied to that "Confirmation" E-Mail and ask again that my E-Mail went to ED MULLEN.

Terry

Attention Ed M,

Your support request (65599) has been received and is being reviewed by our Customer Service staff.

To add additional comments, reply to this email.



.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-29-2020 at 09:30 AM.
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #33495 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
So I have received my 2 x SVS SB16 Ultra's and when getting familiar with using the app
I have found that Standby on both of them is set to ON
according to the manual the default should be Auto so I am curious as to why that could be

after checking the manual my second question is that again on both subs the display is set to the 10 sec (Default) but nowhere does it explain what that actually does?
I assumed it would mean that the display turns Off after 10 seconds but so far that has not happened on any of the 2 subs
Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
well turning off the display using the app works but it didn't do anything to help with initiating the 30 sec default

with a single sub I would agree you would hear if it was powered on but when using duals the display is the only indication that both the subs are is powered up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
we can only work with what we have got, not what we would like
for what you / we would like there is always the cheaper DIY option

that aside it doesn't answer my original questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
I didn't mean to sound ungrateful as I do appreciate that you replied

personally I like the display but I do agree instead of a black display when turned Off a small discrete led with red for standby green for active would let users know the sub was powered and working

as for the display I tried what you suggested but I thought you meant toggle it on and off with the app and then the timer will work when you probably meant what @jl8 2 shows in his post
I have now done that and it works

going back to the question of both subs not being on Auto from the factory well I was sure that's what I read it should be but when setting the display I now notice that the app says ON is default
whether its brain freeze or old age its all good now

certainly trivial compared to a dead sub after just 10 days so good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
Thanks
well I could swear that the default was Auto but while resolving the display timer I noticed that the app says ON is the default so its all good now
Glad you got this resolved. The power mode and the display setting function independently. The most common settings are display off, time-out 10 seconds and auto.

With this combination, the display will illuminate when you are using the app and will then go dark after 10 seconds.

When the amp drops into standby, the display will briefly illuminate and say 'goodbye'. When it wakes up from standby, the display will illuminate and show the last menu location and then it will time-out and go dark again.
Lesmor likes this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #33496 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart541 View Post
Does the SB-3000 hit noticeably harder than the SB-2000? I don't necessarily need deeper response than the 2000 but I'd like a bit more impact in effects like a cannon shot as opposed to wanting deeper earthquake rumble.
Yes, the SB-3000 has twice the dynamic output of the SB-2000 in the 40-80 Hz octave with subjectively more punch/impact at higher playback levels.
mart541 likes this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #33497 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh4all View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum and trying to get some advice.

I just ordered two SB2000 pro's for a dedicated stereo system. I am trying to figure out what is the best way to hook the subs up to my system. I have been using a single REL Storm III hooked up from the high inputs to my McIntosh MC-60 mono blocks. The SB2000 pros only have one set of inputs which are RCA's. My preamp has two sets of outputs, one set goes to the mono blocks. I have downloaded the manual and it shows for two channel system to use a splitter at the preamp and run one RCA to sub and the other to amp. I also talked with someone from SVS on the phone to ask the best way to connect everything up. Not really quite sure he understood. he said refer to the manual. So if I have two outs on my preamp, I see no reason why I need a splitter at preamp. Also the manual does not show where to or how to hook up on the sub side. Do I plug it in to the LFE which is Right channel? Do I plug into left channel since I do not need LFE? or do I use a splitter and plug it into both? Or is there a better way? Ideally the signal going into the subs would probably be best coming from my amps, but I decided the convenience of the app was more important than a slight loss of sound quality if any.

I tried looking this up here and in the two channel forum first. Sorry if the answer has already been posted and I somehow missed it. Thanks in advance for any help.
Connect one set of pre-outs to your loudspeaker amp.

Connect the other set of pre-outs to your SB-2000 Pros - naturally left side pre-out to the left side sub, and right side pre-out to the right side sub.

It doesn't matter which input you use at the subwoofer - they are electrically identical. You don't need a splitter at the subwoofers.

Set the low pass frequency and slope on the SB-2000 Pros to blend with your speakers - we can advise you on a good starting point based on the brand/model loudspeaker in your system. There is no 'right or wrong' low pass setting - just trust your ears and tweak as needed from the starting point.

Then adjust the volume of the SB-2000 Pros to level match with your loudspeakers.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #33498 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post
Hey guys,

After 15 years, it is finally time to upgrade from my trusty PB-10 NSD that has served me well over the years. I'm currently debating between the PB-2000 Pro and the SB-3000. My living room is about 22’ x 10’ with 8ft ceilings, but one side is completely open to a dining room and kitchen. My use is 80/20 HT/music, and I’m looking for something more in the way of oomph and SQ than what I have now. Size is not a deal killer, but the form factor of SB-3000 is an attractive feature. I like the additional power in that amp, but I’m concerned I might be disappointed by a perceived lack of response in the sub 30Hz range if I go with a sealed model. My budget tops out at $1000 for the sub, so the PB-3000 and above are really out of reach for me. I will be getting an all new 5.1 system with this upgrade with speakers from Ascend and a modern Denon receiver.

I’ve searched for direct comparisons of these two models, but no luck. Can anyone offer some insight? They are very close in price. Thanks in advance!
Based on your room size and system usage, I recommend the PB-2000 Pro for your application. The larger ported cabinet will allow it to fill and pressurize that room nicely on LFE in the 18-36 Hz octave, and it will be a great upgrade in all respects (SQ, deep extension, overall performance and user control/connectivity) over your PB10-NSD.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #33499 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 11:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Connect one set of pre-outs to your loudspeaker amp.

Connect the other set of pre-outs to your SB-2000 Pros - naturally left side pre-out to the left side sub, and right side pre-out to the right side sub.

It doesn't matter which input you use at the subwoofer - they are electrically identical. You don't need a splitter at the subwoofers.

Set the low pass frequency and slope on the SB-2000 Pros to blend with your speakers - we can advise you on a good starting point based on the brand/model loudspeaker in your system. There is no 'right or wrong' low pass setting - just trust your ears and tweak as needed from the starting point.

Then adjust the volume of the SB-2000 Pros to level match with your loudspeakers.


Thank you Ed!

This is exactly what I needed. Kind of figure, but wanted to make sure so I have the right cabling. They should be here Wednesday....getting excited.
jh4all is offline  
post #33500 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post
I am debating whether to save $200 a copy and get two of the Closeout SVS PC-2000 (Non-Pro, i.e. No App Control) Subwoofers, or go with the New SVS PC-2000 Pros.

Have the Pros improved beyond the App?

https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-...ant=9559987395

What do you think?
What are you running for an AV processor?

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #33501 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 02:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but I just wanted to say that I ordered my first ever SVS subwoofer today. This will be my first “real” home theater subwoofer. The only other one I’ve had is a cheap Boston Acoustics 8” subwoofer (that I’m still currently using).

I just came across a PB12-NSD open box for a great deal, and they’re an authorized SVS retailer (IQ home entertainment, which I see listed on the SVS site) and told me it still comes with the full 5 year warranty. I wasn’t actually planning on upgrading my subwoofer quite yet. I had just started researching them. But they only had this one left and the deal just seemed too good to pass up (especially for my planned price range) and I’d done enough research to know that I couldn’t go wrong with an SVS subwoofer.

I’m very excited, to say the least!
BillsFan4 is offline  
post #33502 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mkerdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 3,205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
What are you running for an AV processor?
I have a Denon AVR-X4500H 9.2 Reciever (with Full Pre-Amp Outputs) 125 Watts Per Channel X 9 Channels as well as a Stereo Power Amp X 2 Channels all driving a 7.X.4 Atmos System:

(2) L+R FRONT Definitive Technology BP9080 Full Range Tower with a 455 Watt Amp driving a 12 inch Subwoofer and (2) 12 inch Passive Radiators
(1) CENTER Definitive Technology CS9080 Full Range Center Speaker with a 300 Watt Amp driving an 8 inch Subwoofer and a 10 Inch Passive Radiator
(2) L+R SURROUND Definitive Technology BP9060 Full Range Towers with a 300 Watt Amp driving an 10 inch Subwoofer and (2) 10 inch Passive Radiators
(2) SURROUND BACK Definitive Technology SR9080 Bi-Polar Speakers

All of the Subwoofer Output above serves as my LFE.

I am interest in additional extended LFE which is why I am looking at the SVS 12 inch Vertical PC-2000 or PC-2000 - Pro Subwoofer(s).

Is the App Control the main difference between the PC-2000 and PC-2000 - Pro ?

Murray Kerdman
mkerdman is offline  
post #33503 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post
I have a Denon AVR-X4500H 9.2 Reciever (with Full Pre-Amp Outputs) 125 Watts Per Channel X 9 Channels as well as a Stereo Power Amp X 2 Channels all driving a 7.X.4 Atmos System:

(2) L+R FRONT Definitive Technology BP9080 Full Range Tower with a 455 Watt Amp driving a 12 inch Subwoofer and (2) 12 inch Passive Radiators
(1) CENTER Definitive Technology CS9080 Full Range Center Speaker with a 300 Watt Amp driving an 8 inch Subwoofer and a 10 Inch Passive Radiator
(2) L+R SURROUND Definitive Technology BP9060 Full Range Towers with a 300 Watt Amp driving an 10 inch Subwoofer and (2) 10 inch Passive Radiators
(2) SURROUND BACK Definitive Technology SR9080 Bi-Polar Speakers

All of the Subwoofer Output above serves as my LFE.

I am interest in additional extended LFE which is why I am looking at the SVS 12 inch Vertical PC-2000 or PC-2000 - Pro Subwoofer(s).

Is the App Control the main difference between the PC-2000 and PC-2000 - Pro ?
The Pro has higher dynamic output, lower distortion, enhanced and expanded menu options and the subwoofer control smart phone app.

The reason I asked about the AV processor is to determine if it EQ's the subwoofer channel (which yours does). So that would be at least one factor to consider when deciding between the Pro and the 2000 - because the Pro comes with three PEQs which are very handy if your AV processor doesn't EQ the subwoofer.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #33504 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mkerdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 3,205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
The Pro has higher dynamic output, lower distortion, enhanced and expanded menu options and the subwoofer control smart phone app.

The reason I asked about the AV processor is to determine if it EQ's the subwoofer channel (which yours does). So that would be at least one factor to consider when deciding between the Pro and the 2000 - because the Pro comes with three PEQs which are very handy if your AV processor doesn't EQ the subwoofer.
Thanks Ed.

How would you compare the PC-2000 Pro and the PB-2000 Pro Subwoofers if floor space is available for either?

Murray Kerdman
mkerdman is offline  
post #33505 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post
Thanks Ed.

How would you compare the PC-2000 Pro and the PB-2000 Pro Subwoofers if floor space is available for either?
They have very similar performance and sound quality. The PC-2000 Pro is a good choice when you want the performance of the PB-2000 Pro but simply don't have the floor space.

If floor space is not an issue - then it's really just form factor preference and visual decor integration.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #33506 of 33578 Old 06-29-2020, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Lesmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,234
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Glad you got this resolved. The power mode and the display setting function independently. The most common settings are display off, time-out 10 seconds and auto.

With this combination, the display will illuminate when you are using the app and will then go dark after 10 seconds.

When the amp drops into standby, the display will briefly illuminate and say 'goodbye'. When it wakes up from standby, the display will illuminate and show the last menu location and then it will time-out and go dark again.
Hi Ed thanks for that info I will set it up as suggested
Lesmor is offline  
post #33507 of 33578 Old 06-30-2020, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mkerdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 3,205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
They have very similar performance and sound quality. The PC-2000 Pro is a good choice when you want the performance of the PB-2000 Pro but simply don't have the floor space.

If floor space is not an issue - then it's really just form factor preference and visual decor integration.
Ed,


I have a 16'X16' Media Room with 22' Vaulted Ceilings.

What would you say would dictate being (A) happy with (1) one PC-2000 Pro, or, (A) going for (2) two?

Also what is the optimum placement of one/two Subwoofer(s) in my room with the following AVR and Speakers?


I have a Denon AVR-X4500H 9.2 Reciever (with Full Pre-Amp Outputs) 125 Watts Per Channel X 9 Channels as well as a Stereo Power Amp X 2 Channels all driving a 7.X.4 Atmos System:

(2) L+R FRONT Definitive Technology BP9080 Full Range Tower with a 455 Watt Amp driving a 12 inch Subwoofer and (2) 12 inch Passive Radiators
(1) CENTER Definitive Technology CS9080 Full Range Center Speaker with a 300 Watt Amp driving an 8 inch Subwoofer and a 10 Inch Passive Radiator
(2) L+R SURROUND Definitive Technology BP9060 Full Range Towers with a 300 Watt Amp driving an 10 inch Subwoofer and (2) 10 inch Passive Radiators
(2) SURROUND BACK Definitive Technology SR9080 Bi-Polar Speakers

All of the Subwoofer Output above serves as my LFE.

Thanks in advance.

Murray Kerdman
mkerdman is offline  
post #33508 of 33578 Old 06-30-2020, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,368
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1603 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post
Ed,


I have a 16'X16' Media Room with 22' Vaulted Ceilings.

What would you say would dictate being (A) happy with (1) one PC-2000 Pro, or, (A) going for (2) two?

Also what is the optimum placement of one/two Subwoofer(s) in my room with the following AVR and Speakers?


I have a Denon AVR-X4500H 9.2 Reciever (with Full Pre-Amp Outputs) 125 Watts Per Channel X 9 Channels as well as a Stereo Power Amp X 2 Channels all driving a 7.X.4 Atmos System:

(2) L+R FRONT Definitive Technology BP9080 Full Range Tower with a 455 Watt Amp driving a 12 inch Subwoofer and (2) 12 inch Passive Radiators
(1) CENTER Definitive Technology CS9080 Full Range Center Speaker with a 300 Watt Amp driving an 8 inch Subwoofer and a 10 Inch Passive Radiator
(2) L+R SURROUND Definitive Technology BP9060 Full Range Towers with a 300 Watt Amp driving an 10 inch Subwoofer and (2) 10 inch Passive Radiators
(2) SURROUND BACK Definitive Technology SR9080 Bi-Polar Speakers

All of the Subwoofer Output above serves as my LFE.

Thanks in advance.
If it's an option within your budget and space, always dual

I have a very similar setup as you but with dual PB4000's (although a bigger room). Dual subwoofers would allow you to get smoother combined response (and more SPL) and more flexibility to integrate your bass managed speakers.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / SVS PB-4000 / Def Tech 9060 Series
pbz06 is online now  
post #33509 of 33578 Old 06-30-2020, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mkerdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 3,205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
If it's an option within your budget and space, always dual

I have a very similar setup as you but with dual PB4000's (although a bigger room). Dual subwoofers would allow you to get smoother combined response (and more SPL) and more flexibility to integrate your bass managed speakers.
Thanks for the input.
pbz06 likes this.

Murray Kerdman
mkerdman is offline  
post #33510 of 33578 Old 07-01-2020, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bgillyjcu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 3,035
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Pulled the trigger on the PB-13 amp upgrade. I have the original 750watt Bash Amp....so for $400 to move up to this 1200 watt beast with better DSP just made sense.

I also don't have the most modern receiver right now, so having the ability to use the app to flatten my curve a bit more will really help!

Plus who knows...maybe I will build a sub and use the old Bash Amp in it. &#x1f601;

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews
 

bgillyjcu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off