Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 762 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44448Likes

post #22831 of 31345 Old 01-11-2016, 07:08 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5368 Post(s)
Liked: 10015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNZone View Post
When I setup Audessy, it put my sub at -7. Now I'm going to +12. The dial on the subwoofer is at 60%. If I set the sub dial any higher, it gives me -12dB which would be bad. And Yeah it's a Denon.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume that any increase in the sub dial takes you to -12. If so, that wouldn't be ideal. But going up 19db from where Audyssey set it is a lot--approximately 4 times the volume. If you really need that much more, then you probably need a bigger sub, or a pair of subs. Good luck with it.
TomC1315 likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22832 of 31345 Old 01-11-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
When I setup Audessy, it put my sub at -7. Now I'm going to +12. The dial on the subwoofer is at 60%. If I set the sub dial any higher, it gives me -12dB which would be bad. And Yeah it's a Denon.

I would rather run the sub to where it hits -12 and adjust accordingly than run it to +12. +12 is one bloated bass signal.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #22833 of 31345 Old 01-11-2016, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Official SVS Owners/Support Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
I assume that any increase in the sub dial takes you to -12. If so, that wouldn't be ideal. But going up 19db from where Audyssey set it is a lot--approximately 4 times the volume. If you really need that much more, then you probably need a bigger sub, or a pair of subs. Good luck with it.

It's less that I need it and more like I want to see what too much sub is like or whether I like running a super amount of bass. If I really just like more and more bass, I will probably get a second PB2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
I would rather run the sub to where it hits -12 and adjust accordingly than run it to +12. +12 is one bloated bass signal.

So what is the major difference between setting my sub dial higher vs a bloated signal request? I am of the mind that if my dial is only 60%, there is so much overhead I should be unable to damage to actual subwoofer no matter what setting.

Last edited by DNZone; 01-11-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22834 of 31345 Old 01-11-2016, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
It's less that I need it and more like I want to see what too much sub is like or whether I like running a super amount of bass. If I really just like more and more bass, I will probably get a second PB2000.

So what is the major difference between setting my sub dial higher vs a bloated signal request? I am of the mind that if my dial is only 60%, there is so much overhead I should be unable to damage to actual subwoofer no matter what setting.

Your sub's amp is better equipped to handle the bass, just plain and simple. The amp in your sub is built to be able to handle the output to its max -even though you wouldn't want to do that - as opposed to the receiver which is just bloating the signal, which results in some nasty boomy bass. If you want to read some more on the subject, go to the Audyssey thread, which recommends never going over +3.5 db.
DNZone likes this.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #22835 of 31345 Old 01-11-2016, 08:09 PM

Official SVS Owners/Support Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Your sub's amp is better equipped to handle the bass, just plain and simple. The amp in your sub is built to be able to handle the output to its max -even though you wouldn't want to do that - as opposed to the receiver which is just bloating the signal, which results in some nasty boomy bass. If you want to read some more on the subject, go to the Audyssey thread, which recommends never going over +3.5 db.

Didn't know this and I actually read through quite a lot of the Audessy thread. I guess I will just turn up the dial and recalibrate. Keep it under 0. at 80%, definitely going to be -12. Always learn something new here, thanks! Think I know how I will go about this now.

post #22836 of 31345 Old 01-11-2016, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3215 Post(s)
Liked: 2525
Quote:
If the AVR signal is so high it becomes distorted then the sub amp is amplifying distortion. Not good.
Tom Riddle likes this.
post #22837 of 31345 Old 01-11-2016, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
I think I may have an issue with one of my PC13-Ultra's.

I bought my 1st one in 2013. It seemed to turn off during movies, then turn on after the signal is present. I thought it was normal. This one also makes a "pop-pop" sound, even when off.

I bought my 2nd last June. That one turns on really fast and stays on throughout the movie.

Might the 1st sub amp be bad?

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #22838 of 31345 Old 01-11-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

I bought my 1st one in 2013. It seemed to turn off during movies, then turn on after the signal is present. I thought it was normal. This one also makes a "pop-pop" sound, even when off.

I bought my 2nd last June. That one turns on really fast and stays on throughout the movie.

Seems to me that if it makes any kind of sound when off then somethings wrong.
post #22839 of 31345 Old 01-11-2016, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's what I'm thinking. Seems the input sensitivity is bad, since it won't turn on when the other one does. Time to make that call...1-800-Bigg-Ed.
TomC1315 likes this.

post #22840 of 31345 Old 01-12-2016, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
No, I just happened to check and there they were. Seems in the early afternoon they add stuff to the outlet. I know when I was looking for a PB12-NSD last year I would check their outlet early afternoon during the week.
Ok. That's a good tip. However it would be hard to check it at that time during work hours.
But let's see..
Thanks
post #22841 of 31345 Old 01-12-2016, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
If the AVR signal is so high it becomes distorted then the sub amp is amplifying distortion. Not good.
Does the DSP do anything to help protect against distortion? After Audyssey (set the subs at -10.5), I found that I have to goose them AVR trim to -5 just to break even (as determined by Spears & Munsil), and then I went up another 2db. I had been using DynEQ, and I tend to listen between -7 to-15 below reference. I found that DynEQ boosts the LFE significantly (well beyond the 3dB hot w/out DynEQ), so I am wondering if I was feeding the subs (2PC13Us) distortion at high levels, and if I should be concerned? I did find, however, that I prefer to leave DynEQ off, if only because of the unnatural boost given to the surrounds...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #22842 of 31345 Old 01-12-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
Does the DSP do anything to help protect against distortion? After Audyssey (set the subs at -10.5), I found that I have to goose them AVR trim to -5 just to break even (as determined by Spears & Munsil), and then I went up another 2db. I had been using DynEQ, and I tend to listen between -7 to-15 below reference. I found that DynEQ boosts the LFE significantly (well beyond the 3dB hot w/out DynEQ), so I am wondering if I was feeding the subs (2PC13Us) distortion at high levels, and if I should be concerned? I did find, however, that I prefer to leave DynEQ off, if only because of the unnatural boost given to the surrounds...
The DSP is going to act as the limiter so it will help in that manner. Audyssey is pretty well known to go very easy on the low end. Personally I'm running 6db hot on my sub and I've never gotten any kind of distortion. Honestly I believe that there is more that I could get out of my subs if I wanted to, but the bass would start getting overwhelming. I wouldn't really worry about running the bass hot, as long as you're not doing anything too dramatic.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #22843 of 31345 Old 01-12-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolplazma View Post
I'm curious how much of a performance difference there may be when laying a PC on the floor on its side?

My HT sub placement space is limited, however the entire front area under my pj screen is available... hence the horizontal PC thought.

Dual SB2000 subs would be a nice size, but I get the impression from the forum that these sealed subs don't move air/punch like the ported subs.
I've got my PC-13 Ultra on it's side (for the same reason you're thinking about it)and I've not had any trouble. As far as I can tell it's had zero effect on the performance of the sub. Just made sure that if you lay it on it's side that the AMP is facing up.

post #22844 of 31345 Old 01-12-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked: 2414
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolplazma View Post
I'm curious how much of a performance difference there may be when laying a PC on the floor on its side?

My HT sub placement space is limited, however the entire front area under my pj screen is available... hence the horizontal PC thought.

Dual SB2000 subs would be a nice size, but I get the impression from the forum that these sealed subs don't move air/punch like the ported subs.
Ive read of a couple of people who laid their cylinder subs on the side and didn't have any problem. I think, for me at least, I would take the base plate off (PB12 models) and see if it makes any difference or improvement in performance or quality.
post #22845 of 31345 Old 01-12-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ive read of a couple of people who laid their cylinder subs on the side and didn't have any problem. I think, for me at least, I would take the base plate off (PB12 models) and see if it makes any difference or improvement in performance or quality.
I did that and saw absolutely no change. My measurements before and after were basically identical. I ended up putting it back on as an extra layer of protection for the driver.

post #22846 of 31345 Old 01-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
The DSP is going to act as the limiter so it will help in that manner. Audyssey is pretty well known to go very easy on the low end. Personally I'm running 6db hot on my sub and I've never gotten any kind of distortion. Honestly I believe that there is more that I could get out of my subs if I wanted to, but the bass would start getting overwhelming. I wouldn't really worry about running the bass hot, as long as you're not doing anything too dramatic.

I run both my PB13s up 12db after audyssey. But I don't ever play reference. Maybe around 60-65 on my onkyo. And usually reference is around 80 on the amp.

post #22847 of 31345 Old 01-12-2016, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I have pc13's on their side. I emailed SVS and they said it's no problem with the amp facing up.
I tried taking the base plate off, but I was paranoid it was designed to perform with that right infront of the driver, I put it back on.
post #22848 of 31345 Old 01-13-2016, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I actually have some experience with the 'pop-pop' sound when off. My PB 12+ did this shortly after I got it. I would drive me nuts. We'd be sitting in the living room and all of the sudden it'd make that sound when everything was off. I searched around on Google to no avail. I called SVS...twice. They'd never heard of that happening. I swapped out cables, still it persisted. SVS suggested that I remove the Sub cable and see if it did it then, removing the AVR as a possibility of sending a signal. I did that, and never heard it, but the sound was always random. Sometimes I wouldn't hear it for a few days..well because it's in the living room and I wasn't going to nor couldn't just sit there waiting for it. That and the fact that I'd always forget that the cable wasn't connected when going to watch something and it being a PITA to pull the sub from the wall and connect the cable again.

I kept scouring the interwebs looking for an answer and finally came across a thread from another SVS owner somewhere who figured out it was the auto on/off. If he set it to On instead of Auto it alleviated the issue. I set mine to On and haven't heard it since. I believe it might be due to a low input signal from my AVR. Someone else suggested using a splitter and connecting to both inputs on the sub as some AVR's have low input (Pioneer being one of them). I haven't tried that yet, but now that I've seen this thread, I'll find one and hook it up this week.

That said, if your second one isn't doing it, I'm having my suspicions that maybe the amp, or part of it, the auto on/off piece, is bad...mine included. Please keep us posted on your findings.

Sony 75" XBR75X940D - Panasonic DMP‑UB900 4K UHD Player - Nvidia Shield
Denon AVR‑X6200W Receiver
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 L/R - ProCenter 2000 - ProMonitor 1000 x 4 - DI 5.5R x 2
SVS PB12-Plus & SVS PC12-Plus Subwoofers

Last edited by WarmongerX; 01-13-2016 at 06:45 AM.
post #22849 of 31345 Old 01-13-2016, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmongerX View Post
I actually have some experience with the 'pop-pop' sound when off. My PB 12+ did this shortly after I got it. I would drive me nuts. We'd be sitting in the living room and all of the sudden it'd make that sound when everything was off. I searched around on Google to no avail. I called SVS...twice. They'd never heard of that happening. I swapped out cables, still it persisted. SVS suggested that I remove the Sub cable and see if it did it then, removing the AVR as a possibility of sending a signal. I did that, and never heard it, but the sound was always random. Sometimes I wouldn't hear it for a few days..well because it's in the living room and I wasn't going to nor couldn't just sit there waiting for it. That and the fact that I'd always forget that the cable wasn't connected when going to watch something and it being a PITA to pull the sub from the wall and connect the cable again.

I kept scouring the interwebs looking for an answer and finally came across a thread from another SVS owner somewhere who figured out it was the auto on/off. If he set it to On instead of Auto it alleviated the issue. I set mine to On and haven't heard it since. I believe it might be due to a low input signal from my AVR. Someone else suggested using a splitter and connecting to both inputs on the sub as some AVR's have low input (Pioneer being one of them). I haven't tried that yet, but now that I've seen this thread, I'll find one and hook it up this week.

That said, if your second one isn't doing it, I'm having my suspicions that maybe the amp, or part of it, the auto on/off piece, is bad...mine included. Please keep us posted on your findings.
I have both subs hooked up with a y-connector off my Blu-ray player. So, both subs are getting the same signal. My newest sub doesn't make a noise and turns on way before my oldest sub does.

I'll post more when I find out more.

post #22850 of 31345 Old 01-14-2016, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Quote:

I have both subs hooked up with a y-connector off my Blu-ray player. So, both subs are getting the same signal. My newest sub doesn't make a noise and turns on way before my oldest sub does.

I once had a similar issue with my pb2000s. I contacted Svs and they hot swapped me two new amps. I haven't had a problem since.
post #22851 of 31345 Old 01-14-2016, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Quote:

I once had a similar issue with my pb2000s. I contacted Svs and they hot swapped me two new amps. I haven't had a problem since.
post #22852 of 31345 Old 01-14-2016, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph10704 View Post
OK so as some of you guy's know i been working on getting myself a PB13 ULTRA.Now i got some really good new's to share wit everyone who might want to take the advantage on this one because i do not know just yet if this is going on for EVER.But it might be forever who know's.OK now as most of you know on SVS you can get dual svs sub's or your choice for a discounted price tag.Now that's wonderful right.Yeah well if you live in new york state it's not becaus eyou have to pay for the tax and that crap is not cheap.So a few week's ago i went ton ONECALL,And i know they sell svs gear there .In fact like you all know svs and onecall are best buddy's they sell alot of gear for them.So anyway's while i was looking on there svs stuff on ONECALL.i scream for joy .And was sooooo happy for what i seen.And i told myself thank god i waited.Because Now people ONECALL NOW SELLS SVS DUAL SUBS FOR THE SAME PRICE TAG'S AS SVS DOES.AND THEY DONT CHARGE NEW YORK STATE TAX PEOPLE.SO DUAL PB13 ULTRAS ARE $3,799.00.AND TO ADD THAT SUCKER OFF TAX SEASON IS HERE BOY'S AND LOOK'S LIKE THAT WILL HELP MY OUT AND BUNCH LMAO HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I FEEL LIKE IF I BOUGHT DUAL PB13 ULTRAS TO GO WITH MY KLIPSCH RF-7 II SETUP.I WOULD BE A FOR SURE EPIC KING LMAO. IN THE MOVIE THEATER AND GAMEING DEPARTMENT IN MY LIVIENG ROOM .So what should i do buy dual in the spring time.because i am really thinkign about doing that .ust need to wait for the tax check.and a little more money.
Didn't know 14 year olds made that kind of money.

LMAO
post #22853 of 31345 Old 01-14-2016, 06:50 AM

Just reporting back. Have since set my pb2000 at 90% on the dial. I am loving the excessive amount of bass I am getting from this thing and have settled at -5 in the Audessy settings. Hope my sub doesn't get damaged but man, it makes everything sound better to me! I guess I am a noobie bass head. Forget that neutral signal!

Maybe it is just my imagination but when I hear some people talking, there seems to be a lot more bass going on. Do human voices go sub 80hz? Thought our range was mostly 200 to 1000. Generally feel like I've boosted my system by a lot with this bass addition.

mthomas47 likes this.
post #22854 of 31345 Old 01-14-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Jesus joseph...reading your rambling run-on posts is like staring into the sun for an hour...can't focus...can't read....don't care.
mylan, tang7969, tommaazz and 3 others like this.
post #22855 of 31345 Old 01-14-2016, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Maybe it is just my imagination but when I hear some people talking, there seems to be a lot more bass going on. Do human voices go sub 80hz? Thought our range was mostly 200 to 1000. Generally feel like I've boosted my system by a lot with this bass addition.
Subwoofers most certainly help with deep voices! Your crossover really determines how much the subwoofer is used for voices. Also remember that AVR crossovers are mostly/always 12dB octaves so even if you cross at 80Hz, you're going to still get a good amount of frequencies below the crossover point from those channels passing to the subwoofer.

I believe this YouTube channel is BassThatHz here on the forums, but this is a good demonstration of low-end differences has on voice. For what it's worth, I do like keeping my center crossed at 80Hz but my mains at 100Hz so the voices don't get too "chesty" from all the low end. It's amazing what 20Hz difference can make on that center!

Travis
DNZone likes this.
post #22856 of 31345 Old 01-14-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Just reporting back. Have since set my pb2000 at 90% on the dial. I am loving the excessive amount of bass I am getting from this thing and have settled at -5 in the Audessy settings. Hope my sub doesn't get damaged but man, it makes everything sound better to me! I guess I am a noobie bass head. Forget that neutral signal!

All speakers set to small?
post #22857 of 31345 Old 01-14-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
All speakers set to small?

Yes, there was this one old guy speaking in some Chinese war drama and I swear, he had way too much bass and "oomph" coming out of him since I turned up my bass. I know it didn't sound like that because the previous episodes he did not sound like that at all.

post #22858 of 31345 Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, there was this one old guy speaking in some Chinese war drama and I swear, he had way too much bass and "oomph" coming out of him since I turned up my bass. I know it didn't sound like that because the previous episodes he did not sound like that at all.
Then maybe its the source.
post #22859 of 31345 Old 01-14-2016, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey gang been trying to dial in my SVS PB2000. My room is 10x13x8 ft high. I have put up lots of dampening panels and 16 bass traps (foam) in the back corners and along the back wall corner as well. I raised my sub's dial to about 3/4 capacity, set my phase to 0 (sub is in front left side of room) and maxed out the crossover frequency dial in back of the sub. I ran DCAC to calibrate my surrounds and fronts, they are all balanced and sound great. Now my sub seems to be a bit tricky. I tried to decibel match my sub using the AVR's pink noise (test tone) but my sub is way too loud that way. What test tones do you recommend I use to calibrate my sub?

Cheers.
post #22860 of 31345 Old 01-14-2016, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Hey guys, want to give my subs little work out where is that scene on Mad Max Furry road what is hard on subs? I really don'r want to watch it all tonight.
Thanks

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Apple 4K TV, Mac mini, Sony UBP-X800, PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page