Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 888 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44631Likes

post #26611 of 31618 Old 10-26-2017, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

Like a lot of audio questions, I think that the issue of room gain is complicated. For instance, there are different kinds of gain that we lump together under the general category of room gain. If your subwoofer is close to a wall (or even more so if it is in a corner) the SPL will be amplified by boundary gain. And, that will happen irrespective of the room size or room geometry.

Room size and geometry, on the other hand, do affect room gain caused by room modes. In a very small room (<1500^3), room gain can start as low as about 30Hz and can be a very significant factor in the overall sound at 20Hz and below. In a very large room (mine is 6000^3) room mode gain may be only 3db at 20Hz. So, there will be much less SPL added to what the sub can produce naturally (and with some boundary gain).

On the plus side, though, is the issue of listening distance. All rooms will provide some amount of room gain from the combination of boundary gain and room mode gain. If you sit fairly close to your sub(s) even in a large room, you will hear and feel much more SPL and tactile energy than you would if you were very distant from them. In an anechoic space, each doubling of distance attenuates the SPL by 6db. In-room, the attenuation is more like 3db for each doubling of distance. But, that distance from your sub(s) is an important factor when you try to determine what your probable SPL will be.

With respect to your specific situation, your actual listening area is fairly compact. Bass frequencies will continue to travel beyond your listening position, but they would do that even if you had walls behind your listening position. The long bass waves would just go through the walls. You won't be getting as much room mode gain in that large space as you would if you had walls around your listening area. But, your proximity to your sub could be much worse.

Regardless of the size or geometry of the room, and the theoretical implications of those factors though, the decision of how much bass is enough is a purely personal one. And, it is based much more on actual listening levels, and preferred amounts of bass boost than it is on room size. Adding a second sub could be a very good thing to do for several reasons. Whether two PB2000's will ultimately be enough for you is a question that only you can answer. Fortunately, it is pretty painless to find out by using the free 45-day trial period.

One thing that I would add is that our interests in having more bass can be a little bit addictive. So, I would err on the side of having a little too much low frequency headroom rather than on the side of just barely having enough. But, as noted above, how much is enough for your specific situation and preferences is something that only you can determine. And, that is going to take a certain degree of trial-and-error. Adding a second PB2000, and returning it if necessary, might be a good starting point. I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike
Bass is complicated man! I appreciate the help, it definitely gives me some ideas and considerations. Overall, I'm happy with my PB2000 and I think adding a second will likely be enough. My biggest complaint is the lack of pressure felt from 17hz and under. It's clear that it's capable at those frequencies, I just wonder if a 15" or 18" wouldn't be significantly better at pressurizing the room and allowing me to "feel" the bass at those lower frequencies. But, as you said. The 45 day in home trial would definitely allow me to see if a second one would suffice.
mthomas47 and Louis Bartay like this.

Equipment - Silverticket 100" - Epson 5040UB - Denon X4300H - Pioneer BDP-150 - HTPC, Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield 4K - Sennheiser RS170 Headphones - APC C25B Power Filter
Speakers 5.2.4 - SVS Prime Center, Bookshelves, Satellites, 2x PB-2000, Micca R-8C (Atmos)
HTPC - Intel Core i3-3220, 8GB DDR3 1600, 1050ti 4GB, 12TB of HDD's, LG Bluray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26612 of 31618 Old 10-26-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfrog View Post
Bass is complicated man! I appreciate the help, it definitely gives me some ideas and considerations. Overall, I'm happy with my PB2000 and I think adding a second will likely be enough. My biggest complaint is the lack of pressure felt from 17hz and under. It's clear that it's capable at those frequencies, I just wonder if a 15" or 18" wouldn't be significantly better at pressurizing the room and allowing me to "feel" the bass at those lower frequencies. But, as you said. The 45 day in home trial would definitely allow me to see if a second one would suffice.
The PB2000 is tuned to 17hz. Output below that drops rapidly. The lower the frequency the more dbs are needed in order for the those frequencies to be noticeable or useful.

Even with room gain, you're not going to get a lot of help below the tuning point of a ported sub. There are ported subs that extend a little lower that have the output for it to be useful, but they are large and expensive- SVS PB16 for example. Even then it's not like you're going to get single digit output.

Those that have systems that are capable at the lower frequencies tend to have small rooms with multiple, large driver sealed subs.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #26613 of 31618 Old 10-26-2017, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I ran YPAO on my Yamaha receiver with the PB-1000. With sub volume at 2 o'clock, YPAO set the sub volume at -3.5 db. Is that too low? By the way, SVS customer service told me to turn the sub volume to 4 o'clock before running auto setup, which is almost full volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26614 of 31618 Old 10-27-2017, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyW View Post
I ran YPAO on my Yamaha receiver with the PB-1000. With sub volume at 2 o'clock, YPAO set the sub volume at -3.5 db. Is that too low? By the way, SVS customer service told me to turn the sub volume to 4 o'clock before running auto setup, which is almost full volume.
Everything you asked was literally just explained in the previous page......

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #26615 of 31618 Old 11-09-2017, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
I just found this thread earlier today and since I'm now a happy owner of ALL SVS SPEAKERS I thought I should chime in. I've owned the SVS PC-12 sub for several years and recently I purchased a Denon 4300 AVR to set up a 5.1.4 system so I purchased the SVS Prime Elevation speakers. Last week I decided to replace my mains and surrounds (Cambridge Soundworks MC305s and Ambiance) with 4 Prime Bookshelf speakers and the Prime Center. WOW! What a difference in sound! I've been "breaking them in" by listening to music and the sound stage is so much better than the CS speakers and I'm hearing nuances I didn't know were there.

Here's a picture of my setup:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1510282034

For those of you wondering how the Prime Elevation speakers sound mounted on the Side Walls, they sound amazing! I have nearly 50 UHD Blu-rays with either a Dolby Atmos or DTS:X mix and I can't wait to watch and LISTEN to all of them again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3635.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	2313046  

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 11-09-2017 at 10:07 PM.
post #26616 of 31618 Old 11-10-2017, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I just found this thread earlier today and since I'm now a happy owner of ALL SVS SPEAKERS I thought I should chime in. I've owned the SVS PC-12 sub for several years and recently I purchased a Denon 4300 AVR to set up a 5.1.4 system so I purchased the SVS Prime Elevation speakers. Last week I decided to replace my mains and surrounds (Cambridge Soundworks MC305s and Ambiance) with 4 Prime Bookshelf speakers and the Prime Center. WOW! What a difference in sound! I've been "breaking them in" by listening to music and the sound stage is so much better than the CS speakers and I'm hearing nuances I didn't know were there.

Here's a picture of my setup:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1510282034

For those of you wondering how the Prime Elevation speakers sound mounted on the Side Walls, they sound amazing! I have nearly 50 UHD Blu-rays with either a Dolby Atmos or DTS:X mix and I can't wait to watch and LISTEN to all of them again!

That's a nice setup. I'm thinking about upgrading myself soon. I might get the SVS Ultra 13 or 16. Not sure which. I love the new DSP on the 16inch though. Prime elevation look sexy.
djoberg and Matt2026 like this.
post #26617 of 31618 Old 11-10-2017, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaproject View Post
That's a nice setup. I'm thinking about upgrading myself soon. I might get the SVS Ultra 13 or 16. Not sure which. I love the new DSP on the 16inch though. Prime elevation look sexy.
Thanks for the compliment! I consider my "Home Theater" to be quite modest compared with many others, but I am more than satisfied with the room and the equipment (though I would love to get the LG 77" OLED someday if they ever come down in price from their current location in the stratosphere) . The SVS speakers have really been "the icing on the cake," though I MAY have one more upgrade in mind...either another sub to add to my PC-12 (I'd get the PC-2000), or I'd replace the PC-12 with the SB16-Ultra.

I agree with you regarding the Prime Elevation speakers; they do look good. And they sound even better than they look! I have the two Fronts located 42" from the MLP and the two Backs are also 42" from the MLP. The dispersion is excellent and there is usually pinpoint accuracy when there are panning and discreet effects. The immersion of the musical score in a movie is also a real treat, thanks to the Height Speakers.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #26618 of 31618 Old 11-10-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 25729
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaproject View Post
Here's a nice review of an SVS Ultra 7.2.4 setup: The Ultimate SVS Ultra 7.2.4 Atmos System Review

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #26619 of 31618 Old 11-10-2017, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
Here's a nice review of an SVS Ultra 7.2.4 setup: The Ultimate SVS Ultra 7.2.4 Atmos System Review
Thanks Ken for the review; it has to be the most exhaustive review I've ever read! Todd knows his stuff!!

There was one really big problem though after reading it. Can you guess what that is? The problem is: Now I want to replace my Prime speakers with the Ultra speakers! Just kidding, of course. As I said before, I'm extremely satisfied with the "step down" Primes. The fact is some reviewers have compared both and said that the Primes come very close to the Ultras (the engineers employed much of the same material used in the Ultras for the Bookshelf and Center speakers, and no doubt in the Towers as well). The Primes have a very deep sound-stage with excellent dispersion, clarity, and precision. I love the smooth highs, even mid-range and the depth of bass.

One big advantage I've found in having all SVS speakers is the obvious: a TIMBRE MATCH!! It really is seamless, whereas before I could tell the difference in speakers when a voice or some panning object was making its way through various speakers. I am one Happy Camper!
Matt2026 and Duckbacker like this.

post #26620 of 31618 Old 11-10-2017, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
That was a very nice write up.That will be my 7.2.4 setup with the exception of four surrounds instead of the book shelves in a <1600 cubic foot dedicated room by mid spring. I just received dual SB16-Ultras two weeks ago and I can't wait to complete the all SVS setup. I am even considering replacing my four Atmos in ceiling speakers with four Prime Elevations.
djoberg and Matt2026 like this.

Sony XBR-85X900F 85-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV; Denon AVR-X8500H (Dolby Atmos 7.2.6/DTS:X 7.2.4/Auro-3D 13.2); Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Amplifier; SVS Ultra Towers; SVS Ultra Center Channel; (4) SVS Ultra Surround Speakers; (12) SVS Prime Elevations for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D; Dual SVS SB16-Ultra Subwoofers w/SVS Soundpath Isolation System; Auralex Subdude II Isolation Pads; Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray Player; Panamax M5400 Power Conditioner
post #26621 of 31618 Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 PM
rkj

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
New SVS subs to be announced soon?

https://www.eventbrite.com/o/svs-9877573377

Last edited by rkj; 11-10-2017 at 11:44 PM.
post #26622 of 31618 Old 11-11-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj View Post
Curious to see if the old Ultra line is going to get updated.
jbrazda and Duckbacker like this.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #26623 of 31618 Old 11-11-2017, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just finished watching (and LISTENING!) to my first UHD Blu-ray with a Dolby Atmos mix (Wonder Woman) since breaking in my new Prime Bookshelves and Prime Center and I was absolutely amazed at the quality of sound that I experienced. Dare I say it was "audio NIRVANA?!"

If you are familiar with this Blu-ray, you know it is a LOUD and ACTIVE mix. I listened at -10 all the way through and I felt like I was sitting in the sweet spot in a "state of art" Dolby Cinema...it was that good! The bass was incredible with "waves of energy" rolling across my legs and chest at times. The dialogue from the Prime Center was crystal-clear. The Prime Elevation speakers were spot-on accurate with each panning and discreet effect. And last, but not least, the Prime Bookshelves created such a deep sound-stage with amazing clarity and phenomenal bass that I was blown away. Let me add one more word of praise...there was ZERO DISTORTION all the way through. Again, I am one Happy Camper.

post #26624 of 31618 Old 11-11-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I should have added that the new Prime Bookshelf and Center speakers easily outperformed my former Cambridge SoundWorks Mains and Surrounds. They simply didn't have the "sound-stage" or the "range of sound" of the Primes. I have the crossover for them at 60 Hz. and the crossover for the Prime Elevation speakers at 80 Hz., resulting in a seamless sound. Of course, the perfect TIMBRE MATCH adds to the equation as well.

Reviewers of these speakers are NOT exaggerating when they say they sound like speakers costing 2-3 times more. I have owned some very expensive speakers through the years and for their relatively modest price they simply can't be beat! Oh, by the way, I have no stock in SVS and they haven't paid me anything to say this.
Matt2026, Ben Tan and Duckbacker like this.

post #26625 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I should have added that the new Prime Bookshelf and Center speakers easily outperformed my former Cambridge SoundWorks Mains and Surrounds. They simply didn't have the "sound-stage" or the "range of sound" of the Primes. I have the crossover for them at 60 Hz. and the crossover for the Prime Elevation speakers at 80 Hz., resulting in a seamless sound. Of course, the perfect TIMBRE MATCH adds to the equation as well.

Reviewers of these speakers are NOT exaggerating when they say they sound like speakers costing 2-3 times more. I have owned some very expensive speakers through the years and for their relatively modest price they simply can't be beat! Oh, by the way, I have no stock in SVS and they haven't paid me anything to say this.
Nice to hear a happy Prime owner once in a while. Something that isn't common on AVS at least, people give a lot of flack to these speakers and many even discourage others just by "hear-say".

To answer your earlier question; I too was a Prime owner who upgraded to the Ultra line for the LCR.

I'll tell you this much, the Ultras are not twice better than the Primes - for twice the price. Are the improvements noticeable? Absolutely, especially in the 1khz-8khz range which is what MANY people say is the main weakness of the Primes (which I agree). The Ultras in this treble range is just a lot smoother, it has almost no fatigue and it has noticeably more detail in this frequency range.

But aside from that obvious difference, everything else is rather subtle. Sure the midbass on the Ultra Bookshelfs are a little more tout, a little tighter and it has a little more presence, but that's really it. It's not a day and night "omg I've been missing this foundation all this while?!" kind of difference. People who say so otherwise ought to check their speaker placement instead.

Is it worth upgrading to the Ultras? For the L/R, objectively - no IF your focus is 90% movies. If music is important especially for female vocals and jazz, then yes - the Ultras will be a decent upgrade.

The center channel however is worth the upgrade. When I changed the Prime center to the Ultra center, dialogue in movies was an immediate was an improvement. But more importantly, when played at near reference the Ultra Center's larger midrange driver was more capable in holding itself where as the Prime center exhibited audible distortion. Also since you cross your mains at 60hz, the Ultra center definitely has more midbass punch in comparison to the Prime center, definitely more than enough to fill the 60-80hz gap where the latter only just has enough. It's another noticeable improvement there IMO. Also as mentioned earlier, the smoother tweeter helps tame down a lot of peaky female voices which can lead to fatigue all the while still having that pristine clarity.

The Prime Center to Ultra Center upgrade was the most worth it and most noticeable one if you ask me. So if you want an upgrade, aim for the center first. And don't worry, the Prime and Ultras do timbre match. I ran with the Prime bookshelfs L/R with an Ultra center for nearly a year before I found a good deal on the Ultra bookshelfs. I play a lot of games, so soundstage accuracy is of utmost importance to me. At no point did I find that there was any obvious "hole" in the soundstage or weird tonality shifts.

Hope that helps.
djoberg, Matt2026 and Magellan55 like this.

Dual Rythmik FV15HP

Last edited by Ben Tan; 11-15-2017 at 12:27 AM.
post #26626 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 04:17 AM

This Friday continues my changeover from Def Tech/RSL to an all SVS 7.2.4 sound system. In addition to the dual SB16-Ultra subs purchased three weeks ago, having sold the last of my RSL Speedwoofer 10S subs yesterday, my four in-ceiling RSL C34E Atmos speakers are being removed with the drywall installer taking care of the 10" holes left behind. I thoroughly enjoyed the C34Es for the slightly over one year that I had them but due to ceiling joist constraints they could not be precisely located in the sweet spot for their intention. The aimable drivers were a help but I always felt that I was missing the ultimate Atmos soundstage. I will now be able to locate the SVS Prime Elevations exactly where they need to be.

In much the same way as the RSLs not being the best fit for my viewing room, so too are the former flagship Def Tech BP-8080ST Bi-polar Super Towers. While matching ideally with everything in my system, I simply don't have the needed space behind the speakers to allow them to perform at their best. While this is still a drawback with any speaker, it will be less of an issue with the Ultra Towers.

With my eye on the remainder of the SVS system, I should have everything in place no later than March 1, sooner if SVS ever has a price drop on the Ultra Towers/Ultra Center/Ultra Surround package. I must admit that I have been on the fence with this package for some time now but it was Todd Anderson's review of this system some three months ago that tipped the scales firmly in the all SVS camp. I am more than confident that I will not be disappointed. I expect that my slightly under 1600 cubic foot dedicated room should be well pressured for many Dolby Atmos/DTS-X presentations to come. Knowing my buying habits I wouldn't be surprised if Dunkirk was the first disc to be viewed/heard with the new look.

Sony XBR-85X900F 85-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV; Denon AVR-X8500H (Dolby Atmos 7.2.6/DTS:X 7.2.4/Auro-3D 13.2); Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Amplifier; SVS Ultra Towers; SVS Ultra Center Channel; (4) SVS Ultra Surround Speakers; (12) SVS Prime Elevations for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D; Dual SVS SB16-Ultra Subwoofers w/SVS Soundpath Isolation System; Auralex Subdude II Isolation Pads; Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray Player; Panamax M5400 Power Conditioner
post #26627 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckbacker View Post
I expect that my slightly under 1600 cubic foot dedicated room should be well pressured for many Dolby Atmos/DTS-X presentations to come. Knowing my buying habits I wouldn't be surprised if Dunkirk was the first disc to be viewed/heard with the new look.
My room is 1650cu ft. and I only have dual SB2000s. No problem for my subs to go down to 17hz with authority actually. SB16U in an even smaller room? Easy peasy.

Dual Rythmik FV15HP
post #26628 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckbacker View Post
With my eye on the remainder of the SVS system, I should have everything in place no later than March 1, sooner if SVS ever has a price drop on the Ultra Towers/Ultra Center/Ultra Surround package. I must admit that I have been on the fence with this package for some time now but it was Todd Anderson's review of this system some three months ago that tipped the scales firmly in the all SVS camp. I am more than confident that I will not be disappointed. I expect that my slightly under 1600 cubic foot dedicated room should be well pressured for many Dolby Atmos/DTS-X presentations to come. Knowing my buying habits I wouldn't be surprised if Dunkirk was the first disc to be viewed/heard with the new look.
If you buy the surrounds now, I think you should be eligible for a 5% returning customer discount when you're ready to buy the Ultra package, unless they've changed their policy

After buying my Ultra Center I made 3 additional purchases. I called them before ordering and asked for a discount code which they supplied each time. The last two purchases were for a no damage bookshelf when one showed up in the Outlet store. Those were $50 off list price plus the 5% discount which helped.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #26629 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the heads up on that! Since I just ordered the Prime Elevations two days ago I'll give it a shot on the second pair of the surrounds I'll be needing before I order the Ultra package.
Matt2026 likes this.

post #26630 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello, newbie here. Just want to ask owners of PB-1000 if you set the vol. at the back of the sub at 12:00 during mic calibration or at least at 1:00? Do you find the setting at 12:00 lacks weighty feel? TIA guys.
post #26631 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb243 View Post
Hello, newbie here. Just want to ask owners of PB-1000 if you set the vol. at the back of the sub at 12:00 during mic calibration or at least at 1:00? Do you find the setting at 12:00 lacks weighty feel? TIA guys.
I use my dB SPL meter when adjusting the test tone for my 7.1 system with the room correction program. Call SVS and let them walk you thru how much gain to add to the subs input at the AVR etc and a starting point for the gain at the SVS sub if you don't have a hand help meter.
xb243 likes this.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
post #26632 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
Nice to hear a happy Prime owner once in a while. Something that isn't common on AVS at least, people give a lot of flack to these speakers and many even discourage others just by "hear-say".

To answer your earlier question; I too was a Prime owner who upgraded to the Ultra line for the LCR.

I'll tell you this much, the Ultras are not twice better than the Primes - for twice the price. Are the improvements noticeable? Absolutely, especially in the 1khz-8khz range which is what MANY people say is the main weakness of the Primes (which I agree). The Ultras in this treble range is just a lot smoother, it has almost no fatigue and it has noticeably more detail in this frequency range.

But aside from that obvious difference, everything else is rather subtle. Sure the midbass on the Ultra Bookshelfs are a little more tout, a little tighter and it has a little more presence, but that's really it. It's not a day and night "omg I've been missing this foundation all this while?!" kind of difference. People who say so otherwise ought to check their speaker placement instead.

Is it worth upgrading to the Ultras? For the L/R, objectively - no IF your focus is 90% movies. If music is important especially for female vocals and jazz, then yes - the Ultras will be a decent upgrade.

The center channel however is worth the upgrade. When I changed the Prime center to the Ultra center, dialogue in movies was an immediate was an improvement. But more importantly, when played at near reference the Ultra Center's larger midrange driver was more capable in holding itself where as the Prime center exhibited audible distortion. Also since you cross your mains at 60hz, the Ultra center definitely has more midbass punch in comparison to the Prime center, definitely more than enough to fill the 60-80hz gap where the latter only just has enough. It's another noticeable improvement there IMO. Also as mentioned earlier, the smoother tweeter helps tame down a lot of peaky female voices which can lead to fatigue all the while still having that pristine clarity.

The Prime Center to Ultra Center upgrade was the most worth it and most noticeable one if you ask me. So if you want an upgrade, aim for the center first. And don't worry, the Prime and Ultras do timbre match. I ran with the Prime bookshelfs L/R with an Ultra center for nearly a year before I found a good deal on the Ultra bookshelfs. I play a lot of games, so soundstage accuracy is of utmost importance to me. At no point did I find that there was any obvious "hole" in the soundstage or weird tonality shifts.

Hope that helps.
Thanks! It was indeed helpful, though as of now I believe I will be keeping the Prime Center. So far, in listening to LOUD mixes on UHD Blu-rays, I have NOT experienced any "audible distortion." In fact, I have been thoroughly impressed with their ability to give me a true "state-of-the-art" Cinema experience. Having said that, I've only watched a few so if I do start hearing distortion I will seriously think of upgrading to the Ultra Center before my 45-day trial period ends. I should also mention that prior to buying the Primes I watched movies 95% if the time, but with the Primes I'm returning to my passion for listening to music (I have hundreds of CDs I wouldn't mind listening to again...to "hear what I've been missing"), yet SO FAR the Prime Bookshelves are doing a fantastic job!

I just ordered a PC-2000 to complement my PC12-NSD. I've been very pleased with my PC12 but at times I can "localize" my sub so I want to run duals to "even things out" and to give me "more headroom." I did ask Ed Mullen if I should buy the PC-2000 or just use my PC12 in another room and upgrade to the SB16-Ultra and he advised me to run dual subs instead. He said I will still have plenty of slam and there will be much more "smoothness" in the room with the PC12 and PC-2000 than if I had a single SB16-Ultra. Of course, if money were no object I would just get two SB16-Ultras!

post #26633 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^

I should have added that I rarely listen to Blu-rays at Reference Level! Normally it's between -12 and -5, so perhaps that's another reason why I'm not experiencing any distortion yet with the Prime Center. Again, if money were no object I believe I would have gone with Ultras all the way...Center, Bookshelves, Surrounds, and Subs!

Last edited by djoberg; 11-15-2017 at 04:40 PM.
post #26634 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! It was indeed helpful, though as of now I believe I will be keeping the Prime Center. So far, in listening to LOUD mixes on UHD Blu-rays, I have NOT experienced any "audible distortion." In fact, I have been thoroughly impressed with their ability to give me a true "state-of-the-art" Cinema experience. Having said that, I've only watched a few so if I do start hearing distortion I will seriously think of upgrading to the Ultra Center before my 45-day trial period ends. I should also mention that prior to buying the Primes I watched movies 95% if the time, but with the Primes I'm returning to my passion for listening to music (I have hundreds of CDs I wouldn't mind listening to again...to "hear what I've been missing"), yet SO FAR the Prime Bookshelves are doing a fantastic job!

I just ordered a PC-2000 to complement my PC12-NSD. I've been very pleased with my PC12 but at times I can "localize" my sub so I want to run duals to "even things out" and to give me "more headroom." I did ask Ed Mullen if I should buy the PC-2000 or just use my PC12 in another room and upgrade to the SB16-Ultra and he advised me to run dual subs instead. He said I will still have plenty of slam and there will be much more "smoothness" in the room with the PC12 and PC-2000 than if I had a single SB16-Ultra. Of course, if money were no object I would just get two SB16-Ultras!
Not trying to encourage a buy since I know you're happy with the Primes, but, should you change your mind... The gloss finish, as often happens, has scratches but the oak says no damage. I bought my second pair of bookshelves in the outlet in oak and I couldn't see any difference with them and the fronts which I bought new.

Ultra Center - Piano Outlet - 1109

$ 699.99 $ 549.99

Outlet Special: Scratches on all sides of the cabinet. See additional picture. Factory inspected and tested. 5-Year Unconditional Warranty and complete Bill of Rights coverage.

OR

Ultra Center Outlet - Black Oak

$ 699.99 $ 649.99

Outlet Special: No damage. Factory inspected and tested. 5-Year Unconditional Warranty and complete Bill of Rights coverage.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #26635 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not trying to encourage a buy since I know you're happy with the Primes, but, should you change your mind... The gloss finish, as often happens, has scratches but the oak says no damage. I bought my second pair of bookshelves in the outlet in oak and I couldn't see any difference with them and the fronts which I bought new.

Ultra Center - Piano Outlet - 1109

$ 699.99 $ 549.99

Outlet Special: Scratches on all sides of the cabinet. See additional picture. Factory inspected and tested. 5-Year Unconditional Warranty and complete Bill of Rights coverage.

OR

Ultra Center Outlet - Black Oak

$ 699.99 $ 649.99

Outlet Special: No damage. Factory inspected and tested. 5-Year Unconditional Warranty and complete Bill of Rights coverage.

Thanks Ken!

If I was actually willing to buy a Black Oak Ultra Center I WOULD return my Prime for that one, for it's only a $100 more than the Piano Gloss Prime Center that I bought. BUT...and this is big BUT, I have all Piano Gloss Speakers now, along with a Piano Gloss entertainment stand and a Piano Gloss bezel on my Sony display, so there's no way I would "ruin that look" by injecting a Black Oak Center into the mix.

BTW, the PC-2000 I just ordered IS....Piano Gloss!!!
Matt2026 likes this.

post #26636 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Ken!

If I was actually willing to buy a Black Oak Ultra Center I WOULD return my Prime for that one, for it's only a $100 more than the Piano Gloss Prime Center that I bought. BUT...and this is big BUT, I have all Piano Gloss Speakers now, along with a Piano Gloss entertainment stand and a Piano Gloss bezel on my Sony display, so there's no way I would "ruin that look" by injecting a Black Oak Center into the mix.

BTW, the PC-2000 I just ordered IS....Piano Gloss!!!
Yeah, I wouldn't mix finishes either And scratches would be difficult for me to live with no matter the cost...
djoberg likes this.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #26637 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't mix finishes either And scratches would be difficult for me to live with no matter the cost...
The PC-2000 (Piano Gloss) was an outlet special for $809 and there were no scratches or damage of any kind. And of course I got the 5% "Return Customer" discount.
Matt2026 likes this.

post #26638 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hi All,

Imminent SVS owner here. My issue is which sub to choose, what I do know is I want a SVS sub.

My room is approx 8 foot by 8 by 8.

The PB1K is a little too chunky for my space (and out of stock for 2 months) and the 2K is every more chunky.

i am looking at the SB1K or 2K. The footprint difference appears to be 1 inch in all directions.

For a room my size, is the 1K going to be fine and bring movies to life or is it worth the additional investment for the 2K (which seems to dig a fair bit deeper) given the size of my room?

Thanks for the help.
post #26639 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicronic View Post
Hi All,

Imminent SVS owner here. My issue is which sub to choose, what I do know is I want a SVS sub.

My room is approx 8 foot by 8 by 8.

The PB1K is a little too chunky for my space (and out of stock for 2 months) and the 2K is every more chunky.

i am looking at the SB1K or 2K. The footprint difference appears to be 1 inch in all directions.

For a room my size, is the 1K going to be fine and bring movies to life or is it worth the additional investment for the 2K (which seems to dig a fair bit deeper) given the size of my room?

Thanks for the help.
It depends on how much bass you like. I would go at least to the 2000 model. It's a tiny sub!
Magellan55 likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
post #26640 of 31618 Old 11-15-2017, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
It depends on how much bass you like. I would go at least to the 2000 model. It's a tiny sub!
I went for the 2K model. It should be a beast in my small room. Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page