Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 889 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45477Likes

post #26641 of 32593 Old 11-16-2017, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Thanks! It was indeed helpful, though as of now I believe I will be keeping the Prime Center. So far, in listening to LOUD mixes on UHD Blu-rays, I have NOT experienced any "audible distortion." In fact, I have been thoroughly impressed with their ability to give me a true "state-of-the-art" Cinema experience. Having said that, I've only watched a few so if I do start hearing distortion I will seriously think of upgrading to the Ultra Center before my 45-day trial period ends. I should also mention that prior to buying the Primes I watched movies 95% if the time, but with the Primes I'm returning to my passion for listening to music (I have hundreds of CDs I wouldn't mind listening to again...to "hear what I've been missing"), yet SO FAR the Prime Bookshelves are doing a fantastic job!

I just ordered a PC-2000 to complement my PC12-NSD. I've been very pleased with my PC12 but at times I can "localize" my sub so I want to run duals to "even things out" and to give me "more headroom." I did ask Ed Mullen if I should buy the PC-2000 or just use my PC12 in another room and upgrade to the SB16-Ultra and he advised me to run dual subs instead. He said I will still have plenty of slam and there will be much more "smoothness" in the room with the PC12 and PC-2000 than if I had a single SB16-Ultra. Of course, if money were no object I would just get two SB16-Ultras!
If you're happy, that's all it matters.
Don't have to fret about the Ultra center upgrade. If you don't need it, you save money! That's always a good thing. That said, remember SVS in-home trial - you can always test out the Ultra center and see how much of an upgrade it is for you.

The PC2000 is a smart choice indeed!

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26642 of 32593 Old 11-16-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 2227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
If you're happy, that's all it matters.
Don't have to fret about the Ultra center upgrade. If you don't need it, you save money! That's always a good thing. That said, remember SVS in-home trial - you can always test out the Ultra center and see how much of an upgrade it is for you.

The PC2000 is a smart choice indeed!
Having just spent $4500 on speakers, stands, cables and a new Denon AVR, I highly doubt that an upgrade would be greeted enthusiastically by the other person who resides in this home! Granted, it would only be another $250 but to the "other half" it's the principle of the matter.

Again, so far I'm quite satisfied with the Prime Center. Question: Have you read any "professional reviews" on it? I will confess they are somewhat mixed, but there are a handful of highly respected reviewers (such as AVS reviewer Mark Henninger) who are singing its praises. They all point to the fact that the same technology that is found in the Ultras are in the Primes.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #26643 of 32593 Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Having just spent $4500 on speakers, stands, cables and a new Denon AVR, I highly doubt that an upgrade would be greeted enthusiastically by the other person who resides in this home! Granted, it would only be another $250 but to the "other half" it's the principle of the matter.

Again, so far I'm quite satisfied with the Prime Center. Question: Have you read any "professional reviews" on it? I will confess they are somewhat mixed, but there are a handful of highly respected reviewers (such as AVS reviewer Mark Henninger) who are singing its praises. They all point to the fact that the same technology that is found in the Ultras are in the Primes.
I have read the professional reviews, I've watched questionable but in some ways logical reviews as well.

Audio is like food, some people like spicy some people don't.

I've opened up my primes and ultras to compare the tweeters, drivers and the crossover. I can for sure say that there are similarities between the 2 lines, but they are not identical. The crossover network for example is a little more robust on the Ultra. The tweeter on the Ultra also has some subtle differences internally although they look identical on the surface.

Then of course the woofers and mid drivers between the Ultra and Primes are of the biggest differences. The Prime drivers are based off modified Peerless XLS drivers and the Ultras, I'm not exactly sure from whom.

Don't worry, you have time to trade up. My point is - the center channel is the single most important speaker in a HT setup. You might as well dump the largest portion of your budget into it, since it handles up to 70% of content from a movie (the center don't just handle the dialogue btw).
Louis Bartay likes this.

Dual Rythmik FV15HP

Last edited by Ben Tan; 11-16-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26644 of 32593 Old 11-17-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have read the professional reviews, I've watched questionable but in some ways logical reviews as well.

Audio is like food, some people like spicy some people don't.

I've opened up my primes and ultras to compare the tweeters, drivers and the crossover. I can for sure say that there are similarities between the 2 lines, but they are not identical. The crossover network for example is a little more robust on the Ultra. The tweeter on the Ultra also has some subtle differences internally although they look identical on the surface.

Then of course the woofers and mid drivers between the Ultra and Primes are of the biggest differences. The Prime drivers are based off modified Peerless XLS drivers and the Ultras, I'm not exactly sure from whom.

Don't worry, you have time to trade up. My point is - the center channel is the single most important speaker in a HT setup. You might as well dump the largest portion of your budget into it, since it handles up to 70% of content from a movie (the center don't just handle the dialogue btw).
Sooooo.....are you saying the Ultras are SPICY and the Primes are BLAND?

Truth is, I'm loving the Prime Center as of now and I have no plans to upgrade. And guess what, if you read the MANY reviews on the Prime Center on the SVS website you'll see that I'm not alone! It is a well-designed speaker with plenty of range and in my "preferred listening level" (between -12 and -5) I am not experiencing distortion; in fact, I am thoroughly impressed with the clarity and crispness of the dialogue and ALL the sound that is handled by it.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #26645 of 32593 Old 11-18-2017, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I received my PC-2000 sub this morning and set it up tonight. Here's a pic:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1511069295

I played some music first and I was really impressed with the "better accuracy" running dual subs. I also loved the "evenness" throughout the listening area. Then I played a couple of scenes with some real LFE. When I played the scene in the UHD version of Wonder Woman where she first uses the power of her arm bands (resulting in a WAVE of energy) there was audible distortion in my PC-2000. I thought of two possible reasons for this:

1) It needs some break in time to eliminate the "rattling."
2) The woofer was actually hitting my carpet even though the sub has SoundPath Feet on it, so perhaps that contributed to the distortion.

Can anyone think of another reason, or do one of the above seem logical? I should say that after the calibration by Audyssey XT32 it set the PC-2000 to -8 and since I like running my subs a little hot I turned it to -3. Could that be the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3649.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2317924  

post #26646 of 32593 Old 11-19-2017, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

I played some music first and I was really impressed with the "better accuracy" running dual subs. I also loved the "evenness" throughout the listening area. Then I played a couple of scenes with some real LFE. When I played the scene in the UHD version of Wonder Woman where she first uses the power of her arm bands (resulting in a WAVE of energy) there was audible distortion in my PC-2000. I thought of two possible reasons for this:

2) The woofer was actually hitting my carpet even though the sub has SoundPath Feet on it, so perhaps that contributed to the distortion.

Can anyone think of another reason, or do one of the above seem logical? I should say that after the calibration by Audyssey XT32 it set the PC-2000 to -8 and since I like running my subs a little hot I turned it to -3. Could that be the problem?
At what AVR level did you listen? What crossover do you use (all speakers are small?)? I think that you might reach the limits of the subs so they cough...the wonder woman has some output below 20hz and it seems that that was the problem especially if you listened at high levels. That is why i preffer a sealed sub so that this never happens.

DENON AVR-X4300 running 5.2.4, monitor audio bx6,bx center,bx fx (4x),bx1,sub SVS sb13ultra (2x), SAMSUNG 65Q6FN, CPU AMD Ryzen5+RX580
post #26647 of 32593 Old 11-19-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
At what AVR level did you listen? What crossover do you use (all speakers are small?)? I think that you might reach the limits of the subs so they cough...the wonder woman has some output below 20hz and it seems that that was the problem especially if you listened at high levels. That is why i preffer a sealed sub so that this never happens.
I wasn't even close to Reference Level....I had it at -10. Thing is there was zero distortion coming from my PC12-NSD, both when I had listened to that scene when the PC12 was alone and then last night when running both subs.

All my speakers are set on SMALL. I have the Bookshelves and Center crossed over at 60 Hz and the Elevations at 80 Hz. From all the reviews I had read on the PC-2000 one should be able to listen to down to 16 Hz at Reference Level or near it without a hiccup coming from the PC-2000. I will reserve any real "judgment" until I hear from Ed at SVS.

post #26648 of 32593 Old 11-19-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
I have that Bluray and played it several times at reference level, my PB 13 Ultra does not "cough" with all the plugs open. I like having the option of having it sealed or open.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
post #26649 of 32593 Old 11-19-2017, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

A couple of thoughts that come to mind:
1) In the Bass settings option on your AVR you may want to adjust your LPF for LFE crossover from 120 Hz to 80 Hz, as this should clean up or tighten your low frequency bass response for your LFE channel.

2) I presently have my dual PC-2000's set at an AVR trim of -1.5 with the gain knob on the back of the subs sitting at the 1:00 O'clock position and I do not experience any distortion. Although, my subs are sitting on a hard surface floor with no carpet.

3) Edited to add two more things to try: Do a quick swap of the subwoofer cables that connect to the sub 1 and sub 2 outputs on your AVR to make sure their is not something wrong with one of your AVR's outputs. The second thing that can help is to try connecting both subs to the same wall outlet electrical circuit.

Last edited by Tgrds; 11-19-2017 at 11:20 AM.
post #26650 of 32593 Old 11-19-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgrds View Post
A couple of thoughts that come to mind:
1) In the Bass settings option on your AVR you may want to adjust your LPF for LFE crossover from 120 Hz to 80 Hz, as this should clean up or tighten your low frequency bass response for your LFE channel.

2) I presently have my dual PC-2000's set at an AVR trim of -1.5 with the gain knob on the back of the subs sitting at the 1:00 O'clock position and I do not experience any distortion. Although, my subs are sitting on a hard surface floor with no carpet.

3) Edited to add two more things to try: Do a quick swap of the subwoofer cables that connect to the sub 1 and sub 2 outputs on your AVR to make sure their is not something wrong with one of your AVR's outputs. The second thing that can help is to try connecting both subs to the same wall outlet electrical circuit.
1) I may try that, but that can't be the main problem since my PC12-NSD worked fine (and still works fine) without having to change that setting.

2) When I ran the Audyssey XT32 calibration it had me set the gain to the 11:00 position (for the required 75 Db). It ended up setting the sub to a trim level of -8 and I then turned it manually to -3.

3) I highly doubt that either the cables or the wall socket has anything to do with the distortion I'm experiencing.

BTW, I do thank you for these suggestions.

Last edited by djoberg; 11-19-2017 at 02:09 PM.
post #26651 of 32593 Old 11-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Without seeing your sub's in room response before and after Audyssey it's hard to know if the sub has actually met its limit or not. I don't know what the max Audyssey might end up lifting a particular frequency is, but if it has lifted the frequency that you heard your sub distort at by a fair amount then you might have just reached it's limit.

Even though you've read that the PC2000 should be able to reach reference at 16hz, that might be in a very forgiving room that gives the sub a lot of room gain. Take for instance my dual pb16's, they're not getting much room gain in my room and max out at 15hz at 112db (I've meassured their limit) with quite audible chuffing. It's all very room dependent

Denon X8500H -> DDRC-88BM -> NAD M27, QE65FNAT, Arendal - Tower, Center, Surroundx4, 4x XTZ S2, 2x PB16-U, Nvidia Shield, Xbox Scorpio/PS4 Pro/Switch
post #26652 of 32593 Old 11-19-2017, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2820 Post(s)
Liked: 2710
Quote:

Could be something loose inside, wires touching the driver or it's defective. SVS will of course take care of the issue. But if it rattles now it won't stop as there is no break in period.

I'd ask SVS to send a new driver and/or amp.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #26653 of 32593 Old 11-19-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

MYSTERY SOLVED!!

Well, I feel kinda stupid...but also relieved at the same time...for the "rattle" I was hearing was a cable box on the "other side of the wall" right next to the PC-2000. I decided to go right up to the sub when the scene from Wonder Woman was playing and even though it sounded like it could be coming from the sub I was able to discern the rattle noise from inside my storage room on the other side of the door. Sure enough, there were two loose Philips screws! I tightened them up and ran the scene again and like magic the bass was absolutely clean without an ounce of distortion. I ended up playing that scene several times since it really is an awesome demo scene for bass.

Thanks again for those who did chime in with possible suggestions as to the cause of my problem. I really value AVS and the ability we have to try to "figure things out together." And of course, I love the mutual love we have in Audio & Video.

Now it's time to check out so more "demo shots" from various Blu-rays!

PS Is anyone out there a Minnesota Vikings fan? As you may have noticed, I live in Minnesota and I'm a die-hard (and usually disappointed) Vikings fan. They played a fantastic game against the L. A. Rams (beat them 24 to 7) who have the #1 Offense. As you may know, the Super Bowl will be played in the Vikings' new stadium and many of us are all hoping the Vikes will be playing at that time!

post #26654 of 32593 Old 11-19-2017, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I bought (thanks to advice from this forum) the SVS SB2000.

It's the largest sub I could accommodate really but seems to review well and SVS are highly rated in general.

Should arrive today or tomorrow and I can't wait to let it stretch its legs.
post #26655 of 32593 Old 11-19-2017, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicronic View Post

It's the largest sub I could accommodate really but seems to review well and SVS are highly rated in general.

You can't go wrong with SVS! Enjoy!!
Louis Bartay, unicronic and Tgrds like this.

post #26656 of 32593 Old 11-19-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
You can't go wrong with SVS! Enjoy!!

Thanks. I have been following SVS for a while and been very impressed with their products AND generally company approach. I particularly like you can get their guidance on matching a SVS sub with whatever speakers you have.

My space is limited so I chose some decent satellites and a Marantz SR6012. I know bookshelfs and standing speakers are better but I just can't fit them anywhere.
post #26657 of 32593 Old 11-20-2017, 02:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If your room is no bigger than 1400 cu.ft, a single SB2000 should rock in there. My room is 1650cu ft. and my dual SB2000s has enough output going down to 17hz (97db) with ease. It's not quite reference volume capable, but I can still feel them down to 14hz, which really is not too bad considering they are just 15inch 35lb cubes.

Heck - this article here measures dual SB2000s down to 10hz in a much larger room: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...flat-10hz.html
mthomas47 likes this.

Dual Rythmik FV15HP

Last edited by Ben Tan; 11-20-2017 at 02:44 AM.
post #26658 of 32593 Old 11-20-2017, 02:46 AM

Quote:
If your room is no bigger than 1400 cu.ft, a single SB2000 should rock in there. My room is 1650cu ft. and my dual SB2000s has enough output going down to 17hz (95db) with ease. It's not quite reference volume capable, but I can still feel them down to 14hz, which really is not too bad considering they are just 15inch 35lb cubes.

Heck - this article here measures dual SB2000s down to 10hz in a much larger room: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...flat-10hz.html
My room is an intimate 2-3 person room around 600cu.ft so sounds like I'll have a bone shaking environment.
post #26659 of 32593 Old 11-20-2017, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So finally after waiting for weeks on my order for a second SB16 which i received about a week ago i didn't have the opportunity to really test it out until this weekend, unfortunately it seems there is something wrong with it.

I first noticed that the output was way lower then my other SB16 and felt that it didn't go as low, however the main problem is when i increase the volume the sub will turn off and on again during a demanding part in a movie.

Waiting on a reply from the store i bought it from, they don't have the sb16 piano gloss in stock anymore so a replacement could take weeks again. I suspect that its a faulty amp and told them that if its faster to just sent me a replacement amp that will be fine.

I did some further testing today and thought maybe i have to much equipment on one circuit breaker and connected it to a different one, however now when i turn the sb16 on it trips the circuit breaker.

So what do you guys think, is it a faulty amp? Is there something else i can do or check what the problem could be?
post #26660 of 32593 Old 11-20-2017, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 55
SB12 for $400 and PB12 for $500 from SVS today:
https://www.svsound.com/pages/subwoofers#nsd-series
post #26661 of 32593 Old 11-20-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 355
trying to see if Canada is getting anything for BF? Mason?

UPDATE: NO.

Last edited by newfmp3; 11-20-2017 at 11:45 AM.
post #26662 of 32593 Old 11-20-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 4734
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman311 View Post
SB12 for $400 and PB12 for $500 from SVS today:
https://www.svsound.com/pages/subwoofers#nsd-series
Also available at Newegg and Amazon via authorized resellers.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #26663 of 32593 Old 11-20-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuXingWarrior View Post
So finally after waiting for weeks on my order for a second SB16 which i received about a week ago i didn't have the opportunity to really test it out until this weekend, unfortunately it seems there is something wrong with it.

I first noticed that the output was way lower then my other SB16 and felt that it didn't go as low, however the main problem is when i increase the volume the sub will turn off and on again during a demanding part in a movie.

Waiting on a reply from the store i bought it from, they don't have the sb16 piano gloss in stock anymore so a replacement could take weeks again. I suspect that its a faulty amp and told them that if its faster to just sent me a replacement amp that will be fine.

I did some further testing today and thought maybe i have to much equipment on one circuit breaker and connected it to a different one, however now when i turn the sb16 on it trips the circuit breaker.

So what do you guys think, is it a faulty amp? Is there something else i can do or check what the problem could be?
Call Ed at SVS

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
post #26664 of 32593 Old 11-20-2017, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Also available at Newegg and Amazon via authorized resellers.
How does the pb12-nsd compare to a pb2000? The price is great on the 12.
post #26665 of 32593 Old 11-20-2017, 01:37 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Quoted: 5778 Post(s)
Liked: 11666
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizorith View Post
How does the pb12-nsd compare to a pb2000? The price is great on the 12.
Hi,

That is a good price, but FWIW, the PB2000 is a better and more powerful sub. There would be enough difference between the older model and the newer one to make me want to spend the extra money if I could afford it.

Here is a table from Data-Bass, which shows the max output by frequency for the PB12-NSD:

http://www.data-bass.com/systems

The review I am linking shows similar measurement data for the PB2000. Here, you want to look at the measurements on the right side of the table (04) which show an average of 107.3db. That table corresponds to the Data-Bass measurement methodology.

https://www.lifewire.com/svs-pb-2000-review-3135027

At 20Hz, the PB2000 has just a slight edge, but from 25Hz and up, the advantage increases to between about 2.5 and 3.5db. At 63Hz which is about the center of the mid-bass (chest thump) range, the advantage is about 4db. Those are pretty big differences.

Regards,
Mike
Alex solomon likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #26666 of 32593 Old 11-20-2017, 06:52 PM

My SB2000 arrives today. My body is ready (I hope).

I know this doesn't contribute much but I'm very excited to get it installed.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #26667 of 32593 Old 11-20-2017, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 27796
Thumbs up

Quote:
My SB2000 arrives today. My body is ready (I hope).

I know this doesn't contribute much but I'm very excited to get it installed.
I have small 1,100 cf room which is closed off from the rest of the house and my Rythmik F12 with a lower power amp than the SB2000, 370WRMS vs 500WRMS, and I think it contributes greatly Lots of tactile stuff in movies with a good soundtrack and it blends well with my SVS Ultra speakers

Whenever I think about adding a second one I just can't justify it at this time. I live alone and only need concern myself with the MLP. I've never felt the need for any louder sounds/thump than what I have with the one sub and of course with the Ultras above 80Hz they do their part.

You may be pleasantly surprised
djoberg likes this.
post #26668 of 32593 Old 11-20-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
I have small 1,100 cf room which is closed off from the rest of the house and my Rythmik F12 with a lower power amp than the SB2000, 370WRMS vs 500WRMS, and I think it contributes greatly Lots of tactile stuff in movies with a good soundtrack and it blends well with my SVS Ultra speakers

Whenever I think about adding a second one I just can't justify it at this time. I live alone and only need concern myself with the MLP. I've never felt the need for any louder sounds/thump than what I have with the one sub and of course with the Ultras above 80Hz they do their part.

You may be pleasantly surprised
I have no doubt this will impress me.

I set up my Marantz SR6012 and L/R/C KEF E301's and the sound quality from this 33% complete home theater blew me away.

My wife and I watched the Spider-Man Homecoming eye/ear candy scene (ferry splitting) and we discussed all the sound detail that a good sub provides. Then you factor in the surrounds and 4 heights that are coming this week all being supported by the SB2000 and it's an early Christmas for us.

I'm in a similar situation I'm married but we live in an area where we it's pretty hard to noise pollute and we're movie geeks.

Our movie room is for 2-3 people and very intimate, around 600 cf.
Alex solomon, djoberg and Matt2026 like this.
post #26669 of 32593 Old 11-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I'll second the SB2000 capability to go low in a sealed room of small to moderate size. I have duals in a 2700 cuft room, and here's the REW plot of them by themselves (one of those nulls is a vertical null at MLP). This is max output just below clipping / distortion, so 100 dB down to 6 Hz. For a single sub subtract 6 dB from these numbers, at least below about 40 Hz in my case, and 3 dB above that. I can only imagine what a pair of SB16's would do in my room...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	max-sub-test-limit.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	2318850  

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #26670 of 32593 Old 11-21-2017, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My room is an intimate 2-3 person room around 600cu.ft so sounds like I'll have a bone shaking environment.
I forgot to add that I'm also sitting in a null position. I have a queen size bed a long with a 2 seater sofa (it's a bedroom theater). If I go to the best spot in my room and measure there, I do get above 100db in the 20hz range. Unfortunately sitting at that area is impossible as it blocks the pathway to my door.

It's something I had to make do with until I have a dedicated HT room.

The fact that you are only in a 600cu.ft room spells for some good LFE experience. Just make sure you place the sub in the best position and don't be afraid to turn up the gain knob on the sub itself. SVS has clarified that the Sledge amps are designed to run a lot higher than the "standard" 12 o'clock rule.
unicronic likes this.

Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page