Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 890 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45449Likes

post #26671 of 32570 Old 11-21-2017, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
I forgot to add that I'm also sitting in a null position. I have a queen size bed a long with a 2 seater sofa (it's a bedroom theater). If I go to the best spot in my room and measure there, I do get above 100db in the 20hz range. Unfortunately sitting at that area is impossible as it blocks the pathway to my door.

It's something I had to make do with until I have a dedicated HT room.

The fact that you are only in a 600cu.ft room spells for some good LFE experience. Just make sure you place the sub in the best position and don't be afraid to turn up the gain knob on the sub itself. SVS has clarified that the Sledge amps are designed to run a lot higher than the "standard" 12 o'clock rule.
Thanks for the tips.

My room basically only have one viable full corner to go in and a couple of side walls it can be positioned in. So the true best position might not be viable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26672 of 32570 Old 11-21-2017, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicronic View Post
Thanks for the tips.

My room basically only have one viable full corner to go in and a couple of side walls it can be positioned in. So the true best position might not be viable.
Welp, report back and let us know your experience!

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #26673 of 32570 Old 11-21-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the tips.

Welp, report back and let us know your experience!
Well I got the sub working, I'm not doing any precision calibration etc until all speakers are up and running over the weekend.

I tested it out on Iron Man 2 chapter 2 where Iron Man jumps out of a plane. It felt like I was face to face with a jet engine and the fire works display near the middle of that scene felt like I was under attack.

Love it
Magellan55 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26674 of 32570 Old 11-21-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuXingWarrior View Post
So finally after waiting for weeks on my order for a second SB16 which i received about a week ago i didn't have the opportunity to really test it out until this weekend, unfortunately it seems there is something wrong with it.

I first noticed that the output was way lower then my other SB16 and felt that it didn't go as low, however the main problem is when i increase the volume the sub will turn off and on again during a demanding part in a movie.

Waiting on a reply from the store i bought it from, they don't have the sb16 piano gloss in stock anymore so a replacement could take weeks again. I suspect that its a faulty amp and told them that if its faster to just sent me a replacement amp that will be fine.

I did some further testing today and thought maybe i have to much equipment on one circuit breaker and connected it to a different one, however now when i turn the sb16 on it trips the circuit breaker.

So what do you guys think, is it a faulty amp? Is there something else i can do or check what the problem could be?
Sorry for the problem with that subwoofer! Please contact SVS Customer Service at [email protected] and we'll be able to assist you further. Thanks!

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #26675 of 32570 Old 11-21-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Are people still seeing bubbling issues in the vinyl versions of the SB/PB series? Both mine are.27 speakers in my house, some very old, and only my SVS branded ones are bubbling. I got a blemish credit on one, thanks SVS, but now the 2nd one is doing it as well. Was trying to get another sub for my living room, but there's no Black Friday sales in Canada Makes me sad. I might consider another brand.
post #26676 of 32570 Old 11-21-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
Are people still seeing bubbling issues in the vinyl versions of the SB/PB series? Both mine are.27 speakers in my house, some very old, and only my SVS branded ones are bubbling. I got a blemish credit on one, thanks SVS, but now the 2nd one is doing it as well. Was trying to get another sub for my living room, but there's no Black Friday sales in Canada Makes me sad. I might consider another brand.
We're very sorry about the bubbling vinyl - it's an extremely rare issue. Because your SVS dealers in Canada are not carrying the NSD subwoofers, we can sell/ship direct. Contact SVS Customer Service at [email protected] for details. Thanks.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #26677 of 32570 Old 11-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:

My PB13 has the same issue. I think due to humidity in China. SVS offered me a credit for x amount for $ but told them thanks but no thanks. Small blemish but sub still plays like crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #26678 of 32570 Old 11-21-2017, 07:15 PM

Just a quick question on the SVS subs.

When connected to an AV receiver, what volume do you have your sub dial at.

I'm using the LFE setting and the LFE connection to my Marantz receiver.

What about phase settings, they're recommended to be at 0.

I haven't run any config programs on my Marantz yet as I'm waiting for some more speakers to arrive this week.
post #26679 of 32570 Old 11-22-2017, 02:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmmm... first I've heard of this. I've had my Prime bookshelfs and SB2000 for close a year and half now, live in Singapore (where it's humid as F 24/7) and there's no bubbling issue on the vinyl for me.

How is it bubbling up exactly?

Quote:
Just a quick question on the SVS subs.

When connected to an AV receiver, what volume do you have your sub dial at.

I'm using the LFE setting and the LFE connection to my Marantz receiver.

What about phase settings, they're recommended to be at 0.

I haven't run any config programs on my Marantz yet as I'm waiting for some more speakers to arrive this week.
I think you should read the Audyssey thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

To answer your question specifically:

I have my dial half way to 3pm (2:30), both on my SB2000s. Phase is at 0, but there's no exact setting for this because it depends on your sub's location and room shape. Mine is at 0 because they're at the front stage shooting directly to me.

Dual Rythmik FV15HP
post #26680 of 32570 Old 11-22-2017, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 170
What Ben said. Mine are at about 1:00 with AVR trim set at -1, and it gives me about a +5 dB LFE boost. But that's duals; I think I was more around 1:30 or 2:00 when I just had a single sub. Phase on both are 0, but the primary one sits next to the right front channel ~1/4 of the wall width so that's expected; with duals you just set the 2nd sub's phase to blend best with the 1st one at MLP. I tried 30 degree increments using REW and zero just works best in my situation (2nd sub about 1/4 down the side wall).

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #26681 of 32570 Old 11-22-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm... first I've heard of this. I've had my Prime bookshelfs and SB2000 for close a year and half now, live in Singapore (where it's humid as F 24/7) and there's no bubbling issue on the vinyl for me.

I think you should read the Audyssey thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

I have my dial half way to 3pm (2:30), both on my SB2000s. Phase is at 0, but there's no exact setting for this because it depends on your sub's location and room shape. Mine is at 0 because they're at the front stage shooting directly to me.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/737143-official-svs-owners-support-thread-747.html

post22405

It's gotten a little worse since then. I am not the only one it has happened to.

SVS has contacted me.
post #26682 of 32570 Old 11-22-2017, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
What Ben said. Mine are at about 1:00 with AVR trim set at -1, and it gives me about a +5 dB LFE boost. But that's duals; I think I was more around 1:30 or 2:00 when I just had a single sub. Phase on both are 0, but the primary one sits next to the right front channel ~1/4 of the wall width so that's expected; with duals you just set the 2nd sub's phase to blend best with the 1st one at MLP. I tried 30 degree increments using REW and zero just works best in my situation (2nd sub about 1/4 down the side wall).
Having had other brands before SVS, I was a little taken back when I got my first one at how high I had to crank the volume in order not to have to set my amp at above zero for lfe. It's by design. Both my subs are around 2-3:00 position, and my Denon's are around -8
post #26683 of 32570 Old 11-22-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
Quote:

Quote:
Having had other brands before SVS, I was a little taken back when I got my first one at how high I had to crank the volume in order not to have to set my amp at above zero for lfe. It's by design. Both my subs are around 2-3:00 position, and my Denon's are around -8
Question: Did you guys run Audyssey (or some other room correction calibration)? Audyssey set my GAIN at 1 o'clock on PC12-NSD and 11 o'clock on my PC-2000. The TRIM LEVEL on my Denon was set to -8 on both of them. I did end up setting the TRIM to -4 and the GAIN on my PS-2000 to 12 o'clock, resulting in some very serious LFE with incredible accuracy to boot. I can't imagine having the GAIN between 2 & 3 o'clock. I realize that there are different variables for each room, but that seems really high.

But hey, if it sounds good (smooth and even throughout all listening areas) with no distortion, then all the more power to you!

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #26684 of 32570 Old 11-22-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I ran Audyssey. I went crazy with it when I got my pb2k. Even contacted Ed about it. I'm saying 2-3:00 off the top of my head, but it might be closer to 1. I just remember thinking that this is higher than I have had to set other subs. My HSU's were barely turned up at all, just the total opposite. I'll check when I get home. I don't listen to my stuff very loud. I'm the guy telling people to turn the stuff down. Anyways, it's dialed in, sounds great, that's the main thing. I also use Dynamic Volume on my Denon's. Some hate it, but where I'm not running the volume really high, I find it helps create more bass when volume is lower. I've got 2 main systems, both Denon's. x4100 in 5.1 (looking for 2nd sub now for there) upstairs main TV, x4300 downstairs with external amps and 7.2.4 Atmos in theater. So two different rooms but similar outcome after running Audyssey with the SVS's. Audyssey typically wants my subs turned down, or it sets to -11. But Find with everything crossed at 80, Audyssey lacks bass if you adjust it at around the 78db mark during setup. So I bump it up +2db. But again, I'm not listening at deafening volumes like some people do.
It's actually a little safer the way SVS does their volume and DSP. My HSU volume is so touchy, that someone not knowing what they are doing could easily set it up too high and pop the speaker. The SVS is more idiot proof in that sense.

Last edited by newfmp3; 11-22-2017 at 10:07 AM.
post #26685 of 32570 Old 11-22-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:

I will do thanks. I actually just test out a movie at 3pm on the dial and the bass for frighteningly impressive. I could feel my couch vibrating from 2 meters away.
post #26686 of 32570 Old 11-23-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So SVS reached out to me and we came to a resolution to my cosmetic problem. I wont' discuss details here but I'm quite happy with the outcome. I'm even going to order another sub now.....I'm running out of excuses with the wife though. I need another sub because..... lol. We need to start a thread and sticky it at the top of he forum. Tips and Tricks with dealing with WAF. Maybe a flow chart of some sort!
post #26687 of 32570 Old 11-23-2017, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will do thanks. I actually just test out a movie at 3pm on the dial and the bass for frighteningly impressive. I could feel my couch vibrating from 2 meters away.
Glad you're enjoying. The point of the sub is to blend seamlessly with your other speakers and then shock the hell out of you when the source asks for it. You should barely ever notice it's even playing, that's bass nirvana.

Dual Rythmik FV15HP
post #26688 of 32570 Old 11-23-2017, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SVS Sub & Yamaha RX-A770---sub very very weak

I have a SVS PB-1000 and the yamaha rx-a770. I just switched out forth def tech speakers and that sub sucked but it was working. I switched out the five speakers and the sub with SVS and ran the ypao setup. Everything sounded normal just like when I did it with the def techs.

At first the sub was so weak I could only hear it if I turned the gain all the way up. Then I stopped hearing anything from it and the display on the yamaha that shows L, C, R, LS, RS, and SW now shows all of the speakers except the SW.

I followed all the steps as far as setting gain to 10-12:00 and LFE for crossover etc.

I pulled the cable out of the receiver with the sub on ant tapped it and the sub is definitely responding.

I should clarify the sub us so weak you can't even tell its on unless you ut your ear on it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #26689 of 32570 Old 11-23-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradopilot View Post
At first the sub was so weak I could only hear it if I turned the gain all the way up. Then I stopped hearing anything from it and the display on the yamaha that shows L, C, R, LS, RS, and SW now shows all of the speakers except the SW.
Almost looks like a problem with the Yamaha. Try setting zone 2 to the same source as main zone, and plug the subwoofer into the zone 2 output, and see if the subwoofer springs to life. If it does, you know you have an issue with the Yamaha's sub out or some setup issue with the Yamaha.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #26690 of 32570 Old 11-23-2017, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Almost looks like a problem with the Yamaha. Try setting zone 2 to the same source as main zone, and plug the subwoofer into the zone 2 output, and see if the subwoofer springs to life. If it does, you know you have an issue with the Yamaha's sub out or some setup issue with the Yamaha.
Also check out the discussion from yesterday on the thread - SVS sub gain should be in the 1:00-2:00 range, not 10:00-12:00.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #26691 of 32570 Old 11-23-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2972 Post(s)
Liked: 1952
Quote:
So SVS reached out to me and we came to a resolution to my cosmetic problem. I wont' discuss details here but I'm quite happy with the outcome. I'm even going to order another sub now.....I'm running out of excuses with the wife though. I need another sub because..... lol. We need to start a thread and sticky it at the top of he forum. Tips and Tricks with dealing with WAF. Maybe a flow chart of some sort!
SVS....notorious for providing excellent customer service! Glad you're pleased with the outcome. I like your idea about T&T for the WAF!
newfmp3 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #26692 of 32570 Old 11-23-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Glad you're enjoying. The point of the sub is to blend seamlessly with your other speakers and then shock the hell out of you when the source asks for it. You should barely ever notice it's even playing, that's bass nirvana.
Yeah that's why I'm aiming for.

I haven't really done any calibration yet as I'm installing my surrounds and 4 height speakers over the weekend.
post #26693 of 32570 Old 11-24-2017, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hey guys I'm facing a dilemma...... I just bought a PB-2000 and it does not sound anywhere near as loud as my Polk PSW505... Even with it cranked up. Right now I have the dB set to +10dB and the gain set to 2-3 o'clock.... I moved the PSW505 next to the couch to get near field and that helped with the bass coverage in the room but I was really expecting the PB2K to shake the house and it's underwhelming... Thinking about sending it back and getting a second PSW505.... really not worth the $800 as far as I've seen. Am I crazy?

Also on another note I have the Ultra bookshelf speakers and although they do seem to have a little better imaging than my Polk TSi400's, the sound quality is roughly the same... Once again debating on sending the ultras and PB2K back and getting my $1800 back...... Help me decide!

Last edited by enkrypt3d; 11-24-2017 at 05:34 PM.
post #26694 of 32570 Old 11-24-2017, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkrypt3d View Post
Hey guys I'm facing a dilemma...... I just bought a PB-2000 and it does not sound anywhere near as loud as my Polk PSW505... Even with it cranked up. Right now I have the dB set to +10dB and the gain set to 2-3 o'clock.... I moved the PSW505 next to the couch to get near field and that helped with the bass coverage in the room but I was really expecting the PB2K to shake the house and it's underwhelming... Thinking about sending it back and getting a second PSW505.... really not worth the $800 as far as I've seen. Am I crazy?

Also on another note I have the Ultra bookshelf speakers and although they do seem to have a little better imaging than my Polk TSi400's, the sound quality is roughly the same... Once again debating on sending the ultras and PB2K back and getting my $1800 back...... Help me decide!
Have you done the calibration and then made sure to set the speakers to 'small' on your AVR settings? If you have your speakers set to large (YPAO constantly defaults mine to large with each calibration, but I just manually change it to small afterwards), it essentially bypasses the sub settings. I recently bought the same sub, initially tried the sub gain at 12:00 and YPAO set the dB to -5, I then tried the gain at 1:00 and YPAO set the dB to about -7-8, I then tried the gain at 3:00 which resulted in the dB setting of -9.5 (I then increased it to -3 to run the sub a little 'hot'). I'm not sure what your definition of loud is, but with my current set-up at a pretty good listening volume I can actually feel the air shaking and really feel the bass on bass heavy scenes.
mthomas47 and Magellan55 like this.
post #26695 of 32570 Old 11-24-2017, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Hey guys I'm facing a dilemma...... Once again debating on sending the ultras and PB2K back and getting my $1800 back...... Help me decide!
I can't comment on the speakers as I've never heard those products but your problem sounds a lot like the guy in this thread, so I'd read a little there. Theoretically the SVS should walk all over that Polk unit. Are you sure you aren't used to hearing lots of distortion and mistaking it for bass? The SVS will likely sound a lot "cleaner" which can sound quieter to some. Don't put the gain on your receiver in the positive. Adjust it with the knob on the sub instead. Lower it back down to 0 or less and adjust up on the subwoofer if you're having issues with output.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...ud-r-12sw.html
djoberg and Magellan55 like this.

TV: Sony XBR55HX929 Receiver: Integra DTR-70.4
Speakers:
Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand towers, a Maestro center, and two Solus SR-C6 in-ceiling rears
Subwoofers
: JL Audio E112 (x2)
post #26696 of 32570 Old 11-25-2017, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all,

I have a SVS PC 16-46 and the BASH amp went dead (burned/smoked inside - I took it out). SVS tech guy said it could be replaced by a newer Sledge STA 500D for $300 including a new adapter cable. But by the looks of it, the size/shape of my amp looks much different and the screws go in different places.

Has anyone replaced one of their older PC amplifiers? How did it go?

Not sure if I shouldn't toss the thing and try something newer....

What a waste of a good driver and cabinet though.

TY for any thoughts.
post #26697 of 32570 Old 11-25-2017, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfaninkansas View Post
Have you done the calibration and then made sure to set the speakers to 'small' on your AVR settings? If you have your speakers set to large (YPAO constantly defaults mine to large with each calibration, but I just manually change it to small afterwards), it essentially bypasses the sub settings. I recently bought the same sub, initially tried the sub gain at 12:00 and YPAO set the dB to -5, I then tried the gain at 1:00 and YPAO set the dB to about -7-8, I then tried the gain at 3:00 which resulted in the dB setting of -9.5 (I then increased it to -3 to run the sub a little 'hot'). I'm not sure what your definition of loud is, but with my current set-up at a pretty good listening volume I can actually feel the air shaking and really feel the bass on bass heavy scenes.
Thanks for your note here. I just had someone finish my media room (small room, not a full blown theater) and along with a new Klipsch setup I purchased a SVS PB2000. I was a tiny bit disappointed in the Sub unless I was listening to something with a lot of bass. Sure enough, I just checked the settings on the configuration by the contractor and my fronts are set to "large" not to small. I'll be cranking up some movies later today to test out the sub. Thanks again, great advice.
Magellan55 likes this.

Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H,
Speakers: Klipsch RP-280F, Klipsch RP-450C, Klipsch RP 150-M, Klipsch RP 250-S
Amp: Krell KAV-500
Sub: Dual SVS PB-2000
post #26698 of 32570 Old 11-25-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Quoted: 5776 Post(s)
Liked: 11659
Quote:

Hi,

That sounds like a set-up, calibration, or settings issue to me. Follow the advice listed in the posts above to get your sub dialed-in properly. There is literally no comparison between the amount of SPL that the two subs can produce. Not only is the PB2000 able to play louder at every frequency than the Polk sub, but the low frequency extension is entirely different.

The Polk sub is down about 20db at 30Hz, compared to the PB2000. (For comparison, two Polk's would gain 6db, and four Polk's would gain an additional 12db, compared to a single PB2000. I don't want to tell you how many Polk subs it would take to equal a single PB2000 at 30Hz.) And, the Polk's SPL falls off a cliff below 30Hz. Those low frequencies are what we pay more for in our subs for movie watching. And, it's why we need to pay attention to max output at particular frequencies when we buy our subs.

Here are measurements for the two subs. You can read the SPL numbers for the Polk sub in the table labeled Total Harmonic Distortion. They are shown by frequency and the distortion is very high at every frequency. https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_1...er-4-2005.html

The SVS sub's measurements are shown in this review. The right hand column of Table 4 (Measurements) will let you compare max output by frequency. https://www.lifewire.com/svs-pb-2000-review-3135027

Distortion does sound louder at some frequencies sometimes--like with a bad boom box. So, it's possible that you are just used to hearing very distorted bass. But, it's also entirely possible that you just haven't set-up and calibrated your sub properly. Be methodical and then report back. People will try to help you trouble-shoot the problem if you add detail. Set-up and operated properly there should be no question which sub is producing more clean bass and going lower. Much lower.

Regards,
Mike
djoberg, sk373, Matt2026 and 3 others like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 11-25-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Overall Clarity
post #26699 of 32570 Old 11-25-2017, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=thebucketoftruth;55195276]i can't comment on the speakers as i've never heard those products but your problem sounds a lot like the guy in this thread, so i'd read a little there. Theoretically the svs should walk all over that polk unit. Are you sure you aren't used to hearing lots of distortion and mistaking it for bass? The svs will likely sound a lot "cleaner" which can sound quieter to some. Don't put the gain on your receiver in the positive. Adjust it with the knob on the sub instead. Lower it back down to 0 or less and adjust up on the subwoofer if you're having issues with output.

Sent you have a pm.

Mo
post #26700 of 32570 Old 11-25-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
Quote:

I'm also chiming in to a comment on your sub, and I also have a comment on your Ultra Bookshelf speakers. Regarding the sub, I have the PC-2000 (along with a PC12-NSD). When I ran Audyssey XT32 it set my GAIN on the PC-2000 at the 11 o'clock setting (in order to measure 75 Dbls) and the TRIM on my Denon AVR to -8. The bass on music was awesome and it was "respectable" on movies. I decided to raise the TRIM to -4 and that brought a bigger smile to my face for music but I still wasn't satisfied on movies. Sooooo....I put the GAIN at 12 o'clock and now I'm smiling from "ear to ear." I'm actually amazed at those who have their GAIN set at 2 or 3 o'clock, for that seems pretty high and could result in the "limiter" kicking in quite often.

Okay, as far as the Ultra Bookshelves, I have the Prime Bookshelves and the imaging/soundstage is incredible (for both music on movies), so I do believe, as others have intimated, that something is up with your settings.

I would add too that I agree with those who said the SVS subs give you a much "cleaner" sound, which simply means the bass is more accurate (producing a "flatter frequency response"). What I really love about these subs is that no matter how loud you play them and how deep the bass goes, there is ZERO DISTORTION!! They can play most content without being strained, unless the LFE is reaching below the max level of 16 Hz (or so); in those cases the "limiter" will kick in so no harm will be done to the sub.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 11-25-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page