Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 942 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44459Likes

post #28231 of 31356 Old 05-19-2018, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckbacker View Post
The delivery truck has arrived, the boxes opened and the speakers are all in place and dialed in. I now have an all SVS Ultra Tower setup for my Atmos 7.2.4 installation. Not to let any grass grow under my feet as I have my eyes fixed on adding Auro 3D 13.1 via the newly released Denon X8500H and eight more SVS Prime Elevations.
That setup looks great. I have dual SB16s and they work great in my much larger room. Not to say that a couple of PB16s wouldn't be great, however. I just didn't have room comfortably for the PB16s. I am ok as is, and they rock the room so much that even if I don't know what I am missing, it is probably ok
mthomas47 and Matt2026 like this.

System
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28232 of 31356 Old 05-19-2018, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan30thz28 View Post
Hello,
I will be purchasing an open box special pb-2000 from IQ entertainment. Anyone had experience with them? Also, any suggestions on how to calibrate dual pb-2000's? My AVR doesn't have any sort of room eq, so it's all up to me. Thank you, and I look forward to your responses.

Sincerely,
Send an email to SVS CS at [email protected] and we'll walk you through set-up. The specifics of phasing the subs depends on where the subs are located in the room. We'll get them working together nicely and performing well.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #28233 of 31356 Old 05-19-2018, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post
Hmm okay. I was just curious more than anything. I know the port size is the same when I compared the two subs on the SVS website. I'm still considering buying the SB-1000 to A/B sound test it with my PB-1000. I have a feeling I might like the sealed version more. Then I'd buy a second one to have dual. My room is only a 12'x13' size bedroom in an apartment. I do like the PB-1000 but only having one does offset the bass to one side a bit.
If you plug the port on the PB-1000, it will start to roll-off earlier and the overall response will be over-damped. This will create a subjectively different bass delivery, with more of an emphasis on the mid/upper bass. It may also sound tighter with less overhang. But you'll definitely have less low-end output capability as the trade-off.

With that said, there is still a high pass filter below (what would normally be) port tuning, and this high pass can't be disabled by the user. This will make the roll-off steeper below about 20 Hz than would normally be the case with a sealed subwoofer.

This is the key distinction between plugging the port on a PB-1000/PB-2000 which are fixed tune subs (with a HPF which cannot be disabled) and a true variable tune SVS which has a dedicated Sealed mode in the amp which is specifically tailored to make the sub perform its best when all ports are plugged.
mthomas47 and Magellan55 like this.

Ed Mullen
SVS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28234 of 31356 Old 05-19-2018, 06:26 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5371 Post(s)
Liked: 10023
Quote:
The delivery truck has arrived, the boxes opened and the speakers are all in place and dialed in. I now have an all SVS Ultra Tower setup for my Atmos 7.2.4 installation. Not to let any grass grow under my feet as I have my eyes fixed on adding Auro 3D 13.1 via the newly released Denon X8500H and eight more SVS Prime Elevations.

The first movie to test out was the new 4K Blu ray, the 20th Anniversary of Saving Private Ryan. The first 27 minutes did not disappoint. My already set up dual SVS SB16-Ultras blended in effortlessly, even more so than when my Def Tech towers were there. It even meets the Hound's Helm's approval (see last pic).

I am now wavering on replacing the sealed subs with their ported counterparts but in a less than 1700 cubic foot enclosed room, that may be overkill. At any rate, somebody please talk me out of that. I have only had the SB16s for seven months and I have no complaints. it's just that you never know what you may be leaving on the table.

Many thanks to Ed Mullen and staff at SVS for their constant vigilance in providing unparalleled performance, value and customer service. I am and will continue to be a life long customer.

Hi,

That's a very nice looking room! I'm also partial to stained glass.

As Gene said, not many people will try to talk you out of upgrading, if you think that's what you want to do. In a small room you will get more room gain, and it will start at a higher frequency. But, I don't think that room gain is necessarily the primary factor in determining how much subwoofage we want. A lot of it has to do with how dynamic and overt we want the bass to be.

If you move to ported subs, you will get proportionately more low-frequency bass (<50Hz) than you are getting now. And, you will potentially get a lot more tactile response. The ported subs will make your whole room shake more than it does now. Whether or not that is a good thing depends on you.

If you are serious about this, I recommend that you move up to the PB4000's rather than the PB16's. All of the features are the same. The only difference is that the PB16 has about 3db more max output below ~35Hz. But, in a small room like yours, there won't be any particular advantage in having that extra output at very low-frequencies. The PB4000's will still greatly exceed the low-frequency performance of the SB16's, but they will do it in a slightly smaller and slightly more economical package than the PB16's.

If you were hoping that this post would talk you off the ledge, then you might be disappointed, because I think that if you are genuinely curious you should go for it.

Regards,
Mike
gene4ht and Duckbacker like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #28235 of 31356 Old 05-19-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 2654
Quote:
I am now wavering on replacing the sealed subs with their ported counterparts but in a less than 1700 cubic foot enclosed room, that may be overkill. At any rate, somebody please talk me out of that. I have only had the SB16s for seven months and I have no complaints. it's just that you never know what you may be leaving on the table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

If you move to ported subs, you will get proportionately more low-frequency bass (<50Hz) than you are getting now. And, you will potentially get a lot more tactile response. The ported subs will make your whole room shake more than it does now. Whether or not that is a good thing depends on you.

If you are serious about this, I recommend that you move up to the PB4000's rather than the PB16's. All of the features are the same. The only difference is that the PB16 has about 3db more max output below ~35Hz. But, in a small room like yours, there won't be any particular advantage in having that extra output at very low-frequencies. The PB4000's will still greatly exceed the low-frequency performance of the SB16's, but they will do it in a slightly smaller and slightly more economical package than the PB16's.

If you were hoping that this post would talk you off the ledge, then you might be disappointed, because I think that if you are genuinely curious you should go for it.

Regards,
Mike
Mike's recommendation is a very good one! For some reason, the PB4000's completely escaped me. For your room size, the PB4000's will provide all the advantages of a ported sub over a sealed one. If you don't see a larger room for you in the near future, the PB4000 is the better solution and should cure your "what ifs."

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #28236 of 31356 Old 05-19-2018, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

Not to dismiss the great advice you got above, but I'll offer two minor counterpoints to moving up to PB's in your situation to consider:
- Ported boxes (either one) will be huge in that room, sticking out 2x from your wall compared to the SB16's. With your chairs sitting so close, that could be a problem especially when the room is darkened and someone needs to step out in the middle of a movie.
- That small a room should be giving you great room gain at the very low end. You might want to run REW to see just how low you're getting with those sealed subs; I would be surprised if you aren't getting down to at least 5 Hz @ 100dB or more. Even the PB16's can't go that low; they roll off quite rapidly below port tuning. That only matters if you care about feeling what few effects are down there, and aren't on very many LFE tracks. But sometimes just knowing you're getting "the whole effect" of the soundtrack is comforting after spending all those $$. :-)
mthomas47 and Duckbacker like this.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #28237 of 31356 Old 05-19-2018, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
If you plug the port on the PB-1000, it will start to roll-off earlier and the overall response will be over-damped. This will create a subjectively different bass delivery, with more of an emphasis on the mid/upper bass. It may also sound tighter with less overhang. But you'll definitely have less low-end output capability as the trade-off.

With that said, there is still a high pass filter below (what would normally be) port tuning, and this high pass can't be disabled by the user. This will make the roll-off steeper below about 20 Hz than would normally be the case with a sealed subwoofer.

This is the key distinction between plugging the port on a PB-1000/PB-2000 which are fixed tune subs (with a HPF which cannot be disabled) and a true variable tune SVS which has a dedicated Sealed mode in the amp which is specifically tailored to make the sub perform its best when all ports are plugged.
So basically it’s best not to plug the port on my PB-1000. I’m still considering buying the SB-1000 or SB-2000 and comparing it with the PB-1000. I definitely want that tight controlled bass for music but still sound good for movies. Plus I think I’d prefer the smaller footprint of the SB subs.
post #28238 of 31356 Old 05-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

That's a very nice looking room! I'm also partial to stained glass.

As Gene said, not many people will try to talk you out of upgrading, if you think that's what you want to do. In a small room you will get more room gain, and it will start at a higher frequency. But, I don't think that room gain is necessarily the primary factor in determining how much subwoofage we want. A lot of it has to do with how dynamic and overt we want the bass to be.

Regards,
Mike
Sage advice as always Mike. Thank you for your recommendation with the PB4000's. I believe that a pair of them will soon be in place where my SB16 Ultra's now sit.

Sony XBR-85X900F 85-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV; Denon AVR-X8500H (Dolby Atmos 7.2.6/DTS:X 7.2.4/Auro-3D 13.2); Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Amplifier; SVS Ultra Towers; SVS Ultra Center Channel; (4) SVS Ultra Surround Speakers; (12) SVS Prime Elevations for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D; Dual SVS SB16-Ultra Subwoofers w/SVS Soundpath Isolation System; Auralex Subdude II Isolation Pads; Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray Player; Panamax M5400 Power Conditioner
post #28239 of 31356 Old 05-19-2018, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Dual pb-2000's!

Hello everyone,
So I went dual. My AVR is really old, and I don't have any room equalization software on it. My iphone isn't the best mic either, and I have been trying to get everything to play together nicely. I backed off the volume for the subs on the AVR to -10, and the gain on the subs are at 1 o'clock. Given the system in my signature is that about right for the settings on the subs, and the AVR? Both subs are on the front side wall of the theater, close in on every side except the back). Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Daniel Maldonado

TCL/Roku 65" R615 4K TV, Onkyo HT-S990 THX 7.1 Surround System, Dual SVS PB-2000 Subwoofers, Sony UBP X700 4K Ultra Blu-ray Player

Last edited by Dan30thz28; 05-19-2018 at 10:23 AM. Reason: adding info
post #28240 of 31356 Old 05-19-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 24233
Quote:

The first movie to test out was the new 4K Blu ray, the 20th Anniversary of Saving Private Ryan. The first 27 minutes did not disappoint. My already set up dual SVS SB16-Ultras blended in effortlessly, even more so than when my Def Tech towers were there. It even meets the Hound's Helm's approval (see last pic).

Many thanks to Ed Mullen and staff at SVS for their constant vigilance in providing unparalleled performance, value and customer service. I am and will continue to be a life long customer.
I am certainly not an expert but that won't stop me from posting my thoughts

While ported subs might give more output at certain frequencies they tend to roll off faster below port tune whereas with your sealed subs and not so large a sealed room you may well have more room gain with more output lower than 20Hz. On another forum page, IIRC, a fellow had pretty good output down to 10Hz or maybe even lower. So, I would do more research before trading your sealed subs for ported

Just my somewhat ignorant point of view
mthomas47 and Duckbacker like this.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
9.1.) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Aircom T-8, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #28241 of 31356 Old 05-19-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5371 Post(s)
Liked: 10023
^^^

I think that my friend Ken is much too modest. His thoughts are never ignorant, in my opinion.

But, this subject interests me, so I decided to look at the Data-Bass results for the PB13, compared to the SB13. The 4000 Ultra and 16 Ultra models will have essentially identical results to the 13 Ultras below ~16Hz. At 12.5Hz, the SB13 and the PB13 (in 15Hz mode) have almost exactly the same max SPL. Then, between 12.5Hz and 10Hz, the PB13 rolls-off by about 5db more than the SB13 does. So, the only difference in low-frequency extension between these two subs is literally at ~10Hz.

https://data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=55&mset=61

There are two aspects to consider when evaluating how meaningful that 5db difference at 10Hz is. First, how much 10Hz content is there, and second how do we perceive 10Hz content? As for the first, about the only isolated 10Hz content I know of is the 10Hz sine wave in the intro to EOT, and the PB4000's should knock that out of the park in a small room.

Based on everything I have read and experienced, we don't usually hear frequencies below ~16Hz, except with headphones and isolated test tones. Instead, we hear some of the low-fundamentals of notes and their harmonics (overtones), and that is particularly the case with complex sounds rather than sine waves. Most of what we perceive below ~20Hz, and certainly below 16Hz, is probably tactile sensations, with some low-fundamentals and upper harmonics.

The consensus on most of the bass threads where I have seen this discussed, is that significant SPL into the mid to low teens is the most important goal. I have heard a number of people who have output into single digits say that having it is more a matter of bragging rights than it is of creating a substantive improvement in their HT experience. I am not offering that as a definitive statement, just noting it for what it's worth. This is a YMMV issue.

People who enjoy having sealed subwoofers, and who get sufficient bass sounds and sensations, are probably lucky in that their subs are typically much smaller than the equivalent ported versions. But, people who crave more max output at low-frequencies, and more corresponding tactile response than sealed subs can produce, should not actually be giving up much if any low-bass, compared to their sealed counterparts, where the PB4000's and PB16's are concerned. And, they will get much more bass down to 16Hz, and below, before simply equaling the sealed subs at ~12Hz.

Especially in a small room, where the very low-frequencies will be strongly amplified by room gain, if someone is daring enough to go with ported subs, I don't think that he will be missing out on anything at all, except perhaps some plaster from the walls. Just kidding (I think) about that part.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 05-19-2018 at 01:02 PM.
post #28242 of 31356 Old 05-19-2018, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked: 2463
Quote:

My room is just a little smaller and can be closed off. I just recently switched my PC12+ to sealed mode and so far have not noticed any lack of low end bass or tactile response. I think it sounds better overall. In 16hz mode there were times that it sounded a little out of control, maybe too much in the 20hz range.

I need to re-watch some of the bass heavy movies again but so far I really like what I hear in sealed mode. When I finally get around to replacing my not so super cube it will be with another PC12+ or hopefully a PC3000 or a PC4000 and run it in sealed mode. At least I will have the option of sealed or ported then.

I also like the down firing design.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #28243 of 31356 Old 05-20-2018, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Plan on ordering one of the PB 4000's this week and was curious about connecting it. I've always just used a standard RCA cable to plug into my floor subs and there's already one in place, but was curious if I'd see noticeable results using one of the XLR inputs over that method. Any real difference? Just trying to figure out if I should run now now while I wait. Thanks
gene4ht likes this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #28244 of 31356 Old 05-20-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
Plan on ordering one of the PB 4000's this week and was curious about connecting it. I've always just used a standard RCA cable to plug into my floor subs and there's already one in place, but was curious if I'd see noticeable results using one of the XLR inputs over that method. Any real difference? Just trying to figure out if I should run now now while I wait. Thanks
Good question, my AVR does not have balanced XLR. I have a Hafler stereo amp and pre/amp that does. I just used RG6U coax with gold RCA from Monoprice from my AVR to my PB 13 Ultra. . No humming etc dead quiet and not expensive. Maybe someone with a balanced system will post up.
gene4ht and Rengozu like this.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
post #28245 of 31356 Old 05-20-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
Good question, my AVR does not have balanced XLR. I have a Hafler stereo amp and pre/amp that does. I just used RG6U coax with gold RCA from Monoprice from my AVR to my PB 13 Ultra. . No humming etc dead quiet and not expensive. Maybe someone with a balanced system will post up.

Like many, I've often wondered about this as well. To my knowledge, XLR connections have always been used in professional applications...ie. recording studios and stage productions where there are long cable runs and where it would be necessary to reduce noise. Unless there is known electromagnetic interference or extremely long cable runs in home applications/environments, I suspect enthusiasts just want to mimic pro installations. It would be welcomed to get @Ed Mullen to chime in on this. In the interim, I googled and found the following....not very definitive or conclusive.

XLR vs RCA – which is best?

It’s very easy to assume that if your equipment has both XLR and RCA connections, that XLR connections are going to be the better sounding connection. It’s not always the case.
The XLR connection carries a balanced signal. The hot pin carries the signal, the cold pin also carries the signal but inverted (think mirror image) and the third carries the earth. At the receiving equipment, any noise that is common to both the hot and cold pins is cancelled out. This makes a lot of sense in recording studios where long runs of cable are often needed to carry the small voltage signal generated by a microphone over (certainly in terms of hi-fi) very long runs of cable.
In a hi-fi system though, where perhaps the longest interconnect is 1 metre and the signal is up to 4 volts, then the need for XLR connections is more questionable.
The most important thing though is sound quality, and this is harder to be certain about. Our experience is that there are systems where the XLR connection sounds better than the RCA connection, and there are systems where the opposite is true.
So with any system that has both XLR and RCA connections, we would recommend that you try both connections and decide for yourself which is the better sounding connection for you. This is also something that your dealer will be happy to advise you on.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 05-20-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: typo
post #28246 of 31356 Old 05-21-2018, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Like many, I've often wondered about this as well. To my knowledge, XLR connections have always been used in professional applications...ie. recording studios and stage productions where there are long cable runs and where it would be necessary to reduce noise. Unless there is known electromagnetic interference or extremely long cable runs in home applications/environments, I suspect enthusiasts just want to mimic pro installations. It would be welcomed to get @Ed Mullen to chime in on this. In the interim, I googled and found the following....not very definitive or conclusive.

XLR vs RCA – which is best?

It’s very easy to assume that if your equipment has both XLR and RCA connections, that XLR connections are going to be the better sounding connection. It’s not always the case.
The XLR connection carries a balanced signal. The hot pin carries the signal, the cold pin also carries the signal but inverted (think mirror image) and the third carries the earth. At the receiving equipment, any noise that is common to both the hot and cold pins is cancelled out. This makes a lot of sense in recording studios where long runs of cable are often needed to carry the small voltage signal generated by a microphone over (certainly in terms of hi-fi) very long runs of cable.
In a hi-fi system though, where perhaps the longest interconnect is 1 metre and the signal is up to 4 volts, then the need for XLR connections is more questionable.
The most important thing though is sound quality, and this is harder to be certain about. Our experience is that there are systems where the XLR connection sounds better than the RCA connection, and there are systems where the opposite is true.
So with any system that has both XLR and RCA connections, we would recommend that you try both connections and decide for yourself which is the better sounding connection for you. This is also something that your dealer will be happy to advise you on.
In most HT applications, RCA will work just fine. There are times when a really long cable run is required, or it's going in-wall and crossing (or running parallel to) AC power lines, which could potentially create some hum in the line. In situations like those, balanced should be considered if the AVR or pre/pro has XLR outputs.

Aside from the superior noise/hum rejection properties of balanced XLR, there really aren't any sound quality differences between the two connection methods - the signal itself is the same in both cases. Even though balanced XLR has double the voltage, many (but not all) balanced inputs on sub-amps are padded down 6 dB to keep the calibration level the same when switching connection types.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #28247 of 31356 Old 05-21-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In most HT applications, RCA will work just fine. There are times when a really long cable run is required, or it's going in-wall and crossing (or running parallel to) AC power lines, which could potentially create some hum in the line. In situations like those, balanced should be considered if the AVR or pre/pro has XLR outputs.

Aside from the superior noise/hum rejection properties of balanced XLR, there really aren't any sound quality differences between the two connection methods - the signal itself is the same in both cases. Even though balanced XLR has double the voltage, many (but not all) balanced inputs on sub-amps are padded down 6 dB to keep the calibration level the same when switching connection types.

As always...thanks Ed! That's definitive enough for me.
Louis Bartay and Rengozu like this.

post #28248 of 31356 Old 05-21-2018, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
As always...thanks Ed! That's definitive enough for me.
Same here. Thanks a lot, Ed. Ordered!
gene4ht and Louis Bartay like this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #28249 of 31356 Old 05-21-2018, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
In regards to the SVS app is there anything unique from a dsp standpoint to the default movie and music modes or are they just pre-named presets that you can just customize to whatever you want?

Edit:
I mostly ask because I didn’t think there was anything different between them but I saw this video linked below and Gary mentions the music and movie mode. I’m not sure if he’s referring to factory differences or programming they did for the demo. Go to the end at about 13:20

084runnerltd likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2

Last edited by confinoj; 05-21-2018 at 05:09 PM.
post #28250 of 31356 Old 05-21-2018, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
In regards to the SVS app is there anything unique from a dsp standpoint to the default movie and music modes or are they just pre-named presets that you can just customize to whatever you want?

Edit:

I mostly ask because I didn’t think there was anything different between them but I saw this video linked below and Gary mentions the music and movie mode. I’m not sure if he’s referring to factory differences or programming they did for the demo. Go to the end at about 13:20

https://youtu.be/a3gzgk8GMYI

Funny you ask this...I asked a similar question in the YouTube comments...
post #28251 of 31356 Old 05-21-2018, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post

Edit:

https://youtu.be/a3gzgk8GMYI
There are no differences from the factory settings between the Movie and Music settings. These are Name Presets but the settings are the same for both by default.

I have a comprehensive look at the SVS App in this video.

Louis Bartay likes this.
post #28252 of 31356 Old 05-22-2018, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Yesterday I had a little session with REW and did some measurements. I figured I'd do a few sweeps with the different port tunes for fun and was surprised to see one of my PB16's on "DEFAULT" and the other one on "EXTENDED". Switched the default one back to extended, did a new sweep and sure enough, got a couple of DBs more below 25 or so hz. Even more surprising, I toggled the one that already said "EXTENDED" back and forth and did a new sweep, yep a couple more db's below 25hz.

So basically I've been running my PB16's in "DEFAULT" mode with 1 port plugged for who knows how long. My area has had a few blackouts in the last couple of months, I suspect the loss of electricity could be the culprit?

Denon X8500H -> DDRC-88BM -> NAD M27, QE65FNAT, Arendal - Tower, Center, Surroundx4, 4x XTZ S2, 2x PB16-U, Nvidia Shield, Xbox Scorpio/PS4 Pro/Switch
post #28253 of 31356 Old 05-22-2018, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan30thz28 View Post
Hello everyone,
So I went dual. My AVR is really old, and I don't have any room equalization software on it. My iphone isn't the best mic either, and I have been trying to get everything to play together nicely. I backed off the volume for the subs on the AVR to -10, and the gain on the subs are at 1 o'clock. Given the system in my signature is that about right for the settings on the subs, and the AVR? Both subs are on the front side wall of the theater, close in on every side except the back). Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Daniel Maldonado
If your AVR lacks auto-set-up, then grab a Galaxy CM-130 SPL meter.

Set the meter at the primary listening position, on C/Slow, at head level, pointed at the front stage, at a 45 degree upward angle.

Set the AVR master volume to reference level (usually 0 dB but check the owner's manual) and then play the test tones and level match all of the speaker channels to 75 dB by adjusting the trim levels in the AVR.

Set the subwoofer channel level to 0 dB for starters and power-up one PB-2000 at a time.

Set sub #1 to 75 dB by adjusting the gain at the sub.
Set sub #2 to 75 dB by adjusting the gain at the sub.
Turn on both subs.
Set subs 1+2 to 75 dB by lowering the AVR sub channel level (it will probably end-up around -4 to -6).

This will result in the sub channel running about 2-3 dB hot, because a C-weighted SPL meter reads about 2-3 dB low on a typical subwoofer rumble tone.

Demo some favorite source material and assess how the system sounds.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #28254 of 31356 Old 05-22-2018, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Set the meter at the primary listening position, on C/Slow, at head level, pointed at the front stage, at a 45 degree upward angle.

Set the AVR master volume to reference level (usually 0 dB but check the owner's manual) and then play the test tones and level match all of the speaker channels to 75 dB by adjusting the trim levels in the AVR.

Set the subwoofer channel level to 0 dB for starters and power-up one PB-2000 at a time.

Turn on both subs.
Set subs 1+2 to 75 dB by lowering the AVR sub channel level (it will probably end-up around -4 to -6).

This will result in the sub channel running about 2-3 dB hot, because a C-weighted SPL meter reads about 2-3 dB low on a typical subwoofer rumble tone.

Ed, thank you very much and being so active and vigilant in the forums!

Sincerely,
post #28255 of 31356 Old 05-22-2018, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 41
SB-2000 Calibration question

I just received my (2) SB-2000's last week and ran Audyssey. In the past Audyssey recommended between -12 & +12 as what the trim levels in the receiver should end up at. CLoser to 0 being prefered. I set the master volume control on both subs to 12:00 and the trim came out at 0 which I assumed was a fine place for it to be. After spending this morning reading the Guide to Subwoofer Calibration here I see that now it is recommended to set the subs higher so the trim ends up being somewhere negative around -5 to -9. My receiver is the Denon 3808 and uses Audyssey MultEQ XT and has a single sub out of the receiver using a Y connector to the LFE on the subs. So far the subs sound amazing and I don't usually listen above -15 on the Denon volume scale so not reference level. If I should have the trim in the negative can I just increase the volume control on the sub and adjust down from 0 trim in the Denon without having to re-run Audyssey? Or do I even need to do anything? The reason I ask is because after reading the Guide I wanted to make sure I was getting enough voltage to the sub for best performance. I actually reduced the trim in the receiver after the calibration by 3db anyway. Thanks for the help.
post #28256 of 31356 Old 05-22-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Turn on both subs.

Ed if the AVR does not have a room correction feature to run the test tones is there a CD that had the test tones on it?

post #28257 of 31356 Old 05-22-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
Ed if the AVR does not have a room correction feature to run the test tones is there a CD that had the test tones on it?
Unless the AVR is totally ancient (like Dolby Pro Logic), it will have a manual set-up section in the menu where the internal test tones can be played.

The internal test tones are set to play 30 dB below reference, so the target SPL level is 75 dB when the master volume is set to 0 dB (or whatever reference level is for that AVR).

There are several calibration DVDs floating around which can be used to perform basic level matching (along with a host of other audio/video calibration tests), but they are generally not needed if the AVR has test tones.
Louis Bartay likes this.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #28258 of 31356 Old 05-22-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unless the AVR is totally ancient (like Dolby Pro Logic), it will have a manual set-up section in the menu where the internal test tones can be played.

The internal test tones are set to play 30 dB below reference, so the target SPL level is 75 dB when the master volume is set to 0 dB (or whatever reference level is for that AVR).

There are several calibration DVDs floating around which can be used to perform basic level matching (along with a host of other audio/video calibration tests), but they are generally not needed if the AVR has test tones.
Thanks I will Google cal DVD's. I should have explained. I have two systems in my den. I use my Cornwalls (fronts) and PB-13 Ultra with a NAD C162/C272 stereo pre/amp and amp for my turn table and reel to reel. I was thinking of plugging in a second ported sub for neirfield and thought this would be a good way to adjust all four if I had a test tone.

post #28259 of 31356 Old 05-22-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 24233
Just got the email for SVS Memorial Day Outlet Sale.

Picked up my third Ultra BS with no damage which with 5% returning customer code, supplied by Brad. The cost is a quite reasonable sum, in my mind, of $ 332.50 Should ship tomorrow

One more BS and my 7.1 bed of Ultras will be complete

Recently got a pair of Prime Elevations which I've been putting in some break in time on before I replace my front Polk heights.. Looking forward to picking up another pair when budget allows and then will be ready for a 7.1.4 layout which may happen towards year end when I hope to get a Denon X6500H.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
9.1.) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Aircom T-8, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #28260 of 31356 Old 05-22-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Definitely some good deals in the outlet for Memorial weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page