Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 948 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44602Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #28411 of 31561 Old 06-16-2018, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 1641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
It sounds complicated but it actually wasn't so bad once I got in a good rhythm. In order to make proper adjustments, you need:

A connected PC/Mac
A test tone program
A calibrated microphone or SPL meter
.
Thanks for the detailed guide. Your advice comes in handy more than you think. Why? I have an Onkyo entry level receiver which doesn't have any kind of proper EQ program. Should I gather the courage to or be in need of some EQing, I'd have to do it manually. Based of what you just wrote, I could do the following:

a) download individual test tones from YouTube, and run them individually like you indicate in your procedure.

b) downloand a SPL app (not ideal, but it's no so easy to get a hand on a proper meter or microphone)

From there on, try to do my best, because I have literally never done something like this. But I wouldn't want to get too far ahead of myself; first I need my sub. Less than two months to go! ( This wait is killing me).

I feel blessed for having guys like you and mthomas schooling me on these subjects.

Much appreciated!!
mthomas47 likes this.
AmerCa is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #28412 of 31561 Old 06-17-2018, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sevenfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
Thanks for the detailed guide. Your advice comes in handy more than you think. Why? I have an Onkyo entry level receiver which doesn't have any kind of proper EQ program. Should I gather the courage to or be in need of some EQing, I'd have to do it manually. Based of what you just wrote, I could do the following:

a) download individual test tones from YouTube, and run them individually like you indicate in your procedure.

b) downloand a SPL app (not ideal, but it's no so easy to get a hand on a proper meter or microphone)

From there on, try to do my best, because I have literally never done something like this. But I wouldn't want to get too far ahead of myself; first I need my sub. Less than two months to go! ( This wait is killing me).

I feel blessed for having guys like you and mthomas schooling me on these subjects.

Much appreciated!!
Thanks but I'm hardly an expert in these matters. I've just been hanging around these parts long enough and had enough experience tinkering with my own gear to impart whatever experience I've had.

In the old days (read: 1990s), everyone just went down to the local Radio Shack and got the same meter that everyone else had and just played test tones from a CD or similar source (Stereophile had a disc they published for this purpose back then).

These days you can buy calibrated USB microphones for a reasonable cost and hook them up to a PC. The PC plays the test tone through the speakers, the mic records it and everything happens quickly and precisely. The main reason I didn't do this was that I already had the old Radio Shack meter sitting in a drawer and decided to use it and do the manual process from 10-20 years back. If you had a calibrated USB mic and a proper test tone and measuring program, the software could do the entire sweep of frequencies and give you a nice pretty chart all in the press of a button....way easier than manually entering values in a spreadsheet. But both work for the sake of this exercise.

At the end of the day, you're looking for as flat a response over the frequencies the subwoofer lives in based on the crossover point you selected. If you choose a higher crossover like 80 or 100 hz, then the higher frequencies will end up being relevant, like 200 and 160 hz. I was able to ignore them since I chose a lower point like 50 hz. If you find that your subwoofer placement gets you a nice reasonably flat profile (within +/- 3 dbs of your expected frequency) then declare victory and go home. If you find that you have significant nulls or peaks in the data (I found +/- 10 dbs in some places!), then your only choices are either to move the sub (difficult or impossible in some rooms) or start changing the phase on the sub and retest.

The crossover point can also make a difference too. Originally I had chosen a higher point (63 hz) but I found it was easier keeping that flat response at a 50 hz crossover. My 2-channel tower speakers are old....Soundwave Grand Soliloquys from the mid 1990s). They are big and imposing but I never really spent a lot of time measuring their lower range until recently. And there isn't a lot of data on them other than very old reviews from the era. But SVS's Merlin database did list them as crossing over at 50 hz which is about what I saw. It's not that they don't have some depth below that but it starts falling off to the point where they clearly need help. Most modern towers roll off lower....40 hz or below these days.

In the end, the SB13-Ultra is a pretty nice and occasionally obvious addition to the music I play. I played the new Beyonce/Jay-Z album that dropped yesterday on Tidal...hip-hop usually has a deep bass groove and the music wouldn't have been the same without the lower frequencies played effectively. Best of all the sound is even, tight and controlled.
AmerCa likes this.
Sevenfeet is offline  
post #28413 of 31561 Old 06-17-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 1641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
The crossover point can also make a difference too. Originally I had chosen a higher point (63 hz) but I found it was easier keeping that flat response at a 50 hz crossover.
I have small bookshelf speakers, so I'll definitely need to play with a higher crossover. If I'm understanding you correctly, I run each test tone individually, and with the SPL meter I verify each frequency registers +/- 3db from, say, 70db. If not, I have a peak or a null, and then I'll need to make adjustments until I have this right. If I'm lucky, and my room or sub placement gives me that flat response, I can call it a day.

Ok, it sounds a little less daunting than before. Out of curiosity I'll give it a go when my sub arrives. Not having an EQ program could actually be a good thing, since I have the chance to get a more solid understanding about sound and bass. Somehow, I have the feeling I just went into the rabbit hole I didn't want to go...
AmerCa is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #28414 of 31561 Old 06-17-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sevenfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
I have small bookshelf speakers, so I'll definitely need to play with a higher crossover. If I'm understanding you correctly, I run each test tone individually, and with the SPL meter I verify each frequency registers +/- 3db from, say, 70db. If not, I have a peak or a null, and then I'll need to make adjustments until I have this right. If I'm lucky, and my room or sub placement gives me that flat response, I can call it a day.

Ok, it sounds a little less daunting than before. Out of curiosity I'll give it a go when my sub arrives. Not having an EQ program could actually be a good thing, since I have the chance to get a more solid understanding about sound and bass. Somehow, I have the feeling I just went into the rabbit hole I didn't want to go...
Exactly. So let's say your bookshelves begin to roll off at 80hz. Set your crossover for no lower than that (and we're assuming the default slope, don't fool with this just yet) and with your tone generator, play 200, 160, 120, 100, 80, 63, 50, 40, 31.5 and 20 hz. Note the SPL (volume) levels on each play and log them in a spreadsheet. If everything plays pretty evenly at 70 dbs or close to it, then declare victory and stop. If you see one or a number of them significantly peak or null, then try adjusting the phase and begin a new row in your spreadsheet. As you continue changing phases, you can review which phases did better than others overall.

A hint: don't look for absolute perfection because it's unlikely you'll find it. Just find the phase that works best over the majority of frequencies.

If everything is consistent but not what you previous tested the speaker alone for volume at a higher frequency (like 800-2000 hz), then you can adjust the master volume on the sub and try again. I think SVS subs by default ship at -20 db volume. You should never have to go about 0 dbs lest you risk overdriving the sub. My SB13 is sitting comfortably at a volume of -7 dbs.
kemetblk and AmerCa like this.

Last edited by Sevenfeet; 06-17-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Sevenfeet is offline  
post #28415 of 31561 Old 06-17-2018, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sevenfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
I really wanted to do a PC, but there was no way to realistically get it into my living room. It was going to have to go behind the TV in a cutout in a custom tv stand & A/V shelves I'm going to build for new L/R/C speakers and the TV to sit on. Didn't seem like a good idea to have that sitting behind all that wood/etc and there's nowhere else in the room for it to go. Oh well, maybe the next house
The PC2000 was deceptively larger than I thought it was going to be. And for that, you understand why SVS moved to primarily offer box subs a long time ago. Cylinder subs are nice and work for some situations. But I imagine it's a lot easier getting a PB1000 or 2000 past the significant other than "What the hell is that thing?"
MRinDenver, AmerCa and Sask HT like this.
Sevenfeet is offline  
post #28416 of 31561 Old 06-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I don't like the look of cylinders.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is offline  
post #28417 of 31561 Old 06-17-2018, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Louis Bartay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
PC Looks

It's about the sound. :-) the rest is personal taste vs wife vs room furniture etc . It does have a smaller "foot print" then my PB 13 Ultra for sure.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
Louis Bartay is offline  
post #28418 of 31561 Old 06-17-2018, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Yes, but...

You could also say that about cars - but beside quality/performance, I do care how the car looks like.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is offline  
post #28419 of 31561 Old 06-17-2018, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Louis Bartay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Yes and you can say that about women too you have them that "Run" hard and some that just "Look" good. But when you find both........ on the flip side. Women say "Size" does matter. So GO Big on subs. J/K what ever sounds good for your hearing, budget and your room. Some say the cylinders are better for special effects in Blurays. I have never had both in my room to test.
AmerCa likes this.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
Louis Bartay is offline  
post #28420 of 31561 Old 06-19-2018, 06:41 AM
Member
 
Quetzalcoalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 131
If someone is considering the PB-1000.

Sub is placed in the left top corner of the room and it's around 5 meters (16.4 feet) away from the listening position.
Room is roughly measured 50 m² or 538.20 ft²
It's a fairy large living area (for the EU) and a normal sized kitchen combo room.
You can see more details here.

This is what the sub can do to it's limits.

AmerCa and Sask HT like this.
Quetzalcoalt is offline  
post #28421 of 31561 Old 06-19-2018, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 2,010
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzalcoalt View Post
If someone is considering the PB-1000.

Sub is placed in the left top corner of the room and it's around 5 meters (16.4 feet) away from the listening position.
Room is roughly measured 50 m² or 538.20 ft²
It's a fairy large living area (for the EU) and a normal sized kitchen combo room.
You can see more details here.

This is what the sub can do to it's limits.

Youtube Video
That Dolby Amaze video is one of my favorite sub demos. Hits really low and hard. At higher volumes my dual PC-4000s shake my whole living room floor and flex the windows.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
confinoj is online now  
post #28422 of 31561 Old 06-19-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Louis Bartay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
That Dolby Amaze video is one of my favorite sub demos. Hits really low and hard. At higher volumes my dual PC-4000s shake my whole living room floor and flex the windows.
I am looking for a DVD of Dolby Amaze to try. I went to the Doby site but my old OS won't let me download. I need a new PC and updated OS, it's next on my "list". 2015 or so Dolby mailed me a demo DVD but I don't see one for the Amaze.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
Louis Bartay is offline  
post #28423 of 31561 Old 06-19-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 2,010
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
I am looking for a DVD of Dolby Amaze to try. I went to the Doby site but my old OS won't let me download. I need a new PC and updated OS, it's next on my "list". 2015 or so Dolby mailed me a demo DVD but I don't see one for the Amaze.
You can download the amaze video from link below. Make sure you get the lossless/atmos version. Let us know what you think. Your PB13 should do a nice job with it.

https://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dolby-trailers/
kemetblk and Louis Bartay like this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
confinoj is online now  
post #28424 of 31561 Old 06-19-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Louis Bartay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
You can download the amaze video from link below. Make sure you get the lossless/atmos version. Let us know what you think. Your PB13 should do a nice job with it.

https://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dolby-trailers/
My PC does not burn Bluray does this matter? I am so not into streaming music saved in a drive. I am old school, never liked MP3 etc compressed music vs my turn table or CD is lacking in detail for me. I want a disc to use in PS3 so I can play it thru my HT system. My AVR does not go online so I need a disc burned.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
Louis Bartay is offline  
post #28425 of 31561 Old 06-19-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 2,010
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
My PC does not burn Bluray does this matter? I am so not into streaming music saved in a drive. I am old school, never liked MP3 etc compressed music vs my turn table or CD is lacking in detail for me. I want a disc to use in PS3 so I can play it thru my HT system. My AVR does not go online so I need a disc burned.
Looking at your equipment list you don't have any good option to play black the lossless version. Your PS4 will play the lossy version (first one on the list) on a USB stick so you can try that one. Don't know how the bass compares but worth a listen anyway. Would only take a couple minutes to try it.
Louis Bartay likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
confinoj is online now  
post #28426 of 31561 Old 06-19-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Louis Bartay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Looking at your equipment list you don't have any good option to play black the lossless version. Your PS4 will play the lossy version (first one on the list) on a USB stick so you can try that one. Don't know how the bass compares but worth a listen anyway. Would only take a couple minutes to try it.
I will try the stick in the PS4, how do you play this lossless demo on your subs? ............. my next upgrade after a new "Gamer" PC next month is a ATMOS AVR that streams music, firmware updates etc. income tax refund is ear marked for this next AVR. Hard to talk the wife into a new AVR when then the 2009 we have still works great.......but no streaming,ATMOS etc ...she likes Bluray A/V and is happy :-( Thanks
Louis

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
Louis Bartay is offline  
post #28427 of 31561 Old 06-19-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 2,010
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
I will try the stick in the PS4, how do you play this lossless demo on your subs? ............. my next upgrade after a new "Gamer" PC next month is a ATMOS AVR that streams music, firmware updates etc. income tax refund is ear marked for this next AVR. Hard to talk the wife into a new AVR when then the 2009 we have still works great.......but no streaming,ATMOS etc ...she likes Bluray A/V and is happy :-( Thanks
Louis
I have a windows PC dedicated as a media server. I can access media on it multiple ways over my network via an Nvidia Shield, Apple TV 4K, or Oppo 203. All my discs are ripped and in a Plex library so I don't use physical disc much except for when I first get them and haven't gotten to ripping them yet.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
confinoj is online now  
post #28428 of 31561 Old 06-19-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Louis Bartay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
I have a windows PC dedicated as a media server. I can access media on it multiple ways over my network via an Nvidia Shield, Apple TV 4K, or Oppo 203. All my discs are ripped and in a Plex library so I don't use physical disc much except for when I first get them and haven't gotten to ripping them yet.
Thanks thats what my Son (35) just emailed me. I will be able to rip my A/V disc again after he replaces the mother board etc etc, I still play video games. My PC was a "Gamer" in 2008 or so. Now Vista Ultimate is not supported anymore and keeps me from down loading the new Chrome etc ........ like I said time to upgrade PC next month.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
Louis Bartay is offline  
post #28429 of 31561 Old 06-19-2018, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
I don't know how many of you use the trigger input, but here are some tips I've found in the past few weeks of living with my PB-16:

  1. The tip of the 1/8" plug must be positive. If the tip is ground and the sleeve positive, plugging in the trigger will make a loud pop from the sub as it acts as if you've plugged in an audio input while the system was live, and the trigger voltage will not be "seen."

  2. Because the ground for the trigger input is apparently the same as ground elsewhere in the sub amp, it's trivial to cause ground loop hum if the sleeve of your trigger cable is tied to ground on a remote component. For example, even though the sub input is being fed from my processor, tying the sleeve of the trigger cable to the "-" trigger output caused hum.

  3. Because of this, I found what worked best was to just tie the tip of the plug to the positive trigger output of the processor and not connect the ground at all since it was now clear the trigger ground was the component ground and the trigger input will detect the voltage if you just supply the positive trigger voltage.
AmerCa likes this.
kucharsk is online now  
post #28430 of 31561 Old 06-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Member
 
godwindx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 58
After 3 weeks of waiting. I'm finally got my PB2000 to replace the old Velodyne impact 12. (Yes,3 weeks. Because I'm not live in US) and Holy Jesus Christ this sub is a truly MONSTER that completely blow off me and my dad's mind. The Bass is clear and powerful,Bass Extend is way better than impact 12 that I can finally enjoy 17~28hz frequency in my small bed room (1328 cubic feet).

Although there is still a problem that whenever a 35hz hit in my room then cabinet will start shaking and making some noise,I think someone called it "standing wave" so I bought the SVS Soundpath Subwoofer Isolation system to reduce the noise and it does a GREAT job that is way better than impact 12 itself Isolation.

Now you might ask me why I didn't go for Monoprice Monolith 12 THX. Because 1.There wasn't much review when I start looking for a new sub. 2.I'm not live in US so the warranty become my second priority to pick a sub. 3.According to wiki the Monoprice is actually bought by a Taiwanese company "On Nov. 18, 2016, Monoprice and YFC-BonEagle Electric Co., Ltd. (YFC), a Taiwan-based provider of power cord sets and networking peripherals, announced that YFC acquired Monoprice in a cash transaction valued at $40 million." And guess what? THEY DON'T EVEN SELL THE SUB in Taiwan,which is where I live. So why should I support such company? 4.Personal issue, I don't like the Monolith 12 appearance . PB2000 has better looking to me.

Overall I'm REALLY happy that I made a great decision to buy this sub and I think anyone should try this sub as well.

Last edited by godwindx; 06-20-2018 at 10:33 AM.
godwindx is offline  
post #28431 of 31561 Old 06-20-2018, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwindx View Post
After 3 weeks of waiting. I'm finally got my PB2000 to replace the old Velodyne impact 12. (Yes,3 weeks. Because I'm not live in US) and Holy Jesus Christ this sub is a truly MONSTER that completely blow off me and my dad's mind. The Bass is clear and powerful,Bass Extend is way better than impact 12 that I can finally enjoy 17~28hz frequency in my small bed room (1328 cubic feet).

Although there is still a problem that whenever a 35hz hit in my room then cabinet will start shaking and making some noise,I think someone called it "standing wave" so I bought the SVS Soundpath Subwoofer Isolation system to reduce the noise and it does a GREAT job that is way better than impact 12 itself Isolation.

Now you might ask me why I didn't go for Monoprice Monolith 12 THX. Because 1.There wasn't much review when I start looking for a new sub. 2.I'm not live in US so the warranty become my second priority to pick a sub. 3.According to wiki the Monoprice is actually bought by a Taiwanese company "On Nov. 18, 2016, Monoprice and YFC-BonEagle Electric Co., Ltd. (YFC), a Taiwan-based provider of power cord sets and networking peripherals, announced that YFC acquired Monoprice in a cash transaction valued at $40 million." And guess what? THEY DON'T EVEN SELL THE SUB in Taiwan,which is where I live. So why should I support such company? 4.Personal issue, I don't like the Monolith 12 appearance . PB2000 has better looking to me.

Overall I'm REALLY happy that I made a great decision to buy this sub and I think anyone should try this sub as well.
congrats on your PB-2000. glad you like it. I have two on order at the moment. like you, I was considering dual 12 monoliths too. especially since they are available now and have been getting great reviews. both seem close in their specs, the monoliths are still fairly new, with limited info on them, so I went with SVS for now. Also great reviews ( more of them since they have been out a while) and of course great CS.
godwindx likes this.
thetman is offline  
post #28432 of 31561 Old 06-20-2018, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
flyinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
congrats on your PB-2000. glad you like it. I have two on order at the moment. like you, I was considering dual 12 monoliths too. especially since they are available now and have been getting great reviews. both seem close in their specs, the monoliths are still fairly new, with limited info on them, so I went with SVS for now. Also great reviews ( more of them since they have been out a while) and of course great CS.
I think limited time on market etc. is why I went SVS as well. I'd been literally hearing about SVS on various forums for over 10 years. Also their support has been EXTREMELY helpful multiple times with me emailing them room layout diagrams/pictures/etc. trying to figure out not only what subs to go with but also speakers for my overhaul of my system.
darthray and AmerCa like this.

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
flyinion is offline  
post #28433 of 31561 Old 06-20-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 1641
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
I think limited time on market etc. is why I went SVS as well. I'd been literally hearing about SVS on various forums for over 10 years. Also their support has been EXTREMELY helpful multiple times with me emailing them room layout diagrams/pictures/etc. trying to figure out not only what subs to go with but also speakers for my overhaul of my system.
Customer service pays in the long run. Since I started visiting this site, I've heard as much as good things about SVS customer service as their subs quality, they almost go hand to hand. Living in Mexico, I know one or two things about not bad, but TERRIBLE, customer service, so I'm inclined towards companies that value customer service as much as quality or good prices. It's a great reputation to have, and it's nice to see it's a deciding factor in many people's purchases.
AmerCa is online now  
post #28434 of 31561 Old 06-20-2018, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sevenfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
Customer service pays in the long run. Since I started visiting this site, I've heard as much as good things about SVS customer service as their subs quality, they almost go hand to hand. Living in Mexico, I know one or two things about not bad, but TERRIBLE, customer service, so I'm inclined towards companies that value customer service as much as quality or good prices. It's a great reputation to have, and it's nice to see it's a deciding factor in many people's purchases.
Customer satisfaction in many ways is extremely hard to do. The great companies make it look easy but everything from customer facing interaction to problem escalations have to be well thought out.

SVS has probably the most competition they have faced since they were founded. HSU has been doing this in this space for about as long but you also have PSA (whose roots came from SVS), JTR, Rythmik and even Monoprice making competitive products. You're never going to satisfy everyone but SVS purchases are easily safe choices in terms of performance and customer satisfaction.
Sevenfeet is offline  
post #28435 of 31561 Old 06-21-2018, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
flyinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 333
My PB-2000 showed up today. I'll get it unboxed for sure, not sure if I'll get a chance to play with it tonight though (guild raid night on an MMO I play on). I was worried at first about the condition of the exterior box having a few smalls rips/etc. but then I remembered this is an outlet one and it looks like it's probably the box that someone else received and returned it in since there are parts where it looks like various labels were removed with a knife to be replaced with labels to send to me. Took pictures just in case there are any actual issues but not expecting any.
Matt2026 and AmerCa like this.

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
flyinion is offline  
post #28436 of 31561 Old 06-21-2018, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 6,936
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 25398
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
My PB-2000 showed up today. I'll get it unboxed for sure, not sure if I'll get a chance to play with it tonight though (guild raid night on an MMO I play on). I was worried at first about the condition of the exterior box having a few smalls rips/etc. but then I remembered this is an outlet one and it looks like it's probably the box that someone else received and returned it in since there are parts where it looks like various labels were removed with a knife to be replaced with labels to send to me. Took pictures just in case there are any actual issues but not expecting any.
My last Ultra BS from the outlet sale came in a box with the same description as yours. Speaker looked brand new.

Enjoy

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Aircom T-8, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
Matt2026 is online now  
post #28437 of 31561 Old 06-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
flyinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
My last Ultra BS from the outlet sale came in a box with the same description as yours. Speaker looked brand new.

Enjoy
Will do. I know the sub itself has a couple marks (one reason it was in the Outlet) but for $70 savings and not having to wait for new ones to ship again I figure it's worth it
Matt2026 likes this.

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
flyinion is offline  
post #28438 of 31561 Old 06-21-2018, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,975
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
My PB-2000 showed up today.
Congrats...the PB-2000 should prove to be a significant upgrade from the CHT-8!
Louis Bartay likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #28439 of 31561 Old 06-22-2018, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
flyinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Congrats...the PB-2000 should prove to be a significant upgrade from the CHT-8!
Yep. Got it unboxed tonight. Wow, I knew it was big, but I didn't "really" know until I got one in my house. The perspective is a little off in the pic but the TV stand is 1-2" taller than the sub. It's only sitting there temporarily for a month or so until I figure out the rest of my speakers and I get the new entertainment unit (basically just a custom full width TV stand) built with space for the PB-2000 to go where the Velodyne is sitting right now.


Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
flyinion is offline  
post #28440 of 31561 Old 06-23-2018, 12:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Anyone else had their PB16-U cycle between "PB16 / ULTRA / VOLUME" on the display and produce no sound?
I've a feeling the amp is done for..

Denon X8500H -> DDRC-88BM -> NAD M27, QE65FNAT, Arendal - Tower, Center, Surroundx4, 4x XTZ S2, 2x PB16-U, Nvidia Shield, Xbox Scorpio/PS4 Pro/Switch
duffus2 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off