Originally Posted by DarkEnigma
I have the chance to upgrade my dual 12 pluses to pb 13 ultras. Does anyone think its worth it or should i hold out for the 4000/pb16?
Currently have to run both at max gain to get the output levels i enjoy. They still sound fantastic to me 90% of the time, but the other 10% i reach its limits and can hear driver distortion.
As mike mentioned though it looks as though the 13 ultra is only a bit more powerful...
That's a tough question. I have had all of those subs, so let me try to piece together some of the pros and cons. I had three Pluses in my large room and was bottoming them out too often. When I upgraded to 13 Ultras, I upgraded in number as well as in the model. But, it was immediately clear to me that I had lower extension and more headroom. After that, I didn't hit my subwoofers' limits again, and the subsequent upgrade to PB16's was just for fun. But, they have been fun, as they gave me an extra 4db below about 35Hz, and that's where I really wanted it.
So, if you are looking to go as deep as you can go, with as much tactile ULF as you can get, the PB16's will do even better at that than the PB13's (or PB4000's) can. But, they will also cost a lot more. There is a chance that the PB13's will give you enough additional SPL and low-frequency extension to make you happy 100% of the time, instead of just 90%. And, there is something nice about being able to upgrade gradually, as our financial circumstances improve, or as we decide that it's really worth it. So, I think that I would be inclined to try the PB13's, especially since you will still have the free-trial period going for you.
The PB4000's are cooler than the PB13's, and I traded-in my nearfield PB13, after they came out, so that all of my subs would match in appearance and in user controls. But, from a strictly performance/output standpoint, they aren't really better than the PB13's. So, for the extra cost, I couldn't really advise you to buy them instead of the PB13's.
Balancing all of this, I would probably try upgrading to the PB13's. Down the road, if you still wanted to upgrade further, you could either add another PB13, or make the move up to the PB16's, depending on circumstances. But, I do think that the PB13's are an all-around better subwoofer than the Pluses, even though I might have wished for even more difference between them. And, I think there is a good chance they will be enough to keep you from running out of headroom for a while. That assumes, of course, that you don't immediately want to run them even hotter than you were running the Pluses.