Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 980 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44802Likes

post #29371 of 31790 Old 10-21-2018, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon1 View Post
Hello What Q Factor would you set at 6db boost at 63hz..?
I have bosted 3db at 63hz whit a Q Factor on 2.4 now.
But dont realy understand what the q factor does and whats the best to set at 3db or 4db or 5db and 6db at 63hz when you whant that extra chest punch "slam" maybe youst so you get a smother curve..? And better for the Subwoofer..?
And how much can you raise the db at 63hz whitout damage the subwoofer.?
Sorry for the newbie qustion..:-) youst whant to learn..:-)

Best regards

In short, it is how fast any frequencies is cut, from it's average, to other frequencies.
Here's the best simple link, I could find;
https://www.rane.com/note101.html
A little bit hard for me to explain, in my own words.

Ray
Ok thanks for the link..
But do you think i could use Q factor 2.4 on 63hz 6d also or must i have a bigger Q factor for it to work better..? Pros and cons on that..? I Will dig in and read the link u sent me tonight.

Best regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29372 of 31790 Old 10-21-2018, 06:17 AM
WLC

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Sealed Sub Integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
As I mentioned earlier, musically the sub blends in perfectly with the speakers and I get a nice balance so I don't want to I don't want to lose that. I started listening to more and music since I got the SB-2000 dialed in as it sounds so much better. Both of my other subs don't even come close, though they are much cheaper. When it comes to HT the sub does sound very good and performs quite well, but falls a little short on TR. It's a trade off I was well aware when I bought the sub, but I did expect a little more TR to be honest. That said, musical performance is far more important to me so Im leaning towards the 2nd sub option.

I have not at any point considered moving the Bic back into the room.
One of the things I noticed with sealed SB16's is how they disappear. I can't tell when they are producing the sounds versus the other 7 speakers. I consider this a major plus. It is just one seamless surround sound experience. Although the good ported subs I had previously were enjoyable, you always knew when they were playing. This is exactly the same experience I then had integrating two PC4000's into my stereo. I bought them because of space limitations. In ported mode, I always knew when they were contributing. After sealing them, the sound again became seamless. I can well understand that many people don't like this effect. Just wanted to offer this point of view for consideration.
mthomas47 and Magellan55 like this.
post #29373 of 31790 Old 10-21-2018, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked: 3367
Quote:
Ok thanks for the link..
But do you think i could use Q factor 2.4 on 63hz 6d also or must i have a bigger Q factor for it to work better..? Pros and cons on that..? I Will dig in and read the link u sent me tonight.

Best regards

I will leave this one to others, Too many years have pass since I did manual EQ.
And most of mine, were trial and error, and readjust, and more readjust, after looking at results from my Q adjustment on a certain frequency. And many time after adjusting a certain frequency, it did affect the one next to it

I will leave this one, for the ones with real experience, with manual EQ.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 10-21-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29374 of 31790 Old 10-21-2018, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Need some suggestions. Recently redid my house and received the wife's blessing to move my set up from the garage into the living room. Issue I'm running into now is my PSW505 is woefully under powered for this size of space. The whole room is open concept, so the living room, dinning room, and kitchen are all open to each other. I have over 6000ft3 worth of room to fill with bass now.

My 2 major questions I have are
Single PB-4000 or Dual PB-2000's
and
Placement

Right now I have my sub in at the bottom of my media rack on the right wall. Once I really started doing research, it sounds like that's probably not the best location. If I keep the PSW505 going I can move in on the fireplace hearth in between the towers. But if I upgraded to an SVS, I would have to move the towers onto the hearth and put the subwoofer on either side of the speakers.
Buying the one PB-4000 would mean either putting it in the right corner of the room, or the left side which is more open to the kitchen.
Buying the two PB-2000's would mean one on each side.
I could eventually swing buying a second PB-4000 but it wouldn't be for at least a year. For the time being would I be doing myself a disservice by only having one sub, or is the upgrade from the 2000 to the 4000 worthwhile enough to hold me off? As you can see there isnt a lot of seating positions to worry about, and I really only have to worry about myself and sometimes the wife watching movies. But the amount of cubic space in the room is very large, so would the dual 2000's get lost in there?

Equipment:
RTiA9's powered by dual 200 watt outlaw monoblocks
CSiA6 center
Onkyo TX-RZ1100 9.2 ch receiver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	615.6 KB
ID:	2471614   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	531.0 KB
ID:	2471616   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	2471618   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	600.3 KB
ID:	2471620  
post #29375 of 31790 Old 10-21-2018, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post
Need some suggestions. Recently redid my house and received the wife's blessing to move my set up from the garage into the living room. Issue I'm running into now is my PSW505 is woefully under powered for this size of space. The whole room is open concept, so the living room, dinning room, and kitchen are all open to each other. I have over 6000ft3 worth of room to fill with bass now.

and
Placement

Right now I have my sub in at the bottom of my media rack on the right wall. Once I really started doing research, it sounds like that's probably not the best location. If I keep the PSW505 going I can move in on the fireplace hearth in between the towers. But if I upgraded to an SVS, I would have to move the towers onto the hearth and put the subwoofer on either side of the speakers.
Buying the one PB-4000 would mean either putting it in the right corner of the room, or the left side which is more open to the kitchen.
I could eventually swing buying a second PB-4000 but it wouldn't be for at least a year. For the time being would I be doing myself a disservice by only having one sub, or is the upgrade from the 2000 to the 4000 worthwhile enough to hold me off? As you can see there isnt a lot of seating positions to worry about, and I really only have to worry about myself and sometimes the wife watching movies. But the amount of cubic space in the room is very large, so would the dual 2000's get lost in there?

Equipment:
CSiA6 center

If I were You, I would then choose this plan of attack.

Buy one for now, then later, even if it more than a year. Get a second one later.
This way, you have a very capable sub, that you enjoy for now. And if you feel you need a second one.
A year or so, can go by very fast.
In the long run, better save to add one more sub. Then trying selling two subs and get a couple more, of the more expensive type, and no "what if, factor", and much cheaper.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 10-21-2018 at 07:41 PM.
post #29376 of 31790 Old 10-21-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Ok thanks for the link..

Best regards

I will leave this one to others, Too many years have pass since I did manual EQ.
And most of mine, were trial and error, and readjust, and more readjust, after looking at results from my Q adjustment on a certain frequency. And many time after adjusting a certain frequency, it did affect the one next to it[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

I will leave this one, for the ones with real experience, with manual EQ.

Ray
Ok thanks for answear

Best regards
post #29377 of 31790 Old 10-21-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:

and
Placement

Equipment:
CSiA6 center

If I were You, I would then choose this plan of attack.

Buy one for now, then later, even if it more than a year. Get a second one later.
This way, you have a very capable sub, that you enjoy for now. And if you feel you need a second one.
A year or so, can go by very fast.
In the long run, better save to add one more sub. Then trying selling two subs and get a couple more, of the more expensive type, and no "what if, factor", and much cheaper.

Ray
Im whit Ray on this qustion, get the PB4000.

Best regards
darthray likes this.
post #29378 of 31790 Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 5540 Post(s)
Liked: 10682
Quote:

and
Placement

Equipment:
CSiA6 center

Hi,

I think that a lot depends on where you are located. If you are in the US, and are able to take advantage of the one-year upgrade plan, then I would consider getting dual PB or PC2000's now, with the prospect of upgrading to dual 4000's in the future. As you observed, your current subwoofer location is not a very good one. Enclosing the subwoofer in an alcove that way is almost certainly going to produce a boomier sound. But, there is nothing that says that your new subwoofer would have to be located directly in either one of the corners. (The kitchen cabinet will act like a wall where the subwoofer is concerned.) Perhaps the subwoofer could also work well on the hearth.

If you don't mind my saying this, I am not a fan of seeing you move your front speakers onto the hearth. I think that is really going to narrow your front soundstage. I would like to see you keep your front speakers spread widely apart, and slightly forward of the alcoves, and then to locate the dual subwoofers where they sound the best and where they still look acceptable. That might very well be in the two corners, in close proximity to the speakers. Or it might be with one up front and one somewhere behind you.

Starting with PC2000's would perhaps give you additional placement opportunities, and the footprint of the cylinders wouldn't change as you moved to PC4000's. They would just get a few inches taller. (The performance of the box subs and the cylinders would be essentially identical.)

Dual 2000's will actually have more total SPL than a single 4000, although the 4000 will have slightly lower extension. If you are located where you can upgrade for full value, by just paying for return shipping, I think that getting dual 2000's initially might be a very viable option. If not, then I would buy a 4000 in either the PB or PC configuration. But, I would position that single 4000 wherever it sounds the best, and that may take just a little trial-and-error to determine. You also want to be sure to balance your priorities, and not compromise your front speakers too much in favor of your under 120Hz sound.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #29379 of 31790 Old 10-22-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

I think that a lot depends on where you are located. If you are in the US, and are able to take advantage of the one-year upgrade plan, then I would consider getting dual PB or PC2000's now, with the prospect of upgrading to dual 4000's in the future. As you observed, your current subwoofer location is not a very good one. Enclosing the subwoofer in an alcove that way is almost certainly going to produce a boomier sound. But, there is nothing that says that your new subwoofer would have to be located directly in either one of the corners. (The kitchen cabinet will act like a wall where the subwoofer is concerned.) Perhaps the subwoofer could also work well on the hearth.

If you don't mind my saying this, I am not a fan of seeing you move your front speakers onto the hearth. I think that is really going to narrow your front soundstage. I would like to see you keep your front speakers spread widely apart, and slightly forward of the alcoves, and then to locate the dual subwoofers where they sound the best and where they still look acceptable. That might very well be in the two corners, in close proximity to the speakers. Or it might be with one up front and one somewhere behind you.

Starting with PC2000's would perhaps give you additional placement opportunities, and the footprint of the cylinders wouldn't change as you moved to PC4000's. They would just get a few inches taller. (The performance of the box subs and the cylinders would be essentially identical.)

Dual 2000's will actually have more total SPL than a single 4000, although the 4000 will have slightly lower extension. If you are located where you can upgrade for full value, by just paying for return shipping, I think that getting dual 2000's initially might be a very viable option. If not, then I would buy a 4000 in either the PB or PC configuration. But, I would position that single 4000 wherever it sounds the best, and that may take just a little trial-and-error to determine. You also want to be sure to balance your priorities, and not compromise your front speakers too much in favor of your under 120Hz sound.

Regards,
Mike
Both @darthray and @mthomas47 have provided excellent advice. Although my response is very similar, it comes from a previous PB-2000 owner's perspective. IMO, coming from a PSW505, dual PB/PC-2000 will be a substantial/enormous upgrade...in terms of extension, output, and sound quality...even in your 6000cf space. There is no doubt you will be ecstatic. I've owned dual PB-2000's and they performed very well in my almost 5000cf space. Although, I've upgraded since, the gains have been more incremental.

For most, the following two subwoofer golden rules usually govern....(1) at any given time, buy the most subwoofer you budget allows and (2) then, sooner or later, you'll will develop an appetite for more bass and will inevitably upgrade further. In your scenario, I would normally recommend the dual PB/PC-2000's as I feel they will more than satisfy your needs...but this is dependent on whether SVS's Bill of Rights is available to you. As Mike also indicated, you can live with the 2000's for up to a year and upgrade without consequence and loss of $$$. If you reside where the Bill of Rights is not available, then a single PB/PC-4000 now and a second one later would also be my recommendation.

Lastly, I would also discourage moving your mains closer together as your sound stage will likely suffer. And if you are a true enthusiast, you are aware that the key to best/excellent subwoofer performance is proper location. Unfortunately, location(s) is/are often compromised by aesthetics and WAF. Good luck with your decisions and be sure to post pictures!

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #29380 of 31790 Old 10-22-2018, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok thanks for answear

Best regards

Your Welcome

I ratter say, that I do not know the answer, then looking like I am ignoring You
Just try a few different Q, and see what sound best to You.

Best of luck with this exercise, Audio is lot of try and error, especially with subs and speaker toe-in
And also, try to have fun when doing-it, this remove frustration and help in the learning process.

Ray
PULSAR3002 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 10-22-2018 at 06:55 PM.
post #29381 of 31790 Old 10-22-2018, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Both @darthray and @mthomas47 have provided excellent advice. Although my response is very similar, it comes from a previous PB-2000 owner's perspective. IMO, coming from a PSW505, dual PB/PC-2000 will be a substantial/enormous upgrade...in terms of extension, output, and sound quality...even in your 6000cf space. There is no doubt you will be ecstatic. I've owned dual PB-2000's and they performed very well in my almost 5000cf space. Although, I've upgraded since, the gains have been more incremental.

For most, the following two subwoofer golden rules usually govern....(1) at any given time, buy the most subwoofer you budget allows and (2) then, sooner or later, you'll will develop an appetite for more bass and will inevitably upgrade further. In your scenario, I would normally recommend the dual PB/PC-2000's as I feel they will more than satisfy your needs...but this is dependent on whether SVS's Bill of Rights is available to you. As Mike also indicated, you can live with the 2000's for up to a year and upgrade without consequence and loss of $$$. If you reside where the Bill of Rights is not available, then a single PB/PC-4000 now and a second one later would also be my recommendation.

Lastly, I would also discourage moving your mains closer together as your sound stage will likely suffer. And if you are a true enthusiast, you are aware that the key to best/excellent subwoofer performance is proper location. Unfortunately, location(s) is/are often compromised by aesthetics and WAF. Good luck with your decisions and be sure to post pictures!

+1

So true in so many way

Ray
post #29382 of 31790 Old 10-22-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Ok thanks for answear

Best regards

Your Welcome

I ratter say, that I do not know the answer, then looking like I am ignoring You[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Just try a few different Q, and see what sound best to You.

Best of luck with this exercise, Audio is lot of try and error, especially with subs and speaker toe-in[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]
And also, try to have fun when doing-it, this remove frustration and help in the learning process.

Ray
Hi Asked Svs now also and they told me to try Q factor at 2.2 and have that on al the raise i do 3db - 4db - 5db - 6db at 60hz for the best chest punch "slam".
So i Will test around..🙂

Best regards
post #29383 of 31790 Old 10-23-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Asked Svs now also and they told me to try Q factor at 2.2 and have that on al the raise i do 3db - 4db - 5db - 6db at 60hz for the best chest punch "slam".
So i Will test around..🙂

Best regards

Also try some Q around the suggestion of 2.2, some a little below and some a little bit above., and the same can be apply to your boost.

Just to make sure you got dial in to your perfect liking, since it is very hard to predict on your sub will sound in your room.
At least you got a good starting point, to experiment with.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 10-23-2018 at 07:26 PM.
post #29384 of 31790 Old 10-24-2018, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

and
Placement

Equipment:
CSiA6 center
I vote two pb2000 on the hearth if its deep enough or pb2000 right next to the hearth oh yeah hide the wires in the wall leads to better WAF so bigger sub lol

Cxa5100, Emotiva upa1 x3, primare a30. 5 primare spa21 two channel pre, Sonus Faber toy towers front Toy center, concerto atmos, Totem mite surround Audiocontrol epicenter, Velodyne splr8, little bear tube pre, pbj, kkobra, outlaw 850
post #29385 of 31790 Old 10-24-2018, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
So i Will test around..🙂

Best regards
Hi,

I've been playing around with my PB16 last couple of weeks with advise from Mike and some of the boys and will be doing re calibration this weekend. Was wondering for what application are you looking for chest punch effect. I actually tried your setting recommended by SVS yesterday and it wasn't to bad for Vinyl playback but I'm not sure it will benefit movies.
post #29386 of 31790 Old 10-24-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee3 View Post
Quote:
So i Will test around..🙂

Best regards
Hi,

I've been playing around with my PB16 last couple of weeks with advise from Mike and some of the boys and will be doing re calibration this weekend. Was wondering for what application are you looking for chest punch effect. I actually tried your setting recommended by SVS yesterday and it wasn't to bad for Vinyl playback but I'm not sure it will benefit movies.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Hi
It's for movies only dont play so much music in the movie room.
Im after that hard hitting in your chest punch "slam". When something fast hits you.
And im still testing to se whats the best for me. And of course diffrent in every room.
They told me to test This betwin 55hz-60hz becouse there is were im looking for is
bigzee3 likes this.

Last edited by Jaxon1; 10-24-2018 at 01:33 PM.
post #29387 of 31790 Old 10-24-2018, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Hi
It's for movies only dont play so much music in the movie room.
Im after that hard hitting in your chest punch "slam". When something fast hits you.
And im still testing to se whats the best for me. And of course diffrent in every room.
They told me to test This betwin 55hz-60hz becouse there is were im looking for is
You should probably test it between 50 and around 120hz.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #29388 of 31790 Old 10-25-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiz Dal Pont View Post
Hi all, not know if this is the best place to this question. First of all, sorry for my english.
I'm thinking of getting a minidsp 2x4 to use between my onkyo tx-nr818 and my svs-pb1000 pair.
Anyone know the the input level voltage of the SVS-PB1000? Cant find this info. The output voltage of the minidsp 2x4 is 0.9v. This will be enough?
The gain sensitivity of the Sledge STA-300D amp is about 350 mV at full gain. This is the minimum input voltage to drive the amp to full power at the max gain setting.

Naturally at lower gain settings, a higher input voltage will be required to drive the amp to full power - and this is typical behavior for any subwoofer amp.

The 0.9V 2x4 variant will work, but may require a high gain setting on the PB-1000. The 2V version is preferred and will give you some gain headroom.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #29389 of 31790 Old 10-25-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post

I recommend going with the PB-4000. We'll honor the $200 duals discount on the 2nd PB-4000 for up to a year.

And upgrading from the PB-2000 to the PB-4000 is expensive because the 2-way shipping of anything which goes freight is expensive. So this is a less attractive path IMO vs. going with the PB-4000 up front.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #29390 of 31790 Old 10-26-2018, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Stupid question. I just set up my SB-4000 and I set the display timeout using app for 20 seconds or 10 seconds but it never turns off?

Am I missing anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT Room: Anthem AVM60 (replaced Marantz AV7005 & Parasound Halo C2), Parasound Halo A51 & A23, Monitor Audio GR60, GR Centre, GR10, GSFX, SVS SB-4000, Sony 75X900e, PS4

Family Room: Yamaha RX-A2060, PSB Imagine T2, Imagine Centre, Imagine B, Oppo Digital BDP-80, Samsung QN65Q7CN
post #29391 of 31790 Old 10-26-2018, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Ok thanks for the link..

Best regards

Curious to know what you settled at. I started trying (today) 60hz, Q2.2, +3db based on what you have written above. Hesitant to go too much louder as I thought it would then draw more attention to the sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigzee3 likes this.

HT Room: Anthem AVM60 (replaced Marantz AV7005 & Parasound Halo C2), Parasound Halo A51 & A23, Monitor Audio GR60, GR Centre, GR10, GSFX, SVS SB-4000, Sony 75X900e, PS4

Family Room: Yamaha RX-A2060, PSB Imagine T2, Imagine Centre, Imagine B, Oppo Digital BDP-80, Samsung QN65Q7CN
post #29392 of 31790 Old 10-27-2018, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I currently have an trusty M&K MX-350 MKII Subwoofer and am looking to upgrade my subwoofer as it now has an issue (thumps when turning off) which gives me an excuse to upgrade. I am looking at the SVS range. My room is 11ft Wide, 17ft Length, and 8ft High. There is an opening in the back of the room into another smaller room where my equipment rack is.

Haven't looked at subwoofers for over 14 years. I assume a single SB-16 would be a large upgrade over my MX-350 Subwoofer which is 18Hz-200kHz? The MK subwoofer is a push/pull design and I have been very happy with the sound. Since I can't find push pull design subs anymore (there either ported or sealed) I don't know which way to go? I also would assume dual SB-16 would be even better.

I spoke to a SVS dealer whom said to go for dual SB2000 and that the SB16/PB16 are just overkill for small rooms as they don't do much for the subtle parts of movies in a small room until they get loud in which case they would over power my main speakers which are M&K MX-150P Actives?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
post #29393 of 31790 Old 10-27-2018, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
I currently have an trusty M&K MX-350 MKII Subwoofer and am looking to upgrade my subwoofer as it now has an issue (thumps when turning off) which gives me an excuse to upgrade. I am looking at the SVS range. My room is 11ft Wide, 17ft Length, and 8ft High. There is an opening in the back of the room into another smaller room where my equipment rack is.

Haven't looked at subwoofers for over 14 years. I assume a single SB-16 would be a large upgrade over my MX-350 Subwoofer which is 18Hz-200kHz? The MK subwoofer is a push/pull design and I have been very happy with the sound. Since I can't find push pull design subs anymore (there either ported or sealed) I don't know which way to go? I also would assume dual SB-16 would be even better.

I spoke to a SVS dealer whom said to go for dual SB2000 and that the SB16/PB16 are just overkill for small rooms as they don't do much for the subtle parts of movies in a small room until they get loud in which case they would over power my main speakers which are M&K MX-150P Actives?

Hello, no such thing as an overkill, always better to have more than less. also you never know you might change your room to a larger space so you don't to spend more to get bigger/better subs down the road. If you calibrate them correctly depending on your processor/AV receiver then you will get good results.

I love my SB16's and would never want to think about an upgrade at least for the next 5-6 years or so.

Hope that helps.
Spizz and Louis Bartay like this.

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden
post #29394 of 31790 Old 10-27-2018, 06:29 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

Hi,

I wish that I could tell you that I have had good experiences with the "expertise" of most audio dealers, but I haven't. I like the fact that your dealer isn't trying to oversell you, but I don't agree at all about the "subtlety" of a larger subwoofer compared to a smaller one. You control how much volume the subwoofer produces, so the relative quality of the sound is the main factor in what you hear.

I looked up the specs on your older subwoofer to get some idea of what their power and low-frequency extension would be like. The SB16's will have a comparable cabinet size, although they are much heavier, and of course, they are much more powerful and will have lower extension. It's that additional extension and low-frequency SPL that we pay for with the most expensive models. You will have more bass SPL available with whatever pair of dual subs you try, but having duals should also enable you to achieve a smoother frequency response than you could with the single subwoofer.

The 2000 series subwoofers are good subwoofers, but the Ultra's are a step-up in audio quality. Among other things, they will also allow for a good deal more user adjustability, and you may value that. If your dealer allows free-trial periods, I might compromise by trying the SB4000's first to see whether they would be enough for you. They would offer the same features and build quality as the SB16's, at a little more affordable price. Or, knowing myself, I would probably just go for the SB16's to start with. In either case, overkill wouldn't be a problem!

Regards,
Mike

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 10-27-2018 at 06:39 AM.
post #29395 of 31790 Old 10-27-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I am struggling to decide on Duel PC/PB2000 or a single larger ported sub-my space is 17 feet long by 13 feet deep and the tv and centre is on the long wall and the room opens on one side to rest of basement. The ceiling height is 7 and a little feet.

If I decided to get a single PB4000 instead of duel PC/PB2000, could I use the PB400 as a sort of stand for the centre channel (Minitor Audio GOLD C350) or would that be a good idea?

Just figured usually the Sub below the tv would be a good spot for a single sub and also that COULD save me from having to purchase a centre speaker stand or a cabinet....

Any thoughts on this or is it a bad idea?

Also, given this space (1500 cubic feet) and PROBABLY would never upgrade to duels if the bigger sub-what decision on Duel 2000 vs single PB4000 which is about $500 more expensive then the duels btw...

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos

Last edited by Chirosamsung; 10-27-2018 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Forgot something
post #29396 of 31790 Old 10-27-2018, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
I am struggling to decide on Duel PC/PB2000 or a single larger ported sub-my space is 17 feet long by 13 feet deep and the tv and centre is on the long wall and the room opens on one side to rest of basement. The ceiling height is 7 and a little feet.

If I decided to get a single PB4000 instead of duel PC/PB2000, could I use the PB400 as a sort of stand for the centre channel (Minitor Audio GOLD C350) or would that be a good idea?

Just figured usually the Sub below the tv would be a good spot for a single sub and also that COULD save me from having to purchase a centre speaker stand or a cabinet....

Also, given this space (1500 cubic feet) and PROBABLY would never upgrade to duels if the bigger sub-what decision on Duel 2000 vs single PB4000 which is about $500 more expensive then the duels btw...

There's really no sure way to know if the sub will work in that spot. Generally it's not a good place to put a single sub. Most rooms do well with a single sub in one of the corners. 2 subs are almost always better than one for smoothing the bass response over a larger area.

With SVS you could try a pair of the PB/PC 2000s and if they're enough for you then you're good to go, if you feel you're missing out on some bass exchange them for a PB4000.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #29397 of 31790 Old 10-27-2018, 03:31 PM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:

If I decided to get a single PB16 or PB4000 instead of duel PC/PB2000, could I use the PB400 or 16 as a sort of stand for the centre channel (GOLD C350) or would that be a good idea?

Just figured usually the centre below the tv would be a good spot for a single sub and also that COULD save me from having to purchase a centre speaker stand or a cabinet....

Also, given this space (1500 cubic feet) and PROBABLY would never upgrade to duels if the bigger sub-what decision on Duel 2000 vs single PB16 or PB4000 which are more and much more the. The price of the duels.

Hi Again!

I think that one of the most common questions on this thread is: which model subwoofer to buy? The next most common question may be: should I buy one more powerful subwoofer or two less powerful ones? As a general rule, it is better to have two subwoofers to help even-out the frequency response in the room. It takes us a while to really start to understand what that means.

The room itself changes the sound that we hear from bass frequencies, causing some frequencies to sound louder and some to sound softer. If we can put two subwoofers in a room, usually on separate walls, we can help to get rid of some of those peaks and dips at random frequencies. If we do that, our bass sounds better. The fact that two subwoofers will average 6db louder than a single subwoofer is a bonus.

So, in general, although not always, it is better to have two subwoofers than just one. Now, which one? I went back to look at some advice I gave you about 10 days ago, from several pages back, and I think it is still valid. I said:

"I couldn't tell from your previous posts that you were considering getting two PC4000's, instead of PC2000's. I think that the PC2000's will be enough for your room. Aren't you going to be able to try the PC2000's on approval? Once you have them in your room, you can decide for sure whether they are enough or not. If they are not, then you can exchange them for the PC4000's."

I still think that this is the best way to go. Try the dual PC2000's (or PB2000's) and see whether they give you enough low-bass. If not, exchange them for the more expensive 4000's. Or, if you don't mind paying the higher cost of the dual PB4000's, then just start with them. I honestly can't tell from any of the information you have provided which subwoofers you should buy, although I do think that two PB16's will give you more low-bass SPL than you really need. You can't tell either, until you actually try something. But, whatever you try, I would advise you to have a plan to get two of them.

To answer your other question, it is perfectly fine to put your center channel on top of your subwoofer, although I would put something soft between them to protect their finishes. That could be either a PB2000, or a PB4000. You can turn the subwoofer sideways, or have it facing toward you. And, if you want to have a cylinder sub somewhere else to conserve floor space, you can have one PB2000 and one PC2000, or you can do the same thing with the 4000's or the 16's. Just plan to have two of the same model--the shape doesn't matter.

I hope this more detailed post helps, but I should repeat that no amount of speculation or advice will give you the answer you are looking for. You will just have to try a pair of subwoofers in your room, and move them around a bit, and let your AVR calibrate them, and then play with their volume, before you will know how much bass you are really looking for. That's what we have all had to do.

Regards,
Mike
darthray likes this.

post #29398 of 31790 Old 10-27-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Quote:

If I decided to get a single PB16 or PB4000 instead of duel PC/PB2000, could I use the PB400 or 16 as a sort of stand for the centre channel (GOLD C350) or would that be a good idea?

Just figured usually the centre below the tv would be a good spot for a single sub and also that COULD save me from having to purchase a centre speaker stand or a cabinet....

Also, given this space (1500 cubic feet) and PROBABLY would never upgrade to duels if the bigger sub-what decision on Duel 2000 vs single PB16 or PB4000 which are more and much more the. The price of the duels.

Hi Again!

I think that one of the most common questions on this thread is: which model subwoofer to buy? The next most common question may be: should I buy one more powerful subwoofer or two less powerful ones? As a general rule, it is better to have two subwoofers to help even-out the frequency response in the room. It takes us a while to really start to understand what that means.

The room itself changes the sound that we hear from bass frequencies, causing some frequencies to sound louder and some to sound softer. If we can put two subwoofers in a room, usually on separate walls, we can help to get rid of some of those peaks and dips at random frequencies. If we do that, our bass sounds better. The fact that two subwoofers will average 6db louder than a single subwoofer is a bonus.

So, in general, although not always, it is better to have two subwoofers than just one. Now, which one? I went back to look at some advice I gave you about 10 days ago, from several pages back, and I think it is still valid. I said:

"I couldn't tell from your previous posts that you were considering getting two PC4000's, instead of PC2000's. I think that the PC2000's will be enough for your room. Aren't you going to be able to try the PC2000's on approval? Once you have them in your room, you can decide for sure whether they are enough or not. If they are not, then you can exchange them for the PC4000's."

I still think that this is the best way to go. Try the dual PC2000's (or PB2000's) and see whether they give you enough low-bass. If not, exchange them for the more expensive 4000's. Or, if you don't mind paying the higher cost of the dual PB4000's, then just start with them. I honestly can't tell from any of the information you have provided which subwoofers you should buy, although I do think that two PB16's will give you more low-bass SPL than you really need. You can't tell either, until you actually try something. But, whatever you try, I would advise you to have a plan to get two of them.

To answer your other question, it is perfectly fine to put your center channel on top of your subwoofer, although I would put something soft between them to protect their finishes. That could be either a PB2000, or a PB4000. You can turn the subwoofer sideways, or have it facing toward you. And, if you want to have a cylinder sub somewhere else to conserve floor space, you can have one PB2000 and one PC2000, or you can do the same thing with the 4000's or the 16's. Just plan to have two of the same model--the shape doesn't matter.

I hope this more detailed post helps, but I should repeat that no amount of speculation or advice will give you the answer you are looking for. You will just have to try a pair of subwoofers in your room, and move them around a bit, and let your AVR calibrate them, and then play with their volume, before you will know how much bass you are really looking for. That's what we have all had to do. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Regards,
Mike
Thanks Mike for the very detailed response.
Also answered my next question-ie-whether I could have 1 PC2000 and 1 PC4000, but I guess that wouldn’t work....
mthomas47 likes this.

Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
post #29399 of 31790 Old 10-27-2018, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m a little worried about low frequency sound leaking into my neighbors basement (we are detached house) on the side of us that’s closest to the media room with the subs. If I’m soundproofing the ceilings of my basement because of the two subs and wanting to dampen sounds into where rest of my house-will one layer of soundproofing the wall of our house that would be closest to the neighbors house keep sounds (low freq most?) from bleeding into my neighbors space if played loud or not gonna affect sounds? Just want to be considerate...

NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
post #29400 of 31790 Old 10-27-2018, 05:11 PM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
I’m a little worried about low frequency sound leaking into my neighbors basement (we are detached house) on the side of us that’s closest to the media room with the subs. If I’m soundproofing the ceilings of my basement because of the two subs and wanting to dampen sounds into where rest of my house-will one layer of soundproofing the wall of our house that would be closest to the neighbors house keep sounds (low freq most?) from bleeding into my neighbors space if played loud or not gonna affect sounds? Just want to be considerate...

Unfortunately, some of the low-bass frequencies are going to go right through the walls of your house, and no soundproofing will stop them. Hopefully, the intervening distance between the detached houses, and your neighbor's exterior wall, will attenuate the bass sufficiently that it won't be too noticeable or bothersome for your neighbor.

The lowest frequencies will travel the longest distance, so if you are concerned about this, that might be another reason to get a pair of 2000's. The PB/PC 4000's will have more low-frequency SPL than the 2000's, and the 16's will have even more than the 4000's. As noted in my previous post, I believe that dual PB16's might have a little more low-bass SPL than you will need anyway, as you should be getting pretty good room gain under about 20Hz.

As you correctly observed from my previous post, it would be better not to mix two different models in a small room. Two matching models (the shapes don't matter) will make level-matching the volume of the subwoofers much easier.

Regards,
Mike
darthray likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page