Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 984 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44600Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #29491 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 05:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grebmorts View Post
1500 cu ft. And, I do get plenty of earth shaking response with listening to music from the two subs. I origanally came from using ported subs, so maybe it's the differences between ported vs sealed that i'm hearing when watching movies, and just not quite used to yet.. . I had one of the origanal PC ultras from 2004 but it lacked with tightness when playing music. I'm very amazed with output and headroom the two SB's give. Just searching on if i'm missing something. BTW, The PC worked good, just never cared for the cylinder subs. WAF you know.
Hello I came from dual PB2000 and change to dual SB16-Ultra I have about the same room size like you.
I feelt the same like you that something were missing and probloby that I also was used whit Ported subwoofers and maybe If I kept them longer I got used to them,? but I changed them to dual PB4000 and now I'm happy again..=)
The SB16-ultras are really great but I youst watch movies all the time so I missed the lower hz and tactical feel that ported subwoofers have.

Best regards/

Last edited by Jaxon1; 11-07-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Jaxon1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #29492 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 06:13 AM
Member
 
mdbunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post
Awesome man-Congrats! I've also took the plunge and am waiting for dual brand new PB 4000's to be delivered. Shipping to California is going to take until Tuesday though Can't wait! Could I ask if you purchased brand new or did you buy from the outlet? Outlet seems like an awesome deal and savings, but I guess it's just me as I always want my new toys unused and brand new....

I think it's a little OCD I have but I just worry that if I bought used, I don't know what I purchased had done it or if it was abused. Oh well...SVS has awesome customer service and their Bill of rights is a huge reason I bought SVS! I hope the PB 4000's do the trick in my home, but if they don't, there's always the option to upgrade to dual PB 16 U's!

I bought brand-new from SVS - but I would not have had any second thoughts whatsoever if I purchased them from their outlet either. SVS has treated me very well (even when they didn't have to) and the only thing that I have purchased from them previosuly was a PB13 Ultra (which is still going strong BTW). I checked the outlet a couple of times and only saw 1 PB16U...knowing that I wanted 2, I just purchased new to get the extra discount on getting duals.
mdbunting is offline  
post #29493 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 06:17 AM
Member
 
mdbunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX2112 View Post
Congrats. You won't be disappointed. Next year if I can come up with the $$ I wanna get a 2nd PB16 Ultra. I bought one little over a month ago. My Woofer Havok still wants to battle the sub woofer to see whos the alpha....

An easy way if you don't have help and you don't have hardwood steps or nice carpet you don't wanna nail through. Get some 2 X 4's and nail them to the steps then slide the cartons down. Getting them down is a lot easier then getting them up the steps....
Thanks! Thankfully, I have a walk-out basement so I used my dolly (it converts into a hand truck as well) to get the PB16U's to the basement. Worked really well. I was only able to open up one of them to get the RCA cables out and run those into the position I needed - have not laid eyes on the subs as of yet. Doing the fun stuff tonight!~
mdbunting is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #29494 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 06:21 AM
Member
 
mdbunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Zuehlke View Post
Congrats!! I love my Duals

A buddy from work showed up when mine were delivered and helped me move them in the house, but then had to run. He was there for like 15 minutes total. But, you know what? The box design and handle placement is excellent, they don't actually feel as heavy as they are.......would have taken more time, but I could have done it solo. I actually had more trouble moving my previous PC12 Plus's.

Also, I had the SoundPath feet and furniture sliders already on hand when my subs showed up. I used Microfiber cloths as mitts when unboxing, rolled them on their side (but still on that white fabric liner they're packaged with) to install the isolation feet, then onto the furniture sliders immediately after. All the unboxing and setup I did solo.

As the also-owner of Dual PB-16's, all I can say is be prepared for vibrating couches, rattling pictures, and stuff falling off tables
Thanks for the tips. I got them down to the basement using my dolly/hand truck - no problems at all (all by myself). I was honestly expecting BIGGER boxes...as the box (I still have it) to my PB13U is HUGE!!!! I ran the RCA cables last night and I will get them moved into postion tonight. Still doing work in my theater/media room but want to give them a test drive before putting them away this weekend so that I cna continue on the makeover to the room.
mdbunting is offline  
post #29495 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,972
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1982 Post(s)
Liked: 2676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
It’s a basement so yes concrete underneath but will be laminate over top of that and maybe a area rug in middle of room.

You are saying that 2 Duel PC2000 are not gonna be good LFE and tactile???
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

Everyone's experiences and preferences are a little bit different. I think it's important to repeat that to ourselves until we really start to believe it. It's easy for us to understand if we apply that statement to things like food, or our tastes in music, or in movies, or in automobiles. But, we somehow expect other peoples' experiences and preferences with respect to subwoofers, and with respect to bass, to parallel our own. In many cases, other peoples' experiences and preferences are barely even relevant to our own.

No one else has any idea whether dual PC2000 are going to have enough low-bass and TR for you or not. That depends on you as much as it does on your room. Concrete doesn't resonate (vibrate) with low-frequencies in the same way that a wood floor over a crawl space, or on an upper floor does. Laminate and carpet don't change that. On the other hand, some people aren't really looking for much TR to begin with. How much salad dressing do you like on your salad? How much salt do you like on something? How much low-bass TR do you prefer?

Only you can determine whether the two PC2000's will give you exactly what you are looking for in your room. And, no else will be able to accurately predict that in advance. We can only offer you general guidance, and suggestions for what to try. But, that's where the advantage of having free-trial periods comes in. You can decide for yourself what works and what doesn't.

I apologize for restating things that may seem obvious in this post, but they really aren't obvious. You can see that from comments people make all the time. I know people in >5000^3 rooms who seem perfectly happy with one small 12" sealed subwoofer. And, I know people in <1500^3 rooms (this is literally true) who still can't get enough of what they want with dual ported 18" subs. We will all discover together whether the dual PC 2000's give you exactly what you are looking for. I'm hoping that they will!

Regards,
Mike

I'm in 100% agreement with Mike's comments and rationale. Although a slightly different scenario, the thought process is similar in a comment I and others offered in a different topic and thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57065622
darthray and mthomas47 like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is offline  
post #29496 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
You have just answered your own question
You cannot do that and expect good results.
You need to recalibrate your system.

Please let us know how they sound after ARC recalibration.

Thank you for posting Delija! Why I didn't think about recalibrating for the second new sub is beyond me. Hope to have another laptop this weekend to make new adjustments.
Grebmorts is offline  
post #29497 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Islandborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbunting View Post
I bought brand-new from SVS - but I would not have had any second thoughts whatsoever if I purchased them from their outlet either. SVS has treated me very well (even when they didn't have to) and the only thing that I have purchased from them previosuly was a PB13 Ultra (which is still going strong BTW). I checked the outlet a couple of times and only saw 1 PB16U...knowing that I wanted 2, I just purchased new to get the extra discount on getting duals.
LOL. I have been eyeing that same PB16 Ultra as well. I wanted to clarify though and let you know that I also wanted 2 and thought they only had one in stock. Well, I found out that when you click on the PB16 Ultra it will go to the next page where you can choose a Quantity i did not know that in the beginning. I thought they only had ONE undamaged PB 16U. Oh well...My PB 4000's will be here next Tuesday. I hope and think they will be enough for my setup and room size even though it is 4500 CF. We shall see! Have fun with your new subs!
mdbunting likes this.

Last edited by Islandborn; 11-07-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Islandborn is offline  
post #29498 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Member
 
mdbunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post
LOL. I have been eyeing that same PB16 Ultra as well. I wanted to clarify though and let you know that I also wanted 2 and thought they only had one in stock. Well, I found out that when you click on the PB16 Ultra it will go to the next page where you can choose a Quantity i did not know that in the beginning. I thought they only had ONE undamaged PB 16U. Oh well...My PB 4000's will be here next Tuesday. I hope and think they will be enough for my setup and room size even though it is 4500 CF. We shall see! Have fun with your new subs!
Ahhhh...I didn't know that! Oh well...too late now!!! And I'm sure the PB4000's will be a great addition to your setup. I probably don't "need" the dual PB16U's...I just wanted them My wife and I have been living overseas (military) for nearly the past 10 years between Germany and Korea and now that I finally have a basement of my own I'm just going crazy! Over the past few months I have ordered: Projector (RS2000), Speakers (Revel F208s x4/C208/M106 x2 and RSL C34Es for atmos height), and Amplifiers (Emotiva XPA-7 and A-5175). Now all I need is a good bankruptcy attorney
Islandborn and CygnusX2112 like this.
mdbunting is offline  
post #29499 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Member
 
Theheadsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
These JTR ported subwoofers also generate more low-bass TR than any other ported subwoofers with which I am familiar. Below ~30Hz, the TR may have a significant impact on how we experience the special effects in movies. That is especially the case if someone is on a concrete floor.
Are you saying that as a negative or a positive? I was thinking about getting the PC-4000 but I'm on a concrete slap with tile, do you think that would be a bad idea?
Theheadsn is offline  
post #29500 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,229
Mentioned: 338 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5451 Post(s)
Liked: 10349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post
Are you saying that as a negative or a positive? I was thinking about getting the PC-4000 but I'm on a concrete slap with tile, do you think that would be a bad idea?

Hi,

The whole issue of how much low-bass TR people may like is an entirely personal one. FWIW, here is the larger context of my comment. Below about 30Hz, and especially below 20Hz, it becomes very difficult to separate what we hear from the tactile sensations we feel. That doesn't matter much for music, including even most bass-enhanced music, because there won't be that much really low-frequency content to start with. But, it can matter for 5.1 movies with strong low-bass special effects, depending on the individual.

People who are on suspended wood floors will get more tactile ULF, in the natural order of things, as the floor itself will resonate with roughly <20Hz bass frequencies. And, that will make low-bass special effects sound and feel more real and impactful. Concrete will not resonate that way, so subwoofers will have to manufacture more of that tactile ULF on their own.

Low-tuned (<20Hz) subwoofers, such as the PC4000 in extended mode, will create louder low-bass SPL and stronger low-bass tactile sensations. (The ports themselves contribute to that increased low-bass TR in a couple of different ways.) So, if you are looking for more excitement in your low-bass, the PC4000's will be helpful on a concrete slab. I definitely think it's a positive, but as noted earlier, there is a YMMV component to almost anything we say about subwoofers.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is offline  
post #29501 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 02:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post
LOL. I have been eyeing that same PB16 Ultra as well. I wanted to clarify though and let you know that I also wanted 2 and thought they only had one in stock. Well, I found out that when you click on the PB16 Ultra it will go to the next page where you can choose a Quantity i did not know that in the beginning. I thought they only had ONE undamaged PB 16U. Oh well...My PB 4000's will be here next Tuesday. I hope and think they will be enough for my setup and room size even though it is 4500 CF. We shall see! Have fun with your new subs!
Generally speaking, when SVS list the sub in the outlet without the serial number attached at the end it's because they have multiple in stock.
Islandborn likes this.
DarkEnigma is online now  
post #29502 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,468
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 3153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
It’s a basement so yes concrete underneath but will be laminate over top of that and maybe a area rug in middle of room.

You are saying that 2 Duel PC2000 are not gonna be good LFE and tactile???

For the LFE, it depend of your room, and the tuning you choose.
I prefer mine tune at 20Hz. When trying tuning below that, there is to much rattle from objects, walls and so on, and are more distracting them the advantage, the lower tuning offer in my room. I am very contend, with tuning at 20Hz, low enough for this old cat

For feeling the Tactile. Unfortunately, when your room is over a concrete floor, you get very little. Since those bass wave responsible to produce them, do not transmit them very well. the reason I use some TT, for them.


Ray
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 11-07-2018 at 05:55 PM.
darthray is offline  
post #29503 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Islandborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 54
So shipped back my dual SB 4000's this morning. Of course before packing them up, I played with them for a little bit and put them through some base heavy music. I was actually very impressed how much base was coming out of these SB 4000's! With my large living room though, if I stepped more then 10 feet away from the subs, the "thump" and "boom" dissipated, but this actually was the first time I really let loose on them and I was pleasantly surprised. It actually put a smile on my face because I know that my new dual PB 4000's arrive next Tuesday and if the SB 4000's "thump" this well, I can only imagine what the PB 4000 ported boxes will sound like with the same internals
Spizz, alwaller, darthray and 2 others like this.
Islandborn is offline  
post #29504 of 31554 Old 11-07-2018, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
nodoubt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post
Awesome man-Congrats! I've also took the plunge and am waiting for dual brand new PB 4000's to be delivered. Shipping to California is going to take until Tuesday though Can't wait! Could I ask if you purchased brand new or did you buy from the outlet? Outlet seems like an awesome deal and savings, but I guess it's just me as I always want my new toys unused and brand new....

I think it's a little OCD I have but I just worry that if I bought used, I don't know what I purchased had done it or if it was abused. Oh well...SVS has awesome customer service and their Bill of rights is a huge reason I bought SVS! I hope the PB 4000's do the trick in my home, but if they don't, there's always the option to upgrade to dual PB 16 U's!
your going to be shocked.
give em a few weeks to break, and you will be even more amazed
alwaller and Islandborn like this.
nodoubt is offline  
post #29505 of 31554 Old 11-08-2018, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 194
My PB-1000 doing some work. Obviously not an accurate sound demo as it was recorded via my phone, but yeah: https://twitter.com/LoverOfKink/stat...09936902459392
audiocologne likes this.

My Website; convert audio files or extract the audio from a video - https://freeaudioconverter.net
Ferrari_1996 is offline  
post #29506 of 31554 Old 11-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Update. I recalibrated with Anthem ARC tonight using the two SB16 ultras. So far i'm very pleased with the outcome! From my previous posts, I had mentioned my computer crashing, preventing me to do a proper calibration with the second SB16. I was looking for more depth and output from my subs below 35hz. I believe I got there. As soon as this computer does its 147 updates, I'd like to post my calibrations. Looking forward to hearing any comments from you all once I post my results. Thanks
Grebmorts is offline  
post #29507 of 31554 Old 11-09-2018, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 283
@Grebmorts
I get the best results with ARC with these settings:
- ARC for subwoofer(s) limited to 19 Hz (min EQ frequency) - if I go lower than 18 Hz the results are not good;
- max EQ for subwoofer(s) set to 130 Hz (no need to use limited number of filters for range which will not be used);
- high pass turned off, of course;
- room gain 3 dB;
- crossover for front speakers is set to 60 Hz and for other speakers to 80 Hz.

Manual settings on subs before ARC calibration:
- some minor tweaking of PEQs on right subwoofer - it has significant peak at ~22 Hz (it's not just amplitude, but also duration - waterfall diagram shows it very well) and I get better results with ARC if I cut that peak for 5-6 dB before I do ARC calibration.

Manual settings on subs after ARC calibration:
- +2 dB volume level on both subs;
- phase set to 30° on both subs which fixes minor dip near the crossover frequency - 30° is value optimal for my system and front speakers, some other will need some other value or maybe 0° is optimal;
- some manual tweaking of PEQs (only negative gain!) on both subwoofers - according to separate measurements for each of them I know which sub is responsible for particular peak in the resulting FR.


Separate measurements of subs (without ARC and PEQs):


Both subs together (without ARC and PEQs):


Full range front speakers without subs (without ARC):


Final result - front speakers with both subs:
Alan P and Grebmorts like this.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V

Last edited by Delija; 11-09-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Delija is offline  
post #29508 of 31554 Old 11-09-2018, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,468
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 3153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari_1996 View Post
My PB-1000 doing some work. Obviously not an accurate sound demo as it was recorded via my phone, but yeah: https://twitter.com/LoverOfKink/stat...09936902459392

In my book, never a good option, to test anything thing, getting a real CD is the best way for speakers and sub
Enjoy, your new PB-1000


Ray
darthray is offline  
post #29509 of 31554 Old 11-09-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,468
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 3153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
@Grebmorts
I get the best results with ARC with these settings:
- ARC for subwoofer(s) limited to 19 Hz (min EQ frequency) - if I go lower than 18 Hz the results are not good;
- max EQ for subwoofer(s) set to 130 Hz (no need to use limited number of filters for range which will not be used);
- high pass turned off, of course;
- room gain 3 dB;
- crossover for front speakers is set to 60 Hz and for other speakers to 80 Hz.

Manual settings on subs before ARC calibration:
- some minor tweaking of PEQs on right subwoofer - it has significant peak at ~22 Hz (it's not just amplitude, but also duration - waterfall diagram shows it very well) and I get better results with ARC if I cut that peak for 5-6 dB before I do ARC calibration.

Manual settings on subs after ARC calibration:
- +2 dB volume level on both subs;
- phase set to 30° on both subs which fixes minor dip near the crossover frequency - 30° is value optimal for my system and front speakers, some other will need some other value or maybe 0° is optimal;
- some manual tweaking of PEQs (only negative gain!) on both subwoofers - according to separate measurements for each of them I know which sub is responsible for particular peak in the resulting FR.


Separate measurements of subs (without ARC and PEQs):


Both subs together (without ARC and PEQs):


Full range front speakers without subs (without ARC):


Final result - front speakers with both subs:

Your final results graph, look very good
The only thing you need to do now, is sit back and enjoy.


Ray
Delija likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 11-09-2018 at 07:37 PM.
darthray is offline  
post #29510 of 31554 Old 11-09-2018, 10:16 PM
Member
 
Prophizee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 51
So it happened to me now too three months of ownership with pb4000 and the amp blew I think. Was working perfectly when I got back from work was listening to some music relaxing wife calls to go pick up dinner while she is driving home from work. Came home ate, went to watch some TV and something sounded off. Put on some music and Bam noticed low end was all gone. Unplugged the sub let it cool for a little turned back on nothing. Had my old ultra cube laying around plugged that in and it worked perfectly.

Any other suggestions I can do to try reset the amp. Also where is the amp located. So upset right now already emailed svs support, and will call tomorrow. Hopefully this is quick fix or if they have to replace it a quick turnaround. Don't even know how I will be able to wrap this bad boy up even and get it out to try to ship it back. This is all bad and really ruined my weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Prophizee is offline  
post #29511 of 31554 Old 11-09-2018, 11:25 PM
Member
 
Theheadsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
So it happened to me now too three months of ownership with pb4000 and the amp blew I think. Was working perfectly when I got back from work was listening to some music relaxing wife calls to go pick up dinner while she is driving home from work. Came home ate, went to watch some TV and something sounded off. Put on some music and Bam noticed low end was all gone. Unplugged the sub let it cool for a little turned back on nothing. Had my old ultra cube laying around plugged that in and it worked perfectly.

Any other suggestions I can do to try reset the amp. Also where is the amp located. So upset right now already emailed svs support, and will call tomorrow. Hopefully this is quick fix or if they have to replace it a quick turnaround. Don't even know how I will be able to wrap this bad boy up even and get it out to try to ship it back. This is all bad and really ruined my weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Have you contacted SVS yet? They have an awesome tech team, easy to live chat with them on the phone or online. I dont know the SVS's that well, but they may have a fuse. I'm pretty sure they come with a 5 year warranty as well, not sure how the shipping and what not works on that though
Theheadsn is offline  
post #29512 of 31554 Old 11-10-2018, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Your final results graph, look very good
The only thing you need to do now, is sit back and enjoy.

Ray
Thanks, Ray

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V

Last edited by Delija; 11-10-2018 at 04:18 AM.
Delija is offline  
post #29513 of 31554 Old 11-10-2018, 04:51 AM
Member
 
Prophizee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have not yet they open today at 12 it was too late when the issue happened to give them a call but did shoot them an email. I doubtful it's a fuse as there is still power to the sub and when I shut all my separates off I can hear a little sound coming from the cone when I increase the dl the sound doesn't increase nor can I feel the cone moving at all. But I can definitely hear sound but very faint. Hopefully they can fix it. Also my 90 days replacement just expired. Bought the sub June 27, So I am month over
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post
Have you contacted SVS yet? They have an awesome tech team, easy to live chat with them on the phone or online. I dont know the SVS's that well, but they may have a fuse. I'm pretty sure they come with a 5 year warranty as well, not sure how the shipping and what not works on that though
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Prophizee is offline  
post #29514 of 31554 Old 11-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
In my book, never a good option, to test anything thing, getting a real CD is the best way for speakers and sub
Enjoy, your new PB-1000


Ray
Spotify Premium is 320kbps OGG Vorbis, which apparently is a better codec than MP3, so the quality should be a little better than 320kbps MP3s. I don't think I would notice a big difference stepping up to CDs? Not to mention the convenience of streaming and the fact that Spotify allows me to discover new music.

I urge anyone to chime in, because I'd like to know if there would be a substantial enough quality difference over Spotify Premium to justify the increased cost of purchasing CDs.

My Website; convert audio files or extract the audio from a video - https://freeaudioconverter.net
Ferrari_1996 is offline  
post #29515 of 31554 Old 11-10-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,229
Mentioned: 338 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5451 Post(s)
Liked: 10349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari_1996 View Post
Spotify Premium is 320kbps OGG Vorbis, which apparently is a better codec than MP3, so the quality should be a little better than 320kbps MP3s. I don't think I would notice a big difference stepping up to CDs? Not to mention the convenience of streaming and the fact that Spotify allows me to discover new music.

I urge anyone to chime in, because I'd like to know if there would be a substantial enough quality difference over Spotify Premium to justify the increased cost of purchasing CDs.





Hi,

There is a little bit of apples-to-oranges in what Darth was saying, and in what you are saying. Personally, I think that the quality of most of the Spotify content is very good. (The quality of the original recording, that Spotify is playing, is the biggest factor in what we hear at 320kbps.) Spotify has pretty well replaced my record collection. But, it is stereo content, and much of the music will be bandwidth-limited, from the original recording. Newer bass-enhanced music would be an exception to that. Really low-bass content would be better measured through a 5.1 test disc, or something along similar lines, that has LFE content.

I know that Darth was trying to be helpful when he suggested testing your PB1000 with something that plays lower bass frequencies. And, I also know that he wasn't trying to detract from your pleasure with your PB1000. If the bass sounds good, then it just does. After all, the PB1000 isn't just trying to play the lowest frequencies in movies, it is also playing the mid-bass frequencies in music. And, you can easily hear those frequencies in your Spotify music.

As has been discussed on several threads recently, our subwoofers can also add a little more weight to the bass we hear, even when the fundamental frequencies don't seem to go quite that low.

Regards,
Mike
darthray likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is offline  
post #29516 of 31554 Old 11-10-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,043
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Hello, all. I have a quick question. In a room about 23 ft long x 11 ft wide, could I place the sub with its side 2 inches from the left wall with the driver 5 ft away from the back wall and facing the back wall? Note, there's an open doorway on the that left wall that will be between the sub and the back wall.

Sorry...I know a diagram would have been better.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #29517 of 31554 Old 11-10-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,229
Mentioned: 338 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5451 Post(s)
Liked: 10349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Hello, all. I have a quick question. In a room about 23 ft long x 11 ft wide, could I place the sub with its side 2 inches from the left wall with the driver 5 ft away from the back wall and facing the back wall? Note, there's an open doorway on the that left wall that will be between the sub and the back wall.

Sorry...I know a diagram would have been better.

Hi,

I can visualize what you are saying alright, so a diagram wouldn't really change my response. In theory, you can put a sub anywhere, and it can be hard to know in advance where it will or won't sound good. Ideally, you would do a sub crawl, and if you couldn't put the subwoofer in the best location, you would at least rule-out any really bad locations.

I don't see where facing the driver toward the wall will be a problem. And, I'm not sure that having a doorway just beyond the subwoofer will be a problem. If that is the "back" wall of the room you are talking about, however, I might be a little bit concerned about bass localization, since most of the action (or music) will typically be coming from the front wall where your display and front speakers are located. But, this is just something that you will have to experiment with to determine.

The two factors that you are normally paying attention to with respect to subwoofer placement are frequency response (where does the subwoofer play best) and localization (are we aware that bass sounds or sensations are coming from the wrong place). We usually just have to experiment to find a location that works well aesthetically, and which represents a reasonable compromise for the two factors listed above.

Regards,
Mike
darthray and Aztar35 like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 11-10-2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Typo
mthomas47 is offline  
post #29518 of 31554 Old 11-10-2018, 08:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 5
so I discovered svs has some PB 16 ultras in their outlet with no damage for the price of PB 4000s! had to take the plunge since still within year upgrade policy....currently own dual pc 4000s. love the pc 4000s and the i room have them in is only roughly 1900 cu ft. bidding on a new house and the room they would go in is 4000 cu ft so worry would need more subwoofage to pressurize the room. I know I'm putting the carriage before the horse here but 45 day free trial = no risk. hoping I like them enough to keep them even if lose out on house but they are huge and probably are too deep for my smaller room.
aschmoldt is offline  
post #29519 of 31554 Old 11-10-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 6,932
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 25387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
So it happened to me now too three months of ownership with pb4000 and the amp blew I think. Was working perfectly when I got back from work was listening to some music relaxing wife calls to go pick up dinner while she is driving home from work. Came home ate, went to watch some TV and something sounded off. Put on some music and Bam noticed low end was all gone. Unplugged the sub let it cool for a little turned back on nothing. Had my old ultra cube laying around plugged that in and it worked perfectly.

Any other suggestions I can do to try reset the amp. Also where is the amp located. So upset right now already emailed svs support, and will call tomorrow. Hopefully this is quick fix or if they have to replace it a quick turnaround. Don't even know how I will be able to wrap this bad boy up even and get it out to try to ship it back. This is all bad and really ruined my weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
More than one person on the forum has replaced the amplifier themselves. SVS will probably recommend that. Beats sending back a monster sized sub, much cheaper and faster. They ship you an amp and you return the broken one in the shipping box.
gene4ht, darthray and drh3b like this.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Aircom T-8, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
Matt2026 is offline  
post #29520 of 31554 Old 11-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Member
 
Prophizee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Yup that's exactly what there doing there tech made me do some testing and concluded definitely the amp. They are shipping new one out on Monday should have it by Wednesday. Thanks guys for all the help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
More than one person on the forum has replaced the amplifier themselves. SVS will probably recommend that. Beats sending back a monster sized sub, much cheaper and faster. They ship you an amp and you return the broken one in the shipping box.
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
darthray and Matt2026 like this.
Prophizee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off