Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 987 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44478Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #29581 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 7,932
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
I emailed them and they said they don’t intend to have an PC3000

I would be very interested in a PC3000 if they did
That's too bad. The PC12+ is/was at a nice price point for its performance and features. It would be hard for me to go back to a sub without a digital readout.

So now I don't have a matching option should I want to upgrade my SC8000. I would need to spend $1800 on the PC4000 which is substantially more than the $1200 that another PC12+ or PC3000 would've/should've cost. I don't have the floor space where the front sub goes to accommodate something as large as the PB3000. Plus I think down firing works better in my room for that spot.

Makes no sense to me. It's also a little worrisome that the PB3000 weighs only a little more than the PC12+ and around half of what the PB12+ weighed.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #29582 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 1,939
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
That's too bad. The PC12+ is/was at a nice price point for its performance and features. It would be hard for me to go back to a sub without a digital readout.

So now I don't have a matching option should I want to upgrade my SC8000. I would need to spend $1800 on the PC4000 which is substantially more than the $1200 that another PC12+ or PC3000 would've/should've cost. I don't have the floor space where the front sub goes to accommodate something as large as the PB3000. Plus I think down firing works better in my room for that spot.

Makes no sense to me. It's also a little worrisome that the PB3000 weighs only a little more than the PC12+ and around half of what the PB12+ weighed.
Maybe keep an eye out for an outlet PC12+ and just buy it if one pops up. Alternatively a PC-2000 would still blend reasonably well. Or an outlet PC-4000.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
confinoj is online now  
post #29583 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Islandborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
It's very simple procedure. So first you have to unplug the unit from the wall so you don't shock yourself. They are 10 3m hex screws around the amp in the rear, remove those carefully but don't worry if you scuff a screw they send replacement ones with the new amp. Once the screws are out (SVS recommends a different way to actually get the sub out from it's housing) What I did was take a very thin flat head screwdriver and wrapped in electrical tape. A very thin layer and worked it around the edge within seconds the amp was partially out so the rest I slowly pulled back with my hands. Remember they are connectors so you have to be careful. Once the amp is out they are two connectors one for the display the other for the sub. Remove those and your done. Installing the new amp is basically everything in reverse. Just remember not to over tighten the screws. And make sure when reinstalling the connectors that you don't bend the pins on the amp. They seem very delicate. It seriously easy as hell for anyone you shouldn't have any problems.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tips! Amp will be here tomorrow. Hopefully the install goes as smoothly as yours did. Played with the other PB 4000 yesterday and cranked it up and it sounded really good. That being said, for my large 4500^f living room, I definitely need dual subs to fill the space. I honestly think PB 16 ultras will be an even better choice, but I have 45 days to make up my mind. Will be a fun time ahead for sure!
Keith Zuehlke likes this.
Islandborn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #29584 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 7,932
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Maybe keep an eye out for an outlet PC12+ and just buy it if one pops up. Alternatively a PC-2000 would still blend reasonably well. Or an outlet PC-4000.
I'm not in the market now. It would likely be several years down the road. Also I would buy new from Crutchfield to avoid the shipping charge which makes the outlet "deals" more expensive than buying new.

I really wouldn't want to spend near $2K for my room and IMO the PC2000 is not enough of an upgrade over the SC, at least over 25hz.

Maybe I'm being difficult. I just think SVS made a bad decision to not have a PC3000. Actually I find it really odd. It makes their product line confusing.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #29585 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 1,939
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
I'm not in the market now. It would likely be several years down the road. Also I would buy new from Crutchfield to avoid the shipping charge which makes the outlet "deals" more expensive than buying new.

I really wouldn't want to spend near $2K for my room and IMO the PC2000 is not enough of an upgrade over the SC, at least over 25hz.

Maybe I'm being difficult. I just think SVS made a bad decision to not have a PC3000. Actually I find it really odd. It makes their product line confusing.
It is frustrating for us cylinder fans.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
confinoj is online now  
post #29586 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,425
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggles View Post
Question for the group. When daisy chaining two PB16 Ultras, do I need to run just one single sub RCA from line out to line in (on sub #2 )? Or do I need to use Y connectors between the sub RCA for line out R and L into the line in R and L of the 2nd sub? Or do I plug into LFE jack on 2nd sub?

Greatly appreciate the guidance,
Nathan
On the 1500D, the line-out is a loop-back of the line-in. There is no DSP applied to the line-out, so you can use it to daisy-chain if that is convenient.

If this is an AV application, you only need one (1) RCA cable from the AVR to the first subwoofer - there is no need to use two cables. Just connect to LFE in on subwoofer #1 and then daisy-chain from the line-out to LFE in on subwoofer #2 .
mthomas47 likes this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #29587 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
 
scottiemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Valley CA
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
I'm not in the market now. It would likely be several years down the road. Also I would buy new from Crutchfield to avoid the shipping charge which makes the outlet "deals" more expensive than buying new.

I really wouldn't want to spend near $2K for my room and IMO the PC2000 is not enough of an upgrade over the SC, at least over 25hz.

Maybe I'm being difficult. I just think SVS made a bad decision to not have a PC3000. Actually I find it really odd. It makes their product line confusing.
SVS does not charge for shipping on outlet subs. They have a PC4000 right now for $250 off, no damage, full warranty.
scottiemon is offline  
post #29588 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 7,932
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemon View Post
SVS does not charge for shipping on outlet subs. They have a PC4000 right now for $250 off, no damage, full warranty.
They charge for shipping to Hawaii. For the pc4000 it would be $300 or more.
Kini62 is offline  
post #29589 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Islandborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
It's very simple procedure. So first you have to unplug the unit from the wall so you don't shock yourself. They are 10 3m hex screws around the amp in the rear, remove those carefully but don't worry if you scuff a screw they send replacement ones with the new amp. Once the screws are out (SVS recommends a different way to actually get the sub out from it's housing) What I did was take a very thin flat head screwdriver and wrapped in electrical tape. A very thin layer and worked it around the edge within seconds the amp was partially out so the rest I slowly pulled back with my hands. Remember they are connectors so you have to be careful. Once the amp is out they are two connectors one for the display the other for the sub. Remove those and your done. Installing the new amp is basically everything in reverse. Just remember not to over tighten the screws. And make sure when reinstalling the connectors that you don't bend the pins on the amp. They seem very delicate. It seriously easy as hell for anyone you shouldn't have any problems.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tips! Amp will be here tomorrow. Hopefully the install goes as smoothly as yours did. Played with the other PB 4000 yesterday and cranked it up and it sounded really good. That being said, for my large 4500^f living room, I definitely need dual subs to fill the space. I honestly think PB 16 ultras will be an even better choice, but I have 45 days to make up my mind. Will be a fun time ahead for sure!
Islandborn is offline  
post #29590 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Senior Member
 
scottiemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Valley CA
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
They charge for shipping to Hawaii. For the pc4000 it would be $300 or more.
DOH! Totally missed the fact you live in paradise! Sorry...good intentions gone bad
scottiemon is offline  
post #29591 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,277
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee3 View Post
Hi guys,

Decided to give cascading crossovers a try and thought Id share my opinions. Firstly it was easy to set up and took about two minutes. In the AVR all crossovers set to 80hz. Sub LPF set to 80hz and Slope to 24 and PEQs removed. Extra two db boost in AVR from original Audysessy calibration was left as is and DEQ was left on at flat setting for music. Now my sub volume was at -17 after Audysessy calibration as well. Was only doing an iTunes test from the iPhone plugged straight into the AVR. Music used was Dire Straits Brothers in Arms album and Taylor Swift Reputation. Wanted to good totally opposites. Listened to both at -25 my usual music volume and set set sub volume to -21 to negate the DEQ boost and both styles sounded really nice. To me it sounded cleaner if that's the right word. Mains were more prominent and bass wasn't overpowering at least for the Dire Straits album. For Taylor it had more output but not to overpowering. I tried both with the PEQs back on and it sounded muddy and less natural. I guess it obviously different types of music will give different results. Anyway will do some movie testing over the weekend and will report back. Thanks Mike and Ray for all you great advice and patience's with us less knowledgeable folk.

You are very welcome, it was my pleasure, and sure it was also the case from Mike

Mike and I, and some others do enjoy helping those, who also like to help themselves like you did
I like to say, in life, there is no stupid question at work, audio, video and other subjects. If someone do not know something, well they do not know, only by asking the question, can they find the answer, and learn from-it.

Enjoy the fruit of your work and research's!


Ray
mthomas47, bigzee3 and Matt2026 like this.

Last edited by darthray; 11-15-2018 at 04:41 PM.
darthray is offline  
post #29592 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 04:37 PM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,129
Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5373 Post(s)
Liked: 10036
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee3 View Post
Hi guys,

Decided to give cascading crossovers a try and thought Id share my opinions. Firstly it was easy to set up and took about two minutes. In the AVR all crossovers set to 80hz. Sub LPF set to 80hz and Slope to 24 and PEQs removed. Extra two db boost in AVR from original Audysessy calibration was left as is and DEQ was left on at flat setting for music. Now my sub volume was at -17 after Audysessy calibration as well. Was only doing an iTunes test from the iPhone plugged straight into the AVR. Music used was Dire Straits Brothers in Arms album and Taylor Swift Reputation. Wanted to good totally opposites. Listened to both at -25 my usual music volume and set set sub volume to -21 to negate the DEQ boost and both styles sounded really nice. To me it sounded cleaner if that's the right word. Mains were more prominent and bass wasn't overpowering at least for the Dire Straits album. For Taylor it had more output but not to overpowering. I tried both with the PEQs back on and it sounded muddy and less natural. I guess it obviously different types of music will give different results. Anyway will do some movie testing over the weekend and will report back. Thanks Mike and Ray for all you great advice and patience's with us less knowledgeable folk.

That's excellent, I am really glad that you like using cascading crossovers. More clarity is exactly how I would describe the primary benefit, as well. And, you are very welcome! As far as I am concerned, we are all in the process of learning as we go along. So, someone experiments with something, shares it, and we all gain from that process.

There is something else you can try if you want to double-down on clarity. There is no telling whether or not you will prefer it, but again, it's fun to experiment. Try turning DEQ off. If you do, you will almost certainly need to compensate by adding about 5 or 6db of subwoofer boost. Just season to taste.

DEQ boosts the bass in all of the channels, and not just for the subwoofers. Some people really enjoy the cleaner sound of their speakers playing, without that boost. That can especially apply to the center channel, where bass boosts can add more weight and chestiness to male voices. That's one of the things that cascading crossovers tries to prevent, by rolling-off the subs a little faster, so that large sub boosts won't interfere with male voices, which are mainly above 80Hz anyway. But, DEQ works against that principle a little, by boosting the CC's bass above the crossover.

The surround channels have both their bass, and their overall volume, boosted when DEQ is on. (The Guide has a separate section which explains how DEQ works, and why it was designed that way.) When you turn DEQ off, it also allows you access to your tone controls, which you can use to add a little more bass just to the front speakers, if you want to. That won't affect voices, in movies at least. No guarantees on what you might like better--those are just additional tools in your tool box.

Regards,
Mike
darthray, bigzee3 and Nuggles like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is online now  
post #29593 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,618
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
That's too bad. The PC12+ is/was at a nice price point for its performance and features. It would be hard for me to go back to a sub without a digital readout.

So now I don't have a matching option should I want to upgrade my SC8000. I would need to spend $1800 on the PC4000 which is substantially more than the $1200 that another PC12+ or PC3000 would've/should've cost. I don't have the floor space where the front sub goes to accommodate something as large as the PB3000. Plus I think down firing works better in my room for that spot.

Makes no sense to me. It's also a little worrisome that the PB3000 weighs only a little more than the PC12+ and around half of what the PB12+ weighed.
Maybe keep an eye out for an outlet PC12+ and just buy it if one pops up. Alternatively a PC-2000 would still blend reasonably well. Or an outlet PC-4000.
I heard it’s not good to match subs from different series. Otherwise for the cost I would likely get a PC2000 AND a PC4000 since I can’t afford 2 PC4000 and there isn’t gonna be PC3000 where I would define you get Duels

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
Chirosamsung is offline  
post #29594 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,618
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
I'm not in the market now. It would likely be several years down the road. Also I would buy new from Crutchfield to avoid the shipping charge which makes the outlet "deals" more expensive than buying new.

I really wouldn't want to spend near $2K for my room and IMO the PC2000 is not enough of an upgrade over the SC, at least over 25hz.

Maybe I'm being difficult. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] I just think SVS made a bad decision to not have a PC3000. Actually I find it really odd. It makes their product line confusing.
It is frustrating for us cylinder fans.
+1

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
Chirosamsung is offline  
post #29595 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,277
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
I heard it’s not good to match subs from different series. Otherwise for the cost I would likely get a PC2000 AND a PC4000 since I can’t afford 2 PC4000 and there isn’t gonna be PC3000 where I would define you get Duels

It's not that it is not good, it can be done. But require more work to integrate them together, since they do have different response.
It is explain somewhere is this Guide;
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

I wanted to add a direct link, but could not find-it at moment
While the guide is a very long read, it is full of useful information's. Worth reading and taking some notes, as you go along, for what is pertinent to your case.


Ray
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 11-15-2018 at 04:59 PM.
darthray is offline  
post #29596 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 7,932
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
I heard it’s not good to match subs from different series. Otherwise for the cost I would likely get a PC2000 AND a PC4000 since I can’t afford 2 PC4000 and there isn’t gonna be PC3000 where I would define you get Duels
Mismatched subs IMO are not that big of a deal unless there is a huge discrepancy in SQ and performance. My SC8000 actually makes a very noticeable improvement in the overall bass response in my room. Since upgrading my AVR I haven't noticed it crying for help on demanding movies like it did before.
darthray likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #29597 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
bigzee3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
That's excellent, I am really glad that you like using cascading crossovers. More clarity is exactly how I would describe the primary benefit, as well. And, you are very welcome! As far as I am concerned, we are all in the process of learning as we go along. So, someone experiments with something, shares it, and we all gain from that process.

There is something else you can try if you want to double-down on clarity. There is no telling whether or not you will prefer it, but again, it's fun to experiment. Try turning DEQ off. If you do, you will almost certainly need to compensate by adding about 5 or 6db of subwoofer boost. Just season to taste.

DEQ boosts the bass in all of the channels, and not just for the subwoofers. Some people really enjoy the cleaner sound of their speakers playing, without that boost. That can especially apply to the center channel, where bass boosts can add more weight and chestiness to male voices. That's one of the things that cascading crossovers tries to prevent, by rolling-off the subs a little faster, so that large sub boosts won't interfere with male voices, which are mainly above 80Hz anyway. But, DEQ works against that principle a little, by boosting the CC's bass above the crossover.

The surround channels have both their bass, and their overall volume, boosted when DEQ is on. (The Guide has a separate section which explains how DEQ works, and why it was designed that way.) When you turn DEQ off, it also allows you access to your tone controls, which you can use to add a little more bass just to the front speakers, if you want to. That won't affect voices, in movies at least. No guarantees on what you might like better--those are just additional tools in your tool box.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks Mike,

Turning it of wont wreck the Audyssey calibration will it. And Im guessing going without DEQ will be like the days before Audyssey where you set everything to 75db and the sub between 77db-80db. Am I correct with my thinking.
mthomas47 likes this.
bigzee3 is offline  
post #29598 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 1,939
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
I heard it’s not good to match subs from different series. Otherwise for the cost I would likely get a PC2000 AND a PC4000 since I can’t afford 2 PC4000 and there isn’t gonna be PC3000 where I would define you get Duels
While it’s always easiest to integrate matching subs lots of folks integrate different subs. For the most part you should not mix sealed and ported and it’s better to mix subs in the same ballpark in terms of performance so you are either not limiting performance of the better sub or straining the lesser sub. Mixing a pc-2000 and pc-4000 might be a bit challenging but a pc-2000 and pc12+ or pc12+ and pc-4000 should be reasonable. Placing the lesser sub closer to mlp can help make up for the difference. It may be possible to do a nearfield pc-2000 and a farfield pc-4000. I’ll let others chime in on that one.
mthomas47 likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
confinoj is online now  
post #29599 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,277
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee3 View Post
Thanks Mike,

Turning it of wont wreck the Audyssey calibration will it. And Im guessing going without DEQ will be like the days before Audyssey where you set everything to 75db and the sub between 77db-80db. Am I correct with my thinking.
Turning On or Off, will not affect your Audyssey calibration
All it does is, if set to On, DEQ add some boost at the lower, and upper end of the frequencies, response. To sound supposedly better, when playing at lower volume. Mine is set to Off, and play my movies between -9 to -13dB from reference.


Ray
mthomas47 and bigzee3 like this.
darthray is offline  
post #29600 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,129
Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5373 Post(s)
Liked: 10036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
I heard it’s not good to match subs from different series. Otherwise for the cost I would likely get a PC2000 AND a PC4000 since I can’t afford 2 PC4000 and there isn’t gonna be PC3000 where I would define you get Duels
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee3 View Post
Thanks Mike,

Turning it of wont wreck the Audyssey calibration will it. And Im guessing going without DEQ will be like the days before Audyssey where you set everything to 75db and the sub between 77db-80db. Am I correct with my thinking.

Since both of these are short questions, I'll take them together, if that's okay.

First, for @Chirosamsung with respect to pairing a PC4000 with a PC2000, I think you could try it if you want to. There are two factors involved with ported subs. The first is the port tune. Ideally, you would like to have the port tunes of two different subs within two or three Hz, to avoid the possibility of cancellation at the port tune and below. I believe there is definitely more than that amount of Hz difference between the PC2000, and the PC4000 in Extended mode. But, you could try the PC4000 in Standard mode and still take advantage of lower extension and more SPL. Later, you might be able to trade-up the PC2000 for a second PC4000, and then you could run them both in Extended mode, for the maximum amount of low-frequency extension.

The second factor is the SPL difference between the two subs. You would definitely want to position the weaker PC2000 closer to your listening position than the PC4000 to help make-up for the difference in SPL. Of course, if you aren't pushing your subs very hard, the difference in SPL capabilities won't really matter, and you will still be able to take advantage of the slightly lower extension of the PC4000 in Standard (all ports open) mode. If you buy a PC4000, though, I would do so with the definite intention of eventually having two of the same subwoofer.


For @bigzee3 you are very welcome! Turning off DEQ won't affect your room EQ in any way. DEQ is a separate software program which is added on top of the room EQ that Audyssey performed. Some people like what DEQ does for their sound and some people don't. At one time, I used it for movies, but never for music. Eventually, I stopped using it all. But, that is strictly a YMMV issue.

Edit: Seeing your response to Darth, I decided to add that how much sub boost you like with DEQ off is strictly up to you. But, yes as the numbers get larger, like -11 compared to -17, the subwoofer will play louder.

Regards,
Mike
darthray and bigzee3 like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 11-15-2018 at 06:42 PM.
mthomas47 is online now  
post #29601 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
bigzee3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Turning On or Off, will not affect your Audyssey calibration
All it does is, if set to On, DEQ add some boost at the lower, and upper end of the frequencies, response. To sound supposedly better, when playing at lower volume. Mine is set to Off, and play my movies between -9 to -13dB from reference.


Ray
Thanks Ray,

So its like going opposite. So if my Sub volume is at -17 for reference level 0.0 according Audyssey and I was watching something at lets say -15MV I would set the sub volume to -11 to compensate for no DEQ boost or something to that level which agrees with my tastes.
mthomas47 likes this.
bigzee3 is offline  
post #29602 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,618
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
I heard it’s not good to match subs from different series. Otherwise for the cost I would likely get a PC2000 AND a PC4000 since I can’t afford 2 PC4000 and there isn’t gonna be PC3000 where I would define you get Duels
Mismatched subs IMO are not that big of a deal unless there is a huge discrepancy in SQ and performance. My SC8000 actually makes a very noticeable improvement in the overall bass response in my room. Since upgrading my AVR I haven't noticed it crying for help on demanding movies like it did before.
Well in that case-does anyone currently use a PC2000 with a PC4000 or a PB2000 with a PB4000?

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
Chirosamsung is offline  
post #29603 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
bigzee3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Thanks mike,

Will definitely give the DEQ off a try after work. I know you said that volumes come down to personal preference and the amount of bass you are looking for so there’s no wrong volume I guess. But for this experiment how much dB would I need to boost my sub with DEQ off to mimic-15mv when DEQ is engaged.
bigzee3 is offline  
post #29604 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
nodoubt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I think the benefits of dsp via an easy phone app might be underestimated by most here.
yep agree 1000 %
theres no way i could live without mine.
how people can set a 1200 watt sub, for ALL material, and forget it, is beyond me.
albums, and even songs in the same album vary wildly in bass iv found.

my app stays up and running every minute im playing music, or watching tv or movies.
it reallly is that good.
Defcon likes this.
nodoubt is offline  
post #29605 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 08:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My sb2000 high gloss piano black finish has some serious damage on the surface at a corner. see attached picture. The black layer peeled off and the wood inside is exposed. Is there any simple way (i'm not very hands on) to somehow fix it? I don't mean to fix it professionally, just somehow to cover it up and make it look less ugly. What's the black material on the surface outside the wood case? I think I need to fill it first then do some painting. Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0922.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2483506  
atx2014 is offline  
post #29606 of 31360 Old 11-15-2018, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,909
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
yep agree 1000 %
theres no way i could live without mine.
how people can set a 1200 watt sub, for ALL material, and forget it, is beyond me.
albums, and even songs in the same album vary wildly in bass iv found.

my app stays up and running every minute im playing music, or watching tv or movies.
it reallly is that good.
Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Please see my thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...nderrated.html

Apparently this is not a popular opinion
Defcon is offline  
post #29607 of 31360 Old 11-16-2018, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx2014 View Post
What's the black material on the surface outside the wood case? I think I need to fill it first then do some painting. Thanks guys.
Use some wood filler and then paint it.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is online now  
post #29608 of 31360 Old 11-16-2018, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,618
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I think the benefits of dsp via an easy phone app might be underestimated by most here.
yep agree 1000 %
theres no way i could live without mine.
how people can set a 1200 watt sub, for ALL material, and forget it, is beyond me.
albums, and even songs in the same album vary wildly in bass iv found.

my app stays up and running every minute im playing music, or watching tv or movies.
it reallly is that good.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
This is the only thing holding me off from buying a pair of PC2000 (or possibly 1 PB2000 and 1 PC2000) vs a “probably” much more expensive PB3000 pair or PC4000 pair or single.

I will have NAD 758 and DIRAC-is the app control over the sub (which the 2000 series is missing) that much better or more convenient then what can be done through the AVR or room correction software on the fly? I believe DIRAC or the NAD has a phone app...I’m wondering if the price savings will be worth it with no sub management app or as some people say-they set it a few times then mostly forget it...

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
Chirosamsung is offline  
post #29609 of 31360 Old 11-16-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,566
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx2014 View Post
My sb2000 high gloss piano black finish has some serious damage on the surface at a corner. see attached picture. The black layer peeled off and the wood inside is exposed. Is there any simple way (i'm not very hands on) to somehow fix it? I don't mean to fix it professionally, just somehow to cover it up and make it look less ugly. What's the black material on the surface outside the wood case? I think I need to fill it first then do some painting. Thanks guys.

You could try something along the lines of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Apoxie-Sculpt...ds=black+epoxy
gene4ht and darthray like this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #29610 of 31360 Old 11-16-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,129
Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5373 Post(s)
Liked: 10036
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee3 View Post
Thanks mike,

Will definitely give the DEQ off a try after work. I know you said that volumes come down to personal preference and the amount of bass you are looking for so there’s no wrong volume I guess. But for this experiment how much dB would I need to boost my sub with DEQ off to mimic-15mv when DEQ is engaged.

The answer to that question is more complicated than it sounds, because DEQ adds bass to more than just the subwoofers. And, the amount of bass that it adds to the subwoofers is variable, ranging from about +1.1db at 70Hz, and above, to +2.2db at 30Hz and below, for every -5 MV from Reference. So, at -5 MV, DEQ is adding about 3.3db to all of the channels, and a variable amount to the subwoofers, increasing to approximately +6.6db at 30Hz and below. But, of course, there isn't always content below 30Hz--especially with most music and many TV shows.

As stated in my earlier post, at your typical listening level, I would start by adding about 5 or 6db of subwoofer boost, and I might also experiment with adding a few decibels of bass boost to the two front speakers, with the tone control, once you turn off DEQ. But, ultimately, your own preferences need to dictate what you do, and those preferences may change slightly depending on the listening material, including how much deep bass it has. I think that most people would probably add much more bass boost for 5.1 movies, than they would for music.

I would seriously recommend reading the article on DEQ, to understand more about how it works and what it is doing. That will help you to better understand what you are hearing, and also to better understand methods that you might like to use to change what you are hearing. This is a direct link to the section on DEQ:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...rences.html#VA

Regards,
Mike
gene4ht, darthray and bigzee3 like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , svs pb12 plus , Svs Pb13 Ultra , svs pc-4000 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off