***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 235 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1419Likes

post #7021 of 8773 Old 04-06-2016, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well I got my VTF15H-MK2 today. Went through the recommended setup and the sub was working just fine. Went back into the receiver setup to test the setting with front speakers set to small. I then proceeded to put some music on and there was no output from the sub. I noticed that the heat sink was a little warm so I turned off the sub via the power toggle and gave it 5-10 minutes. Went over and put my hand on the heat sink and it was hot! Could only keep my hand against it for 1-2 seconds. I quickly unplugged the power cord and made a call to HSU. They are sending out a new amp. Such a let down as I was so excited to get the sub as I've never owned one before. Has anyone else had issues like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 8773 Old 04-06-2016, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Sadly Poker11788 has not filled us in on his experience with HSU.

He obviously returned it and got an SVS, but info would have been helpful.

Posters who ask for opinions should have the courtesy to return the favor, no?

Helps us all.
C'mon brother, you gotta know I'm not wired that way. You guys have been so super cool listening to my countless hours of whining about this whole HSU debacle. I would never leave you hanging. Lol

Well things have certainly gone a different direction once again. Somehow I made a couple of tiny scratches next to the logo while packing the box and they wanted approximately 20% restocking free. So I figured I paid $460 for the sub plus $70 for the original shipping than a 2nd $70 for the 2nd shipping than 20% on top of that would make my refund a whopping $232. So I decided that there's no way I was going to do that. I'm gonna simply give it to one of you guys from here for $232. It's brand new as everyone knows. I hope that helps everybody for closure.

I have changed my speakers around. I got rid of my Dali Opticon 2's and replaced them with Dynaudio Focus 160's for a smokin' deal and of course everybody knows I switched out the HSU for the SB-2000.

Thanks for everything gents. I'll follow up on everything as it comes.
post #7023 of 8773 Old 04-06-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Greetings,
Yesterday I ordered a VTF-15 MKII in Rosewood that I am quite stoked about. This is replacing a MartinLogan Depth (non i) and needless to say, this stands to be a sea change.

Originally I was using a MartinLogan Descent i in tandem with the Depth but the movers managed to destroy the Descent i and ended up spending the money they paid out towards a $10,000 audio upgrade to my Land Cruiser.

On Sunday I actually purchased dual SVS SB2000's from Magnolia Design Center, but while quite good, something felt lacking and decided to go with a single 15 of high quality and add another should the room demand it.

The VTF-15 is being used with ML Vantages, Stage, Vistas and Montages (SBL/SBR) so I will mostly run it in the sealed configuration.

If anyone is running theirs in sealed, would love to read the settings you are using.
Best,
AD
SJTrance and malmstump like this.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7024 of 8773 Old 04-08-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by poker11788 View Post
C'mon brother, you gotta know I'm not wired that way. You guys have been so super cool listening to my countless hours of whining about this whole HSU debacle. I would never leave you hanging. Lol

Well things have certainly gone a different direction once again. Somehow I made a couple of tiny scratches next to the logo while packing the box and they wanted approximately 20% restocking free. So I figured I paid $460 for the sub plus $70 for the original shipping than a 2nd $70 for the 2nd shipping than 20% on top of that would make my refund a whopping $232. So I decided that there's no way I was going to do that. I'm gonna simply give it to one of you guys from here for $232. It's brand new as everyone knows. I hope that helps everybody for closure.

I have changed my speakers around. I got rid of my Dali Opticon 2's and replaced them with Dynaudio Focus 160's for a smokin' deal and of course everybody knows I switched out the HSU for the SB-2000.

Thanks for everything gents. I'll follow up on everything as it comes.
Wait, but if they inspected it, that means you've already sent it back and already wasted $228, no?
post #7025 of 8773 Old 04-08-2016, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
please post a photo of your room setup so we can see and help ,i m wondering about your receiver end settings,your saying it sounds boomy have you run calibration auto ?go into settings check if your crossover is set to 80 hz and not 40 hz .also don't turn gain too high it s sensitive ....lease post pic and check settings and report back if you need help with manual spl measurements let me know
And ensure the amp isn't set to "extra bass" or "double bass" or "moar bass" -- any setting that sends low freqs below the crossover to the sub AND the mains. Part of the benefit of a good sub is giving the mains a little rest on the lower end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poker11788 View Post
Here you go this is what my setup looks like.
From stand to stand is 4 feet.
Each stand is roughly 1 foot away from stereo tower.
Each stand is 36 inches high.
Sub is 8 inches from the wall.

I've included pictures of the front and back of my amp. That way you know what your dealing with.

Hope this helps
Thanks
No WAY those bookshelf speakers are going to dip below about 120hz with confidence. I'd set your crossover to 120hz. And that's barely enough left-right separation for my money.

OH. You already returned it. Nevermind. Happy trails....
malmstump likes this.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 04-08-2016 at 05:15 PM.
post #7026 of 8773 Old 04-15-2016, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, all. This is my first post here, but I'm a long-time lurker...

I bought a VTF3-MK5 HP back in December. First, let me just say... WOW! This thing rattles my whole house. It's the first "true" subwoofer I've ever owned.

Of course, I've been tweaking my setup ever since. In doing so, I discovered that the sub isn't only making my house rattle, but there's a rattle coming from within the sub itself. I've isolated it to the right rear top corner (as you're facing it) of the enclosure. If I press down on that corner, the rattle goes away. So, I'm fairly certain that's where the issue is.

My question is: since I didn't opt for the extended warranty (even if it is covered under warranty, the shipping would be a huge pain), is it recommended that I try to open it up and fix the rattle? Has anybody had any similar issues? Does anybody have any suggestions on opening it up and fixing the rattle?
post #7027 of 8773 Old 04-15-2016, 03:47 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by russcrypto View Post
I bought a VTF3-MK5 HP back in December. First, let me just say... WOW! This thing rattles my whole house. It's the first "true" subwoofer I've ever owned.

My question is: since I didn't opt for the extended warranty (even if it is covered under warranty, the shipping would be a huge pain), is it recommended that I try to open it up and fix the rattle? Has anybody had any similar issues? Does anybody have any suggestions on opening it up and fixing the rattle?
If you bought it new in December then you're still under warranty, so I would give HSU a shout and see what they have to say. Historically they've been quite accommodating to work with.
BufordTJustice likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #7028 of 8773 Old 04-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
If you bought it new in December then you're still under warranty, so I would give HSU a shout and see what they have to say. Historically they've been quite accommodating to work with.
Agreed. My first HSU was their original VTF-2 10" with a 175 watt amp. Even several years out of warranty, they are extremely accommodating.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #7029 of 8773 Old 04-22-2016, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Hi there,

Russcrypto: I'm going to send you a PM in regards to that. I'll talk to Dr. Hsu and see what we will recommend in this case. It's pretty odd that the enclosure developed that kind of issue.

As for Poker's case, he has been in touch with us and has spoken with our head technician, Dr. Hsu, and me, at length, in regards to it. According to his feedback to us, we felt that there was an issue with placement as well as maybe the output needs weren't being met. He had it set to around 12 o'clock which is generally pretty high for the VTF-1 Mk2. Dr. Hsu did recommend that he may want to consider upgrading to a more powerful sub. He did voice concern over scratches he found near the logo and he sent us a picture. Our policy is that the sub needs to be returned in "like new" condition in order to receive the full refund on the base price. If it does show cosmetic issues upon return, we do charge a 15% restocking fee, but I explained that the technician would need to look over it first to really determine if it would need the 15% restocking fee or not. We never stated 20%. Note also that the shipping for the VTF-1 Mk2 is $48 and not $70, though that may be the cost of return shipping. I'm not sure. We are sorry to hear that the VTF-1 Mk2 didn't quite work out for you. We wish you all the best in getting your new sub integrated in your system.
BornSlippyZ and ChromeJob like this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #7030 of 8773 Old 05-03-2016, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That's really good to see/read HSU Research responding online here in the AVS Forums. I currently have an Outlaw LFM-1 EX (12") and thinking of upgrading to the HSU VTF-15H MK2 DualDrive Package so good to see great customer service. And since they're in Southern California, it'd be closer for shipping.
post #7031 of 8773 Old 06-07-2016, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I have been looking at getting dual SVS PB2000 but have recently learned of the HSU subs. I do not think I can afford two HSU subs up front as my budget may not allow it. However for strictly HT usage would you recommend the VTF-3 MK5 or the VTF-15h MK2? My room is about 14x11x7h, carpet floors, two windows and an exterior door. It is a basement room.

I will eventually be running Ascend Sierra Towers, I have Sierra 2's and ordering a horizon center soon. I eventually want to go with two subs as I hear they are better than a single. The room It will be put in is in a rental and will be buying a house in a few years so the room will get larger (hopefully).

Anyway, for movies is the MK2 that much better than the MK5? I realize its only $100 difference so thats negligible.
post #7032 of 8773 Old 06-07-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
I have been looking at getting dual SVS PB2000 but have recently learned of the HSU subs. I do not think I can afford two HSU subs up front as my budget may not allow it. However for strictly HT usage would you recommend the VTF-3 MK5 or the VTF-15h MK2? My room is about 14x11x7h, carpet floors, two windows and an exterior door. It is a basement room.

I will eventually be running Ascend Sierra Towers, I have Sierra 2's and ordering a horizon center soon. I eventually want to go with two subs as I hear they are better than a single. The room It will be put in is in a rental and will be buying a house in a few years so the room will get larger (hopefully).

Anyway, for movies is the MK2 that much better than the MK5? I realize its only $100 difference so thats negligible.
Call HSU and talk to them... they would be happy to give you a proper recommendation for your situation...
post #7033 of 8773 Old 06-07-2016, 07:34 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post

My vote would go to the VTF-3 MK5. I reviewed that model about a year ago, so I'm very familiar with it.

The reason I suggested it was due to your room size, which is not at all large. The VTF-3 is smaller than the VTF-15H, doesn't cost as much and has only about a 1dB deficit in total output across the entire passband. That's pretty negligible. The larger the sub the more obtrusive it will be in a smaller room; getting 98% of the performance the VTF-15 has in only 85% of the space is a bonus in my eyes. The VTF-3 will be able to handle your room with ease. A pair of them - as you suggested might be in the offing - would really get the place rockin'.
galonzo and BufordTJustice like this.

post #7034 of 8773 Old 06-07-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
My vote would go to the VTF-3 MK5. I reviewed that model about a year ago, so I'm very familiar with it.

The reason I suggested it was due to your room size, which is not at all large. The VTF-3 is smaller than the VTF-15H, doesn't cost as much and has only about a 1dB deficit in total output across the entire passband. That's pretty negligible. The larger the sub the more obtrusive it will be in a smaller room; getting 98% of the performance the VTF-15 has in only 85% of the space is a bonus in my eyes. The VTF-3 will be able to handle your room with ease. A pair of them - as you suggested might be in the offing - would really get the place rockin'.
@Theriddler07sms , FWIW, I came to the same conclusion for my situation, plus WAF was yet another factor I had to consider.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.4) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Shield
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hobbs & Shaw and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #7035 of 8773 Old 06-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I talked to an HSU rep and they suggested the mk5 too. The mk2 is minimal increase for extra money.

Hopefully ordering by the end of the month
galonzo likes this.
post #7036 of 8773 Old 06-08-2016, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Well I have become a new HSU owner. Bought a preloved VTF3-MK5. Certainly a big improvement over the Bic F12 I had before but still hoping for more. Currently running 4" open EQ1. Room is around 3500 with some openings so in the end I will need another. Current placement is really bad right next to one of the large openings. Will be moving it this weekend to a corner for better positioning, will test a couple to see which is best as I only have two to choose.

My goal is the best low end chest hit in movies, music is not an issue all things considered. Am I in the right setup mode?
post #7037 of 8773 Old 06-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
Well I have become a new HSU owner. Bought a preloved VTF3-MK5. Certainly a big improvement over the Bic F12 I had before but still hoping for more. Currently running 4" open EQ1. Room is around 3500 with some openings so in the end I will need another. Current placement is really bad right next to one of the large openings. Will be moving it this weekend to a corner for better positioning, will test a couple to see which is best as I only have two to choose.

My goal is the best low end chest hit in movies, music is not an issue all things considered. Am I in the right setup mode?
With just a single unit in a room that size you might be better off going for output, which means both ports open. After you get the second then one port mode is the best choice. Duals will provide sufficient output such that you can then configure them both for depth.

post #7038 of 8773 Old 06-14-2016, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello all! About to get a pair of HB-1 MK2s matched with a VTF-1 MK2. For those who have a similar setup, where did you set the sub crossover frequency to start with?

Sony KDL-55W800C | Marantz SR5010 | HSU HB-1 MK2 | HSU VTF-1 MK2
KDL-55W800C Calibration (Updated 8/2016)
post #7039 of 8773 Old 06-14-2016, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderjahr View Post
Hello all! About to get a pair of HB-1 MK2s matched with a VTF-1 MK2. For those who have a similar setup, where did you set the sub crossover frequency to start with?
Using a crossover frequency of 80Hz for the speakers would be a good start. All the best.
post #7040 of 8773 Old 06-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Question

Does HSU have coupon codes/promotional codes? I see before checkout, they have that option

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY*
*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*

Last edited by purplerain; 08-06-2016 at 01:22 PM.
post #7041 of 8773 Old 06-18-2016, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any hsu speaker owners out there? Can you comment on how you like them. I'm stuck between the HUS hb-1 mk2 or the svs prime speakers. I also have noticed the HSU speakers have been out for awhile now does anyone know if HSU has any plans to release a new model anytime soon?

Last edited by Kingchip161; 06-18-2016 at 09:56 PM.
post #7042 of 8773 Old 06-18-2016, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingchip161 View Post
Any hsu speaker owners out there? Can you comment on how you like them. I'm stuck between the HUS hb-1 mk2 or the svs prime speakers. I also have noticed the HSU speakers have been out for awhile now does anyone know if HSU has any plans to release a new model anytime soon?

Couldn't say if a new model is coming soon or not, but the mk2 is a great speaker. Not bright, not laid back, just right and very good bass. Midrange is good and they don't seem to have the "cupped hands" sound I've heard from other horns. The black satin is nice, but the rosenut is worth the money IMO.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #7043 of 8773 Old 06-21-2016, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok, asking you guys for your opinion. I'm reading over the various EQ settings and I'm wondering what is best for my uses. I have shared walls, so I can't be rattling the foundations. Movies/games/music is split evenly and I don't turn the volume up too much. I don't use any dynamic compression and everything is as flat as I can get it. I'm looking for a mode that is a jack-of-all-trades for me. What do you guys think? Personally, I'm leaning towards Ported Max Extension mode because it specifically addresses lower playback volume. However, would sealed mode be better for me if I have shared walls?

Quote:
1) Ported Max Output Mode: 2 ports open, and operating mode switch set to ‘EQ2”. This mode is ideal for those with medium-to-large room sizes who listen at high playback levels and want the strongest mid-bass possible. NOTE: Never operate the subwoofer with 2 ports open and operating mode switch set to ‘EQ1’, as this may damage the driver and void the warranty.

2) Ported Max Extension Mode: 1 port open, and operating mode switch set to ‘EQ1’. This mode is ideal for those with medium-to-large room sizes, or small to medium rooms but who listen at low-to-moderate playback levels where the rising low bass from room gain will help compensate for the ear’s insensitivity to bass at lower levels.

3) Ported Max Headroom Mode: 1 port open, and operating mode switch set to ‘EQ2’. This mode is ideal for those with medium-to large room sizes who listen at high playback levels and want the deepest bass extension.

4) Sealed Max Extension Mode: 0 ports open, and operating mode switch set to ‘EQ1’. This mode is ideal for those who prefer a sealed box sound and deepest bass extension. Not recommended for high SPL operation in this mode as woofer excursion can get excessively high and can damage the woofer.

5) Sealed Max Headroom Mode: 0 ports open, and operating mode switch set to ‘EQ2’. This mode is ideal for those who want the sealed box sound and listen at high playback levels.

Sony KDL-55W800C | Marantz SR5010 | HSU HB-1 MK2 | HSU VTF-1 MK2
KDL-55W800C Calibration (Updated 8/2016)
post #7044 of 8773 Old 06-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderjahr View Post
Ok, asking you guys for your opinion. I'm reading over the various EQ settings and I'm wondering what is best for my uses. I have shared walls, so I can't be rattling the foundations. Movies/games/music is split evenly and I don't turn the volume up too much. I don't use any dynamic compression and everything is as flat as I can get it. I'm looking for a mode that is a jack-of-all-trades for me. What do you guys think? Personally, I'm leaning towards Ported Max Extension mode because it specifically addresses lower playback volume. However, would sealed mode be better for me if I have shared walls?
If using room correction, then run that with one port open, EQ1, Q7. After that play around with different modes. I think you have the right Idea though. Leaving it in Ported Max Extension (one port open) will give you lower frequencies, and won't run out of steam at lower levels. Then again to hear those lower frequencies you usually need higher SPL. Try the sealed mode Max Extension too, if you won't be cranking it up. Just be careful if you get the itch to blast reference levels when your neighbors are gone. If you do crank it in sealed mode, just remember to flip the the switch to EQ2 first.

Denon X6200W - Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts - Klipsch KLF-C7 Center - Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds - Klipsch RB-61 II Back surround -OSD ACE850 ceiling x 4 Atmos - Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs - 4 Dayton Audio BST-1 Bass Shakers with SA230 Amp - BenQ W1070 projector - 106" Antra fixed Screen
post #7045 of 8773 Old 06-23-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Couldn't say if a new model is coming soon or not, but the mk2 is a great speaker. Not bright, not laid back, just right and very good bass. Midrange is good and they don't seem to have the "cupped hands" sound I've heard from other horns. The black satin is nice, but the rosenut is worth the money IMO.

Could you tell me if the dust cap on the speakers is treated the same as the drivers are, or does the dust cap seem flimsy and could be pushed in easy?

Last edited by Kingchip161; 06-23-2016 at 07:59 PM.
post #7046 of 8773 Old 06-23-2016, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingchip161 View Post
Could you tell me if the dust cap on the speakers is treated the same as the drivers are, or does the dust cap seem flimsy and could be pushed in easy?

Flimsy. If you have little fingers around, I'd leave them out of reach or just leave the grills on.

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #7047 of 8773 Old 06-24-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Flimsy. If you have little fingers around, I'd leave them out of reach or just leave the grills on.

Thanks, little fingers are exactly what I am worried about lol. I have a little one just starting to walk
post #7048 of 8773 Old 06-27-2016, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
What are my upgrade options for my VTF-3 MK2 in the amplifier department. Does HSU still have the MK4 amp that fits in the MK2? My amp blew a few years ago and I have not got around to replacing it as of yet.
post #7049 of 8773 Old 07-13-2016, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I purchased a VTF-15H MK2 that just shipped. This is my first time owning a HSU product. It will be going into a computer room that is roughly 1400 cu. ft. on the 2nd floor of a colonial. Currently I am using two subs in this room, an Emotiva X-Ref 12 and an Emotiva Ultra Sub 10. They have been OK but not exactly chest thumpers. The other problem has been that because of everything else in the room placement has not been ideal so from where I'm sitting you don't get the most effect. Well, I guess something just snapped in me and I decided to put another sub in a spot that I never thought I would and went with this 15" big boy. The price/performance ratio was the best, the finish was exactly what I wanted, and the dimensions were just right. And for me, personally, DIY was not an option. Other gear includes an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC, XPA-200 2ch amp, and a pair of Polk Monitor40s. I listen to all kinds of music and I wanted to kick it up a notch without looking back and saying "maybe I should have went bigger." I think this is about as big of a sub as I can comfortably live with in this room. Other considerations included the SVS PC13-ULTRA, PB-2000, PB12-PLUS, Rythmik FV15HP, PSA V1500, etc. I was not really considering a sealed sub (even though this is mainly for music) simply because I wanted the most SPL I could get. So I'm going to give it a shot when I get it next week and worst case scenario I'll put it in my HT to replace one of the MFW-15s that just went out on me for the last time (domed capacitor repair didn't work this time). But for the HT I'll probably go with dual JTR Cap 1400s at some point down the road. Now, the question is going to be whether to keep the other two Emotiva subs in the system or remove them. I live across the country 2300 miles away so I hope it doesn't get beat up in the shipping.

And the other thing, how do I get this thing up the stairs? Will this work? LOL

Last edited by counterpoint; 07-14-2016 at 11:32 AM.
post #7050 of 8773 Old 07-14-2016, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Is chuffing of any concern with the vtf3.5 in low extension mode? I think that is 4" port plugged and 3" open. I've seen a fewe rooms of chuffing but also it seemed a few had gained turned way too high. If I were to get these, I would calibrate with audyssey and maybe raise a dB or 2 from receiver if I don't like output. But where I'm getting at if gain isn't to high would a scene like live. Die. Repeat. Edge of tomorrow show that weakness if gain and sub properly rated?

Seriously thinking about selling my two hsu's anf getting two of those. I'd really like the vtf15 of course but still love in an apartment. I kind of like they bumped up the amps to 600w. Should make for some serious punch with less effort when needed and probably help music out some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page