***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 259 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1346Likes

post #7741 of 8639 Old 11-28-2017, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
I've heard that AVR calibration software will negate the benefits of the better sub, but maybe placing the more capable sub in the less optimal location would allow you to get some benefit from it. Would be curious how your frankenstein sub really performs compared to a pure VTF-1. I'd listen to what other people have to say over me, though. I really just commented to find out what software you used to do your room layout. Looks good.
Picking up the repaired sub today! FYI, not sure who my audio repair guy talked to, but he called HSU Research directly and it was they who recommended simply replacing the amp this way. And it'll be covered under a new warranty.

Software is Microsoft Visio. I've used it in the past and it's pretty easy. No 3D rendering. It just so happens that through my work I could buy it for like $10 instead of $300. That was a very early iteration of my plans FWIW.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 8639 Old 11-28-2017, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by turt View Post
Picking up the repaired sub today! FYI, not sure who my audio repair guy talked to, but he called HSU Research directly and it was they who recommended simply replacing the amp this way. And it'll be covered under a new warranty.

Software is Microsoft Visio. I've used it in the past and it's pretty easy. No 3D rendering. It just so happens that through my work I could buy it for like $10 instead of $300. That was a very early iteration of my plans FWIW.
I would call HSU and ask their opinion. They are super helpful and knowledgeable...quite literally the definitive source for answers on placement, configuration, and compatibility.

Thanks for the software tip. I used Visio for my basement layout as well. Yours just looks nicer and more detailed. Were you involved in building your own basement to know where all the circuits are located?
post #7743 of 8639 Old 11-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would call HSU and ask their opinion. They are super helpful and knowledgeable...quite literally the definitive source for answers on placement, configuration, and compatibility.

Thanks for the software tip. I used Visio for my basement layout as well. Yours just looks nicer and more detailed. Were you involved in building your own basement to know where all the circuits are located?
I was hoping HSUKevin would chime in a response to my question. I will call if he doesn't respond soon.

I finished the entire basement myself (except for drywall) so yes I know where all the circuits are.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7744 of 8639 Old 11-28-2017, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Sorry about being away for a bit. You can certainly do this. They both have the same size driver of similar design, in basically the same sized enclosure and tuning, so the new amp should work just as well as the old. However, the newer amp does come with the Q control functionality, so that would be an added benefit.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #7745 of 8639 Old 11-28-2017, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Kevin. I'm not sure you digested my post 7738 entirely. I'm not concerned with changing the amp. That's already done. But if I went dual, my question is can/should I go with vtf-2 mk5 paired with the repaired vtf-1(ish)? Or play it safe with another vtf-1? The vtf 2.5 is a 12 inch, my current is 10 inch. Are you saying these are close enough?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Ron

Last edited by turt; 11-29-2017 at 05:56 AM.
post #7746 of 8639 Old 11-29-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post
For FedEx deliveries, track your package online, and you can have the package held at one of their locations (your local FedEx/Kinkos store). Very convenient, and well worth doing for expensive gear.
You can certainly do that. However, I recommend letting us know before we ship because if you try to divert the package during shipment, FedEx may charge you for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turt View Post
Thanks Kevin. I'm not sure you digested my post 7738 entirely. I'm not concerned with changing the amp. That's already done. But if I went dual, my question is can/should I go with vtf-2 mk5 paired with the repaired vtf-1(ish)? Or play it safe with another vtf-1? The vtf 2.5 is a 12 inch, my current is 10 inch. Are you saying these are close enough?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Whoops sorry Ron!

I will say that there is no downside (other than aesthetics) of getting a second sub that is better in performance than the one you have currently. However, the main thing is that it may be a bit more challenging to utilize both subs to their fullest potential due to the smaller sub causing a bottleneck. It won't really be any worse than adding a second sub of the same performance. It may actually improve things in some instances such as extension

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #7747 of 8639 Old 11-30-2017, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@HsuKevin Are the VTF15 deals done for the year?
post #7748 of 8639 Old 12-01-2017, 06:57 AM
GTZ

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
FedEx delivered my new VTF-2 MK5 yesterday afternoon . It's replacing my Epic Sentinal who's amp died a couple weeks ago. At least it picked a good time to go so I could take advantage of the HSU sale price. Looking forward to running MCACC today and getting it blended in with my system.
HsuKevin likes this.
post #7749 of 8639 Old 12-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
@HsuKevin Are the VTF15 deals done for the year?
Hey there!

I'm not quite sure to be honest. We probably won't have it on sale in time for Christmas due to FedEx increasing the shipping cost. It might be on sale after Christmas for New Years, but it depends on stock, etc.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #7750 of 8639 Old 12-01-2017, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hopefully this isn't against TOS, but I found a VTF-15H on CraigsList for $450. Would this be a good deal or should I save up a little more and aim for the VTF-2 MK5? I am trying not to spend over $500 to $600. I'm currently using a STF-2 which is solid, but obviously doesn't dig too deep.
post #7751 of 8639 Old 12-01-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Hey there!

I'm not quite sure to be honest. We probably won't have it on sale in time for Christmas due to FedEx increasing the shipping cost. It might be on sale after Christmas for New Years, but it depends on stock, etc.
So Fedex globally increased their rates just for the holidays? That means the total cost for subs is actually more expensive than usual right now? There goes my Christmas present to myself.
post #7752 of 8639 Old 12-01-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller1181 View Post
Hopefully this isn't against TOS, but I found a VTF-15H on CraigsList for $450. Would this be a good deal or should I save up a little more and aim for the VTF-2 MK5? I am trying not to spend over $500 to $600. I'm currently using a STF-2 which is solid, but obviously doesn't dig too deep.
Unfortunately, I can't comment on the used market but I can tell you that the VTF-15H does play a bit louder and cleaner than the VTF-2 Mk5 by 2-3 dB's or so. It also has a larger port size so it can play significantly louder and cleaner with less port noise. It is significantly larger in size as well. Both have very similar extension.

Quote:
So Fedex globally increased their rates just for the holidays? That means the total cost for subs is actually more expensive than usual right now? There goes my Christmas present to myself.
Yea they increased it globally. However, we are not planning on increasing the shipping cost to go along with it.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #7753 of 8639 Old 12-01-2017, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea they increased it globally. However, we are not planning on increasing the shipping cost to go along with it.
Oh, well that's good news at least!
post #7754 of 8639 Old 12-04-2017, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't comment on the used market but I can tell you that the VTF-15H does play a bit louder and cleaner than the VTF-2 Mk5 by 2-3 dB's or so. It also has a larger port size so it can play significantly louder and cleaner with less port noise. It is significantly larger in size as well. Both have very similar extension.

Kevin, thanks for the info about difference between the two. I ended up demoing it and then buying the VTF-15H. Holy mother, this this is amazing. I only got to mess around with it for about an hour this weekend, but I played the beginning of Edge of Tomorrow and a few scenes in John Wick. I'm sure a single 15 inch sub wouldn't satisfy some (and probably me in a few years), but this is what I've been wanting for years.

I realized after my wife had gone to bed that I didn't even have the Q value set correctly for deeper extension, might have to take a day off here soon.

Anyway, thanks again.

Funny quick story, I had my friend help move it into my place from the car. I told him the guy I got it from was upgrading to another really good brand (Rythmik) and he quickly interrupted with, "Bose?"

Edit: One quick question. I have the sub beside my couch. Right now it's pointing towards the couch with only about 8 inches between the woofer and couch. Should I rotate it so it's pointing towards the front of the room or keep it pointed towards the couch?

Here's a picture: https://i.imgur.com/XdAVmGW.jpg

Last edited by emiller1181; 12-04-2017 at 07:54 AM.
post #7755 of 8639 Old 12-07-2017, 06:58 AM

Liked: 17
I just received a VTF-3 that I bought and hooked it up last night. I unplugged my old BIC Formula 12 and hooked the RCA cable into my new VTF, and plugged the sub up. I used the settings suggested for "first time use" in the booklet and turned on my system expecting to be blown away.... but I got nothing. If I leave it in auto, most of the time it is red, though occasionally will turn green. If I plug the RCA cable into my old sub, I still get sound. If I take the receiver end of the RCA cable and rub the nub, the VTF makes noise. But when hooked up to my receiver it does nothing.

I have a Denon X4300. I have tried fiddling with settings in the receiver changing speakers from large to small, going from LFE only to LFE + main, etc. Nothing seems to make a difference, there remains no output from the sub. Perhaps most damning is running a test tone from the receiver makes no noise from the sub.

I have a set of new LCR speakers being delivered today, so I will hook those up and then run Audyssey to see if that changes anything, but I would think that I should notice at least a little bump and vibration from the sub if I'm touching it while holding down the trigger in a game.

Any thoughts on what else could be wrong or settings I should check? Thanks
post #7756 of 8639 Old 12-07-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Definitely get everything hooked up and in place. Set the sub to around 11 o’clock on the sub gain, EQ1, 0 Phase, Q @ 0.7, and Crossover to Out with right port plugged. You can experiment with that later if needed. Run Audyssey and your sub trim (Channel Level) should be around -6 to -9. Bump it +3db, make sure your fronts are set to small on 80hz, and LPF for LFE is on 120hz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
post #7757 of 8639 Old 12-07-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

***Official HSU owners/support thread!***

I have the VTF-3 MK5 with the X4300H AVR as well...

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
post #7758 of 8639 Old 12-07-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
Definitely get everything hooked up and in place. Set the sub to around 11 o’clock on the sub gain, EQ1, 0 Phase, Q @ 0.7, and Crossover to Out with right port plugged. You can experiment with that later if needed. Run Audyssey and your sub trim (Channel Level) should be around -6 to -9. Bump it +3db, make sure your fronts are set to small on 80hz, and LPF for LFE is on 120hz.

Thanks for your help, I'll take a look at that stuff when I get home tonight. Of most interest to me is the "plug it into the right port". I currently have it in the "Sub-in/Left" port as I assumed that was the default. Maybe that is the issue. Interesting the default input isn't the one listed as sub-in and is below the other if that is the case.
post #7759 of 8639 Old 12-07-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averhoeven View Post
Thanks for your help, I'll take a look at that stuff when I get home tonight. Of most interest to me is the "plug it into the right port". I currently have it in the "Sub-in/Left" port as I assumed that was the default. Maybe that is the issue. Interesting the default input isn't the one listed as sub-in and is below the other if that is the case.

The settings I gave you is what I use for lowest extension and just sounds better to me. If you play crazy loud and need more output then leave both ports open at set to EQ2. I didn’t like the sound as much that way...

post #7760 of 8639 Old 12-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I just received a VTF-3 that I bought and hooked it up last night. I unplugged my old BIC Formula 12 and hooked the RCA cable into my new VTF, and plugged the sub up. I used the settings suggested for "first time use" in the booklet and turned on my system expecting to be blown away.... but I got nothing. If I leave it in auto, most of the time it is red, though occasionally will turn green. If I plug the RCA cable into my old sub, I still get sound. If I take the receiver end of the RCA cable and rub the nub, the VTF makes noise. But when hooked up to my receiver it does nothing.

I have a Denon X4300. I have tried fiddling with settings in the receiver changing speakers from large to small, going from LFE only to LFE + main, etc. Nothing seems to make a difference, there remains no output from the sub. Perhaps most damning is running a test tone from the receiver makes no noise from the sub.

I have a set of new LCR speakers being delivered today, so I will hook those up and then run Audyssey to see if that changes anything, but I would think that I should notice at least a little bump and vibration from the sub if I'm touching it while holding down the trigger in a game.

You don’t mention if you recalibrated or not after hooking up the HSU.
post #7761 of 8639 Old 12-07-2017, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

You probably have it plugged into sub2 (instead of sub 1).
I also have a 4300 and a new 2.5 which shakes the house in a 4900 sq ft basement space.

Good luck with troubleshooting- it has to be something simple.
galonzo likes this.
post #7762 of 8639 Old 12-08-2017, 06:31 AM

I did a bunch of trouble-shooting and ran Audyssey after receiving my new speakers last night (Ascend CMTs), changing of settings, etc last night. Unfortunately I didn't have another RCA cable. I'd sort of given up for a bit and decided to play a game without the boom for a while. However, at one point I was standing very close to a very large explosion in the game and suddenly the sub sprang to life. There was a brief period of activity where it remained active on frequencies it had previously ignored (gunfire, etc) and then it disappeared again.
That made me wonder if when I recalibrated with Audyssey, it set a super low crossover point. I went in and looked and though the sub setup was at LFE+main and a crossover of 120hz, the speakers were set to a crossover of 40hz. I changed them to 80hz and noticed a bit more activity out of the sub at times. However, it still felt sudden as if it were simply cutting in and out, springing to life every once in a while when there was something really low frequency, hanging out for about 10 secs doing other frequencies I would expect it to respond to and then it would disappear again until the next ultra-low sound. I had no idea what was going on. I tried changing it from auto to on, though that didn't make any difference and I didn't expect it to.
Again, I'd given up for the evening and consigned myself to the fact that it was just coming and going very noticeably almost like it was exhausted and every once in a while someone would hit it, tell it to wake up, it would work frantically and then fall back asleep. As a final effort after getting annoyed at the cutting in and out while watching a show, I decided to fiddle with some of the stuff on the back one at a time with a constant audio source running. I independently moved all the switches and dials (crossover on-off, crossover dial, Q dial, etc) with no response. Then I flicked the switch from EQ1 to EQ2 and the sub came alive. Something about the EQ2 setting is making it active when the EQ1 was keeping it off 95% of the time. It was loud, powerful, and consistently making noise. So much so that 30 mins later my wife came down and asked me why the hell everything had to be so loud.
What is this EQ2 doing and why would it turn the sub from basically being non-functional to being nearly over-powerful and excessive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstripe View Post
You don’t mention if you recalibrated or not after hooking up the HSU.
I did last night once my new LCR speakers came in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhpm510 View Post
You probably have it plugged into sub2 (instead of sub 1).
I also have a 4300 and a new 2.5 which shakes the house in a 4900 sq ft basement space.

Good luck with troubleshooting- it has to be something simple.
It was plugged into sub 1.

Last edited by Averhoeven; 12-08-2017 at 06:36 AM.
post #7763 of 8639 Old 12-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked: 3280
Quote:
I went in and looked and though the sub setup was at LFE+main and a crossover of 120hz, the speakers were set to a crossover of 40hz. I changed them to 80hz and noticed a bit more activity out of the sub at times.
You may want to reconsider LFE+main as that will send some of the LFE to your speakers. The sub should be the only thing getting the audio from that track.
galonzo likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #7764 of 8639 Old 12-08-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
You may want to reconsider LFE+main as that will send some of the LFE to your speakers. The sub should be the only thing getting the audio from that track.
Thanks. I didn't plan on that being the long term solution, but I was trying everything I could to force sound into my sub for testing purposes.

I just received a reply from Hsu's tech guys after emailing them the exact same thing as above. He thinks that the amp has a intermittent contact when positioned in the EQ1 position. They are sending a replacement amp for me. Quick, easy, helpful service from them. Can't complain, **** happens (especially when you're asking the UPS guy to single-handedly haul a 90lb box around...).
galonzo likes this.
post #7765 of 8639 Old 12-08-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I didn't plan on that being the long term solution, but I was trying everything I could to force sound into my sub for testing purposes.

I just received a reply from Hsu's tech guys after emailing them the exact same thing as above. He thinks that the amp has a intermittent contact when positioned in the EQ1 position. They are sending a replacement amp for me. Quick, easy, helpful service from them. Can't complain, **** happens (especially when you're asking the UPS guy to single-handedly haul a 90lb box around...).

I would not run LFE+Main. You’re taking bass away from the sub.

post #7766 of 8639 Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

What do you set your surrounds at?
post #7767 of 8639 Old 12-08-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
What do you set your surrounds at?

What do you mean?

post #7768 of 8639 Old 12-08-2017, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
What do you mean?

You said set your fronts to 80hz. I'm asking what you set the surrounds at.
post #7769 of 8639 Old 12-08-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
You said set your fronts to 80hz. I'm asking what you set the surrounds at.

I leave them at what post Audyssey is. My fronts are 40hz afterwards but I change them to 60hz, center is 80, and surrounds are 120hz.

post #7770 of 8639 Old 12-11-2017, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've had my VTF3 now for about 3 or 4 months have left the ports sealed for now. Should I experiment on opening any of the ports??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page