***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 274 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1345Likes

post #8191 of 8638 Old 11-16-2018, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I received my VTF-3 MK5 last night... the wife, surprisingly, loves it! It's in my living room that's 21'LX16w with 22' ceilings and opens to a kitchen that is 21'x14'4" with 12' ceilings. We just moved in last Saturday, so we don't have everything set up and mounted yet, but wow... I'm very impressed. Can't wait for the tower speakers to come in and then I'll be set! I was messing around with the q control, cross over, port plugs, and eq last night. It's a beast of a sub and tons of fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Subwoofer.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	731.3 KB
ID:	2483632  
sdrucker, GTZ, Todd G. and 5 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 8638 Old 11-16-2018, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blais223 View Post
I received my VTF-3 MK5 last night... the wife, surprisingly, loves it! It's in my living room that's 21'LX16w with 22' ceilings and opens to a kitchen that is 21'x14'4" with 12' ceilings. We just moved in last Saturday, so we don't have everything set up and mounted yet, but wow... I'm very impressed. Can't wait for the tower speakers to come in and then I'll be set! I was messing around with the q control, cross over, port plugs, and eq last night. It's a beast of a sub and tons of fun!
Awesome! Glad you are enjoying your sub. It looks like you went with the placement in the front left, is that right?

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #8193 of 8638 Old 11-16-2018, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Received my VTF-15H couple weeks ago. I’m blown away (was literally), haven’t ever had a HT setup so it’s so good to have it complete the system. Thank you to the HSU team, and Kevin for input and advice needed for my setup. I wouldn’t have it any other way. The amount of air it moves when it hits those lows is crazy, mind you I have a 27’ long by 18’ wide room with 11’ ceilings and a large opening to a kitchen. I’ve never experienced air movement like this before, or LFE sound for that matter. Money well spent on an awesome product. Still have yet to run room correction and dial it in, but I have played with Q settings etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom C, GTZ, djdel002 and 2 others like this.

Sony XBR75X900F - Denon X3400H - 5.1.2 w/ RBH Visage VM-616 LCR In-walls - SVS Prime Satellite Surround - RBH VM-615 In-ceiling/Atmos - Sub: HSU FTV-15H Mk2 - RTI T3X Remote - ATV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8194 of 8638 Old 11-17-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
Ok guys! I’ve had my VTF-3 MK5 for a year and a half now and it still looks and sounds like new. I haven’t watched many movies lately but listen to music often. I never go over -10db (usually listen around -18db) on my Denon AVR so I don’t listen at crazy volume levels and I don’t even push the sub that hard. So far, so good! I still love it and it has to be best sub you can buy for the money under $900-$1,000. This is the sub paired with my Def Tech BP8080 towers. For those who don’t know, they each have a built-in 12” sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd G. View Post
Mine still does really good in the main floor living room and it's about a year older than yours--solid sub!

My VTF3 mk3 has been going strong 8+yrs, worth every penny!

Falconsfan71 and B3ntwooki3 like this.

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #8195 of 8638 Old 11-20-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdvp View Post
Received my VTF-15H couple weeks ago. I’m blown away (was literally), haven’t ever had a HT setup so it’s so good to have it complete the system. Thank you to the HSU team, and Kevin for input and advice needed for my setup. I wouldn’t have it any other way. The amount of air it moves when it hits those lows is crazy, mind you I have a 27’ long by 18’ wide room with 11’ ceilings and a large opening to a kitchen. I’ve never experienced air movement like this before, or LFE sound for that matter. Money well spent on an awesome product. Still have yet to run room correction and dial it in, but I have played with Q settings etc.

You're very welcome. Happy to hear that you are enjoying your VTF-15H MK2. Did you place it in the back?

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8196 of 8638 Old 11-20-2018, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
VTF2-MK5 or VTF3-MK5

Hello,
I am getting my basement done with a 14'5"wX22'lx8'h room for a home theater. Seating distance would be 15' from screen.
Would a VTF2-MK5 cut it for this room or do I have to go for VTF3-MK5?
I'm debating between HSU or SVS - primarily due to amount of shipping I have to pay in case of any issues.
post #8197 of 8638 Old 11-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by svaranasi View Post
Hello,
I am getting my basement done with a 14'5"wX22'lx8'h room for a home theater. Seating distance would be 15' from screen.
I'm debating between HSU or SVS - primarily due to amount of shipping I have to pay in case of any issues.
The VTF3 for sure.
galonzo and B3ntwooki3 like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #8198 of 8638 Old 11-20-2018, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
You're very welcome. Happy to hear that you are enjoying your VTF-15H MK2. Did you place it in the back?

Yeah it’s on one side of the seating area in a rectangular (27’x17’) room with offset MLP/TV. I have been trying couple different spots to try and get the best output but haven’t settled on it 100%

HsuKevin likes this.

Sony XBR75X900F - Denon X3400H - 5.1.2 w/ RBH Visage VM-616 LCR In-walls - SVS Prime Satellite Surround - RBH VM-615 In-ceiling/Atmos - Sub: HSU FTV-15H Mk2 - RTI T3X Remote - ATV 4K
post #8199 of 8638 Old 11-22-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Hello,
Does that room open up to other areas or is it completely dedicated? What type of levels do you generally like to listen to? If you’re seated 15 ft back, you may also want to consider placing the sub in the back corner instead of up front.
galonzo and iceatola like this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8200 of 8638 Old 11-22-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Does that room open up to other areas or is it completely dedicated? What type of levels do you generally like to listen to? If you’re seated 15 ft back, you may also want to consider placing the sub in the back corner instead of up front.
Yes, it is a L-Shaped room. Please see attached image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	basement.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	2486240  
post #8201 of 8638 Old 11-23-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is a L-Shaped room. Please see attached image.
Thanks! Yea I definitely would recommend the VTF-3 Mk5 HP for that room if you could. You may possibly want to consider two depending on your listening preferences. That's a pretty large opening to the right so the sub will need to pressurize that area as well. In terms of placement, for a single sub, you probably want to keep on the left side either the front corner or back. You'll probably get a better mid-bass punch and detail if you place the sub in the back left corner.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8202 of 8638 Old 11-23-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Yea I definitely would recommend the VTF-3 Mk5 HP for that room if you could. You may possibly want to consider two depending on your listening preferences. That's a pretty large opening to the right so the sub will need to pressurize that area as well. In terms of placement, for a single sub, you probably want to keep on the left side either the front corner or back. You'll probably get a better mid-bass punch and detail if you place the sub in the back left corner.
Thanks Kevin. I have already ordered VTF-3 Mk5. Can't afford two at this time . Regarding placement, yes I was planning to place it almost near the sump (back left) or (front right). But will take your suggestion regarding front left and try it out. I am planning to put some 'Roxul Safe 'n Sound' in the framing behind screen. Not sure if that would change any placement.
post #8203 of 8638 Old 11-25-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks Kevin. I have already ordered VTF-3 Mk5. Can't afford two at this time . Regarding placement, yes I was planning to place it almost near the sump (back left) or (front right). But will take your suggestion regarding front left and try it out. I am planning to put some 'Roxul Safe 'n Sound' in the framing behind screen. Not sure if that would change any placement.
Yea I would try the back left first, then front left. The Safe 'n' Sound probably won't change too much in terms of placement.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8204 of 8638 Old 11-26-2018, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Hi All,

Could use some feedback on how to address some of these dips. Not too worried about the hump at 40hz because I think I can get rid of that by changing the port tuning/EQ mode. I am currently just trying to address the dip between 65-75hz and 85-100hz.

Here are my current settings.

2 ports open
EQ2
Q.5
100 hz crossover on the AVR.
AVR is an older NAD T763 so no auto calibration tools available to me
Mains are currently Monitor Audio Radius 90s (will be upgrading shortly)

Green line is MLP. Blue line is 24 inches to the right of the MLP towards the corner of the room.
Do you all think that this is something I can remedy using sub/AVR settings or just a deficiency is the mains or even room acoustics?

Something interesting I noted was that as I increased/decreased LFE level that the dips would parallel the LFE level. I figured if this was primarily due to a deficiency in the mains that it would not change as I changed LFE level.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you are able to offer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rew (1).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	2487688  
post #8205 of 8638 Old 11-26-2018, 06:37 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3ntwooki3 View Post
Hi All,

Could use some feedback on how to address some of these dips. Not too worried about the hump at 40hz because I think I can get rid of that by changing the port tuning/EQ mode. I am currently just trying to address the dip between 65-75hz and 85-100hz.

Here are my current settings.

2 ports open
EQ2
Q.5
100 hz crossover on the AVR.
AVR is an older NAD T763 so no auto calibration tools available to me
Mains are currently Monitor Audio Radius 90s (will be upgrading shortly)

Green line is MLP. Blue line is 24 inches to the right of the MLP towards the corner of the room.
Do you all think that this is something I can remedy using sub/AVR settings or just a deficiency is the mains or even room acoustics?

Something interesting I noted was that as I increased/decreased LFE level that the dips would parallel the LFE level. I figured if this was primarily due to a deficiency in the mains that it would not change as I changed LFE level.
The dip at 95Hz may well be a phase issue at the crossover point seeing as how that doesn't change in severity no matter where you position the mic. The difference in the 70Hz range is likely a room mode as moving the mic 2 feet makes a significant difference. That suggests relocating the subwoofer might help there.
galonzo and B3ntwooki3 like this.

post #8206 of 8638 Old 11-26-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
The dip at 95Hz may well be a phase issue at the crossover point seeing as how that doesn't change in severity no matter where you position the mic. The difference in the 70Hz range is likely a room mode as moving the mic 2 feet makes a significant difference. That suggests relocating the subwoofer might help there.
Thanks for the feedback, Jim.

What would be the best way to deal with a phase issue? My only adjustment is either change the crossover frequency or change the phase of the sub 180 degrees. Unfortunately the AVR provides no ability to modify the slope.

BTW i think you are right. It is some type of phase issue as when I flipped the phase on the sub 180 degrees the dip went away but turned the rest of the graph into a mess. (worse mess than it already is)

Thanks!
post #8207 of 8638 Old 11-27-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I just wanted to post that the VTF-15 MKII that I purchased I guess a year and a half ago or so has been one of the best purchases I ever made. I was using prior a Martin Logan Descent i that got fubared by the movers and was somewhat reticent to not use a fully sealed enclosure as I use ML electrostats for all channels, but this thing rules.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #8208 of 8638 Old 11-27-2018, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post
I just wanted to post that the VTF-15 MKII that I purchased I guess a year and a half ago or so has been one of the best purchases I ever made. I was using prior a Martin Logan Descent i that got fubared by the movers and was somewhat reticent to not use a fully sealed enclosure as I use ML electrostats for all channels, but this thing rules.
I feel the same way about my VTF-15H MKI that I got 6 years ago. No regrets other than I wish that I could have had gotten two of them.
galonzo, emiller1181 and HsuKevin like this.

LG OLED55B6P (Calibrated by AVICAL)
Denon AVR-X4200W ** oppo UDP-203 **oppo BDP-103D
HR44 DirecTV ** Panamax 5300 ** Harmony One Universal Remote
Hsu HB-1 MK2 (L, R & S) ** Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) ** Hsu VTF-15H (sub)
Crowson Technology Level 2 Motion System
MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System ** AIRCOM T8 Receiver Cooling Blower
post #8209 of 8638 Old 11-27-2018, 03:47 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, Jim.

What would be the best way to deal with a phase issue? My only adjustment is either change the crossover frequency or change the phase of the sub 180 degrees. Unfortunately the AVR provides no ability to modify the slope.

BTW i think you are right. It is some type of phase issue as when I flipped the phase on the sub 180 degrees the dip went away but turned the rest of the graph into a mess. (worse mess than it already is)
Try adjusting the subwoofer distance setting in the AVR. You can sometimes mitigate a phase issue by changing the time alignment. Experiment with increments of several feet at a time; generally speaking small adjustments will make little difference.
galonzo and HsuKevin like this.

post #8210 of 8638 Old 11-27-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I feel the same way about my VTF-15H MKI that I got 6 years ago. No regrets other than I wish that I could have had gotten two of them.
No doubt. I too have contemplated it and for 5 years used the Descent i in tandem with a ML Depth i, but after messing around with REW I fear it might be gluttony...
Mighty fine system you have, sir.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #8211 of 8638 Old 11-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post
No doubt. I too have contemplated it and for 5 years used the Descent i in tandem with a ML Depth i, but after messing around with REW I fear it might be gluttony...
Mighty fine system you have, sir.
Thank you.

LG OLED55B6P (Calibrated by AVICAL)
Denon AVR-X4200W ** oppo UDP-203 **oppo BDP-103D
HR44 DirecTV ** Panamax 5300 ** Harmony One Universal Remote
Hsu HB-1 MK2 (L, R & S) ** Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) ** Hsu VTF-15H (sub)
Crowson Technology Level 2 Motion System
MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System ** AIRCOM T8 Receiver Cooling Blower
post #8212 of 8638 Old 11-27-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Try adjusting the subwoofer distance setting in the AVR. You can sometimes mitigate a phase issue by changing the time alignment. Experiment with increments of several feet at a time; generally speaking small adjustments will make little difference.
Thanks again, Jim. I will try again this weekend as free time is a bit thin right now. I appreciate the pointers.

~BW
post #8213 of 8638 Old 11-28-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks again, Jim. I will try again this weekend as free time is a bit thin right now. I appreciate the pointers.

~BW
Agreed with Jim, I believe you can play a 92 Hz test tone from REW and try adjusting the distance on the receiver while measuring SPL from REW. Whichever distance setting gives you the highest SPL, try running the freq response with that setting.
galonzo, JimWilson and B3ntwooki3 like this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8214 of 8638 Old 12-01-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Agreed with Jim, I believe you can play a 92 Hz test tone from REW and try adjusting the distance on the receiver while measuring SPL from REW. Whichever distance setting gives you the highest SPL, try running the freq response with that setting.
I tried again last night after calibrating my sound card. This time it was showing a significant dip between 70-80 hz ~10db. I don't actually have a distance setting for subwoofer in my ancient AVR but what I did instead was play with various settings for the distance of my mains. I adjusted between 1 FT and 40 FT and took measurements of multiple distances in between without any significant change.

I then set my AVR xover to different settings from 40 hz - 200 hz. The dip was still showing.
I then set AVR xover to 200hz and turned on the xover on the sub and set it to 90hz. Dip improved by about 3-4 DB.

Lastly I downloaded a SPL meter app on my smartphone. Measured SPL using a tone generator from 5-100hz in 5 hz increments and found that in room frequency response was pretty good with a +/- of 3-4 db.

After going through a couple dozen configurations I finally arrived back to my final settings which is exactly what I had before I started using REW.

Lessons learned:

I think the mic which I was using (cheap amazon basics boom mic which I stole from my kid) was the source of the dip as I did not have a calibration file for the mic. I would go order one of the actual recommended mics for calibration but the truth is that I just don't care enough to do so. I don't feel as if I am missing anything and the sub sounds great to my ear and I don't need/want any SPL meters or calibration tools to validate this.

Regardless I appreciate the help and the tips. I will just go back to enjoying my sound system using the old fashioned method. Trusting what my ears tell me
iceatola likes this.
post #8215 of 8638 Old 12-03-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

Lastly I downloaded a SPL meter app on my smartphone. Measured SPL using a tone generator from 5-100hz in 5 hz increments and found that in room frequency response was pretty good with a +/- of 3-4 db.
So, do you really think your smartphone's microphone and an app is a good choice to use for calibration? I would say you probably are better off using your own ears....
post #8216 of 8638 Old 12-03-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
So, do you really think your smartphone's microphone and an app is a good choice to use for calibration? I would say you probably are better off using your own ears....
Of course not and i would not recommend this for anyone remotely serious about calibrating their system. I just wanted to get data points from more than 1 device which I already had on hand, in this case, my smartphone.

I am completely happy with the way things sound and the calibrations performed by ear.
post #8217 of 8638 Old 12-04-2018, 10:43 AM

Certainly REW is a great tool to have, especially with a calibrated mic like the UMM-6 or UMIK-1 from CSL. Ultimately, it's whatever sounds best to you.
sdrucker, galonzo and iceatola like this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8218 of 8638 Old 12-05-2018, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Just wanted to give everyone a update on my system. I received my second pair of vtf 3 mk5 subs a couple of weeks ago. One of the subs amplifiers was DOA. So that made two failed amps on the four subs I have ordered from HSU I emailed them that friday night after 10 pm not expecting to hear back until monday but they emailed me back that night. They sent me a replacement amp the following tuesday. Excellent customer service and this is the reason I will continue to use and recommend their products. Still dialing them in with placement and rew. I also just got the mini dsp connected to time align all four subs as well. Big shout out to @ereed for helping me get everything dialed in. I ran all four nearfield directly behind my listening position until i got rew up and running and it was drop jaw amazing The light fixture in the hall fell and shattered glass everywhere listening to some bass mekanik. I love these subs and the ability to tune them depending on if you are listening to movies or music. They are just great subs. I also ordered new JBL 590 tower for the fronts and surrounds which sound amazing compared to my klipsch synergy towers. Once I get everything dialed in with rew and minidsp I will update.
Tom C, galonzo, ereed and 1 others like this.
post #8219 of 8638 Old 12-15-2018, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hsu subwoofers

I just purchased an HSU HO 1220 subwoofer for $60. Can anyone recommend a good amp for music only that a teacher working/using with autistic kids can afford. I will be inputing from a pc. Also looking to replace my main speakers. Currently have Pioneer bookshelves - "Andrew Jones". Thans to all.
post #8220 of 8638 Old 12-16-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Benthall View Post
I just purchased an HSU HO 1220 subwoofer for $60. Can anyone recommend a good amp for music only that a teacher working/using with autistic kids can afford. I will be inputing from a pc. Also looking to replace my main speakers. Currently have Pioneer bookshelves - "Andrew Jones". Thans to all.
Are you looking for a new amp for the 1220 HO or your speakers?

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page