***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 277 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1892Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8281 of 9453 Old 01-31-2019, 11:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Invader3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Sometime, it is worth to just swallow the Blue Pill. And get what you want now


Ray
Thanks. I'm really not in a major hurry, though.
darthray likes this.
Invader3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8282 of 9453 Old 01-31-2019, 04:24 PM
Senior Member
 
HsuKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Not sure if I have already made this announcement already, but I have received a few inquiries recently, and we will be attending AXPONA this year. More details to come.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
HsuKevin is offline  
post #8283 of 9453 Old 01-31-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 7,419
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked: 4400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader3 View Post
Thanks. I'm really not in a major hurry, though.

Best way to shop
All the best in your quest.


Ray
darthray is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8284 of 9453 Old 01-31-2019, 06:57 PM
Member
 
Calypte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Anza, CA
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Not sure if I have already made this announcement already, but I have received a few inquiries recently, and we will be attending AXPONA this year. More details to come.
What about T.H.E. Show in Long Beach, CA, June 7-9, 2019?
HsuKevin likes this.
Calypte is offline  
post #8285 of 9453 Old 02-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
HsuKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypte View Post
What about T.H.E. Show in Long Beach, CA, June 7-9, 2019?
We are considering it. I don't think we will be able to go this year, though. It's a tricky thing because some hotels isolate bass very well. We found this to be the case at AXPONA. Other places, we've heard the sub from several rooms down, so it makes it a bit difficult to exhibit there. I will likely be at THE Show visiting various rooms, etc.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
HsuKevin is offline  
post #8286 of 9453 Old 02-06-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 2,826
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Not sure if I have already made this announcement already, but I have received a few inquiries recently, and we will be attending AXPONA this year. More details to come.
Bringing anything new with you, Kevin?

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
mlknez is online now  
post #8287 of 9453 Old 02-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
HsuKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
Bringing anything new with you, Kevin?
If we were, I couldn't comment on that bud.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
HsuKevin is offline  
post #8288 of 9453 Old 02-08-2019, 07:20 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Still toying with the settings on the back of my subs. Not sure what would be best, or if I should plug a port?


2 HSU VTF-15H MK2 in my 800 square foot basement.


Suggestions? Im not as well versed as dialing in dual subs as I thought I was.
DreamCrusher is offline  
post #8289 of 9453 Old 02-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Figured I would post this here, too since there's an official Hsu rep that may be able to help :

I just hooked up my VTF-3 MK5 to my Denon 6400 for the first time. I ran audyssey and everything seemed to go fine. The receiver was able to send test signals to the sub with no problem.

However, the sub fails to play anything with the enclosed Hsu test CD including bass heavy tracks.

I went back and manually set all speakers to "small" and expiramented with different crossover settings but nothing seemed to work.

Any ideas why the sub may not be firing?
matpal is offline  
post #8290 of 9453 Old 02-09-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by matpal View Post
Figured I would post this here, too since there's an official Hsu rep that may be able to help :

I just hooked up my VTF-3 MK5 to my Denon 6400 for the first time. I ran audyssey and everything seemed to go fine. The receiver was able to send test signals to the sub with no problem.

However, the sub fails to play anything with the enclosed Hsu test CD including bass heavy tracks.

I went back and manually set all speakers to "small" and expiramented with different crossover settings but nothing seemed to work.

Any ideas why the sub may not be firing?


I’d try turning everything off and then on again after 20s or so. It’s likely something in the denon, I’ve had a x4000 for a while and it can act squirrelly sometimes


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
ambesolman is offline  
post #8291 of 9453 Old 02-09-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCrusher View Post
Still toying with the settings on the back of my subs. Not sure what would be best, or if I should plug a port?


2 HSU VTF-15H MK2 in my 800 square foot basement.


Suggestions? Im not as well versed as dialing in dual subs as I thought I was.


Do it. I’ve always preferred the one port max extension mode for my vtf3 mk3. Digs deeper and is more visceral down low. The versatility of the vtf series is one of the best features.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Calypte likes this.

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
ambesolman is offline  
post #8292 of 9453 Old 02-09-2019, 03:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Newbie Question

Difference between the HSU mk 2 and later models. Like the VTF3 mk2 vs th3 VTF3 mk 5

I did some searching and will do more

thanks
donindc is offline  
post #8293 of 9453 Old 02-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
HsuKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCrusher View Post
Still toying with the settings on the back of my subs. Not sure what would be best, or if I should plug a port?


2 HSU VTF-15H MK2 in my 800 square foot basement.


Suggestions? Im not as well versed as dialing in dual subs as I thought I was.
It really has more to do with your room acoustics and personal preference. That is a fairly large room, so I would gather that one port open would probably suit you well. If you do find that you like playing at higher output levels, and you're looking for better dynamic range, you can try 2 ports open/EQ2 mode. Do you have a diagram of your room layout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matpal View Post
Figured I would post this here, too since there's an official Hsu rep that may be able to help :

I just hooked up my VTF-3 MK5 to my Denon 6400 for the first time. I ran audyssey and everything seemed to go fine. The receiver was able to send test signals to the sub with no problem.

However, the sub fails to play anything with the enclosed Hsu test CD including bass heavy tracks.

I went back and manually set all speakers to "small" and expiramented with different crossover settings but nothing seemed to work.

Any ideas why the sub may not be firing?
Interesting. Check and see if your receiver is in direct mode. If your receiver is in that mode, it will set your speakers to large and disable the sub for CD playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donindc View Post
Difference between the HSU mk 2 and later models. Like the VTF3 mk2 vs th3 VTF3 mk 5

I did some searching and will do more

thanks
The VTF-3 Mk2 is basically like our VTF-2 Mk5. Similar size enclosure, dual 3" ports, 350w RMS amp, 12" driver. The VTF-3 Mk3, is a larger enclosure (similar volume to the VTF-3 Mk5 HP), and has dual 4" ports and a 12" side firing driver. In terms of performance, it's fairly similar to the VTF-3 Mk2, but more efficiency in the ultra deep bass. So it would be able to play louder and cleaner below 20 Hz. The VTF-3 Mk5 HP has a similar enclosure to the VTF-3 Mk3, but it has a 15" driver and a 600w amp. So it would be able to play significantly louder and cleaner across the board. Almost like having two of the VTF-3 Mk2's put together.
galonzo and donindc like this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
HsuKevin is offline  
post #8294 of 9453 Old 02-13-2019, 06:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Saint John, IN
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After about 10 days of nagging my wife, I finally ordered my VTF 3 MK5 this morning. I am beyond excited and can't wait to get it. I'm stepping up from Dayton 1200 so this should be a pretty big change. I can't wait for this big boy to show up!
Tom C, galonzo, djdel002 and 1 others like this.

Denon 1400h - Emotiva C2 center - 2x S55's LR - 2x S15's Surround - HSU VTF-3 MK5 Bass
sopel10 is offline  
post #8295 of 9453 Old 02-13-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raistline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MidWest
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopel10 View Post
After about 10 days of nagging my wife, I finally ordered my VTF 3 MK5 this morning. I am beyond excited and can't wait to get it. I'm stepping up from Dayton 1200 so this should be a pretty big change. I can't wait for this big boy to show up!
Wow, that will be a tremendous improvement over the Dayton. You will suddenly want to re-watch every single movie you own that even has a modicum of bass. Congrats on the purchase, and my condolences to your wallet.

Quick top 5 movies you must watch with the new sub.
1: Tron Legacy
2: Mad Max (new version)
3: Cloverfield
4: How to Train Your Dragon
5: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
Tom C and galonzo like this.
raistline is offline  
post #8296 of 9453 Old 02-13-2019, 07:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Saint John, IN
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
Wow, that will be a tremendous improvement over the Dayton. You will suddenly want to re-watch every single movie you own that even has a modicum of bass. Congrats on the purchase, and my condolences to your wallet.

Quick top 5 movies you must watch with the new sub.
1: Tron Legacy
2: Mad Max (new version)
3: Cloverfield
4: How to Train Your Dragon
5: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
I'm very new to the "sound" world. I just put my setup together in early December so I felt like I needed to re-watch movies even then. I will definitely give a few of those a try, Thank you!
sopel10 is offline  
post #8297 of 9453 Old 02-14-2019, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
modenacart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by matpal View Post
Figured I would post this here, too since there's an official Hsu rep that may be able to help :

I just hooked up my VTF-3 MK5 to my Denon 6400 for the first time. I ran audyssey and everything seemed to go fine. The receiver was able to send test signals to the sub with no problem.

However, the sub fails to play anything with the enclosed Hsu test CD including bass heavy tracks.

I went back and manually set all speakers to "small" and expiramented with different crossover settings but nothing seemed to work.

Any ideas why the sub may not be firing?


When I had that problem it was the AVR not sending a high enough voltage signal to wake the sub up. I switched the power switch on the sub from auto to on and that corrected it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
modenacart is offline  
post #8298 of 9453 Old 02-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
HsuKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by modenacart View Post
When I had that problem it was the AVR not sending a high enough voltage signal to wake the sub up. I switched the power switch on the sub from auto to on and that corrected it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's certainly possible. I would check the LED on the back of the sub. If it turns from red to green when a signal is sent to it, then the sub is triggering.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
HsuKevin is offline  
post #8299 of 9453 Old 02-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
PG55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Pebble Beach Ca
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Soon to be New ULS MK15 owner

Greetings,

I currently have a one Monolith 10 in my 4000^3 room with WAF preventing me from going with 2 and also have size restrictions. After exhaustive research and Kevin from HSU,s magnanimous help I have decided on a ULS MK15. The Monolith is an outstanding sub but just not enough to fill my room with the depth and punch I enjoy with my home theatre. So I am going to go with 1 ULS 15. I will check back in after it arrives next week.

Thanks

PG55

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofers-Paradigm Reference Millenia (2)
PG55 is offline  
post #8300 of 9453 Old 02-17-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 4,475
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 2162
I haven’t posted here in a bit. Life kinda got in the way lol! But I am moving to a new to me home and the living room is an open concept/bigger room than what I am in now. I have 3 HSUs 2 ULSs and one VTF15hmk2 and I am curious what the sound is going to perform? Anyhow I recently watched Bohemian Rhapsody and I will say this disk begs to get played loud! The subs really perform at the last act of the movie and this is my new demo disk!

Oh and my new home is spaced farther so I think my neighbors would appreciate it that lol!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom C, galonzo and HsuKevin like this.
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #8301 of 9453 Old 02-20-2019, 06:06 AM
Administrator
Administrator
 
Mike Lang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 17,894
Mentioned: 466 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
I have a pair of VTF-15H subs set to auto to come on w/ the receiver but they are not really needed when watching "daytime TV" news/talkshow stuff.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a smart plug to each sub so that I can keep them off until needed or even just have one at a time to reduce the mileage on them.

I've been using this one to power on my ButtKicker BKA1000 amp for years.

Are there any drawbacks to using a smart plug on these subs?

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
Mike Lang is offline  
post #8302 of 9453 Old 02-20-2019, 07:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Saint John, IN
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My brand new VTF-3 MK5 showed up yesterday. After very quick setup and a little bit of music, my first movie was Bohemian Rhapsody.

Oh, My, God...not only the movie was great, but my chest vibrating when they played "live" music was just amazing. What a huge step up from my little dinky Dayton 1200.

This thing is huge, I knew it was going to be big, but it really surprised me.

I can't wait to play with it more and watch more movies tonight!

Edit: As a side note - I would have never guessed that PS4 doesn't support CD's....so couldn't use the demo that came with the sub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5120.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	934.2 KB
ID:	2528488  

Denon 1400h - Emotiva C2 center - 2x S55's LR - 2x S15's Surround - HSU VTF-3 MK5 Bass
sopel10 is offline  
post #8303 of 9453 Old 02-20-2019, 08:59 AM
Writer & Reviewer
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 8,619
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2500 Post(s)
Liked: 4003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
I have a pair of VTF-15H subs set to auto to come on w/ the receiver but they are not really needed when watching "daytime TV" news/talkshow stuff.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a smart plug to each sub so that I can keep them off until needed or even just have one at a time to reduce the mileage on them.

I've been using this one to power on my ButtKicker BKA1000 amp for years.

Are there any drawbacks to using a smart plug on these subs?
There shouldn't be an issue as it's mostly a pass-through device. I don't know if the wi-fi antenna will introduce any noise to the A/C line that the HSU amp might pick up, but that would only be interference and not a danger to the amp itself. Kevin will likely reply, but I can't see anything about those devices that could cause a problem.
Mike Lang likes this.

 
If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite.

BTW, did you really need to quote the entire post?
JimWilson is offline  
post #8304 of 9453 Old 02-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by donindc View Post
Difference between the HSU mk 2 and later models. Like the VTF3 mk2 vs th3 VTF3 mk 5

I did some searching and will do more

thanks
Audioholics has a summary of the improvements of the newer vtf-2 mk-5 over the previous model for what it is worth.
donindc is offline  
post #8305 of 9453 Old 02-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 1
UPGRADE OPTIONS - any recommendations?

Room is about 10x20x8’ bricks inside drywall, four bass traps, carpet
I have a HSU stf-1 with blown out circuits (capacitors?), and a working STF-2

Option 1 – get stf-1 fixed (for $125 approx)
Option 2 – buy a used STF-2 ($280 shipped)
Option 3 – get a new VTF-1 mk-3 ($450? or so shipped)
Option 4 – new VTF-2 mk-5 ($600? Shipped)

Stf-1 – will add nothing to the sound – probably would make it sound worse
Stf-2 - will make double stf-2s but both would be 4 years old or older – bound to die at some point and not as good sounding as newer VTFs. But would save $150 or so
VTF-1 – almost matches the STF-2 and will add deeper bass. Could then upgrade to second VTF-1 in future
VTF-2 – full bass coverage, wouldn’t blend well with stf-2 but if doubled eventually would sound the best. Might be too large for the room, although I could put it next to couch and might work well as an end table.

Leaning toward the VTF-1 since budget is important also. Could stretch for a VTF-2 but would probably wait longer to save up money

Last edited by donindc; 02-20-2019 at 12:29 PM.
donindc is offline  
post #8306 of 9453 Old 02-20-2019, 01:53 PM
Member
 
don851's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Congrats! I actually just received mine last night as well. Time to rewatch some select movies.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sopel10 View Post
My brand new VTF-3 MK5 showed up yesterday. After very quick setup and a little bit of music, my first movie was Bohemian Rhapsody.

Oh, My, God...not only the movie was great, but my chest vibrating when they played "live" music was just amazing. What a huge step up from my little dinky Dayton 1200.

This thing is huge, I knew it was going to be big, but it really surprised me.

I can't wait to play with it more and watch more movies tonight!

Edit: As a side note - I would have never guessed that PS4 doesn't support CD's....so couldn't use the demo that came with the sub.
galonzo, HsuKevin and sopel10 like this.

don851 is offline  
post #8307 of 9453 Old 02-20-2019, 04:50 PM
Senior Member
 
HsuKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG55 View Post
Greetings,

I currently have a one Monolith 10 in my 4000^3 room with WAF preventing me from going with 2 and also have size restrictions. After exhaustive research and Kevin from HSU,s magnanimous help I have decided on a ULS MK15. The Monolith is an outstanding sub but just not enough to fill my room with the depth and punch I enjoy with my home theatre. So I am going to go with 1 ULS 15. I will check back in after it arrives next week.

Thanks

PG55
Thank you so much! It was my pleasure. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
I have a pair of VTF-15H subs set to auto to come on w/ the receiver but they are not really needed when watching "daytime TV" news/talkshow stuff.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a smart plug to each sub so that I can keep them off until needed or even just have one at a time to reduce the mileage on them.

I've been using this one to power on my ButtKicker BKA1000 amp for years.

Are there any drawbacks to using a smart plug on these subs?
Don't think there should be any problems, but I would forego using the smart plugs. Whether you turn off the power to the unit or leave it in auto, it likely won't change the lifespan of the sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopel10 View Post
My brand new VTF-3 MK5 showed up yesterday. After very quick setup and a little bit of music, my first movie was Bohemian Rhapsody.

Oh, My, God...not only the movie was great, but my chest vibrating when they played "live" music was just amazing. What a huge step up from my little dinky Dayton 1200.

This thing is huge, I knew it was going to be big, but it really surprised me.

I can't wait to play with it more and watch more movies tonight!

Edit: As a side note - I would have never guessed that PS4 doesn't support CD's....so couldn't use the demo that came with the sub.
I think I recall some consoles not being able to play it. You can try ripping the CD and see if you can play the files via USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donindc View Post
UPGRADE OPTIONS - any recommendations?

Room is about 10x20x8’ bricks inside drywall, four bass traps, carpet
I have a HSU stf-1 with blown out circuits (capacitors?), and a working STF-2

Option 1 – get stf-1 fixed (for $125 approx)
Option 2 – buy a used STF-2 ($280 shipped)
Option 3 – get a new VTF-1 mk-3 ($450? or so shipped)
Option 4 – new VTF-2 mk-5 ($600? Shipped)

Stf-1 – will add nothing to the sound – probably would make it sound worse
Stf-2 - will make double stf-2s but both would be 4 years old or older – bound to die at some point and not as good sounding as newer VTFs. But would save $150 or so
VTF-1 – almost matches the STF-2 and will add deeper bass. Could then upgrade to second VTF-1 in future
VTF-2 – full bass coverage, wouldn’t blend well with stf-2 but if doubled eventually would sound the best. Might be too large for the room, although I could put it next to couch and might work well as an end table.

Leaning toward the VTF-1 since budget is important also. Could stretch for a VTF-2 but would probably wait longer to save up money
Good question. How do you feel with the single STF-2 so far? What are your settings on it? 10x20 is not terribly large, so if you get a second VTF-1 or STF-2, that may be OK.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
HsuKevin is offline  
post #8308 of 9453 Old 02-20-2019, 07:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 1
"Good question. How do you feel with the single STF-2 so far?"
Pretty good. I should try different locations but pretty much need to leave it near the right speaker. I suppose that is the key question - do I like the stf-2 so far. I don't have anything but the stf-1 to compare it to.

"What are your settings on it?"
See pic -just kind of twisted till it sounded good without reading up on it.

"10x20 is not terribly large, so if you get a second VTF-1 or STF-2, that may be OK."


------

Is it really true that different subs won't sound good together if not pretty close? Would a stf-2 paired with a vtf-2 sound like an stf-2 or worse? - update - many threads about this - if the woofers are two different it makes it hard to set up, maybe not workable to sound good at all. Close to the same or same is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0220192248~2_1550721477864.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1,006.3 KB
ID:	2528912  

Last edited by donindc; 02-22-2019 at 12:15 PM.
donindc is offline  
post #8309 of 9453 Old 02-21-2019, 12:35 PM
Member
 
vlayton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any demand for old Hsu TN1220 tube sub?

I have an old HSU TN1220 cylinder sub that I'd like to get out of the house. Any demand for these anymore? Never liked the sound from the Hsu but that may be because I bought some used amp from them. Bass was not tight and speaker tender to "blart", a made-up term to describe the speaker rumblings. Not seeing recent sales so no idea if there is still a market for these.

Last edited by vlayton; 02-21-2019 at 12:47 PM.
vlayton is offline  
post #8310 of 9453 Old 02-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 1
loose subwoofer cord jack - is this easy to fix? if cord gets touched it stops working, if I wiggle it a little it starts again. It is the LFE jack on the back of the STF-2

Ascend S1 mains with Hsu STF-2, HSU VTF-1 Mk 3 and old HK receiver
donindc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off