***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 284 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1324Likes

post #8491 of 8595 Old 05-15-2019, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have one HSU STF-2 sub. I am redoing my home theater system and I now have a pair of Paradigm 85F speakers and Paradigm Surround3 surround speakers. I will be getting a Paradigm 55C center speaker.
My receiver is an Anthem 1120.
I am wondering if my STF-2 is good enough for the rest of my system. My listening room is 16X12 but it is part of a larger space that opens into our kitchen.
I would appreciate any comments on whether I need or should upgrade my sub. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8492 of 8595 Old 05-15-2019, 06:41 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked: 3207
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
I have one HSU STF-2 sub. I am redoing my home theater system and I now have a pair of Paradigm 85F speakers and Paradigm Surround3 surround speakers. I will be getting a Paradigm 55C center speaker.
My receiver is an Anthem 1120.
I am wondering if my STF-2 is good enough for the rest of my system. My listening room is 16X12 but it is part of a larger space that opens into our kitchen.
I would appreciate any comments on whether I need or should upgrade my sub. Thanks
To be perfectly honest, you're the only one who can decide if the sub needs to be upgraded. It all depends upon what your ears tell you and what your wallet can bear. With that being said... since you seem to be doing a lot of upgrades it might not be a bad idea to include the subwoofer as well. The VTF-3 MK5 would probably be a nice compliment to those speakers
bokap and HsuKevin like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #8493 of 8595 Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
To be perfectly honest, you're the only one who can decide if the sub needs to be upgraded. It all depends upon what your ears tell you and what your wallet can bear. With that being said... since you seem to be doing a lot of upgrades it might not be a bad idea to include the subwoofer as well. The VTF-3 MK5 would probably be a nice compliment to those speakers
I will check it out. I don't know anything about it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8494 of 8595 Old 05-16-2019, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
I will check it out. I don't know anything about it. Thanks
I think I replied to you this morning, but I agree with Jim. Since you have the STF-2, you might as well try it within the system and see what you think. You can always shoot me an email or give me a call if you have any questions on setup, etc.
galonzo and bokap like this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #8495 of 8595 Old 05-16-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
I think I replied to you this morning, but I agree with Jim. Since you have the STF-2, you might as well try it within the system and see what you think. You can always shoot me an email or give me a call if you have any questions on setup, etc.
Thanks Kevin, I received email this morning
post #8496 of 8595 Old 05-17-2019, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I just ordered a HSU VTF2 MK5 sub. I will be coming from a Klipsch 300W 10" sub in a dedicated home theater. Any recommendations for breaking it in? Also should I run Audyssey before messing with any of the settings on the sub, or after? Subwoofer settings are extremely confusing to me, so thank you for any advice.
post #8497 of 8595 Old 05-17-2019, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
I just ordered a HSU VTF2 MK5 sub. I will be coming from a Klipsch 300W 10" sub in a dedicated home theater. Any recommendations for breaking it in? Also should I run Audyssey before messing with any of the settings on the sub, or after? Subwoofer settings are extremely confusing to me, so thank you for any advice.

The sub will come with instructions. I believe they have a pdf on their webpage too.

-To be an audiophile you must abandon all research and science.
galonzo and Dirk504 like this.
post #8498 of 8595 Old 05-17-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2114 Post(s)
Liked: 1497
Quote:
As mentioned elsewhere, Hsu has the manual available for download as a .pdf: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

I believe that Hsu's recommended initial setting is: one port open, q = 0.7, built-in crossover switched out, phase 0. This gives the flattest response. Start with the volume control at 9 o'clock (not much above minimum); Audyssey will assist you in setting the volume within a fairly narrow band. (You run Audyssey after making the initial settings.)

I recommend using the Audyssey MultEq Editor app ($20 from the Apple App Store for iOS or the Google Play Store for Android). It's not the most reliable software I've seen, but it allows you to save Audyssey runs and makes experimentation a lot more convenient. I have taken to running it under the Blue Stacks Android emulator (freeware) on a Windows PC, where it is more reliable than on my Samsung tablet.
galonzo, HsuKevin and Dirk504 like this.
post #8499 of 8595 Old 05-17-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
bobknavs pretty much covered the settings, but if you need any clarification on certain settings, let me know. In terms of break-in the sub really doesn't require a lot of that. It should sound great out of the box and generally the changes over time a pretty minimal. 20 Hours or so of normal playback should be fine. In terms of running Audyssey before or after, you can do either. It depends on how you want to approach it. Dr. Hsu generally recommends to run Audyssey after initially setting the sub with 1 port open, EQ 1, Q.7, crossover out. Actually, we discussed the benefits of both on page 280 in this thread if you want to read over that.
galonzo and Dirk504 like this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8500 of 8595 Old 05-17-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
bobknavs pretty much covered the settings, but if you need any clarification on certain settings, let me know. In terms of break-in the sub really doesn't require a lot of that. It should sound great out of the box and generally the changes over time a pretty minimal. 20 Hours or so of normal playback should be fine. In terms of running Audyssey before or after, you can do either. It depends on how you want to approach it. Dr. Hsu generally recommends to run Audyssey after initially setting the sub with 1 port open, EQ 1, Q.7, crossover out. Actually, we discussed the benefits of both on page 280 in this thread if you want to read over that.
Oops. I forgot the EQ switch. (It's important. Some unsupported combinations might damage the amp.) Thanks for the addition.
galonzo likes this.
post #8501 of 8595 Old 05-18-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Thank you!
post #8502 of 8595 Old 05-21-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hey Everyone. Love these forums and appreciate all the great information on this thread. I currently have a Hsu VTF2 MK4 and would like to upgrade to get more output, deeper bass, and overall just feel more from my movies (i.e. machine guns through the chest, Earthquakes, etc). My main application is home theater and my room is about 2500 cu ft. (18'x13'8" with a vaulted ceiling inclining from 8' to 11', left to right from seating position). I have two openings on the right side of my room that go into the entry way or dining room. I am lucky enough to live in Los Angeles so I can drive down to Hsu Research and listen to the different subs, which I will be doing tomorrow. My dilemma is whether or not I should go with a single VTF15H MK2 or dual VTF3 MK5's. I don't have the space for 2 of the VTF15's but can just manage to get 2 of the VTF3's in there without my wife divorcing me! My home theater room also happens to be our living room. Lucky for me I have an awesome wife who supports my HT addiction, but even she has her limits. Hope I've covered all the bases. Tried to give you all the pertinent information. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

I've attached some photos of the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1743.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	2569656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1744.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	2569658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1745.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	2569660  

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________
Running 5.2.4, Yamaha RX-A 2070, Parasound A31, Polk LSiM 707 (Fronts), Polk LSiM 706 (Center), Polk OWM3 (Surround), Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subs, Epson 5030UB, Silver Ticket 110"
post #8503 of 8595 Old 05-21-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Shure View Post
Hey Everyone. Love these forums and appreciate all the great information on this thread. I currently have a Hsu VTF2 MK4 and would like to upgrade to get more output, deeper bass, and overall just feel more from my movies (i.e. machine guns through the chest, Earthquakes, etc). My main application is home theater and my room is about 2500 cu ft. (18'x13'8" with a vaulted ceiling inclining from 8' to 11', left to right from seating position). I have two openings on the right side of my room that go into the entry way or dining room. I am lucky enough to live in Los Angeles so I can drive down to Hsu Research and listen to the different subs, which I will be doing tomorrow. My dilemma is whether or not I should go with a single VTF15H MK2 or dual VTF3 MK5's. I don't have the space for 2 of the VTF15's but can just manage to get 2 of the VTF3's in there without my wife divorcing me! My home theater room also happens to be our living room. Lucky for me I have an awesome wife who supports my HT addiction, but even she has her limits. Hope I've covered all the bases. Tried to give you all the pertinent information. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

I suggest the two VTF3 Mk5s. The VTF3 uses a 15" driver, like the VTF15. It uses the same plate amp. Because of its smaller cabinet, the VTF3 doesn't go quite as low. The VTF3 is still heavy enough to be a bit of a strain for a single person to wrestle around.

I admit to a bias. I have two VTF3s, purchased when they were on sale for a total price that was less than the "dual drive" pair.

I'm not sure how many films exploit their bass capability. I replaced two VTF1s (one a Mk2, the other a Mk3) with the VTF3s. For me, it has been most noticeable in Blade Runner 2049. That has bass that the VTF1s can't handle.

Last edited by bobknavs; 05-21-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #8504 of 8595 Old 05-21-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 1977
Quote:

I'll second Bob's suggestion. Go with the 2. There isn't much difference between the VTF15 and the VTF3 and having two will allow you to position them to offer a better bass response.
galonzo likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #8505 of 8595 Old 05-21-2019, 01:55 PM

Thank you both for your input. I was leaning towards going with the dual VTF3's anyway and I think you both have helped me confirm that. I do wonder just how much more low end I would get from the VTF15 but I agree that the benefits of having dual subs will probably outweigh any lower bass I get from the single VTF15.

Looks like I'll be driving home tomorrow with dual subs. Can't wait to hear how much better they will be than my single VTF2-MK4.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________
Running 5.2.4, Yamaha RX-A 2070, Parasound A31, Polk LSiM 707 (Fronts), Polk LSiM 706 (Center), Polk OWM3 (Surround), Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subs, Epson 5030UB, Silver Ticket 110"
post #8506 of 8595 Old 05-21-2019, 02:04 PM

Do you guys have any suggestions as far as room placement for the dual subs? There are photos of my room a few posts up. I currently have my single sub in the back left corner. I realize this is going to be trial and error but was looking to see if there were suggestions on some good starting points given the size, shape, and available wall space of my particular room.

post #8507 of 8595 Old 05-21-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you guys have any suggestions as far as room placement for the dual subs? There are photos of my room a few posts up. I currently have my single sub in the back left corner. I realize this is going to be trial and error but was looking to see if there were suggestions on some good starting points given the size, shape, and available wall space of my particular room.
Trial and error is all that I can suggest. I had a limited number of places to install the VTF3s. The criterion I used was the pre-equalization dips in the Audyssey/SubEq data.

One of the subs is connected to the AVR using an Outlaw OAW4 wireless adapter. (http://outlawaudio.com/products/OAW4.html) It is supposed to add the least delay of any inexpensive adapter, but I think that I'm still getting roughly 15-20 ms. (1 ms approximately equals one foot.) I'd prefer less lag, but it is serviceable. It is very simple to use. No manual pairing process; it's automatic. It has DIP switches to allow as many as 4 wireless adapters to be used without interfering with each other. (They are actually stereo adapters, but I'm only using one channel.)

Last edited by bobknavs; 05-21-2019 at 09:25 PM.
post #8508 of 8595 Old 05-22-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post

Trial and error is all that I can suggest. I had a limited number of places to install the VTF3s. The criterion I used was the pre-equalization dips in the Audyssey/SubEq data.

One of the subs is connected to the AVR using an Outlaw OAW4 wireless adapter. (http://outlawaudio.com/products/OAW4.html) It is supposed to add the least delay of any inexpensive adapter, but I think that I'm still getting roughly 15-20 ms. (1 ms approximately equals one foot.) I'd prefer less lag, but it is serviceable. It is very simple to use. No manual pairing process; it's automatic. It has DIP switches to allow as many as 4 wireless adapters to be used without interfering with each other. (They are actually stereo adapters, but I'm only using one channel.)
Thanks for the info Bob. I wish I understood this all better but I might be able to get a friend to help me out with the EQ part.

post #8509 of 8595 Old 05-22-2019, 11:02 PM

So I went down to Hsu today and I want to thank Kevin for taking the time to listen to me and demo the subs for me and a couple friends. I always find it helpful to have a couple friends to help validate what I think I’m hearing. I walked in there fully expecting to get a pair of VTF3-MK5’s or possibly a single VTF15-MK2. First off, I want to say that both of those subs are amazing and for the price, a great bang for your buck. The problem I had is that they just weren’t giving me what I wanted. I wasn’t feeling as immersed as I had hoped. I realize that there are a lot of variable in play here; their room vs mine, placement of their subs, etc. Then after some testing, Kevin suggested trying something different and playing a single ULS15 and then dual ULS15’s. That was the pivotal moment. They sounded amazing. That was what I was looking for. Now I realize I didn’t get to hear dual VTF3’s or VTF15’s but even with just the single ULS15 there was something there I wasn’t getting with the others. I was sold. Picked up the two ULS15’s, drove home, and my friends and I set them up. I have them positioned right behind the listening area one to the left and the other to the right. All I can say is wow! The bass was everywhere and the guns firing in 13 Hours were going through my chest. My HT was transformed and even my wife said that it was a much more immersive experience. Thank you Kevin, if you had not mentioned that, I probably wouldn’t have this huge smile on my face right now. Just wanted to share with all of you and thank you!
xcjago, Tom C, galonzo and 3 others like this.

post #8510 of 8595 Old 05-22-2019, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 1977
Quote:
So I went down to Hsu today and I want to thank Kevin for taking the time to listen to me and demo the subs for me and a couple friends. I always find it helpful to have a couple friends to help validate what I think I’m hearing. I walked in there fully expecting to get a pair of VTF3-MK5’s or possibly a single VTF15-MK2. First off, I want to say that both of those subs are amazing and for the price, a great bang for your buck. The problem I had is that they just weren’t giving me what I wanted. I wasn’t feeling as immersed as I had hoped. I realize that there are a lot of variable in play here; their room vs mine, placement of their subs, etc. Then after some testing, Kevin suggested trying something different and playing a single ULS15 and then dual ULS15’s. That was the pivotal moment. They sounded amazing. That was what I was looking for. Now I realize I didn’t get to hear dual VTF3’s or VTF15’s but even with just the single ULS15 there was something there I wasn’t getting with the others. I was sold. Picked up the two ULS15’s, drove home, and my friends and I set them up. I have them positioned right behind the listening area one to the left and the other to the right. All I can say is wow! The bass was everywhere and the guns firing in 13 Hours were going through my chest. My HT was transformed and even my wife said that it was a much more immersive experience. Thank you Kevin, if you had not mentioned that, I probably wouldn’t have this huge smile on my face right now. Just wanted to share with all of you and thank you!
As long as you are happy that's all that matters. I'm curious though, how was the VTF3 setup? Was it ported? I'm surprised the ULS sounded better to you. At any rate, you're satisfied and in the end, that's the goal.
galonzo likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #8511 of 8595 Old 05-23-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

As long as you are happy that's all that matters. I'm curious though, how was the VTF3 setup? Was it ported? I'm surprised the ULS sounded better to you. At any rate, you're satisfied and in the end, that's the goal.
I don’t honestly know how it was setup as it was in a cabinet directly behind my chair. I think it was 1 port open though based on what they were recommending when I was inquiring about the sub. I was pretty surprised myself as I didn’t expect it based on everything I had read. I am very happy though and the smaller size was beneficial in placing dual subs in my living room.
galonzo likes this.

post #8512 of 8595 Old 05-23-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
I don’t honestly know how it was setup as it was in a cabinet directly behind my chair. I think it was 1 port open though based on what they were recommending when I was inquiring about the sub. I was pretty surprised myself as I didn’t expect it based on everything I had read. I am very happy though and the smaller size was beneficial in placing dual subs in my living room.
I have just the one vtf3-5 and it pounds when needed. I followed their guidelines to a tee, pre audyssey settings and post. All I did was bump it up 3db in the receiver and it smashes the room on "those" scenes. I can't wait to get my 2nd to balance the room. Your room, one port open or both, settings on the back of the sub, your gain on the receiver, a whole lot of variables to dial it in to your room.
HsuKevin likes this.

HT 7.1.4: Sony X940E, Marantz SR8012, LR: JBL Studio 580's, C: JBL Studio 520c, Surrounds and Rears: JBL Studio 530's, ATMOS: JBL Studio 210's, Sub: HSU VTF-3 mk5
MB 5.1: Sony 55" X950G, Denon X3500H, LR/Surrounds: JBL Studio 270’s, C: JBL Studio 235c, Sub: HSU VTF-2 mk5
Living Room/Office 5.1: Sony 49" 900E's, HTNT5's with wireless rear channels
post #8513 of 8595 Old 05-23-2019, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hello, been looking at HSU subs. Recently sold my SVS PB 2000 and looking for more. Basement has wood laminate over concrete and main area is 18x10 or so with 8' ceilings. There is a game area thats 9x7 on the other side with a big column and two walkways, so its almost L shaped. Currently only room for one sub, but will purchase a 2nd when we move into a new place within the year. Between the VTF3 and VTF 15, what are the major differences besides size of enclosure and a little output? With the current sale there is only $130 price difference. With singles will I notice a huge difference? 70% movies and 30% music. I like the size of the VTF3 better for my current space, but its only short term.

Thanks!

Basement HT 5.1.2 - Marantz 6012, Outlaw 5000 - ELAC Debut F5 Towers, C5 Center, B5 Bookshelves as surrounds - Monolith 15(RETURNED) - BenQ2050a 92" Silver Ticket
Upstairs Living Room, Music 3.1 - Anthem MRX520 - Pair of KEF Q300's, Single Q100 - SVS PB 1000 - Projekt Debut turntable - LG 55" B8 OLED
Bedroom 2.1 - Denon AVR740h - ELAC B4 Bookshelves - Klipsch R-10SW - TCL 49"
post #8514 of 8595 Old 05-23-2019, 05:58 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked: 3207
Quote:
Then after some testing, Kevin suggested trying something different and playing a single ULS15 and then dual ULS15’s. That was the pivotal moment. They sounded amazing. That was what I was looking for. Now I realize I didn’t get to hear dual VTF3’s or VTF15’s but even with just the single ULS15 there was something there I wasn’t getting with the others. I was sold.
About 3 1/2 years ago I concluded my review of the ULS-15 by saying 'the HSU Research ULS-15 MK2 may be the best value going in the 15" subwoofer market'. Guess I'm not the only one who thinks that, eh?
Tom C, sdrucker, galonzo and 2 others like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #8515 of 8595 Old 05-23-2019, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
About 3 1/2 years ago I concluded my review of the ULS-15 by saying 'the HSU Research ULS-15 MK2 may be the best value going in the 15" subwoofer market'. Guess I'm not the only one who thinks that, eh?
A friend of mine has dual ULS-15 (Mk1) subs and they're great.

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000, 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers
post #8516 of 8595 Old 05-23-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:

About 3 1/2 years ago I concluded my review of the ULS-15 by saying 'the HSU Research ULS-15 MK2 may be the best value going in the 15" subwoofer market'. Guess I'm not the only one who thinks that, eh? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
I read that review. It was a great review and I very much appreciated it during these past couple weeks of researching subs. I agree with you whole heartedly. It is a great sub and to have 2 is just amazing. I believe I have just been converted from ported to sealed. Lol.

post #8517 of 8595 Old 05-24-2019, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
No Jim your absolutely not the only one...Kevin suggested the ULS-15 MK-2 in my 3800^ room. I was doubtful and was sure I would need at least 2 of them to fill a room that size. I have had one for about 3 months now and WOW what a sub! It does an incredible job by itself that I can't imagine what it will be like when I get the WAF on board for the second one.

PG55
Tom C, galonzo, JimWilson and 1 others like this.

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
L-C-R = Def Tech Mythos 9's + Surrounds = Mythos Gem XL"s
Subwoofer = HSU ULS-15 MK2
post #8518 of 8595 Old 05-24-2019, 05:51 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG55 View Post
No Jim your absolutely not the only one...Kevin suggested the ULS-15 MK-2 in my 3800^ room. I was doubtful and was sure I would need at least 2 of them to fill a room that size. I have had one for about 3 months now and WOW what a sub! It does an incredible job by itself that I can't imagine what it will be like when I get the WAF on board for the second one.

PG55
When that happens you'll end up with a perma-grin! I've had one since Wednesday. I wish I had done this a long time ago. I go back now and re-watch all my movies and it's a whole new experience. At least in my room. I realize that each persons experience may differ, but this is the best HT purchase I have made in a long time. My new favorite demo scene is Flight of the Phoenix - the sandstorm plane crash scene.
Tom C, galonzo, JimWilson and 2 others like this.

post #8519 of 8595 Old 05-25-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
It was an absolute pleasure! Glad you found that the ULS-15 Mk2's worked better for your situation. Admittedly, it is a bit tough since the ULS-15 MK2 isn't exactly located in the same position as the other two ported subs. So A/Bing them, even in our demo room is a bit tough. The ULS-15 MK2 was further in the corner so that may have affected it some as well. Did you ever try the other sub at the other two position proposed? I'm curious as to how those worked out. Still need to pick up 13 Hours to try that scene out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
We have it set up right behind the seating position, so there is a lot of that tactile punch and shaking that is transmitted through the seats. We ran with 2 ports open, EQ 2, Q.5. The reason why is that our room had a pretty large room gain in the ultra low bass below 20 Hz, so when we ran with two ports open, it gave us a smoother response and the sub plays pretty much flat down to 15 Hz in room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirney View Post
Hello, been looking at HSU subs. Recently sold my SVS PB 2000 and looking for more. Basement has wood laminate over concrete and main area is 18x10 or so with 8' ceilings. There is a game area thats 9x7 on the other side with a big column and two walkways, so its almost L shaped. Currently only room for one sub, but will purchase a 2nd when we move into a new place within the year. Between the VTF3 and VTF 15, what are the major differences besides size of enclosure and a little output? With the current sale there is only $130 price difference. With singles will I notice a huge difference? 70% movies and 30% music. I like the size of the VTF3 better for my current space, but its only short term.

Thanks!
More clean output in the ultra low bass is the main difference. Due to the larger size of the ports, that also means less port noise at high output levels in the ultra low bass as well. That being said, they are fairly similar in performance. I would venture to say that for the majority of material you may end up listening to, both subs would perform the same with very little to no distinguishable difference. I would say that the VTF-15H MK2 is more "future proof" in that if you go to a larger room and need more clean headroom, the VTF-15H Mk2 would be the best for that. Also if you tend to be more of a theaterphile of sorts and like to find the newest movies with ultra deep bass content, the VTF-15H MK2 may end up being the better of the two. The PB-2000 is a great sub, but what were you looking to get more of? WHere are you seated in that 18x10 area? Where is the 9x7 area located relative to you listening position?

Quote:
When that happens you'll end up with a perma-grin! I've had one since Wednesday. I wish I had done this a long time ago. I go back now and re-watch all my movies and it's a whole new experience. At least in my room. I realize that each persons experience may differ, but this is the best HT purchase I have made in a long time. My new favorite demo scene is Flight of the Phoenix - the sandstorm plane crash scene.
Yea that scene is one of my favs. Some good low bass content in there. I should have played that for you in the demo room as well.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8520 of 8595 Old 05-25-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Did you ever try the other sub at the other two position proposed?
I first tried them stacked in the corner where my previous sub was. They had great output that way but not balanced enough across the multiple listening positions. So then I left one there (the back left corner) and placed the other in the opposite corner (back right corner). Pretty much the same setup you had in the demo room. It sounded so good there that I didn’t even try the other positions.
HsuKevin likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page