***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 288 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1344Likes

post #8611 of 8637 Old 07-17-2019, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I'm unfamiliar with Sonos.

What interface? If it's a standard analog one, http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAW4.html

I've used it for a while with a VTF-3 Mk5. It introduces a delay of something over 10ms, but that is supposed to be one of the lowest delays available.

Ok. Thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8612 of 8637 Old 07-17-2019, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingssoldier08 View Post
The gain is only set at 9:00 from that video, so it shouldn't be pushing too hard anyway, but my camera doesn't pick up the vibrations that well.

I thought the same and am trying to figure out why 2 subs would start that noise. Seems like a very strange thing to be a coincidence. Definitely coming from inside the sub. Toward the top. I had it placed upside down in the corner, and the noise is harder to hear, but still present. When I turn the sub right side up and put my ear to it, the sound is loud. The sound is always coming from the sub, regardless of where the sub is located. Interesting idea with the power outlet. I tried a different one with same results. There are definitely room rattles, but this is not that.

I checked with direct from my phone using a 3.5mm to dual rca cord with the same results, so it isn't my receiver. Didn't try a different room. I may try that later tonight.

I had about written them off when I posted here, so I appreciate your encouragement, and I'm glad to have your experiential input to lead me to thing this is something solvable.

I'm also waiting on hsu to get my first sub taken apart to see what is going on with that one. Hopefully that will bring some answers as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
We just got your sub today, so we're currently looking it over. We will likely get back to you either today or tomorrow. We do stand behind our subs, so if there is an issue, we'll take care of it. It's extremely rare for one sub to exhibit this issue, and I've never seen it happen twice like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3ntwooki3 View Post
Hi kingssoldier08,

Any luck? Was Hsu able to work out the issue with you?
I would like to know this too.

Can the OP or Kevin provide an update on the findings? I'm curious to know what was going on.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #8613 of 8637 Old 07-18-2019, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
Is it possible to buy an accessory to wirelessly connect a hsu sub to a Sonos soundbar? I’m looking to buy a soundbar for a bedroom with wireless surround speakers and I was thinking I would buy the sub separately from the rest of the speakers. Anyone done that?

Possible. As bobknavs stated, as long as it has an RCA line level output, you should be able to hook up our sub to the wireless system. What model soundbar are you looking to get? I think I remember Sonos, at one time, having a couple products that are only compatible to their own subwoofer (EQ/processing/etc.). I don't think they do that now, but I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
I would like to know this too.

Can the OP or Kevin provide an update on the findings? I'm curious to know what was going on.
We found an excess piece of glue that was resonating against the enclosure on the first one. Pulled it out and it was fine. The second one we haven't looked over, but we pretty much sent the customer a prepaid label so the customer can return it and we issued a full refund.
galonzo, jconjason and mik2h like this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8614 of 8637 Old 07-18-2019, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
We found an excess piece of glue that was resonating against the enclosure on the first one. Pulled it out and it was fine. The second one we haven't looked over, but we pretty much sent the customer a prepaid label so the customer can return it and we issued a full refund.
This is correct. It was a hassle free process from HSU during this whole ordeal. I ended up going down the diy road and will see how that works out.
post #8615 of 8637 Old 07-19-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
This is correct. It was a hassle free process from HSU during this whole ordeal. I ended up going down the diy road and will see how that works out.
Sorry again for the issues you had with our VTF-2 Mk5! It's pretty strange to see something like that. I do appreciate your patience in working with us on it though. Hope the DIY works out well! Let me know if you have any questions on integration, etc.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8616 of 8637 Old 07-20-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Sorry again for the issues you had with our VTF-2 Mk5! It's pretty strange to see something like that. I do appreciate your patience in working with us on it though. Hope the DIY works out well! Let me know if you have any questions on integration, etc.
I appreciate all the assistance on here as well. I wish it would've worked out fine, but I am enjoying the process of diyv so far. Working on a pair of VBSS's (18s with variable tuning of 15 or 20 Hz). Almost ready to stain and poly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190719_120844.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	712.2 KB
ID:	2592822   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190718_141335.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	653.0 KB
ID:	2592824  
ambesolman likes this.
post #8617 of 8637 Old 07-20-2019, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
I appreciate all the assistance on here as well. I wish it would've worked out fine, but I am enjoying the process of diyv so far. Working on a pair of VBSS's (18s with variable tuning of 15 or 20 Hz). Almost ready to stain and poly.
No MDF? Nice.
post #8618 of 8637 Old 07-21-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
No MDF? Nice.
No. I went with red oak. Hopefully it works it well enough. My wife likes the wood look. Planning to make a dual vbss tv stand similar to one I saw on here
post #8619 of 8637 Old 07-26-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Hello!
I own 2 of the VTF15 Mk1 (and one MFW15) for 3 subs right behind my seating area.
I was surprised to find this information from Sound And Vision measurements:

The VTF-15H’s close-miked response with one port open, normalized to the level at 80 hertz, indicates that the lower –3-decibel point is at 24 Hz and the –6-dB point is at 18 Hz. The upper –3-dB point is at 162 Hz with the Crossover switch set to Out.

While the VTF3 MK5 shows this:

The VTF-3 Mk5 HP’s close-miked response, normalized to the level at 80 Hz, indicates that the lower –3dB point is at 17 Hz and the –6dB point is at 15 Hz. The upper –3dB point is at 144 Hz with the 4” port open, 3” port blocked, EQ = 1, Q = 0.7, and the Crossover switch set to Out.—MJP

Which is very close to the VTF15 Mk2!

So if I want those super low frequencies, getting the VTF3 will actually be a decent upgrade???

Projector: JVC DLA-RS520
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR3010 Speakers: Rockets RS-760, RSC-200 (Bigfoot), RS-250, ELT525 | Subs: dual HSU VTF-15H and one MFW-15
post #8620 of 8637 Old 07-26-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena View Post
Hello!
I own 2 of the VTF15 Mk1 (and one MFW15) for 3 subs right behind my seating area.
I was surprised to find this information from Sound And Vision measurements:

The VTF-15H’s close-miked response with one port open, normalized to the level at 80 hertz, indicates that the lower –3-decibel point is at 24 Hz and the –6-dB point is at 18 Hz. The upper –3-dB point is at 162 Hz with the Crossover switch set to Out.

While the VTF3 MK5 shows this:

The VTF-3 Mk5 HP’s close-miked response, normalized to the level at 80 Hz, indicates that the lower –3dB point is at 17 Hz and the –6dB point is at 15 Hz. The upper –3dB point is at 144 Hz with the 4” port open, 3” port blocked, EQ = 1, Q = 0.7, and the Crossover switch set to Out.—MJP

Which is very close to the VTF15 Mk2!

So if I want those super low frequencies, getting the VTF3 will actually be a decent upgrade???
According to HSU's numbers the VTF-15H MK1 has more output at the lowest frequencies due to a lower tuning point in 1 port mode. The VTF-3 MK5 plays louder above 20hz.
post #8621 of 8637 Old 07-29-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So since I have two VTF-15H Mk1 and one MWF 15 all 3 behind my seating area....realistically how much of a wow factor should I expect from replacing say the middle VTF15 with the Mk2?

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR3010 Speakers: Rockets RS-760, RSC-200 (Bigfoot), RS-250, ELT525 | Subs: dual HSU VTF-15H and one MFW-15
post #8622 of 8637 Old 07-29-2019, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

***Official HSU owners/support thread!***

Quote:
So since I have two VTF-15H Mk1 and one MWF 15 all 3 behind my seating area....realistically how much of a wow factor should I expect from replacing say the middle VTF15 with the Mk2?

You may want to wait until they release that new dual 15 sub HSU has been working on. Should be interesting to see what they do with that in terms of the amp, output, etc. That sub configuration is available from at least 3 companies at this point....Seaton, Rythmik, PSA.

Edit: one thing about the Rythmik that I find unattractive is the weight of their sub being 185lbs! Imagine trying to move that thing around. The PSA and Seaton subs are much more reasonable at 110lbs. Hopefully, HSU follows suit if they come out with one.

Last edited by tidwelr1; 07-29-2019 at 02:15 PM.
post #8623 of 8637 Old 07-29-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm excited for the new sub but I see no way it will be ~$1,000. Planning to order the VTF-15H MK2 in the fall.
post #8624 of 8637 Old 07-29-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1per666 View Post
I'm excited for the new sub but I see no way it will be ~$1,000. Planning to order the VTF-15H MK2 in the fall.
Yeah probably will be out of what I want to spend.
Sn1per666 likes this.

post #8625 of 8637 Old 07-30-2019, 10:30 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked: 3272
Quote:
Edit: one thing about the Rythmik that I find unattractive is the weight of their sub being 185lbs! Imagine trying to move that thing around. The PSA and Seaton subs are much more reasonable at 110lbs. Hopefully, HSU follows suit if they come out with one.
Do you frequently move subs around? If not, weight isn't really an issue (FWIW, I moved the review unit around by myself and didn't have a problem doing it). Being stout has its advantages, subwoofers typically benefit form the additional heft.
ambesolman likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #8626 of 8637 Old 07-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Do you frequently move subs around? If not, weight isn't really an issue (FWIW, I moved the review unit around by myself and didn't have a problem doing it). Being stout has its advantages, subwoofers typically benefit form the additional heft.

Did you move it up or down any stairs? Even if no, I would think you had to have someone help you even bring it in the house bc it’s delivered on a pallet I think. So it’s not delivered right to your door. Correct? Once put in it’s space, no I don’t move my current sub around. Even then, furniture movers solve that issue. I was mainly thinking of initial placement with stairs involved or if you happen to move, etc. It may not be as big a deal as I’m thinking. Seems like it would to me but I don’t have experience with it either.

post #8627 of 8637 Old 07-30-2019, 01:24 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Did you move it up or down any stairs? Even if no, I would think you had to have someone help you even bring it in the house bc it’s delivered on a pallet I think. So it’s not delivered right to your door. Correct? Once put in it’s space, no I don’t move my current sub around. Even then, furniture movers solve that issue. I was mainly thinking of initial placement with stairs involved or if you happen to move, etc. It may not be as big a deal as I’m thinking. Seems like it would to me but I don’t have experience with it either.
I did move it up stairs actually, but it was only the 4 from my front walkway to the door. I have to move around very heavy subs all the time though so I have a hand truck, wheeled dolly, furniture pads, etc. After years of doing this I have devised a number of methods to transport equipment because I'm always doing it by myself.

Don't get me wrong, the G25HP is heavy and its size does make it a challenge for one person to manage. I guess the point I was trying to make is that typically moving something like a subwoofer happens very infrequently so it's often not a struggle beyond the initial placement. If you have a buddy or two that can help muscle it around that's the better option as I can tell you from experience it's not always fun to maneuver these things by yourself.

post #8628 of 8637 Old 07-30-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I think you also posted your questions on the Hsu Forum as well. The VTF-15H is still a great sub, the Mk2 would give you around 3-4 dB more output, which is significant and it would certainly be an upgrade. However, on the more subjective side, I would say that it's not going to be a huge night and day difference that's going to blow you away.

All this talk of moving subs reminds me of when Dr. Hsu and I were essentially carrying a VTF-15H up a flight of stairs... not fun and certainly would have done that differently.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8629 of 8637 Old 07-30-2019, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I think you also posted your questions on the Hsu Forum as well. The VTF-15H is still a great sub, the Mk2 would give you around 3-4 dB more output, which is significant and it would certainly be an upgrade. However, on the more subjective side, I would say that it's not going to be a huge night and day difference that's going to blow you away.

All this talk of moving subs reminds me of when Dr. Hsu and I were essentially carrying a VTF-15H up a flight of stairs... not fun and certainly would have done that differently.

Hi Kevin, can you send me your recommendation on the settings you would use at first to blend a VTF-15H and the newer VTF 3 -Mk5? They seem pretty close in specs and output, and both are now located up along the front wall, flanking my setup, away from the corners with the front speakers on the outside.

I'm using these settings now for both: one port open, EQ 1, Q settings .07
post #8630 of 8637 Old 08-01-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonametofame View Post
Hi Kevin, can you send me your recommendation on the settings you would use at first to blend a VTF-15H and the newer VTF 3 -Mk5? They seem pretty close in specs and output, and both are now located up along the front wall, flanking my setup, away from the corners with the front speakers on the outside.

I'm using these settings now for both: one port open, EQ 1, Q settings .07
Is this the VTF-15H MK2 or Mk1?

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8631 of 8637 Old 08-01-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Is this the VTF-15H MK2 or Mk1?

Mk 1
post #8632 of 8637 Old 08-02-2019, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I proposed a question a couple of weeks ago in the SVS thread since I currently own an 11-year old PB12-NSD, and was looking at trying to sell it and possibly move to the SB3000. Being in Canada, the pricing is awful for anything from the US with the currency conversion, shipping, taxes and duties. I contacted HSU about costs and did the conversions, and now have a second option for the same price tag (final cost to my door) as the SB3000 which is the HSU ULS-15 Mk2.

First off, here is the not-so-typical question I had about ported vs. sealed subs, and figured I'd ask it in here as well-

I own a condo so I do have to be somewhat conscious about volume/loudness when I'm watching movies. Luckily, I was an early buyer when the building was finishing construction, and ended up choosing a top floor corner unit so I really only have to worry about people living in the unit below me. My question on switching from a ported to sealed subwoofer in this case is; would I be able to watch a movie at a higher overall master volume (let's say watching at -15 rather than -20) and still have LESS potential for sound reaching/disrupting people below me? I only watch movies at high volume in the afternoons/early evening as well, I was just wondered in my specific setup if there was theoretically a scenario I could play a movie at a higher/louder volume and actually be LESS disruptive (if it were ever to be an issue).

The reason for considering a sealed sub, even though this is for a movies/streaming application, is that I'd like to move the sub from it's current placement in the corner beside the couch to reduce the localization from that spot to the front soundstage. Being a living room setup, the bigger ported boxes just look really out of place aesthetically and I wouldn't want my current sub there.

What attracted me to the SB3000 is: it has the gloss black finish which matches my KEF's, is a 15" cube which is a huge reduction in footprint size, and is a brand new design with their newest technology. Now that I have another choice in the same price range that fits the same criteria mostly (I don't get the gloss finish and it's a bit bigger box but go from a 13" driver to a 15") - how would the HSU compare strictly in the performance department against the SVS?

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED / Panasonic DMP UB400 / NAD T758v3 / Nvidia Shield TV
5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / SVS PB12-NSD
post #8633 of 8637 Old 08-02-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonametofame View Post
Mk 1
Ah OK. Yea I think running them with the same port/op mode/q is a good way to start. I would recommend maybe lowering the Q slightly on the VTF-3 Mk5 HP. Where are you planning on placing the subs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01gt View Post
I proposed a question a couple of weeks ago in the SVS thread since I currently own an 11-year old PB12-NSD, and was looking at trying to sell it and possibly move to the SB3000. Being in Canada, the pricing is awful for anything from the US with the currency conversion, shipping, taxes and duties. I contacted HSU about costs and did the conversions, and now have a second option for the same price tag (final cost to my door) as the SB3000 which is the HSU ULS-15 Mk2.

First off, here is the not-so-typical question I had about ported vs. sealed subs, and figured I'd ask it in here as well-

I own a condo so I do have to be somewhat conscious about volume/loudness when I'm watching movies. Luckily, I was an early buyer when the building was finishing construction, and ended up choosing a top floor corner unit so I really only have to worry about people living in the unit below me. My question on switching from a ported to sealed subwoofer in this case is; would I be able to watch a movie at a higher overall master volume (let's say watching at -15 rather than -20) and still have LESS potential for sound reaching/disrupting people below me? I only watch movies at high volume in the afternoons/early evening as well, I was just wondered in my specific setup if there was theoretically a scenario I could play a movie at a higher/louder volume and actually be LESS disruptive (if it were ever to be an issue).

The reason for considering a sealed sub, even though this is for a movies/streaming application, is that I'd like to move the sub from it's current placement in the corner beside the couch to reduce the localization from that spot to the front soundstage. Being a living room setup, the bigger ported boxes just look really out of place aesthetically and I wouldn't want my current sub there.

What attracted me to the SB3000 is: it has the gloss black finish which matches my KEF's, is a 15" cube which is a huge reduction in footprint size, and is a brand new design with their newest technology. Now that I have another choice in the same price range that fits the same criteria mostly (I don't get the gloss finish and it's a bit bigger box but go from a 13" driver to a 15") - how would the HSU compare strictly in the performance department against the SVS?
Hi there,

The ULS-15 Mk2 does play pretty flat down to 18 Hz, so you're still going to get a good amount of deeper bass extension that may end up moving over to your neighbors below. That being said, the sealed sub does compress in the deeper bass earlier than its ported counterpart, so if you do end up playing at louder output levels to the point where the ULS-15 Mk2 starts to hit its limits, that can mean less low bass to mid-bass transmission, but again you're starting to run the sub on the high side. I think if anything it may be better to use the EQ/Q functions to help remove a little bit of the low frequencies instead. SVS makes a great sub in the SB-3000. Honestly, I haven't seen any measurements on the sub so I can't really say how the ULS-15 Mk2 would compare to that. I know Audioholics measured the SB-16 Ultra and the ULS-15 Mk2:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...a/measurements

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...2/measurements

So that may shed a little bit of light on that, but yea without measurements I can only make wild guess.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8634 of 8637 Old 08-04-2019, 06:40 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
I own a condo so I do have to be somewhat conscious about volume/loudness when I'm watching movies. Luckily, I was an early buyer when the building was finishing construction, and ended up choosing a top floor corner unit so I really only have to worry about people living in the unit below me.
To minimize transmitted vibrations you could try something like the Auralex SubDude. While it won't lessen the sound they hear it will decouple the sub from the floor and diminish anything passed through the structure.
galonzo likes this.

post #8635 of 8637 Old 08-12-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Hi there,

The ULS-15 Mk2 does play pretty flat down to 18 Hz, so you're still going to get a good amount of deeper bass extension that may end up moving over to your neighbors below. That being said, the sealed sub does compress in the deeper bass earlier than its ported counterpart, so if you do end up playing at louder output levels to the point where the ULS-15 Mk2 starts to hit its limits, that can mean less low bass to mid-bass transmission, but again you're starting to run the sub on the high side. I think if anything it may be better to use the EQ/Q functions to help remove a little bit of the low frequencies instead. SVS makes a great sub in the SB-3000. Honestly, I haven't seen any measurements on the sub so I can't really say how the ULS-15 Mk2 would compare to that. I know Audioholics measured the SB-16 Ultra and the ULS-15 Mk2:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...a/measurements

So that may shed a little bit of light on that, but yea without measurements I can only make wild guess.
So how many of you are just loving your ULS-15 mk2 subs?

I want to get a couple of sealed subs but there are so many selections out there and I am debating between dual drive ULS-15's or dual PSA (either 15 OR 18") sealed subs... I want DEEP bass (below 20hz) and really strong midbass that I can feel. I did have the original ULS-15 about 10 years ago, (Sold them for Seaton Submersive HP's) but I don’t know how these new subs will perform. What are everyone’s thoughts on this sub??

Last edited by Jrunr; 08-12-2019 at 03:43 PM.
post #8636 of 8637 Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Hi there,

The ULS-15 Mk2 does play pretty flat down to 18 Hz, so you're still going to get a good amount of deeper bass extension that may end up moving over to your neighbors below. That being said, the sealed sub does compress in the deeper bass earlier than its ported counterpart, so if you do end up playing at louder output levels to the point where the ULS-15 Mk2 starts to hit its limits, that can mean less low bass to mid-bass transmission, but again you're starting to run the sub on the high side. I think if anything it may be better to use the EQ/Q functions to help remove a little bit of the low frequencies instead.

So, with random luck I came across someone in Vancouver having to sell 2 of these subs for a great price who put an ad up for them 3 days ago, and I am getting one on Monday! Just through seeing the back of the amp plate from pictures, and reading reviews - what settings should I be looking to use for pure movie use regarding the EQ1/EQ2 and Q Control? I am also using a NAD T758v3 AVR with DIRAC Live for the room correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
To minimize transmitted vibrations you could try something like the Auralex SubDude. While it won't lessen the sound they hear it will decouple the sub from the floor and diminish anything passed through the structure.

I actually have an old Auralex GRAMMA that I still use currently.

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED / Panasonic DMP UB400 / NAD T758v3 / Nvidia Shield TV
5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / SVS PB12-NSD
post #8637 of 8637 Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
So how many of you are just loving your ULS-15 mk2 subs?

I want to get a couple of sealed subs but there are so many selections out there and I am debating between dual drive ULS-15's or dual PSA (either 15 OR 18") sealed subs... I want DEEP bass (below 20hz) and really strong midbass that I can feel. I did have the original ULS-15 about 10 years ago, (Sold them for Seaton Submersive HP's) but I don’t know how these new subs will perform. What are everyone’s thoughts on this sub??
Hi there!

If you're looking for deep bass below 20 Hz, is there any particular reason why you want to stick with sealed subs instead of going ported? Our ported 15" would give you the mid-bass punch as with the sealed sub but it would give you significantly more clean output in the deeper bass. The ULS-15 MK2 would play significantly louder and cleaner than the original ULS-15 across the board, especially in the deeper bass and below 20 Hz. James Larson did a pretty in-depth review of our ULS-15 MK2 and he also tested an original ULS-15 for reference.

Quote:
So, with random luck I came across someone in Vancouver having to sell 2 of these subs for a great price who put an ad up for them 3 days ago, and I am getting one on Monday! Just through seeing the back of the amp plate from pictures, and reading reviews - what settings should I be looking to use for pure movie use regarding the EQ1/EQ2 and Q Control? I am also using a NAD T758v3 AVR with DIRAC Live for the room correction.

I actually have an old Auralex GRAMMA that I still use currently.
Hello sb01gt,

If you're using this for movies, I recommend going with EQ 1. Q control largely depends on the room that it's going in and your preference. You can start out with Q.7, but if you feel that the sub is a tad bit boomy in the lows, you can turn the Q down a bit to tighten it up.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page