***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 292 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1424Likes

post #8731 of 8780 Old 10-10-2019, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Google Images, perhaps? I admit that I don't see anything there that looks a lot better than the pictures at Hsu Research.

It's a large black box. Maybe make a full sized cardboard mockup? An explain to her that to be good at low frequencies (for home cinema), the subwoofer has to be physically large. The cabinet size almost seems to be more important than the size of the driver. (A VTF-2 plays about as low as a VTF-3, even though the 2 has a 12" driver, vs. the 15" of the 3.)
The vtf-2 and vtf-3 are not sexy subs like bobknavs said... there big black boxes.

But the vtf-3 plays much louder at all hz's than a vtf-2. As Kevin has mentioned, 2 vtf-2 = 1 vtf-3!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 8780 Old 10-10-2019, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplusplus View Post
Could anyone please kindly point me in the direction of some higher quality photos of the VTF-2 MK5? I'm trying to get wife approval, but the photos on Hsu's website aren't quite representative enough of the real thing.
The best way to get a sense of what it actually looks like is to check out some YouTube videos.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vizio P75-F1 | Denon AVR-S740H | Chane A1.5/A2.4 L/C/R | Boston VRS Micro Surrounds | HSU VTF2-Mk5 | HTPC (Win10, Red Dragon RX 5700 XT, Kodi, MPC-HC/MadVR) | PS4 | XBone
post #8733 of 8780 Old 10-11-2019, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Great! I'll keep an eye out for an e-mail with the tracking info.

I live in a condo/former apartment, so I think the answer is yes? Where my HT is, though, there aren't any shared walls with any of the other units in the building. The only shared wall there is the one that separates the HT room and our bedroom. I also don't listen at very high volume levels being only 6 feet from any given speaker in the room. The building is concrete construction, too, so it's super quiet, and you can't even hear any of the other tenants above or on either side of us. I might get some form of isolation pad/rug if I am overly concerned about any reverberation below - which I'm not because the person below us once accused us of using exercise equipment (that we don't even have) at 4am when it was an inherent problem with the pipes in the building causing a constant thumping sound every so often. However, I am not vindictive enough to give her a reason to leave a passive aggressive note at our door
Oh that's good. We do occasionally hear back from our customers because the deeper bass ends up moving through their shared walls. The EQ/Q/Port configs do end up helping with that though in many instances. I remember we used to showcase our subs at RMAF and we had people complain about the bass when they are a couple rooms down, so we had to really watch our levels and avoid movie tracks. Thankfully AXPONA rooms are a lot more isolated and we haven't got a complaint from the neighbors. Most could not even hear it, so having that concrete construction can certainly help quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
OK here are pics of my setup. Room is mostly open on the right except the small wall you can see.
I see! Did you ever try placing the other sub next to the first one to see if they were in phase? Yea that opening can affect it a bit. Have you also tried placing the second sub in the back left at all? That may end up being a good setup as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplusplus View Post
Could anyone please kindly point me in the direction of some higher quality photos of the VTF-2 MK5? I'm trying to get wife approval, but the photos on Hsu's website aren't quite representative enough of the real thing.
What aspect of the photos would you like to see improved on?
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8734 of 8780 Old 10-11-2019, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Oh that's good. We do occasionally hear back from our customers because the deeper bass ends up moving through their shared walls. The EQ/Q/Port configs do end up helping with that though in many instances. I remember we used to showcase our subs at RMAF and we had people complain about the bass when they are a couple rooms down, so we had to really watch our levels and avoid movie tracks. Thankfully AXPONA rooms are a lot more isolated and we haven't got a complaint from the neighbors. Most could not even hear it, so having that concrete construction can certainly help quite a bit.
I am also certain that the walls that do separate the units are concrete - one wall I know for sure is. I've heard loud music playing from our neighbours standing outside in the hallway, and it was not at all audible when inside my unit.

I'm also thinking I'd probably keep the volume dial more at the 10 o'clock spot rather than 12 o'clock, but I'll see when I get the sub.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #8735 of 8780 Old 10-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

The ULS-15 MK2 arrived only a few hours ago!

Set it up, and it's been going for about an hour. The difference between this and the Elac is immediately noticeable. I have the volume at 12 o'clock right now, but I may have to turn it down to 10 o'clock just to keep the neighbour below from leaving a passive aggressive letter at our door.

Wonderful subwoofer, I think it was money well spent.

Edit: as an added note - when I ran my room calibration, I have never had AccuEQ on my Onkyo just run the test tone once and then be done when it got to that point in the calibration sequence haha

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 10-15-2019 at 04:49 PM.
post #8736 of 8780 Old 10-15-2019, 07:09 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2234 Post(s)
Liked: 3398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
The ULS-15 MK2 arrived only a few hours ago!

Set it up, and it's been going for about an hour. The difference between this and the Elac is immediately noticeable. I have the volume at 12 o'clock right now, but I may have to turn it down to 10 o'clock just to keep the neighbour below from leaving a passive aggressive letter at our door.

Wonderful subwoofer, I think it was money well spent.

Edit: as an added note - when I ran my room calibration, I have never had AccuEQ on my Onkyo just run the test tone once and then be done when it got to that point in the calibration sequence haha
I reviewed the ULS-15 MK2 about 4 years ago and back then I concluded the article by saying it "may be the best value going in the 15" subwoofer market". I suspect once you have some time to go through your movie collection you're going to come back and post a lot more about it.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #8737 of 8780 Old 10-16-2019, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
I reviewed the ULS-15 MK2 about 4 years ago and back then I concluded the article by saying it "may be the best value going in the 15" subwoofer market". I suspect once you have some time to go through your movie collection you're going to come back and post a lot more about it.
Well, in my short time with it so far, I'm impressed. Haven't watched any movies yet, though. I do not have any real movie collection anymore, so it'd be whatever Netflix offers (and Canadian Netflix is abysmal). My HT is mainly TV, and video games.

post #8738 of 8780 Old 10-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 104
ULS-15 MK2 or VTF-3 MK5 HP? Both are similar in price, so which one would be best in a home theater room, for the hardest hitting bass that you can feel in your chest? My room is 15'x13' with 8' ceiling.
post #8739 of 8780 Old 10-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
ULS-15 MK2 or VTF-3 MK5 HP? Both are similar in price, so which one would be best in a home theater room, for the hardest hitting bass that you can feel in your chest? My room is 15'x13' with 8' ceiling.
VTF-3. It's ported, which is likely to provide what you're looking.
biglen likes this.

post #8740 of 8780 Old 10-16-2019, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Probably the VTF-3 MK5 HP. Ported tends to lend itself towards HT, and sealed tends to work better for music. Having just received/installed my ULS-15 MK2 yesterday, it packs quite a punch, too.

Also with the VTF-3 MK5 HP, it has the advantage of operating as both a ported or sealed sub.
biglen likes this.

post #8741 of 8780 Old 10-16-2019, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So I just noticed that the HSU site shows the VTF-1 MK3 Subwoofer as discontinued. This is a real bummer as I had a spot carved out of my system for that size sub. Is there going to be a front firing replacement for that model?

Marantz SR7012, LG OLED55C7P, Sony UBP X800
Anthem MCA 525, Panamax M-5400
Kef R5, R2c, Paradigm MilleaniaOne Surrounds/Rear Heights
Kef Q150 Front Heights, HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 dual subs
Running 5.2.4
post #8742 of 8780 Old 10-16-2019, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim4511 View Post
So I just noticed that the HSU site shows the VTF-1 MK3 Subwoofer as discontinued. This is a real bummer as I had a spot carved out of my system for that size sub. Is there going to be a front firing replacement for that model?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post58586832
post #8743 of 8780 Old 10-18-2019, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
problem: ULS-15mk2 sub not turning on

After using and enjoying my ULS-15mk2 for over a year, it suddenly wouldn't power up. The red 'standby' light on the back would light up faintly (not bright red as before); and when switched to 'on', the green light wouldn't come on at all. The rubber ring around cone was not vibrating at all as it had been just a day before. No changes in set-up, no power surges AFAIK, haven't moved the sub much at all since finding preferred position a year ago. Hsu tech support was very attentive and patient via email, had me unscrew amp plate and check connections inside; I sent them a bunch of sloppy photos of inside and it wasn't clear if there was loose connector etc. I've gently prodded and poked the connectors (for ribbon cable etc) and leads, but no progress. Same faint red standby light; no power green light at all.

I've been using the sub low-passed ('out') from my Outlaw R2160, with the volume on the sub generally quite low (below 9 o'clock), barely touching the controls except to adjust volume a tiny bit, switch phase or EQ, or switch to standby occasionally (usually I leave the amp 'on' all the time).

Hsu HQ has actually already very patiently helped me with this, and it looks like I'll have to send the amp back to them for inspection and possibly repair; but I thought I'd post the issue here on the off-chance that a fellow ULS-15mk2 owner with a similar experience might have already had luck with a simple solution. I trust that Hsu HQ have guided me well, but I don't trust my own noob fingers to have properly tested all the connections in the amp; and there is only so much communication that can happen via email and lousy photos. If I can avoid shipping this amp back, I'd like to!
post #8744 of 8780 Old 10-18-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Honestly, both subs should do pretty well in that room. However, the VTF-3 Mk5 HP is superior when it comes to deeper bass output (low end rumble and pressurization). In terms of mid-bass punch, both subs would be fairly similar. Ultimately, it comes down to how much clean headroom you need. Where are you seated in that room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim4511 View Post
As quoted by pheare, unfortunately, we have decided to discontinue the VTF-1 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchez au grisbi View Post
After using and enjoying my ULS-15mk2 for over a year, it suddenly wouldn't power up. The red 'standby' light on the back would light up faintly (not bright red as before); and when switched to 'on', the green light wouldn't come on at all. The rubber ring around cone was not vibrating at all as it had been just a day before. No changes in set-up, no power surges AFAIK, haven't moved the sub much at all since finding preferred position a year ago. Hsu tech support was very attentive and patient via email, had me unscrew amp plate and check connections inside; I sent them a bunch of sloppy photos of inside and it wasn't clear if there was loose connector etc. I've gently prodded and poked the connectors (for ribbon cable etc) and leads, but no progress. Same faint red standby light; no power green light at all.

I've been using the sub low-passed ('out') from my Outlaw R2160, with the volume on the sub generally quite low (below 9 o'clock), barely touching the controls except to adjust volume a tiny bit, switch phase or EQ, or switch to standby occasionally (usually I leave the amp 'on' all the time).

Hsu HQ has actually already very patiently helped me with this, and it looks like I'll have to send the amp back to them for inspection and possibly repair; but I thought I'd post the issue here on the off-chance that a fellow ULS-15mk2 owner with a similar experience might have already had luck with a simple solution. I trust that Hsu HQ have guided me well, but I don't trust my own noob fingers to have properly tested all the connections in the amp; and there is only so much communication that can happen via email and lousy photos. If I can avoid shipping this amp back, I'd like to!
Sorry to hear about the issue you're having with the ULS-15 Mk2! Yea that's a strange one. Never seen that sort of issue before when you have been using it already. The closest thing to it that I have seen is if the voltage selector switch is set to 240v instead of 120v. Usually when that happens, you see a very dim pilot light or the unit not turning on at all. If you checked the internal connections and the voltage switch, I'm not sure what else it could be.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8745 of 8780 Old 10-20-2019, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Sorry to hear about the issue you're having with the ULS-15 Mk2! Yea that's a strange one. Never seen that sort of issue before when you have been using it already. The closest thing to it that I have seen is if the voltage selector switch is set to 240v instead of 120v. Usually when that happens, you see a very dim pilot light or the unit not turning on at all. If you checked the internal connections and the voltage switch, I'm not sure what else it could be.

I hope you guys don't mind me posting in this public forum just as a last resort; I've greatly appreciated the very responsive support from Hsu HQ. I ended up removing the clear plastic strip over the voltage selector, just to make absolutely certain that the switch was completely slid to the side, both selecting and displaying the 120v in white print. Anyway, thanks for the recent correspondence...I'll get the machine to you as soon as I can. Music listening has been dramatically better with the sub in place...it's not been a small improvement.
post #8746 of 8780 Old 10-24-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchez au grisbi View Post
I hope you guys don't mind me posting in this public forum just as a last resort; I've greatly appreciated the very responsive support from Hsu HQ. I ended up removing the clear plastic strip over the voltage selector, just to make absolutely certain that the switch was completely slid to the side, both selecting and displaying the 120v in white print. Anyway, thanks for the recent correspondence...I'll get the machine to you as soon as I can. Music listening has been dramatically better with the sub in place...it's not been a small improvement.
Not at all. That's why we have a support forum here. Yea I've never personally heard of that sort of issue, especially if it didn't happen when the sub was initially working fine. Sorry for the issue!
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8747 of 8780 Old 10-28-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm having an issue with my new VTF 3.5. I recently added a second one after owning the first for 4 years or so. I posted earlier about a phase issue and posted pics - here are those pics: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post58661666

Subs are on front wall, equidistant from MLP. Level set/balanced by YPAO. The issue is chuffing noise from the new sub that doesn't occur with the old one. Testing on some bass test-type songs (suck my bass) there was a ton of noise coming from the new one. I went over to it and it sounded like it was coming from the BACK of the sub. I noticed the screws that hold the amp on were not torqued down and I could feel air coming out around the plate. I tightened them down, and can no longer feel air, but there is still noise coming from the back of the sub in the amp area. I'm not sure where it's coming from. The noise is only audible when there isn't other higher frequencies playing that mask it. But it's quite loud on those bass test songs, or with test tones of course. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a missing gasket or something?

Thanks
post #8748 of 8780 Old 10-28-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6552 Post(s)
Liked: 5903
I was going to say that it may be a missing/out of place gasket. While I don't know if that particular sub even has a gasket, it might be worthwhile to remove the amp and check to make sure the gasket is where it should be.

Other actual HSU owners would know better than me though...
post #8749 of 8780 Old 10-28-2019, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure if it's me or not, but I will sometimes get a little shock when I go to adjust any of the knobs/switches on the back of my ULS-15 MK2. Could be I'm self-generating static, though... the concern is that one time I'll go to adjust the volume or something, and fry something.

post #8750 of 8780 Old 10-28-2019, 11:37 PM

Went down today and picked up my 2nd vtf-3 mk5. Met the man today...Dr. Hsu! He helped load my sub into my suv. He asked .. "this is your 2nd one? Dang you must love bass!" Lol... yes, yes I do!

Haven't had time to set it up, but expect both to pound.

post #8751 of 8780 Old 10-29-2019, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x View Post
Went down today and picked up my 2nd vtf-3 mk5. Met the man today...Dr. Hsu! He helped load my sub into my suv. He asked .. "this is your 2nd one? Dang you must love bass!" Lol... yes, yes I do!

Haven't had time to set it up, but expect both to pound.

I got two at the same time upgrading from a POS sub and was blown away when they first hit. I need to turn one off and see what a single really feels like and then turn the other back on.
HsuKevin and Ryan Statz like this.
post #8752 of 8780 Old 10-29-2019, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach250 View Post
I got two at the same time upgrading from a POS sub and was blown away when they first hit. I need to turn one off and see what a single really feels like and then turn the other back on.
I couldn't believe the difference when I set up my ULS-15 MK2 - compared to the Elac S10EQ I had, it was pretty mind-blowing.
galonzo and HsuKevin like this.

post #8753 of 8780 Old 10-29-2019, 10:03 PM

Just had time to play with the 2x vtf-3's and used REW to get things dialed in as much as I'm willing to do.

... I hate these subs... absolutely suck... makes the whole house shake... now I have to figure out how to fasten down the drywall better... stupid subs...I'm literally hearing shaking within the walls

Seriously though, these things are shaking my tv and mount. When bass hits, I can see the tv slightly shake.

Was running 1 Vtf-3 and an old 12" def tech. Ran the one vtf-3 at .5 / q1 /1 port open/ as I felt a lot of boominess and tried turning the q to compensate.

Now with both subs being vtf-3, I'm liking the .7 / q1 / 1 port open /much more. No more boominess... just straight bass and making the couch/ room vibrate like crazy

Alan P and galonzo like this.
post #8754 of 8780 Old 10-30-2019, 06:34 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x View Post
Just had time to play with the 2x vtf-3's and used REW to get things dialed in as much as I'm willing to do.

... I hate these subs... absolutely suck... makes the whole house shake... now I have to figure out how to fasten down the drywall better... stupid subs...I'm literally hearing shaking within the walls

Seriously though, these things are shaking my tv and mount. When bass hits, I can see the tv slightly shake.
Everyone here feels sorry for you. Not.
toy4x and galonzo like this.

post #8755 of 8780 Old 10-31-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anyone else with vtf3.5 having air leakage/noise issues from back of amp?
post #8756 of 8780 Old 10-31-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I have 2.. neither one leaks.

post #8757 of 8780 Old 11-04-2019, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Proud new owner of dual VTF-2's! They absolutely rock in my 14x18 media room!

xcjago, Tom C, galonzo and 2 others like this.

David
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002! Whoop!
post #8758 of 8780 Old 11-04-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidag02 View Post
Proud new owner of dual VTF-2's! They absolutely rock in my 14x18 media room!

Now you just need two more HSUs for behind the couch!
galonzo likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #8759 of 8780 Old 11-04-2019, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This question is on the old HSU 250 watt amplifiers sold with the TN-1220HO cylinder subs. Can anyone tell me how may major versions of the 250 watt amp were made? How can you differentiate between the revisions. I have what I beleive to be a 250 watt amp, but I'm trying to verify that for sure. It looks identical to the 150 watt amp externally (at least from pictures on the web). I purchased the amp and sub directly from HSU and I dont beleive they sold 150 watt amps with the TN-1220HO, but I'm not sure. Any identifiers I can look for internally? I know the amp was made in 1997 if that helps!
post #8760 of 8780 Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 AM

Hello everyone! Sorry for the late response I just got back this week and have some catching up to do.

Quote:
Can you give us a call, if you haven't already? I will have you talk to tech support. If the one you just received is air leaking from the amp, we'll take care of it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelrgalvin View Post
This question is on the old HSU 250 watt amplifiers sold with the TN-1220HO cylinder subs. Can anyone tell me how may major versions of the 250 watt amp were made? How can you differentiate between the revisions. I have what I beleive to be a 250 watt amp, but I'm trying to verify that for sure. It looks identical to the 150 watt amp externally (at least from pictures on the web). I purchased the amp and sub directly from HSU and I dont beleive they sold 150 watt amps with the TN-1220HO, but I'm not sure. Any identifiers I can look for internally? I know the amp was made in 1997 if that helps!
Can you post a picture of the amp? We never sold the 150w with the TN-1220HO.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page