***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 294 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1463Likes

post #8791 of 8828 Old 11-27-2019, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wanted to post a quick message to thank @HsuKevin for his help yesterday. I went by the showroom with an idea in mind of what I was looking for and he was very helpful in selecting a sub that matched what I was looking for/listening preferences etc.
Ended up with a VTF 15H Mk2 and it sounds great so far!
HsuKevin, Ryan Statz and drh3b like this.

Living Room - XBR77A9G / X800M2 / X4500H / Klipsch RP260F - RP-504C - R-41-SA (Atmos) - HSU VTF-15H MK2 - Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73-LR (Surrounds + Atmos)
Bedroom - 65VT30

Last edited by MrKyle; 11-27-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8792 of 8828 Old 11-27-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Kevin, if I order a plate amp for the ULS mk1, how long would it take to get to Brooklyn, NY?
post #8793 of 8828 Old 11-27-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyle View Post
Wanted to post a quick message to thank @HsuKevin for his help yesterday. I went by the showroom with an idea in mind of what I was looking for and he was very helpful in selecting a sub that matched what I was looking for/listening preferences etc.
I spoke with @HsuKevin on the phone today and he was extremely helpful. I am pulling the trigger with their sale going on and getting the VTF 15H Mk2 as well!

SDK Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8794 of 8828 Old 11-28-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Hello everyone! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixologics View Post
Any suggestions on aftermarket plate amplifier for this model?
Sorry to hear about the issue with your VTF-3 Mk2! I think you stopped by our office yesterday. But, if not, let me know and I'll be happy to assist you further.

Quote:
My pleasure, Kyle! Thanks so much for visiting us. Glad I was able to help you decide on a sub and that you are enjoying the VTF-15H MK2. Where did you end up placing it, out of curiosity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post
Kevin, if I order a plate amp for the ULS mk1, how long would it take to get to Brooklyn, NY?
To Brooklyn, NY it would take about 4 business days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alangsk View Post
I spoke with @HsuKevin on the phone today and he was extremely helpful. I am pulling the trigger with their sale going on and getting the VTF 15H Mk2 as well!
Thank you so much! Glad I was able to assist. Let me know if you have any further questions with setup, etc.
galonzo and MrKyle like this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #8795 of 8828 Old 11-28-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Hello everyone! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Happy Thanksgiving to you, your family and all the wonderful people at HSU!

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #8796 of 8828 Old 11-30-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:

My pleasure, Kyle! Thanks so much for visiting us. Glad I was able to help you decide on a sub and that you are enjoying the VTF-15H MK2. Where did you end up placing it, out of curiosity?
I ended up with it as close to the wall/couch as I could get for now - wife wasn't on board with moving couch out from the wall anymore

Been going through some movies over the past few days and it sounds great so far. One thing I did notice is that for some reason in Aquaman it is incredibly loud (almost too boomy) - I had MV at about -25 dB and the bass was still booming. Wondering if that is a product of the LFE track more than the settings as when I watched Pacific Rim this morning it sounded in line with the rest of the mix.

I can still pick up where the bass is coming from at times even after running Audyssey, any ideas on how to fix that?

hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	2647516  

Living Room - XBR77A9G / X800M2 / X4500H / Klipsch RP260F - RP-504C - R-41-SA (Atmos) - HSU VTF-15H MK2 - Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73-LR (Surrounds + Atmos)
Bedroom - 65VT30
post #8797 of 8828 Old 11-30-2019, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello fellow HSU owners.I have been enjoying my 2 VTF 15H subs for around 9 years now.I just noticed last night that one of my subs is not working.It powers up with green light on but no sound at all.Not even a hiss.I checked all my cables and then moved it over by the other one and hooked it up there.Still nothing.I suspect an amp issue but wanted to see what you guys have to say first.Does HSU even sell older sub amps or can they repair them?Can I maybe repair it?Thanks in advance,Mike.
post #8798 of 8828 Old 11-30-2019, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Kevin I have a vtf-2 mk5 that recently bought (I ordered the dual package) the one has blown 2 fuses now. I noticed yesterday the the bass was off so today I went to redo the calibration via my receiver and found out the subwoofer was not working. I checked the fuse first and it was burnt so I replaced it to see if it would be ok. The amp turned on no issue go through the calibration, about 4 hours later I was watching a movie and notice I could here the subwoofer making a lot of noise (imagine something scraping across the coil) I got up to turn it off and before i could get there it shut down with a blown fuse once again. Both subs share the same power source a Panamax M5400-PM. At the time I was watching the movie at moderate levels. At this point I am not sure what to do going forward and was wondering what the RMA procedure is.
post #8799 of 8828 Old 12-01-2019, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuht View Post
. At this point I am not sure what to do going forward and was wondering what the RMA procedure is.
Just contact HSU. If you're under warranty they'll most likely send you a new amp for you to swap out (it's not hard at all, and way easier than shipping the whole thing back).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.

Vizio P75-F1 | Denon AVR-S740H | Chane A1.5/A2.4 L/C/R | Boston VRS Micro Surrounds | HSU VTF2-Mk5 | HTPC (Win10, Red Dragon RX 5700 XT, Kodi, MPC-HC/MadVR) | PS4 | XBone
post #8800 of 8828 Old 12-01-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 66
***Official HSU owners/support thread!***

I was watching Alita battle Angel the other night with the family and I felt that the soundtrack pushed my single VTF 15H mk2 a little bit. Avr was at 0.0 dB lfe gain, volume on sub at 40-45%z. It sounded like what I would call clipping but maybe that’s just harshness that I’m hearing. My room is 30 x 20 with 9 foot ceilings and attached hallway and an attached stairwell, so it’s a pretty large area. I personally think I need a second sub but my wife is fighting me pretty hard on it. I don’t want particularly huge volume I just want that nice presence that’s super effortless.

Is a second sub going to solve my problem or would I be better off looking at REW software with a mini DSP?

This set up sounds fantastic normally and I’ve never felt that I pushed it too hard except with this movie now it has me wondering if dual subs is a better solution.

Thanks fellas.

Last edited by ruggercb; 12-01-2019 at 11:17 AM.
post #8801 of 8828 Old 12-01-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggercb View Post
I was watching Alita battle Angel the other night with the family and I felt that the soundtrack pushed my single VTF 15H mk2 a little bit. Avr was at 0.0 dB lfe gain, volume on sub at 40-45%z. It sounded like what I would call clipping but maybe that’s just harshness that I’m hearing. My room is 30 x 20 with 9 foot ceilings and attached hallway and an attached stairwell, so it’s a pretty large area. I personally think I need a second sub but my wife is fighting me pretty hard on it. I don’t want particularly huge volume I just want that nice presence that’s super effortless.

Is a second sub going to solve my problem or would I be better off looking at REW software with a mini DSP?

This set up sounds fantastic normally and I’ve never felt that I pushed it too hard except with this movie now it has me wondering if dual subs is a better solution.

Thanks fellas.
Try Blade Runner 2049. If that doesn't make it clip, nothing will.

Are you using any sort of equalization of the sub now?

Adding a second 15H would raise the potential headroom by 6dB (not 3dB). That's significant.
galonzo likes this.
post #8802 of 8828 Old 12-01-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Try Blade Runner 2049. If that doesn't make it clip, nothing will.

Are you using any sort of equalization of the sub now?

Adding a second 15H would raise the potential headroom by 6dB (not 3dB). That's significant.

I don’t think I’ve watched blade runner 2049 since I got this sub, next chance I get I will.

No other EQ besides audyssey, which always sets the sub super low. So, i adjusted it manually to 0 dB.

Something tells me I won’t regret getting a second sub.
post #8803 of 8828 Old 12-01-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I ended up with it as close to the wall/couch as I could get for now - wife wasn't on board with moving couch out from the wall anymore

Been going through some movies over the past few days and it sounds great so far. One thing I did notice is that for some reason in Aquaman it is incredibly loud (almost too boomy) - I had MV at about -25 dB and the bass was still booming. Wondering if that is a product of the LFE track more than the settings as when I watched Pacific Rim this morning it sounded in line with the rest of the mix.

I can still pick up where the bass is coming from at times even after running Audyssey, any ideas on how to fix that?

hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well!
Thanks! Aquaman has a bit more low end bass than Pacific Rim and the bass is higher in level from what I remember. It's likely what the LFE track contains. Some movies have significantly more bass than others. It could be that the sub is getting a lot of room gain in the lower bass that Aquaman excites, and PR may be lacking in. What you can do is use Q.3 to see if that tones it down a bit. If not, try EQ2. In terms of localization, what are your crossover set to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbruins2 View Post
Hello fellow HSU owners.I have been enjoying my 2 VTF 15H subs for around 9 years now.I just noticed last night that one of my subs is not working.It powers up with green light on but no sound at all.Not even a hiss.I checked all my cables and then moved it over by the other one and hooked it up there.Still nothing.I suspect an amp issue but wanted to see what you guys have to say first.Does HSU even sell older sub amps or can they repair them?Can I maybe repair it?Thanks in advance,Mike.
Strange. Have you tried swapping the amps? What I would do is unplug the amp power, remove the 12 perimeter screws around the edge of the amp, and that will allow you to take the plate amp out of the enclosure. Double check to make sure all the connections are secure, especially to the 15" driver. You may need to call in to speak to tech support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuht View Post
Kevin I have a vtf-2 mk5 that recently bought (I ordered the dual package) the one has blown 2 fuses now. I noticed yesterday the the bass was off so today I went to redo the calibration via my receiver and found out the subwoofer was not working. I checked the fuse first and it was burnt so I replaced it to see if it would be ok. The amp turned on no issue go through the calibration, about 4 hours later I was watching a movie and notice I could here the subwoofer making a lot of noise (imagine something scraping across the coil) I got up to turn it off and before i could get there it shut down with a blown fuse once again. Both subs share the same power source a Panamax M5400-PM. At the time I was watching the movie at moderate levels. At this point I am not sure what to do going forward and was wondering what the RMA procedure is.
Please call in on Monday to speak to tech support.

Quote:

Thanks fellas.
When did you purchase the VTF-15H MK2? What scene are you playing from Alita?
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8804 of 8828 Old 12-01-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Aquaman has a bit more low end bass than Pacific Rim and the bass is higher in level from what I remember. It's likely what the LFE track contains. Some movies have significantly more bass than others. It could be that the sub is getting a lot of room gain in the lower bass that Aquaman excites, and PR may be lacking in. What you can do is use Q.3 to see if that tones it down a bit. If not, try EQ2. In terms of localization, what are your crossover set to?
I’ll try changing the Q - right now I’ve got 1 port open Q .7 and EQ1
I’ve got my fronts/center at 80hz and I believe the LPF for LFE is at 120hz (whatever the AVR defaulted to)

Bedroom - 65VT30
post #8805 of 8828 Old 12-02-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:

Strange. Have you tried swapping the amps? What I would do is unplug the amp power, remove the 12 perimeter screws around the edge of the amp, and that will allow you to take the plate amp out of the enclosure. Double check to make sure all the connections are secure, especially to the 15" driver. You may need to call in to speak to tech support.

Please call in on Monday to speak to tech support.

When did you purchase the VTF-15H MK2? What scene are you playing from Alita?

9-18-17.

I can’t recall what scene it was for sure, kids were mad when I paused and turned the gain down. I think it was when she found out the doctor was a hunter warrior? It was an intense scene, hence why they were mad at me. Power has been out for three days or I’d check it right now.
post #8806 of 8828 Old 12-02-2019, 10:00 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2253 Post(s)
Liked: 3444
Quote:

Having something like REW to show you what the sub is doing will always be a good thing, but you are fighting against physics and it will always win I'm afraid; 5400 ft^3 is too large for a single VTF-15H to provide "nice presence that’s super effortless". If you really want an enveloping experience you would be better off with duals, assuming the wife agrees of course.
Alan P, Tom C, galonzo and 1 others like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #8807 of 8828 Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My thanks to Hsu HQ for tremendous customer service, just shockingly fast and personable. The kink in my ULS-15m2 has been ironed right out. Friendly patient folks!
HsuKevin likes this.
post #8808 of 8828 Old 12-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 337
So I went to go try my hand at going through the Volume Fine Tuning steps in the manual, but the provided CD doesn't work in any of my devices I think it's more that those devices don't support CDs, though. I would try to use my laptop, but I have no way of connecting it to my AVR, either.

Is there another way I can do this without using the provided disc? The instructions also are based off of an 80Hz crossover, but I have started using 100Hz across all of my speakers - I've found that the sound I get "feels" better. There are more sweeps under 100Hz than there are above, so what would I do to average out those readings apart from doing an average of 5 or so under 100Hz, and the 4 (I think) that are above 100Hz?

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #8809 of 8828 Old 12-03-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
9-18-17.

I can’t recall what scene it was for sure, kids were mad when I paused and turned the gain down. I think it was when she found out the doctor was a hunter warrior? It was an intense scene, hence why they were mad at me. Power has been out for three days or I’d check it right now.
We did have a chance to watch that scene today. It does have quite a bit of bass material to it for sure. We did run the sub pretty loud but it didn't clip. Sorry to hear about your power issues! Once you get that back up and running, try finding the exact scene and let me know and we'll try it again.
galonzo, ruggercb and MrKyle like this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8810 of 8828 Old 12-03-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
So I went to go try my hand at going through the Volume Fine Tuning steps in the manual, but the provided CD doesn't work in any of my devices I think it's more that those devices don't support CDs, though. I would try to use my laptop, but I have no way of connecting it to my AVR, either.

Is there another way I can do this without using the provided disc? The instructions also are based off of an 80Hz crossover, but I have started using 100Hz across all of my speakers - I've found that the sound I get "feels" better. There are more sweeps under 100Hz than there are above, so what would I do to average out those readings apart from doing an average of 5 or so under 100Hz, and the 4 (I think) that are above 100Hz?
If you just need the test tones, those are available for download on our site.

Not quite sure I understand the last question. Can you clarify? If you're looking to level match, then I would use a calibrated SPL meter to take the output readings above and below the crossover. The more readouts taken, the more accurate a representation.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8811 of 8828 Old 12-04-2019, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you just need the test tones, those are available for download on our site.

Not quite sure I understand the last question. Can you clarify? If you're looking to level match, then I would use a calibrated SPL meter to take the output readings above and below the crossover. The more readouts taken, the more accurate a representation.
Thanks, I'll download those tones, and see if my devices will see them on a USB stick.

I was going off of the steps in the manual under the volume fine tuning section, which says to average the readings of 4 tones above/below the crossover point. Would I simply ignore that part in the steps, and just average the readings of all tones below my crossover setting (since there would be more than 4), and compare with the average of the only 4 that are above my crossover setting then adjust the (I'm assuming) subwoofer trim in the AVR higher/lower based on the difference (if I am reading step 5 correctly)?

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #8812 of 8828 Old 12-04-2019, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was suggested that I repost this in the HSU forum regarding the status of my older STF-3

Full transparency, I know very little about how to troubleshoot subs.
I have an old HSU STF-3 sub in my HT. I can't seem to get any output from it aside from a light rumble sound when the volume is cranked to max on the back of the sub. I have this problem hooked up to both an older Onkyo TX-NR818 and my brand new Denon avr-x3600. During x3600 speaker setup tonight I could only hear a faint sound from the sub at full volume (Audessy setup said it was not loud enough, ie not 75db). I do think something is wrong with the sub (blown maybe). Anything tips to help troubleshoot what may be the issue here? Anyone else had the same problem? Thanks for the help.
post #8813 of 8828 Old 12-04-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I'll download those tones, and see if my devices will see them on a USB stick.

I was going off of the steps in the manual under the volume fine tuning section, which says to average the readings of 4 tones above/below the crossover point. Would I simply ignore that part in the steps, and just average the readings of all tones below my crossover setting (since there would be more than 4), and compare with the average of the only 4 that are above my crossover setting then adjust the (I'm assuming) subwoofer trim in the AVR higher/lower based on the difference (if I am reading step 5 correctly)?
Ah OK! Yea basically you can average as many of the tones below the crossover and as many above. The more measurements taken, the more accurate that average will be. More of just a personal opinion, but I would definitely put more emphasis on the 25 Hz on up. Certainly ultra low bass is important, but I find that the 25 Hz on up region is where you get the majority of the bass as that contains the impact/mid-bass punch and even the low end rumble. So if your SPL meter doesn't read 20 or 16 Hz that accurately, it's not the end of the world imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFUN View Post
It was suggested that I repost this in the HSU forum regarding the status of my older STF-3

Full transparency, I know very little about how to troubleshoot subs.
I have an old HSU STF-3 sub in my HT. I can't seem to get any output from it aside from a light rumble sound when the volume is cranked to max on the back of the sub. I have this problem hooked up to both an older Onkyo TX-NR818 and my brand new Denon avr-x3600. During x3600 speaker setup tonight I could only hear a faint sound from the sub at full volume (Audessy setup said it was not loud enough, ie not 75db). I do think something is wrong with the sub (blown maybe). Anything tips to help troubleshoot what may be the issue here? Anyone else had the same problem? Thanks for the help.
Sorry to hear that! If you have to turn your sub all the way up to get some output and it's mainly rumbling. You will likely need to send the plate amp in for us to look over. Another option would be to get the a replacement VTF amp so that opens up the possibility of using variable tuning and getting more ultra low bass output.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8814 of 8828 Old 12-05-2019, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I've been piecing together my first HT system for my new house over the past 3 months and spent the last few weeks on which subwoofer and how big. I finally pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered the VTF-3. I am super excited, as it's my first ever subwoofer purchase. I am set up for 7.1 surround and have been watching movies since I set it up last weekend but the bass has been absent so I am pumped to hear it once the sub arrives Tuesday.
Piker84, HsuKevin and Ryan Statz like this.
post #8815 of 8828 Old 12-05-2019, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ah OK! Yea basically you can average as many of the tones below the crossover and as many above. The more measurements taken, the more accurate that average will be. More of just a personal opinion, but I would definitely put more emphasis on the 25 Hz on up. Certainly ultra low bass is important, but I find that the 25 Hz on up region is where you get the majority of the bass as that contains the impact/mid-bass punch and even the low end rumble. So if your SPL meter doesn't read 20 or 16 Hz that accurately, it's not the end of the world imo.
Yeah, I'm not overly concerned with reaching bowel movement-inducing bass. I think I prefer tighter, faster, cleaner bass over big, rumbly, boomy bass.

I sort of half tried this out last night - didn't exactly do the part where you adjust the Master Volume on the AVR to read at 80dB running the 50Hz tone, but I wanted to see what readings I got with what my current settings are at the loudest MV level I generally listen at. The average of the tones below my crossover was around 74.8dB and the average above was about 74.3dB. I didn't count 16Hz or 20Hz tones into the averaging. My sub settings are: Q0.3, EQ1, Phase 0 degrees, volume knob set at the 9 o'clock mark. Speakers are crossed over at 100Hz across the board in my AVR (though I may switch it back to 80Hz, haven't fully decided on that yet). When I had run my AVR's room correction using the recommended Q0.7, EQ1, and 12 o'clock volume setting, it set the trim at 0dB - the rest of the speakers were either at 0dB or +1dB.

I'm not sure whether this would translate if I were to do the first step properly - I tried, and it was just *way* too loud for me to be comfortable doing it with my neighbour below, and I was getting far too much rattling/buzzing from things just in the room. I also didn't want to have the tone running too long for me to be able to walk around to figure out the exact source of that buzzing/rattling with that neighbour being below. I didn't really count 16Hz or 20Hz into the averaging.

I sort of discovered that (I think) my whole room has a null at the 50Hz mark because the readings on my SPL were far lower than the other tones (by around 10-17db). I'm not sure how this affects the first step as I would have to crank the volume up a lot higher than I probably should to hit the 80dB at my listening position (which is really only about 5-6 feet away from the speakers - the sub is only 2-3 feet to my left from where I usually sit) even if I set the volume knob on the sub at the 12 o'clock mark - it's largely why I was getting so much rattling/buzzing when I ran the one other test tone after adjusting the MV to read ~80dB for the 50Hz tone.

If you have any suggestions on any adjustments I could make to conduct the volume fine tuning at lower volume levels, I'm all ears (i.e. could I just use a lower benchmark when adjusting the MV running the 50Hz tone?). My room is pretty small (only 8' x 16' with an 8' ceiling) in a 900sqft apartment/condo.

post #8816 of 8828 Old 12-05-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Did you try flipping your phase switch and taking another reading at 50hz?
HsuKevin likes this.
post #8817 of 8828 Old 12-06-2019, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
I did not. I will try that in the morning.

post #8818 of 8828 Old 12-06-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Quote:
I did not. I will try that in the morning.
In my room, i noticed quite a difference in db levels between how my phase switch was set... Now, flipping it may end up negatively affecting some of your other frequencies... but typically you will find one setting gives you an overall more even response than the other.. this can also be affected by where you decide to set your crossover for your main speakers as well...
post #8819 of 8828 Old 12-06-2019, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In my room, i noticed quite a difference in db levels between how my phase switch was set... Now, flipping it may end up negatively affecting some of your other frequencies... but typically you will find one setting gives you an overall more even response than the other.. this can also be affected by where you decide to set your crossover for your main speakers as well...
Flipping the phase switch did cause the 50Hz readings to jump up by about 10dB, so I am going to keep it there - I was mistaken before, I had it set to 180 degrees when I did my little experiment the other day. Now it's set to 0 degrees.

I'll take another round of readings going through the proper steps later. Was planning on it today, but my other half came home early from work because she's sick, so I don't want to annoy her with all of this while she's trying to get some rest.

post #8820 of 8828 Old 12-06-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Woo View Post
I've been piecing together my first HT system for my new house over the past 3 months and spent the last few weeks on which subwoofer and how big. I finally pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered the VTF-3. I am super excited, as it's my first ever subwoofer purchase. I am set up for 7.1 surround and have been watching movies since I set it up last weekend but the bass has been absent so I am pumped to hear it once the sub arrives Tuesday.
Welcome to the Hsu family! Hope you enjoy your VTF-3 Mk5 HP. Feel free to ask any questions in regards to integration. There are quite a lot of knowledgeable folks here.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not overly concerned with reaching bowel movement-inducing bass. I think I prefer tighter, faster, cleaner bass over big, rumbly, boomy bass.

I sort of half tried this out last night - didn't exactly do the part where you adjust the Master Volume on the AVR to read at 80dB running the 50Hz tone, but I wanted to see what readings I got with what my current settings are at the loudest MV level I generally listen at. The average of the tones below my crossover was around 74.8dB and the average above was about 74.3dB. I didn't count 16Hz or 20Hz tones into the averaging. My sub settings are: Q0.3, EQ1, Phase 0 degrees, volume knob set at the 9 o'clock mark. Speakers are crossed over at 100Hz across the board in my AVR (though I may switch it back to 80Hz, haven't fully decided on that yet). When I had run my AVR's room correction using the recommended Q0.7, EQ1, and 12 o'clock volume setting, it set the trim at 0dB - the rest of the speakers were either at 0dB or +1dB.

I'm not sure whether this would translate if I were to do the first step properly - I tried, and it was just *way* too loud for me to be comfortable doing it with my neighbour below, and I was getting far too much rattling/buzzing from things just in the room. I also didn't want to have the tone running too long for me to be able to walk around to figure out the exact source of that buzzing/rattling with that neighbour being below. I didn't really count 16Hz or 20Hz into the averaging.

I sort of discovered that (I think) my whole room has a null at the 50Hz mark because the readings on my SPL were far lower than the other tones (by around 10-17db). I'm not sure how this affects the first step as I would have to crank the volume up a lot higher than I probably should to hit the 80dB at my listening position (which is really only about 5-6 feet away from the speakers - the sub is only 2-3 feet to my left from where I usually sit) even if I set the volume knob on the sub at the 12 o'clock mark - it's largely why I was getting so much rattling/buzzing when I ran the one other test tone after adjusting the MV to read ~80dB for the 50Hz tone.

If you have any suggestions on any adjustments I could make to conduct the volume fine tuning at lower volume levels, I'm all ears (i.e. could I just use a lower benchmark when adjusting the MV running the 50Hz tone?). My room is pretty small (only 8' x 16' with an 8' ceiling) in a 900sqft apartment/condo.
The 80 dB at 50 hz is mainly a reference point. You by no means have to use that. Just to clarify, you ran the measurements with the volume at 9 o'clock and you got roughly 75 dB above and below the crossover? When you turned the volume up to 12 o'clock, things started rattling and the bass was pretty loud? If so, what receiver are you running? I think 9 o'clock sounds a lot more of a likely setting than 12 for that kind of room. If the average below the crossover is 74-75 dB, I'm guessing that included the 50 Hz test tone with the dip. If so, what were the other output measurements taken below the crossover? Deano made a great suggestion with the phase switch. What I like to do is play the 50 Hz test tone on the receiver in a loop. Go into the speaker distance settings and start making slight adjustments and measure the output as you go. Level tends to go in a bell curve type pattern where, as you adjust, the level gradually increases and if you keep going in that direction, the level starts to drop. The distance setting that gets you the highest level, should be the setting to keep your sub and speakers in phase.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page