***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 297 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1505Likes

post #8881 of 8889 Old 01-12-2020, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 1783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypte View Post
I use one HB-1 Mk II on its side for the center. I rotated the tweeter 90 deg.
Good idea.

May have less "beaming" than an HC-1 (which is the traditional MTM configuration).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8882 of 8889 Old 01-12-2020, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 354
The response may be more asymmetrical when you move left to right, but it's certainly a good valid option to go with.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #8883 of 8889 Old 01-13-2020, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Whoops! Sorry about that. I did not catch the first part of that. You might need to turn it up more, but there are a lot of variables at play. Do you have a diagram of your room layout for the living room? If you still have the foam trays for the sub, you can try to place the sub on that to see if that makes a difference.
Still working on the diagram, I have a better idea of the placement of things in my head, so I should be able to draw something up. As far as cubic feet, I'm kind of going from 1024 cubic feet to ~5800-ish - 5920 cubic feet (that includes the space it'll be moved into, plus the dining area/kitchen, hallway, and the room it's currently in if we keep the French door open).

I figure I'll probably have to change the Q setting to either 0.5 or 0.7 since it's pretty much going into what is probably considered a large space. I'll decide on whether EQ1 or EQ2 is better afterwards.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8884 of 8889 Old 01-14-2020, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
simple man likes this.

Last edited by kushum; 01-15-2020 at 05:24 AM.
post #8885 of 8889 Old 01-16-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Still working on the diagram, I have a better idea of the placement of things in my head, so I should be able to draw something up. As far as cubic feet, I'm kind of going from 1024 cubic feet to ~5800-ish - 5920 cubic feet (that includes the space it'll be moved into, plus the dining area/kitchen, hallway, and the room it's currently in if we keep the French door open).

I figure I'll probably have to change the Q setting to either 0.5 or 0.7 since it's pretty much going into what is probably considered a large space. I'll decide on whether EQ1 or EQ2 is better afterwards.
No worries on the diagram. No rush. Happy to help. You'll probably end up setting it to EQ1 still. Usually I only recommend EQ 2 if you're planning on using it as a mid-bass module or if you're getting a lot of room gain in the low bass, but that's not as likely to happen in the larger area. Q depends on room and where you're seated as well. I would say that a lot of our customers do like setting 0.5, but each situation is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushum View Post
... Hi there!
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8886 of 8889 Old 01-16-2020, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No worries on the diagram. No rush. Happy to help. You'll probably end up setting it to EQ1 still. Usually I only recommend EQ 2 if you're planning on using it as a mid-bass module or if you're getting a lot of room gain in the low bass, but that's not as likely to happen in the larger area. Q depends on room and where you're seated as well. I would say that a lot of our customers do like setting 0.5, but each situation is different.

Here's a rough diagram on what the layout will be when I move everything over - I've highlighted the speaker placements (as a note, the front LR and LR surrounds will be rotated towards the listening position). The dark grey are areas I am not considering in the overall cubic feet. The thinner lines along the left side of the diagram represents either a patio door or a window. The object up and to the right of where the couch will be located in where I plan on setting up my dedicated music are - those notches will be wall-mounted KEF Q150s. There is an empty room, but that's only because I have no idea how things will be placed inside that room. Also, there may end up being a lounge chair in that bottom left corner if it'll fit without anything interfering with each other. Scale may not be 100% accurate, but I think it's within 6".

I am certain I'll end up bumping the Q to 0.5 with EQ switch left at EQ1 (right now it's Q0.3, EQ1). My guess is I'll have to turn the volume on the ULS-15 to around the 10-11 o'clock mark, but we'll see.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 01-16-2020 at 10:57 PM.
post #8887 of 8889 Old 01-17-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post

Here's a rough diagram on what the layout will be when I move everything over - I've highlighted the speaker placements (as a note, the front LR and LR surrounds will be rotated towards the listening position). The dark grey are areas I am not considering in the overall cubic feet. The thinner lines along the left side of the diagram represents either a patio door or a window. The object up and to the right of where the couch will be located in where I plan on setting up my dedicated music are - those notches will be wall-mounted KEF Q150s. There is an empty room, but that's only because I have no idea how things will be placed inside that room. Also, there may end up being a lounge chair in that bottom left corner if it'll fit without anything interfering with each other. Scale may not be 100% accurate, but I think it's within 6".

I am certain I'll end up bumping the Q to 0.5 with EQ switch left at EQ1 (right now it's Q0.3, EQ1). My guess is I'll have to turn the volume on the ULS-15 to around the 10-11 o'clock mark, but we'll see.
Yea that looks good. I would keep the sub in the front right (bottom left in the diagram) corner. I know you said you were going to put a chair there. Not a big deal, but moving it closer could give you a bit more boundary gain. How far would you be from the TV wall, and how far would you be from the wall right behind you? How tall is your ceiling in that room?
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #8888 of 8889 Old 01-17-2020, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea that looks good. I would keep the sub in the front right (bottom left in the diagram) corner. I know you said you were going to put a chair there. Not a big deal, but moving it closer could give you a bit more boundary gain. How far would you be from the TV wall, and how far would you be from the wall right behind you? How tall is your ceiling in that room?
There's a good chance that I will pull the sub a little closer so that the face is more in line with the edge of the area rug, and maybe push it a little bit closer towards the TV cabinet. The chair in the corner is only a possibility, we don't really know whether that'll happen. It all depends on the space we have left, I haven't really measured the dimensions of the chair, so it might end up to the left or right of the coffee table. There is a tall cat tree that I did not include in that diagram, but it can pretty much go wherever.

Our heads would be positioned roughly 6 feet from the TV wall - it'd be the same exact distance as it is right now. The back of the couch to the wall behind is basically 4 feet (around 44-45"). Ceiling is 8 feet high in the entire condo.

post #8889 of 8889 Old 01-18-2020, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
The response may be more asymmetrical when you move left to right, but it's certainly a good valid option to go with.
In our situation, it hasn't been an issue. But it meant that at one point I ordered one HB-1 rather than two, which probably would have been Hsu Research's preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page