***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 319 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1950Likes

post #9541 of 9549 Old 06-28-2020, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Out of curiosity, how did audyssey set the sub distance? You're getting quite a dip at 100 Hz or so. Do you have space in the back corner for a sub?

There could be a few reasons why it sounded weaker there. Did you ever check the settings on the distance correction? Jim is absolutely correct in that moving closer to the back wall, can certainly cause a more irregular response as it may boost certain frequencies over the other. It really depends on the wall structure, so in your room, being up against the back wall may actually improve the performance depending. Each room is different. Of course if you're more focused on music and you're not terribly concerned with the ultra low bass, then nearfield may still be fine. In terms of how you orient them, it might not make too much of a difference there. Moving the VTF-2 Mk5 right behind you may not give as smooth of a response as it would be in the corner, but it may give you more tactile feel being right behind you. I would say that if you want to maximize the performance out of both subs, you probably want to gain match. You can keep the VTF-2 MK5 about 5-6 dB less than the VTF-15H Mk2 in the same position.

You generally want to keep your floor standers set to small crossover around 80 Hz. Did you try listening to the warble tones on the test CD? What are your room dimensions and where are you seated in there?
It is a 14’ x 14’ ish foot room. I am seated four or so feet from back wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 9549 Old 06-29-2020, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Out of curiosity, how did audyssey set the sub distance? You're getting quite a dip at 100 Hz or so. Do you have space in the back corner for a sub?

It set them @ 9.1 and 9.2 ft...so pretty much equal distance.

I do have a spot in the rear corner but it would be on the riser...so ~18inches higher than the front.

I flipped the phase switch on the subs to 180 and that seemed to smooth it out but I still see the massive dip....FYI I run the sweeps with FR (@60hz)+Subs.
post #9543 of 9549 Old 06-29-2020, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

I do have a spot in the rear corner but it would be on the riser...so ~18inches higher than the front.

I flipped the phase switch on the subs to 180 and that seemed to smooth it out but I still see the massive dip....FYI I run the sweeps with FR (@60hz)+Subs.

Flip the phase only on one of the subs. Have one at 0, and the other at 180.
spyboy likes this.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9544 of 9549 Old 06-30-2020, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:

To get optimal sub alignment you might have to manually change one of the sub distance settings in Audyssey. You may very well be off somewhere in the 90 degree range and the 0-180 switch won't get you to optimal.
HsuKevin likes this.

Front: Polk S55
Center: Polk S30
Rear: Polk S10
Sub: P̶L̶-̶2̶0̶0̶I̶I̶ | (̶2̶)̶ ̶F̶V̶X̶1̶2̶ | V1812
AVR: Denon AVR-X3500H
post #9545 of 9549 Old 06-30-2020, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickflair View Post
I am in the process of building my first ever HT system and was curious what is suggested for the tuning of my HSU sub.

A/V Receiver: Denon 3500h
Mains: Emotiva T1+
Center: Emotiva C2+
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5
Rears: Micca MB42

System will be used 60% Music 40% TV/Movies/Sports

I listen to all types of music. Classic rock, hip-hop, country, alternative, jazz, ect

Room is large at about 27' X 28'5" (see the horrible not to scale drawing I tried to make)

I have not ran Audyssey yet, but plan to do so when I get the center speaker in.
Currently running the sub at:
50% volume
EQ1
Only 4in port open
Q control just past .5 (so we will say about .55) Looking to see what is suggested for a large room like mine to get well rounded sound. Deep lows, but also able to handle kick drums and also sound good with movies. It currently sounds very good, but interested to see what other suggestions are out there without going to deep down the rabbit hole.
Hi there,

That's a bit harder to pin down because it's ultimately how your room acoustics is impacting the sub. I think that should be fine. If you are looking to improve something in particular, I can try to work with that to make a recommendation on settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenicholas02 View Post
It is a 14’ x 14’ ish foot room. I am seated four or so feet from back wall.
Have you ever tried turning off one of the subs (the one in the back) while you are listening at your MLP? Did you feel the deeper bass return?

Quote:

Did the dip switch to a different frequency or was it still the same? As badtlc, it could be that you need to make a slight adjustment with the distance correction to get them more in phase with the speakers. Are you able to play a track from a cd while making adjustments to distance on the fly?
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #9546 of 9549 Old 07-01-2020, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:

Did the dip switch to a different frequency or was it still the same? As badtlc, it could be that you need to make a slight adjustment with the distance correction to get them more in phase with the speakers. Are you able to play a track from a cd while making adjustments to distance on the fly?
Here is my latest "EQ'd" w/MiniDSP measurement...ended up with both subs phase switch at 180 (this got rid of the dip I was seeing wherever the crossover to mains was). Played around with moving the subs a few inches forward for where I had them. Unsmoothed show two dips @ ~142hz and ~178hz but extremely narrow and not massive like it used to be. I followed video guide on doing EQ w/House Curve.

Still would like to smooth out the area 60 & 80hz some...but slowly getting there.

As I mentioned before I currently have both subs w/1 port open, EQ1, Q 0.7. Do you think I should try other combos?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	2751530  
post #9547 of 9549 Old 07-02-2020, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Here is my latest "EQ'd" w/MiniDSP measurement...ended up with both subs phase switch at 180 (this got rid of the dip I was seeing wherever the crossover to mains was). Played around with moving the subs a few inches forward for where I had them. Unsmoothed show two dips @ ~142hz and ~178hz but extremely narrow and not massive like it used to be. I followed video guide on doing EQ w/House Curve.

Still would like to smooth out the area 60 & 80hz some...but slowly getting there.

As I mentioned before I currently have both subs w/1 port open, EQ1, Q 0.7. Do you think I should try other combos?

Thanks
One note on the MiniDSP side - you don't need to do anything with the phase switch on the subs with that - just leave both at 180 or 0 and you can invert the subs with the buttons on the output of the miniDSP.

I wouldn't worry about anything above 120hz assuming you have LPF for LFE at 120hz and crossing your speakers at 80hz.

Looks like you are making progress!

Living Room - XBR77A9G / X800M2 / X4500H / ATV4K
Klipsch RF-7 iii - RC-64 iii - 4x CDT 5650 II - 2x R-5800 W II
2x HSU VTF-15H Mk2 / miniDSP 2x4HD

Bedroom - 65VT30
post #9548 of 9549 Old 07-07-2020, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:

Thanks
Since you have the minidsp, that will do a lot of what I would recommend in terms of settings. One thing that is noticeable is that you have a pretty large boost in the ultra deep bass, so usually I would recommend going with EQ2 and possibly 2 ports open. If you can go with 2 ports open, EQ2, and still get very similar extension out of it, then that's gold because you get to take advantage of the room gain and give you better performance of two ports open mode (better clean headroom, two ports moving the air so less port noise and compression). It's worth trying it out if you haven't already. The other thing I wanted to ask was weather you are able to at least temporarily try one in the back corner. I was looking over your previous posts, and I saw that as an option (though not ideal for you) but not sure if that was actually tried. I'm looking at that 40 Hz dip and trying to figure out if there is another option that may help you in filling that out. That's a pretty good range for boosting around 7 dB, so finding a better placement to fill that in will help a lot in giving you better dynamic range/clean headroom.
galonzo likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #9549 of 9549 Old 07-09-2020, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Vtf-3 mk5

I just finished my 1st calibration (1st of many I am sure) of the VTF-3 MK5 and holy cow! This thing is a beast as well as a subtle lamb depending on what you throw at it. The movie Deepwater Horizon sounded like a different movie. It is a new sensation to be able to feel the bass as well as hear it. The 1st big explosion in the movie where the explosions cascade down the room is felt 1st and then comes in with deep precise gut level booms and then the sharp tight ricochets of the shrapnel flying around. Awesome!

It does take a little getting used to having the lower frequencies now audible compared to the old Millenia's I had which dropped like a rock at 60Hz. It is similar in some aspects to my old sealed ULS-15 MK-2 but seems to go deeper and with a bit more oomph. It is bigger! Definitely as clean and tight as the ULS 15. The best part is all of the tuning options this sub offers. I can run it as if sealed or open both ports and let it rip.

I am going to do some REW sweeps this weekend and I will post them. This is a very cool Sub woofer!

PG55
Sorny, Tom C, galonzo and 3 others like this.

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Speakers-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofer-VTF-3 MK5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page