Official Outlaw Owners thread - Page 257 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7681 of 7700 Old 05-24-2019, 01:04 PM
Member
 
ed126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I currently have a single sub set up with a 8 year old outlaw audio LFM-1 Plus and I am looking to go dual subs. I like the outlaw sub, but wouldn’t say I love it. No particular complaints, but also no significant loyalty to the brand. My two upgrade options are to add a second sub - likely would be the outlaw x12 as the lfm is no longer made. Similar sub to my current one but not identical, a little bit of an upgrade. I am aware that this has been briefly covered a couple years ago, another individual did go this route and seemed pleased.

the other option would be to get a new matching set of 2 subs (outlaw x12 or other) and to sell my current lfm 1 plus locally.

Would it be expected that the lfm plus and x12 would be a good to excellent pairing where I wouldn’t be diminishing the returns on dual subs or am I better off starting with a fresh pair? Also given that my current sub is 8 years old. I spoke to outlaw and they recommended adding an x12 and that it would be a good match.

I know there aren’t going to be any absolute answers to this, but looking for some opinions and thoughts. Thanks in advance!
ed126 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7682 of 7700 Old 05-25-2019, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MechanicalMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
No Memorial Day sale this year?
MechanicalMan is offline  
post #7683 of 7700 Old 05-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
Cla55clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arvada, Colorado (Denver area)
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post
No Memorial Day sale this year?
I was hoping. Next time the x13 goes on sale I'm picking one up.
Cla55clown is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7684 of 7700 Old 05-27-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed126 View Post
I currently have a single sub set up with a 8 year old outlaw audio LFM-1 Plus and I am looking to go dual subs. I like the outlaw sub, but wouldn’t say I love it. No particular complaints, but also no significant loyalty to the brand. My two upgrade options are to add a second sub - likely would be the outlaw x12 as the lfm is no longer made. Similar sub to my current one but not identical, a little bit of an upgrade. I am aware that this has been briefly covered a couple years ago, another individual did go this route and seemed pleased.

the other option would be to get a new matching set of 2 subs (outlaw x12 or other) and to sell my current lfm 1 plus locally.

Would it be expected that the lfm plus and x12 would be a good to excellent pairing where I wouldn’t be diminishing the returns on dual subs or am I better off starting with a fresh pair? Also given that my current sub is 8 years old. I spoke to outlaw and they recommended adding an x12 and that it would be a good match.

I know there aren’t going to be any absolute answers to this, but looking for some opinions and thoughts. Thanks in advance!

since they have the same port tune and similar output i think adding one X12 makes sense.

when i went from one x12 to duals it made an incredible difference!... you'll love it

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #7685 of 7700 Old 05-30-2019, 08:57 PM
Member
 
ed126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for your response and thoughts. I’ll plan on adding the x12 when they next go on sale.
ed126 is offline  
post #7686 of 7700 Old 06-06-2019, 09:08 AM
Member
 
Travis Prange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey all,

My LFM-1 EX had some major power surge recently and I'm debating sending the amp for repair/replacement, or potentially looking at replacing the whole sub. Any suggestions for someone who has gone through a similar issue or situation of replacing the 1EX with another Outlaw or something else?

Unfortunately this surge zapped some of my other theater equipment too, so I'm out of commission for a while until I can get the electrical sorted out and equipment repaired or replaced. Ugh!

Thanks in advance for any pointers, I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to subs and bought the same model my BIL had, which I've loved.
Travis Prange is offline  
post #7687 of 7700 Old 06-07-2019, 04:46 PM
Member
 
Uber Archetype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Prange View Post
My LFM-1 EX had some major power surge recently and I'm debating....
I hate it when that happens! You might feel a bit less unfortunate reading my blog post about the lightning strike at our neighbor's house last year.

System: Multiple
Brands: Too many to mention
Great Sound: Everywhere, all the time!
Uber Archetype is offline  
post #7688 of 7700 Old 08-27-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MechanicalMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy an X13 during the Labor Day sale. I was hoping for a lower price on one of these, but I'm tired of waiting.
MechanicalMan is offline  
post #7689 of 7700 Old 08-28-2019, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy an X13 during the Labor Day sale. I was hoping for a lower price on one of these, but I'm tired of waiting.
$1299 free shipping is a good deal for a great sub. The only other subwoofer i recommend looking at is the Monolith 15 (*IF you have the space for it lol)

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #7690 of 7700 Old 08-28-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MechanicalMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
$1299 free shipping is a good deal for a great sub. The only other subwoofer i recommend looking at is the Monolith 15 (*IF you have the space for it lol)
Yeah, I've ruled it out based mostly on size. It won't fit in my preferred location.
MechanicalMan is offline  
post #7691 of 7700 Old 08-28-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post
Yeah, I've ruled it out based mostly on size. It won't fit in my preferred location.
Yeah the Monolith 15 is Monster that's pretty much reserved for a dedicated HT room(for most, when you factor in WAF).

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #7692 of 7700 Old 11-13-2019, 05:54 AM
Member
 
rkaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big Canoe, Georgia USA
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Repair or Replace LFM-1 subwoofer

My LFM-1 Is in excellent condition; but the amp apparently died.
I can send the amplifier to Outlaw Audio; and they will repair for less than $100.

Should I repair or replace?

Thanks.
rkaz is offline  
post #7693 of 7700 Old 11-13-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaz View Post
My LFM-1 Is in excellent condition; but the amp apparently died.
I can send the amplifier to Outlaw Audio; and they will repair for less than $100.

Should I repair or replace?

Thanks.
definitely repair, a comparable subwoofer still cost $500-$600

adding an x12 (on sale atm) for a dual setup wouldn't be a bad idea either

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #7694 of 7700 Old 12-17-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 438
https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/cmny2019.html

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #7695 of 7700 Old 01-08-2020, 11:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I’ve heard of Outlaw for many years, primarily for their amps and the LFM of years past. I bought HT equipment probably 15 years ago, that’s how long I’ve been lurking on this site. I went small when I bought my sub, it was a B&W. Back then the big is boomy and small is musical was the common thought. So I went with a 10” ASW 600. It sounded fine, but never had the size or power to really shake the room. So finally getting around to upgrading.

Good to see the same names around like SVS and Hsu and Outlaw. I was going to go big, looking at the larger 15” and 18” offerings.

Then I wondered if now was a good time to try duals. With the Christmas sale, a pair of X-12 for $1k shipped sure looked like a good start. From 10” of speaker to 24”! FedEx dropped them off a week after ordering.

I’ve got one open so far, just couldn’t resist getting first listen. I’ll add thoughts in subsequent posts.
LVS, RayGuy and macgallant like this.
Hooligan2020 is offline  
post #7696 of 7700 Old 01-09-2020, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2020 View Post
I’ve heard of Outlaw for many years, primarily for their amps and the LFM of years past. I bought HT equipment probably 15 years ago, that’s how long I’ve been lurking on this site. I went small when I bought my sub, it was a B&W. Back then the big is boomy and small is musical was the common thought. So I went with a 10” ASW 600. It sounded fine, but never had the size or power to really shake the room. So finally getting around to upgrading.

Good to see the same names around like SVS and Hsu and Outlaw. I was going to go big, looking at the larger 15” and 18” offerings.

Then I wondered if now was a good time to try duals. With the Christmas sale, a pair of X-12 for $1k shipped sure looked like a good start. From 10” of speaker to 24”! FedEx dropped them off a week after ordering.

I’ve got one open so far, just couldn’t resist getting first listen. I’ll add thoughts in subsequent posts.
I've been loving my dual X12's in my 5000 cu.ft. room. I have to run them in max output mode though.

how big is your room?

looking forward to your feedback

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #7697 of 7700 Old 01-09-2020, 11:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Room is not quite square, about 19x21x8, around 3200 cu ft. From MLP to the right is a fireplace, about mid wall. To the left is a sliding glass door to outside, about mid wall. In front left corner is a pocket door to the kitchen. The MLP is offset to the right on account of the door in left corner. House is pier and beam, with about 3 feet of crawlspace below this room. Floor is hardwood laminate, no carpet.

Luckily WAF is not an issue, she was listening to new sub and wanted me to crank the bass.

I put it on max extension for now, we’ll see if it’s needed with the wood floor. I will say, at first listen I didn’t know the room had so many rattles! My equipment sits on a shelf system with glass shelfs. I will need to change that. This is definitely lower tune than the ASW 600. Which I recall brochures have at mid-20s.
Hooligan2020 is offline  
post #7698 of 7700 Old 01-10-2020, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2020 View Post
Room is not quite square, about 19x21x8, around 3200 cu ft. From MLP to the right is a fireplace, about mid wall. To the left is a sliding glass door to outside, about mid wall. In front left corner is a pocket door to the kitchen. The MLP is offset to the right on account of the door in left corner. House is pier and beam, with about 3 feet of crawlspace below this room. Floor is hardwood laminate, no carpet.

Luckily WAF is not an issue, she was listening to new sub and wanted me to crank the bass.

I put it on max extension for now, we’ll see if it’s needed with the wood floor. I will say, at first listen I didn’t know the room had so many rattles! My equipment sits on a shelf system with glass shelfs. I will need to change that. This is definitely lower tune than the ASW 600. Which I recall brochures have at mid-20s.



I built myself some isolation pads for my X12's


MDF/acoustic foam/MDF wrapped in carpet and i used black yoga blocks as feet (100% stealth lol) this took care of a lot of vibrations.


Dual X12's will provide plenty of bass in the 3200 cu.ft. room!

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #7699 of 7700 Old 01-13-2020, 10:29 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
I built myself some isolation pads for my X12's


MDF/acoustic foam/MDF wrapped in carpet and i used black yoga blocks as feet (100% stealth lol) this took care of a lot of vibrations.


Dual X12's will provide plenty of bass in the 3200 cu.ft. room!
Holy smokes! Only have one sub hooked up so far, and it’s just sort of in a corner, have not done any SPL testing or anything.

With the raised wood floor, this shakes half the house! I hardly had volume up and dang. Watched Aquaman. I’m not sure the room can handle it. It knocked Legos off the shelf, a remote also fell. This thing was rocking! Aquaman has some pulsing sounds and this was causing the room door to have some serious vibes. I will for sure need to clear off shelf’s, get a new AV shelf and put something on the door.

Still can’t speak to the sound since I don’t have much to compare it to. I was expecting more bass compared to the 10” ASW, but wasn’t ready for this. Much lower frequency response, more “sound”. Don’t know how to explain that, but it’s not higher volume but more filling sound.

I did put a few CDs in, it really fills in the lower end. Have to turn volume on the sub way down to get it to disappear. However, I did put some R&B tracks on then was able to open this baby up. Wow.

I’ve gotta try max output mode, don’t think I need the extension!

This is fun!

AVR-Rotel RSX-1056
No name DVD player (will upgrade in 2020)
B&W LCR 600 center
B&W DM 604 S3, fronts
Outlaw Audio Ultra X-12, times two!
Hooligan2020 is offline  
post #7700 of 7700 Old 01-14-2020, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2020 View Post
Holy smokes! Only have one sub hooked up so far, and it’s just sort of in a corner, have not done any SPL testing or anything.

With the raised wood floor, this shakes half the house! I hardly had volume up and dang. Watched Aquaman. I’m not sure the room can handle it. It knocked Legos off the shelf, a remote also fell. This thing was rocking! Aquaman has some pulsing sounds and this was causing the room door to have some serious vibes. I will for sure need to clear off shelf’s, get a new AV shelf and put something on the door.

Still can’t speak to the sound since I don’t have much to compare it to. I was expecting more bass compared to the 10” ASW, but wasn’t ready for this. Much lower frequency response, more “sound”. Don’t know how to explain that, but it’s not higher volume but more filling sound.

I did put a few CDs in, it really fills in the lower end. Have to turn volume on the sub way down to get it to disappear. However, I did put some R&B tracks on then was able to open this baby up. Wow.

I’ve gotta try max output mode, don’t think I need the extension!

This is fun!





are you using max extension or max output mode?


just wait until you get the second one hooked up!

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off