Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 332 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #9931 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Great pictures & congratulations! Really nice set up you have going

Sony 75X940E JTR 110HT, Single 8HT, Captivator 1400 Denon X4200W Sony X800M2 ATV4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

Now THAT'S how to show off your system, lilmike2069! Looks great, man. Keep us updated on what you think of the Sentinels.

BTW, while 38% from the front or back wall is the ideal place for seating, if you're smack in the middle now, moving even a foot or two either way might make a pretty substantial difference. It's worth a thought.

Where did you get the 38% number? I'm not saying its wrong but just wondering.

Driving to Epik in less than 6hours
post #9933 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterColin View Post

http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9934 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I know Ethan Winer at RealTraps recommends it (and he's certainly spent enough time researching acoustics )

I'm pretty darn close to 38% with my setup. Not perfect, but in my tiny room I'm glad to be fortunate enough to end up as close as I am.
post #9935 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I know Ethan Winer at RealTraps recommends it (and he's certainly spent enough time researching acoustics )

i beat ya to it.

anyway.... this rule proved itself in my room. when i read this i measured and i was at about 40% then i said "lets get that extra 2%". i moved my couch up about 8 inches and BAM immediate improvement in the overall sound. the biggest difference for me was in the mid-bass area. REW showed a huge improvement in mid bass response after moving my couch just 8 inches forward.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
post #9936 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

i beat ya to it.

anyway.... this rule proved itself in my room. when i read this i measured and i was at about 40% then i said "lets get that extra 2%". i moved my couch up about 8 inches and BAM immediate improvement in the overall sound. the biggest difference for me was in the mid-bass area. REW showed a huge improvement in mid bass response after moving my couch just 8 inches forward.

LOL, indeed you did. Being close to or exactly at 38% really does make a difference. The common thought many people have is to try to be right in the middle of a room. They figure it's the most "symmetrical" so it will sound the best. Unfortunately, it puts them smack in the middle of a bass vacuum. Of course, sitting along room boundaries has the opposite effect. I don't know the mathematical explanation for it, but the 38% rule works!
post #9937 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

LOL, indeed you did. Being close to or exactly at 38% really does make a difference. The common thought many people have is to try to be right in the middle of a room. They figure it's the most "symmetrical" so it will sound the best. Unfortunately, it puts them smack in the middle of a bass vacuum. Of course, sitting along room boundaries has the opposite effect. I don't know the mathematical explanation for it, but the 38% rule works!

i'm right at 38% lengthwise but i'm right in the middle between the two sidewalls. i know 38% in all three directions is best, but if you don't center yourself and your speakers between the sidewalls then your imaging can really suffer.

Ethan actually revised that article after i made that point to him. he says: "Likewise, while left-right symmetry is important for proper imaging, you could optionally offset your listening position a few inches to either side to avoid being exactly halfway between the left and right side walls."

in my room it seems if i don't center my speakers (meaning having each one the same distance from the side walls) and sit dead center, imaging really suffers. the stage gets pulled to one side. i'll take the hit to gain better staging.

post #9938 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I'm about 6 inches off center and imaging is excellent. This was more a product of getting lucky with my room layout as much as anything, though. I'm fortunate the soundstage doesn't gravitate toward one side or the other.
post #9939 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 12:45 PM

Wow. This i never knew. maybe i'll move my seats away from the wall a bit. 2.5hrs till Epik.
post #9940 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 135
got the phoenix today and the cubed beast is hooked up! i ran the mcacc calibration and it set my subwoofer to +3.0 db. i set the trim at 10 to 10:30. i think i will rerun it with the trim bumped up a bit more. i'd rather have the avr setting closer to 0 db. i haven't had a chance to open it up yet - just played some music. that sucka is big
post #9941 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 05:53 PM

Trying to set up my Sub and I can't get it to work. THe epik amp has a LFE and Crossover spot. Is it ok to just have it pluged into the LFE? I'm not getting any output.

Edit: lol... NM Figured it out
post #9942 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Ha! That sucka IS BIG!

Congrats! Crank it!
post #9943 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Trying to set up my Sub and I can't get it to work. THe epik amp has a LFE and Crossover spot. Is it ok to just have it pluged into the LFE? I'm not getting any output.

Edit: lol... NM Figured it out

So, did you meet the man?
post #9944 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

So, did you meet the man?

I did. He was a nice guy. We were both in a bit of a hurry so we didn't have much time to chat but yeah.

My tv just says "Calculating. . ." :-) Almost there.

BTW I picked up a Cable from Monoprice for the sub. Its nice stuff. Very thick and seems heavy duty.
post #9945 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I did. He was a nice guy. We were both in a bit of a hurry so we didn't have much time to chat but yeah.

My tv just says "Calculating. . ." :-) Almost there.

BTW I picked up a Cable from Monoprice for the sub. Its nice stuff. Very thick and seems heavy duty.

Cool! Monoprice & Blue Jeans Cable rule. I'm going to do all my tweeking and set-up tomorrow & then watch the new Star Trek movie. What is your receiver? Where are you located?
post #9946 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 08:52 PM

I'm running a Onkyo 805 and i'm in Downers Grove right next to the Main St BNSF Metra station.

I got it all setup but I think I need to try some different places. Its next to my listening position right now due to being in an apartment and wanting it to stay quiet.

I put in Black Hawk Down bluray and watched a little bit. It wasn't crazy bass form what I watched but it is very different. At the current point I feel like I am having trouble with it blending in. I can hear where it is pretty easily.

My left and right go down pretty low so I may drop the Xover to like 60hz an see how that goes (I have Swan Diva 6.1s). Otherwise It just needs some breaking in.

As for video games, I played some MW2 tonight and explosions sound way different. I can feel them. :-)

I went from a 5.0 to 5.1 so I love it but it needs some break in and some more fine tuning I think.
post #9947 of 21031 Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm running a Onkyo 805 and i'm in Downers Grove right next to the Main St BNSF Metra station.

I got it all setup but I think I need to try some different places. Its next to my listening position right now due to being in an apartment and wanting it to stay quiet.

I put in Black Hawk Down bluray and watched a little bit. It wasn't crazy bass form what I watched but it is very different. At the current point I feel like I am having trouble with it blending in. I can hear where it is pretty easily.

My left and right go down pretty low so I may drop the Xover to like 60hz an see how that goes (I have Swan Diva 6.1s). Otherwise It just needs some breaking in.

As for video games, I played some MW2 tonight and explosions sound way different. I can feel them. :-)

I went from a 5.0 to 5.1 so I love it but it needs some break in and some more fine tuning I think.

try putting the sub up front next to the mains. that will help it blend in.

post #9948 of 21031 Old 11-20-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Placement will make or break a good sub.
post #9949 of 21031 Old 11-20-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

try putting the sub up front next to the mains. that will help it blend in.

I think I may try that but I just don't wanna have to run the setup again... That takes forever and its hard to do in my apartment cause if a train comes by it ruins it. (happens often)
post #9950 of 21031 Old 11-20-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

are front speakers set to large or small? if large, change them to small and have a listen.
post #9951 of 21031 Old 11-20-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

are front speakers set to large or small? if large, change them to small and have a listen.

They are set to small and all xovered at 80hz.
post #9952 of 21031 Old 11-20-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I spent some time this afternoon calibrating the subs to the rest of my speakers and Wow! What a difference. These Sentinels kick ass! I tested out with some Iron Man & The Dark Knight I picked up Star Trek and can't wait to watch tonight. I'm a happy camper
post #9953 of 21031 Old 11-20-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ok, so i've been listening to music (mostly sacd's and dvd-a's) just to get the feel for the new sub and give it some break in time. i could tell whenever i there was a bass heavy note that the sub was just handling it with ease - very clean and effortless. so tonite i couldn't resist any longer and had to sample some movie scenes. the first one i watched was the pod racer scene in star wars phantom of the menace. i like to play the thx thing at the beginning where they show this electric ball and a smash of lightning. i could tell then i had a whole new level of sub in my living room. it shook my couch! then on to the pod racer scene. it was awesome. so much rumble and low end stuff that i had never heard on my infinity tss-1100 sub. i've always liked that scene because it's just a lot of fun. the phoenix obviously takes it to another level. then i watched the scene on the war of the worlds where the scary monster rises up out of the street and lays waste to everything in sight. i gotta tell ya. it was a little scary. i thought my floor was gonna split open like the street on the movie. very intense. and it's so weird how some lfe's "feel" different than others. there were some rumbles in the war of the worlds where i could feel the vibrations going vertical up thru the middle of my body while other times it was more horizontal if you know what i mean. anyway, hell of a sub and i can't wait to put in flight of the phoenix later tonite (crash scene).
post #9954 of 21031 Old 11-20-2009, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

I spent some time this afternoon calibrating the subs to the rest of my speakers and Wow! What a difference. These Sentinels kick ass! I tested out with some Iron Man & The Dark Knight I picked up Star Trek and can't wait to watch tonight. I'm a happy camper

Tom -- How does the sentinel compare against the SVS you have. Any comments? I just picked up mine from Fed Ex this PM after work. Mine will be a week before i have everything running right (All New Speakers..etc)
post #9955 of 21031 Old 11-20-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Hey epik crowd, I am considering if I need a second sub or how I can make it work without the as-eq1...My DIY sealed subs went VERY wrong...

Take a look please!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1198203
post #9956 of 21031 Old 11-20-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohmony View Post

Tom -- How does the sentinel compare against the SVS you have. Any comments? I just picked up mine from Fed Ex this PM after work. Mine will be a week before i have everything running right (All New Speakers..etc)

Well, sound quality wise the Sentinel is better. It has better response up top and blends really well with my mains. It has better stop/start response, it must be that massive motor behind the 12" cone and almost double the amplifier power of the SVS. It sounds really clean an tight, no over hang. I haven't tested 1 for 1, I have both Sentinels running. Amazing output, I believe Chad now when he said, two have more output than a single Dynasty 16Hz and up. I would love to run a quad set-up of these but, I'm pretty sure I will be ordering another one. I just finished Star Trek and there is some awesome bass. Fun movie. I felt in back of the subs and the amps are just slightly warm to the touch. Great quality subs, build like a tank.
post #9957 of 21031 Old 11-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Tom - I'm curious to which SVS sub are you comparing the Sentinel? It sounds like the Epik is a better sub from what I read, true statement?

Sony 75X940E JTR 110HT, Single 8HT, Captivator 1400 Denon X4200W Sony X800M2 ATV4K
post #9958 of 21031 Old 11-21-2009, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post

Tom - I'm curious to which SVS sub are you comparing the Sentinel? It sounds like the Epik is a better sub from what I read, true statement?

He stated a couple of pages back the PB12 NSD
post #9959 of 21031 Old 11-21-2009, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Thanks, missed that.

post #9960 of 21031 Old 11-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

That was before he had given them any time to be broken in and placed properly within his room. I think his opinion might have changed based on this comment:

"...Wow! What a difference. These Sentinels kick ass!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page